SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

Pumpkin - not pie recipes

User
11 years ago

My hubby does not like pumpkin or squash but guess what I bought 2 pumpkins anyways 25 cents each. I now need to find a way to disguise them into dish he will eat and enjoy. Please post your recipes. Thanks

Comments (21)

• agmss15
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I hated Pumpkins and Squash as a kid and love them now. I am not sure about disguising them because they are so distinctive in color and taste. I like them in curries and soups. I made a vegetarian curry with yellow peas and squash that was very good. It went well with the more strongly flavored greens my garden is producing now.

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

One of my favorite side dishes at this time of year is Aunt Fanny's Baked Squash. Google it and you will find the recipe. Easy to make, and you can use pumpkin as well as virtually any type of winter squash.

• Related Discussions

Any T&T recipes for banana squash?

Q

Comments (3)
    Anything that you would make with butternut squash will work with banana. I have a soup that I make all winter long that will work with either one. You can also steam and puree it. I imagine that will freeze well and then you can make soups or a mashed potato concoction--whipped puree of... Butternut Squash Soup 1 Tblsp Olive oil or butter 2-3 lbs Butternut squash, peeled, and diced into 1 inch chunks 3 large carrots chopped 1 medium onion chopped 1 Tblsp ginger(1"piece) or ginger juice from Wms Sonoma 2 quarts of vegetable stock or chicken stock or cold water (mixed chicken and veggie) 1 bunch parsley, chopped Pinch of: nutmeg Powdered ginger Curry powder Parmesan cheese Heat the oil or butter over medium heat in a large saucepot, sauté the squash, carrots, onion and ginger for 3 minutes, until they are lightly browned. Add the stock and some orange zest (if desired) and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer and cook uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the parsley, nutmeg, salt, pepper, ginger and curry to taste. Puree the soup with a handheld immersion blender, food processor or regular blender until smooth and creamy. Soup can be garnished with fresh sage leaves and Parmesan Crostini. Serves 4-6 people
    ...See More

Amazing pumpkin recipe

Q

Comments (2)
    Mmm, the Pumpkin Whoopie Pie recipe sounds delicious. I'd really like to bake these today, but I wonder if some of the oil could be replaced with yogurt? I don't have any apple sauce.
    ...See More

Uncooked egg whites in my pie recipe?

Q

Comments (9)
    I had wondered about the pasteurized eggs too. Hmmm, will they work? Kissing a horse? I think I'll pass on that one! I don't understand why my recipe looks so screwed up from my work computer. I checked and re-did some symbols before I hit submit. I'm guessing it's the font that I used, but I see it occasionally in other's posts too.
    ...See More

Pumpkin Pie recipe? Grainlady

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm not grainlady, but my DD used the recipe on the Libby's can and just substituted the agave nectar for the sugar using the recommended amount on the bottle of agave for the sugar exchange. It was very good. I just called her. She said she thinks that she used 1/4 c. agave nectar instead of the 3/4 c sugar. And to use a little less pumpkin than called for because the agave is liquid and the pumpkin makes it liquidy, too. If you don't it doesn't set up right. tami
    ...See More
  • centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

If you want to hide the pumpkin I suggest pumpkin bread, muffins, cookies, or soup. Maybe use it in a lasagna.

Alexa made pumpkin whoopie pies, I think.

Eileen

• jimster
    11 years ago

Make jack-o-lanterns.

Jim

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone have any T&T recipes? and or tricks to remove shell from the seeds. Pumpkins were frozen solid when I bought them still thawing so I have lots of time. Thanks for the ideas.

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Pumpkin Bread Recipe

Ingredients

3 cups flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    3 eggs
    2 cups pumpkin puree
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions

1. Mix dry ingredients with fork

2. Add pumpkin, eggs, and oil; mix with fork just until mixed

3. Pour into two greased loaf pans

4. Bake 55-60 minutes in 350F oven
  • trudy_gw
    11 years ago

We love love love pumpkin scones. I know there is a recipe from someone on this forum, but the search didnt produce the one I was looking for.
    Here is one I have made. To top the scones up a notch add cinnamon chips. Also theses freeze well but I dont frost before freezing.

