Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipwreck Pie

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 10:34

I make this all-the-time, all year round. Made one last weekend and took pics.
It is a one pan/skillet meal. At a recent family reunion, they all spoke of 'Shipwreck' being the most memorable meal when visiting Newfoundland over the past years.

The origins are not clear but it seems everyone in my coastal small village has a version and know what i mean when i speak of it or serve it. Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans who lived in isolated communities were often faced with the scarcity of food due to harsh winters. "We�re shipwrecked" was used when cupboards and root cellars were emptying.

All seem to start with the basics; potato, rice, onion, carrot. Any canned goods. Sometimes peas and tomato. Any fish or meat to finish, usually salt cod.

I suppose a modern version would be called a 'storm pie'. Or, starring into the pantry, 'quick-whats-for-dinner pie'. A snowed-in day, or a tree is down after a storm blocking passage. I don't use canned goods or tomato. Just what i have fresh. We all have a pantry full of favorites and anything goes that makes sense to taste.

This recent one i used my small 9inch cast iron. Just the two of us. I use the 12, 14, and the 16inch for a big crowd and stuff it!

Using up some last garden goodies and some flounder fillets we caught...brown rice and quinoa, black rice and lentils...
(I had grains left over and often make them ahead on sunday for lunches, but can be made just for this dish, a cup or two)
-the carrots did get a good scrub, lol. This is just pulling out what i had and deciding what to use...they are fresh from garden soil...

This post was edited by sleevendog on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 10:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipwreck Pie

Cast iron is best for this. And a mandolin. On a low heat with just a tsp of oil, i use grapeseed or coconut, i start with a thin layer of potato, then sweet potato, onion, garlic, parsley...this one has a bit of grated parm...
-The potatoes are starting to cook as i prep the next...

o

Carrots, celery, yellow beets, more onion...

o

The cooked grains...pat them down...
-that is garden celery leaves...optional, lol.

o

Top with more sweet and regular potato...

o

Pre-heat oven 375, cover 'shipwreck' and steam on low heat for aprox 10-15 min. on stove burner...
Transfer to middle of oven and bake uncovered for 1/2 hour...peek and check, but you want a bit of top brown.
-i did salt and pepper and drizzled another tsp of olive oil...so far just barely a tbsp of oil and no other stock or liquid needed as the veggies and potatoes are releasing their liquids...

This post was edited by sleevendog on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 11:00

o

uh-oh, the next step, baked, must be on husbands phone...
Here is one from last summer in a larger cast iron and topped with seared steak.
(if we had unexpected guests, i would have sliced the steak, topped with the fresh tomatoes, and put back in the over for 5min.) Would serve 4 easy but we probably finished it off...or had leftovers for breakfast....

o

Here is another one from Sept. Probably flounder and lots of fresh tomatoes, olives, lemon...on top of the potato bake. I just placed the fish on the 'shipwreck', (hot from the oven), with fresh toms and veggies, a bit of breadcrumbs, then back in the oven for 5, then broil for a few minutes. The potatoes, 'shipwreck', got buried that time...i prefer to see the paper thin potatoes up the sides...they get crisp like chips...(my dads favorite part, the crispy edges)

o

How about another pic...filleting flounder this past August...
(edit-i'll do another post about fish)

This post was edited by sleevendog on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 3:48

o

'Making fish'...salting cod...
(sorry, saving that for another post)

This post was edited by sleevendog on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 3:46

o

Loved the tutorial and the photographs. What a process for "making fish"!
How do you protect it from predators?? Hawks, herons, eagles, gulls, raccoons, fox, etc??

o

The heck with the pie...tell me more about that beautiful location and did you catch the fish in that body of water?

o

Mmmmm. it all looks good. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Sally

o

mustangs, that pic was the NorthAtlantic, coastal Newfoundland.
seagrass, the cod is in a rock salt 'pickle' for 3-10 days. Then a good three days of good dry windy coastal air. We take it in every night. A process passed down from generations past. We were taught by neighbors. We have a few thieving minks in the village, but they have not bothered our fish. The coastal birds have plenty of fresh catch in the sea though a few ravens, (i've heard the cussing), have been known to carry off a few, lol.

o

I love dishes like this, that invite experimentation and improvisation. Nice pictures!

o

Oh, I'm filing this idea away for a cold night! What great pics, thanks for sharing!

o

Sleevendog, THANK YOU for posting the 'recipe'
And the great pictures!
Your Shipwreck pies look absolutely wonderful!

I dearly love meals of this type.
I see several family gatherings in the near future!

Rusty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here