Loose Leaf Tea

pretty.gurl
11 years ago

My world has been changed forever.

Comments (57)

• pretty.gurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in NWPA. Sorry, I updated my profile. I am not a big social media person so all of that is new to me. I only started texting a couple months ago.

I received a jasmine blend. All I can say is wow. I will take a look at that website. Thank you.

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

I second the recommendation for Upton Tea.

• Related Discussions

have: have: homemade herbal loose leaf relaxation tea

Q

Comments (6)
    I would love frens for the shady area in the yard. The tea is great with a tiny bit of hiney and everytime anybody visits they make me send them home with some. Email me at heather.coom@bresnan.net with your address and I will respond with mine. I will get the tea out right away. Take care Heather
    ...See More

Fill-Your-Own Teabags

Q

Comments (9)
    There's a coffeehouse in Charlottesville that puts loose leaf tea in bags that are sealed on three sides and have large rectangular tabs on the open side. They close this part between the cup and the lid so it's easily reached when you're ready to remove the bag. Of course due to capillary action it's wet anyway, but not too hot since it's up out of the water. I don't think this method lets the tea swirl around as much during steeping, but the bags were pretty big so it seemed to work ok. I've been making iced tea in quart jars with boiling water and a Luzianne quart-sized tea bag. I steep it for 4 minutes and then remove the tea bag and add 1/3 cup sugar. Within a few hours it's ready to keep me awake. At work I make hot tea from Barry's gold blend. Barry's is like the Irish equivalent of Lipton, but it has a very strong brisk taste. One small teacup of that can be enough to make me jittery in a way that coffee rarely does. My aging grandmother said she had noticed that she was able to taste tea again, but it turned out her health aide had brought in some Irish tea. Melissa
    ...See More

Buying loose tea on line? Tea recommendations

Q

Comments (24)
    Another recommendation for Upton Tea Company. They have an excellent selection and their shipping dept is awesome. The package arrives in two or three days. DH likes flavored iced tea and drinks it all year round, so I order various flavored teas from Upton, i.e., apricot, black currant or mango. I make it in a coffeepot. They sell iced tea makers but I think a coffeepot works just as well. I like brewed hot tea, especially Nilgiri and Irish Breakfast. They have so many types, it boggles the mind! I'd love to try lots of them.
    ...See More

What spices herbs staples do you always need on hand?

Q

Comments (12)
    I have a full six foot tall spice rack a couple steps from either the prep area or the stove, so most are right to hand. Therefore, my anser is predicated differently. There are a few things that aren't necessarily culinary go-tos, but grab quicks, in a little cupboad next to the hood. The salt and pepper grinders sit by the stove. In the little cupboard are oil and wines for general cooking, Bragg's aminos, regular shaker salt, flor de sal, gray and Himalayan salt, lemon pepper, garlic pepper (with and without salt), mushroom salt, garlic and herb blend, herbs de province, and fines herbs. That is, in the spice realm, mostly salt and pepper, which I use sparingly, and handfuls of herbs together, which I use a lot. My real go-tos, in no order, are fenugreek, smoked Spanish paprika, cumin, hot pepper powders, dried onion and garlic powders, cinnamon, cloves, mace, Mexican oregano, thyme (though I'm more likely to get that from the garden), marjoram. All the rest are used regularly, but in their own time. I figure there are others I use a lot, but if they don't come to mind, they must not be all that. The dried chopped veg are also in the spice rack, and I use them a lot: onions, mixed sweet peppers onions herbs, parsley.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    11 years ago

So funny that you posted this today. I was in center city for lunch yesterday and saw a great tea shop called Steap. I personally am a coffee lover but I have occasionally enjoyed a good cup of tea. I have never been able to duplicate that tea at home, despite a cupboard full of Celestial Seasonings, Twinings, etc. So, I bought two sample bags of tea at Steap. One is organic black with coconut and the other is french breakfast. The salesperson was very helpful and let me sniff a lot of them. I haven't made them yet but if they taste as good as they smell -- wowza. In fact, I caould be happy just keeping the bags to sniff once in awhile.

I have one of those tea balls, although she recommended something that looked like a little strainer. I had a cute teapot and teacup set but I could not stand the person who gave it to me, so I got rid of it. I would not enjoy my tea if I thought of her every time I had a cup.

I'll let you know how I like them after I try them later. The store had such cute tea sets, I can see how you would easily get hooked on buying them.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

I save the used tea leaves, dry them up and use them to smoke food.

dcarch

• bcskye
    11 years ago

Oh, no! Grainlady, you just had to direct us to the tea infuser page, didn't you? And I just had to fall in love with a couple. Seriously, I have a Noritake set (gold over red in a western shape) tea set from when I lived in Japan that I have never used and I think its about time to get it out. I also have a dark brown teapot from Japan decorated in a couple of colors and gold that was my mother's and I've never used it. I have two utilitarian tea balls and a couple of bags of loose leaf tea from a store I think is called Teavanna. Time to do some brewing.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Loose leaf tea has a completely different taste than bagged tea. My favorite is a malty Assam, because I like my tea strong with milk. I also favor the classic Orange Pekoe, which I am not sure why they they call orange since it has no orange color or taste. I have a tea ball and one of those spring loaded tsp.-like things but the thing that makes the best cup of tea for me is the strainer that you put in a mug, pour the water into it, steep and then remove the strainer from the mug. I can do tea in a pot too, but lazy me hates to clean teapots. They make those strainers in ceramic which theoretically would be the best but the stainless works for me. If only I could drink tea again! I get the Upton Teas catalog but never ventured into many of the brands, because I couldn't afford them and then I got sick. Would be a great Christmas gift for a tea lover, they have lots of great teas and tea toys!