PUMPKIN SCONES
    Ingredients:

SCONES:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup granulated white sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 cup canned pure (unsweetened) pumpkin
    3 tablespoons half and half cream
    1 large egg
    6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes

PLAIN GLAZE:
    1/2 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
    1 tablespoon milk (any kind)

SPICED ICING:
    3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
    1 to 2 tablespoons milk (any kind)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    pinch of ground ginger
    pinch of ground cloves
    Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425*F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Give it a light dusting of flour on top of that.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (through ginger).

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half and egg.

4. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut butter into the dry ingredients. Continue cutting until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (You may also use a food processor for this step. Pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs).

5. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then form the dough into a ball. The dough will be wet, but if it seems super sticky... just go ahead and sprinkle a little more flour into the dough until it's easier to handle. Remember, you want it to be somewhat sticky, and that's okay- but you also don't want it to stick to the baking sheet. Pat out dough onto the lightly floured baking sheet and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle that is about 9-inches long and 3-inches wide. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width, making three equal squares. Cut through the three squares diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough. Gently pull the triangles apart, leaving about 1/2-inch space between each one.

6. Bake 14 to 16 minutes on prepared baking sheet. Scones should begin to turn light brown.

7. While scones are cooling, prepare plain glaze by whisking ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until smooth.

8. When scones are cool, use a knife to cut them apart and then pull them apart so that they are ready for glazing. Use a brush to paint a coating of the glaze over the top of each scone.

9. As the white glaze firms up, prepare spiced icing by whisking the ingredients in another medium bowl until smooth. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone (or brush it on) and allow the icing to dry before serving.

Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Top Secret Recipes)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumkin Scones

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

Do want sweet or savory? I love pumpkin bread, muffins, scones and cookies. Here are some dinner recipes. Some of them look interesting.

Pasta Sauce + Pumpkin
    Pumpkin Confetti Rice
    Pumpkin Risotto
    Beef & Pumpkin Shepherd's Pie
    "Vegged-Out" Pumpkin & Black Bean Soup
    Baked Ziti with Pumpkin & Sausage
    Pumpkin and Cranberry Risotto

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

I love these little mini souffles. I make them several times every fall, often serving them with a tortilla soup.

Chile Cheddar Pumpkin Souffles

2 cups pumpkin puree
    3 eggs, separated
    1/2 t salt
    1 1/2 oz. Cabot Habenero Cheddar Cheese, shredded
    1/8 t baking soda
    2 t flour
    finely pulverized breadcrumbs

Butter 6 individual souffle dishes or custard cups. Coat the bottom and sides with bread crumbs.

Mix the pumpkin, egg yolks, flour, salt and soda together. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Stir about 1/3 of the egg whites into the pumpkin mix to lighten, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.

Divide batter among the souffle dishes. Bake at 350˚F for 15 minutes or until firm and lightly browned on the top.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Good memory Barnmom! I am making a batch right now for a little post hurricane office celebration tomorrow....

Alexa

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
    Cookie Cake Ingredients:
    2 egg yolks
    2c brown sugar
    1c vegetable oil
    2c cooked pumpkin (or 1-15 oz can)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. ginger
    1 tsp cloves
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3c flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    Beat egg yolks, brown sugar and oil together, add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until smooth.
    Mix in dry ingredients.
    Drop heaping tablespoons of batter on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool on cookie rack. Mix filling ingredients and fill cookies like a sandwich. Makes about 18 pies.

Filling Ingredients:
    1/2c butter
    4 oz. marshmallow fluff
    8 oz. cream cheese
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 1/2c powdered sugar
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix in a stand mixer and use a the filling inbetween 2 cookies.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Darn, I can't find my pumpkin recipes that I have been saving for many years; I'll keep looking. I love pumpkin.

PUMPKIN DIP (about 1 1/2 cups)
    2 pkg (3 oz each) cream cheese, softened
    1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
    2 tsp maple syrup
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, beat the cheese & brown sugar until well blended. Add the pumpkin, maple syrup & cinnamon & beat until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

• booberry85
    11 years ago

There's a bunch of good ideas with recipes below for pumpkin.

Readinglady, a few years ago, posted a recipe for autumn loaf. I love the stuff. It seems like I always lose the recipe and wind up hunting for it on the net this time of year.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC Good Food

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I make pumpkin black bean soup. I use 2-3 cans of black beans to 1 can of pumpkin (the equivalent of 2 cups of cooked pulp). The original recipe called for the 3 to 1 ratio, but I can't taste the pumpkin that way, so I cut down on beans. The texture is very nice with the addition of the pumpkin. I would also add a can of tomatoes, some broth and sauteed onion, garlic, bay leaves and herbs of choice. I don't use an exact recipe because I've been making it this way for years.

I also cook pumpkin pie filling in ramekins in a water bath. It's easier than making a crust and healthier in my opinion. Of course, there will be a crust for the T'giving version.

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Pumpkin Roll

3 eggs
    1 c sugar
    3/4 c flour
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1/2tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 c canned pumpkin
    8 oz chopped walnuts

Grease jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350�.

In large bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beat until light. Mix in flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, soda, salt and pumpkin, blend well. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts. Bake 15 minutes. Turn out onto clean kitchen towel, and roll up into towel. Cool.

Frosting:
    6 oz cream cheese
    1 c powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 T butter

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.

Unroll cooled cake, remove towel, spread with frosting and roll back up. Chill well, slice to serve.

Hearty Pork Stew with Squash Source: Penzey�s 2/09 1\-1/2 lb boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and cubed (I used boneless chops) 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices 1 medium onion, chopped 2 c peeld parsnips, cubed 1\-1/2 c butternut squash, peeled & cubed 4 c chicken broth 1 T fresh sage or 1 tsp dried 2 tsp fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 3 T flour 3 T butter, softened In 4\-5 quart slow cooker, mix the pork and remaining ingredients except flour and butter. Cover and cook on low 6\-7 hours. OR... place in a covered pot in the oven at 350F for 2 hours. In a small bowl, mix together the flour and butter. Gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase setting to high or return to oven. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until thickened. 6 servings ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake source: Betty Crocker For the crust: 2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted For the filling: 4 pkgs. 8 oz. each cream cheese, softened 1 1/2 cups sugar 4 eggs 1 cup canned pumkin not pumpkin pie mix 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg Heat your oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 9 inch springform pan with shortening or cooking spray. Wrap foil around the pan to catch drips. In a small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter. Press crumb mixture in bottom and 1 inch up sides of pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or till set. Cool 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with mixer on medium speed just till smooth and creamy, do not overbeat. On low speed, gradually beat in sugar. On low speed, beat in eggs, one at a time, just till blended. Spoon 3 cups of cream cheese mixture into pan over crust. Spread evenly. Stir pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into remaining cream cheese mixture; mix with wire whisk until smooth.Spoon over top of mixture in pan. Bake 1 hour and 25 minutes to 1 and a half hours or till edges are set but the center jiggles slightly when moved. Turn off oven; open door at least 4 inches. Leave cheesecake in oven for 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven; place on wire rack to cool. Without releasing side of pan, run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen the cheesecake. Cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes. Cover loosely, refrigerate at least 6 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen cheesecake again, carefully remove side of pan. Place cheesecake on a serving platter. Store cheesecake covered in fridge. Linda
  • User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am excited to try these book marking this page My hubby said yesterday if it is the difference between eat pumpkin or starve he would but I am hoping some of these will help him enjoy it.

Mustangs what do you use pumpkin dip for?