• agmss15
    11 years ago

A friend used to get some expensive green tea varieties from Upton for special events and on several occasions I was lucky enough to partake. I never ordered the fancier varieties myself but I've enjoyed whatever I got from them.

I have a couple of small cast iron tea pots but covet my mom's insulated french press. Current favorite is Dragonwell with a bit of fresh verveine which is sulking in a pot on my windowsill.

• User
    11 years ago

It's wonderful, isn't it. What a startling difference.

I use these reusable tea bags. I have a tea measuring spoon to fill it in the morning for my tea. My kids are always picking up interesting loose teas for me when they travel. I can get a good number of re-uses out of one bag. I let it dry, shake out the old tea and refill. I especially like using them at work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reusable tea bags

• dedtired
    11 years ago

I am sitting here sipping the black with coconut. The house smells of macaroons and I am craving one. The aroma is heaven ly but I wish the taste was a bit stronger. Next time I will let it steep a minute longer. I followed the directions to a t(ea). Boiling water, 1 tsp of tea, steep for 4 - 5 minutes. I let it go for 4.5 minutes, splitting the difference.

Now I am anxious to try the different methods. Maybe I shouldn't have given away the "bad karma" tea pot so fast.

• elba1
    11 years ago

Simpson & Vail is another wonderful tea company.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Last year, I discovered loose Green Tea. It's another world, the flavors are amazing. I'll have to look into the black teas mentioned here as well.

Cj

Here is a link that might be useful: Dens Tea

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I have used Upton Teas forever. Love their teapots. Love the occasional free samples and the lovely variety.
    Do subscribe to their tea catalog. It is great reading.
    I highly recommend them.

And, oh, my. Thank you Dcarach for the idea of using the tea leaves to smoke food. Hmmm. Can I use coffee grounds? Seriously.

• agmss15
    11 years ago

Coffee grounds are the only way I ever kept an indoor Gardenia happy.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I enjoy both coffee and tea, and I have the infuser I've linked to below. It sits on top of my mug and doesn't leave any of the "floaties" that a couple of my tea balls do.

Right now I am drinking some Irish Breakfast tea, it's not just for breakfast. My coffee this morning was Paramount Breakfast Blend. Hmmmm. I sense a pattern. (grin)

I found one of my favorite teas in the bulk section of a Mediterranean market, simply marked "Ceylon". It was very inexpensive, less than $2 a pound and makes the best iced tea I've ever had, so be adventurous and look around.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiss Gold Mug Infuser

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

I can't get so excited about whether or not my tea is loose or bagged. It's the quality of the tea and the flavour that matters and I think that there is some great tea in bags too. I like Yunnan for breakfast and darjeeling for the rest of the day.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

We buy our coffee at Peet's, and they also have a nice selection of fine quality loose-leaf teas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peet's Teas

• chas045
    11 years ago

Even Lipton's is a different product in the loose-leaf box. Many years ago Consumer Reports gave it a very high rating while listing the tea bagged product in the also ran section. And if you go into a Peets just for some tea, be sure to get in the coffee line and see what real coffee tastes like.

• suzyqtexas
    11 years ago

I only buy loose tea also A nice bold english breakfast is my favorite. The "Albert Square" blend frm the Tea Source is what I drink everyday!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tea Source

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

I love the Lipton loose leaf. Yes, totally different product from the bagged. My great grandma swore by it, she said it was as good as the stuff she got from "the old country" which in her case was Holland.

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

Silly question maybe -- is it something about the tea bag itself that is the problem (imparts a taste, maybe?) or is it that loose tea uses different kinds of tea leaves than they put in bags? Would you get similar results if you emptied the leaves out of a tea bag and brewed them loose? I have a few tea infusers, but I have to admit it's easier for me just to use bags and not have to clean out wet leaves.

I probably don't belong in this thread -- I like my tea iced, sweet, and strong and I am content to use decaf "family size" iced tea bags for that. I usually only drink it hot when I am sick, and then I still prefer plain black tea, or rooibos if I don't want caffeine. But I am really enjoying reading all your tea posts; they make me want to go try some different ones. (But still black, I think... I have never been able to get excited about any of the green teas I've tried; oolong was a little better but still too green for my taste.)

• jadeite
    11 years ago

northcarolina - no, tea in tea bags is not the same as loose leaf. Tea bags have ground tea to allow it to brew quickly. There are jokes in the industry that bags have "sweepings", i.e. stuff that is swept up after loose tea leaves have been packed.