Mabel- I have never made a "Sou-fell" before but this looks like it could be a hit he loves spicy.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Well if hubby likes spicy, you might try Thai pumpkin curry. I love the stuff, and you can make hotter if you like by shaking some ground cayenne or other hot chili pepper into it (or not, as your tastebuds dictate). You need Thai red curry paste, but they sell it now in almost every grocery store. It is not hot so don't be intimidated. Just make sure you don't accidentally buy something labeled "hot". You can also get coconut milk in most groceries nowdays. I buy the "lite" because the regular is way too rich for my taste. As for the fish sauce, I bought some to do Thai food, but you could try Worcestershire sauce instead, since it is kinda fishy. Or anchovy paste mixe with lite soy sauce. It's worth buying the fish sauce if you do any type of Thai cooking. You can usually find that now in the Asian section of the grocery store. The other sauce products will add additional flavor ingredients that you may or may not like. BF and I love this dish. Thanks to JessyF who turned us on to it!

Thai Pumpkin & Chicken Curry
    Look for small, sweet pumpkin varieties like Sugar Pie or Cheese or substitute butternut squash. To prepare the pumpkin or squash, steady it on its side on a rigid cutting surface and, using a large, sharp knife, cut it in half through the stem end. (If the peel is thick, tap the knife with a mallet.) Scoop out the seeds and fibers with a large metal spoon. Finally, peel and cut as desired.
    Ingredients:
    1 small pumpkin or butternut squash, about
    1 1/2 lb., halved, seeded, peeled and cut into
    bite-size cubes
    2 shallots, chopped (Can use regular onion)
    3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1 Tbs. Thai red curry paste
    1 can (13 1/2 fl. oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
    2 Tbs. Asian fish sauce
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
    3 Tbs. corn or peanut oil
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into
    bite-size cubes (We always use breast meat)
    2 Tbs. slivered fresh basil, preferably Thai basil (Dried regular basil added to the stew works fine)
    Steamed rice for serving
    Directions:
    Cook the pumpkin
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pumpkin and boil just until barely tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well and set aside.

Prepare the curry base
    In a blender, combine the shallots, garlic and curry paste with 2 Tbs. water and process until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar.

Cook the curry
    In a wok or large fry pan over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the oil. Add the chicken and sear until light brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl.

Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the curry base and cook, stirring, for about 10 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the coconut milk mixture and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and pumpkin, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork and the chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes more.

Transfer the curry to a serving bowl, garnish with the basil and serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series, Asian, by Farina Wong Kingsley (Oxmoor House, 2007).

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I've made pumpkin hummus a couple of times and it's delicious and even more healthy than plain hummus. I serve with crudites and pita chips.

not my pic

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin hummus

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

I just roasted three Cinderella pumpkins. I have a massive amount of pumpkin puree. So I'm glad to see all these recipes.

Canned pumpkin can't compare to pumpkin you cook yourself so I stocked up. :) It will go into into the freezer in 2 cup portions.

Maybe fresh cooked pumpkin will win him over.

Eileen

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

This chili is very good

Red's Famous Pumpkin Chili
    Serves 6

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can (16 oz) pumpkin or 2 cups fresh cooked, mashed
    1/2 cup chopped sweet white onion
    1 tbsp chili power
    1 tbsp cumin
    Garlic to taste
    Oregano to taste
    Salt & pepper to taste
    2 cans(16 oz each) diced stewed tomatoes (undrained)
    1 can (16 oz) dark red kidney beans (undrained)

Cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in pumpkin, onion and spices. Simmer 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 more minutes.

**Note - you may need to add a little water if too thick. This tastes even better the next day.

Don't remember where I found this recipe, but I substituted black beans for the kidney and home canned tomatoes for the canned stewed.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

froze mine in 1 cup portions there are only 2 of us. I did try and save some in chunks for stews and curry. I think he is in for a shocker when I make that curry dish.

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

CLB, Pumpkin Dip: sliced pears, apples, ginger snaps, or a spread on zucchini or pumpkin bread. I like to use a small, hallowed out raw pumpkin as the serving dish.