I convinced a friend to switch to loose leaf when we bought Twinings Jasmine in bags and compared it to Twinings Jasmine leaves steeped in a pot. There was no comparison.

I'm a purist, so I always steep tea in a ceramic pot and drink it from a ceramic cup or mug. No metal or plastic comes into contact with the tea. To my taste, the flavor is changed for the worse.

I've been customer of Upton teas for years, back when they were in Upton - they're in Hopkinton now. My current tea stash has jasmine dragon phoenix pearl, Earl Grey, gunpowder green, Yunnan silvertip, lapsang souchong, pai mu tan, moonlight white, Yunnan dao ming, and Yunnan golden monkey. I LOVE tea!

Cheryl

• User
    11 years ago

How to make the perfect cup of tea

The Orwell Prize / a Nice cup of tea

I like drinking tea, but never found one that I really liked until I read the first link.

When I was a child, my grandmother would make a concoction she called Cambric Tea - water, sugar, milk - it was awful and put me off milk in my tea.

I made tea following those instructions, and added my milk and let it sit, and I was absolutely gobsmacked, as they say, at how different tea tastes with milk. It's wonderful.

I use either Red Rose Earl Grey teabags, or loose tea, usually also Earl Grey. I've introduced co-workers, who drank the usual dreck in a teabag, to Earl Grey tea, and was pleased at how really surprised they were to find out how good tea can taste.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

I love my black tea! And, yes, loose tea is totally different from what I grew up with in tea bags. We drank it iced, unsweet. Or hot, unsweet, no milk. I have not had Upton's tea, but I have had Charleston Tea, from Charleston, SC. They are the only US tea plantation. You are making me want a cup! And I am also off caffine. Due to hormones. I can drink it, but I will pay with swelling and pain. I may have to pay.

Does anyone know of an herbal tea that tastes like the real thing? I don't like any flavored tea at all. Not even green tea. I especally like hot tea when I get cold. Of course, since I live in northern Ohio, I am cold!

Tami

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

I just wanted to bring this topic back to say that thanks to this thread I have been trying some loose leaf tea (Twinings English Breakfast; that and Earl Grey were the only loose ones at the grocery store). I am not sure I have the palate to tell the difference between loose and bagged of the same variety and brand -- I'd have to also get some bags and do a taste test -- but I am enjoying it so far. It is definitely a noticeable tea, ha, kept me awake in the late evening so I am reserving it for mornings now (gee, you think that's why they call it Breakfast? I don't remember bagged English Breakfast having that effect on me though.). I find it a little bitter for my taste, so I tried a little bit of milk as per the article linked a couple of posts up, and that does make a big difference. I haven't put milk in my tea since college but it does help this strong black tea.

I also see (now that I am re-reading the article) that they recommend a 2-min brew. I've been doing 3 min, since I like it strong and my other teas would get a bitter taste after 3 min; but I'll see what a 2-min brew does next time.

I am not doing the warm-the-teapot thing like George Orwell says. I suppose I am a heretic. But then I add sugar too. :)

tami_ohio, I like Charleston Tea too, when I can find it. I don't know of an herbal tea that tastes like black, but like you I don't much care for green tea, and I do like rooibos. It's from a different plant and it tastes completely different than black tea, but it might be a caffeine-free alternative for you if you can't have (or don't like) decaf black. One reason I like it is that if I forget about it and it steeps for too long, it keeps its mellow flavor and doesn't get bitter; but it still tastes like something (as opposed to most herbal teas which just taste like barely-flavored water to me).

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

This morning I'm having Upton's English Breakfast Assam and Ceylon blend with my breakfast. A few weeks ago I ordered about 8 sample packs from Upton's and I've been "sampling" them since they arrived. When I open a pack, I take a big sniff to get a hit of the tea aroma. I'm finding the Ceylon smells sweet to me - but there is no sweetener in the tea, just 100% Ceylon tea. The taste of Ceylon is not sweet but it is becoming a favorite. I ordered a blend with some lapsang souchong and can definitely smell that smoky tea in the mix.

As blended teas go, the Upton's Scottish Breakfast is my favorite. I never tire of it and always enjoy it - I'm just whittling down my tea supply and won't throw out any of the others on hand.

Next on my tea journey I want to try making blends of my own one mug at a time. Tea tastes are so personal so take the time to find something that tastes marvelous to you.

Teresa

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Lpinkmountain,
    It wasn't Swetouchne, was it? (Sorry, cannot recall spelling, but my Grandma made this when I was very, very young. One of those distant memories.)

• legomom23
    11 years ago

I just received my order today and I have a very beginner question:)

How do you heat the water?

• User
    11 years ago

I use an electric kettle. The best way is to pour boiling water over the tea (leaves, infuser, or bag). Then let it steep for at least two minutes, but I like to steep for about 5 minutes for black tea, and longer for lighter teas - white, green, herb. After it steeps I add milk, but only to black tea, and maybe sugar to other teas.

Good water is important too. We don't drink our well water, so our tea, made with Poland Spring water is always good.

Water for Tea

At work I can't boil water, I have to use the hot water from the water "cooler", and it's pretty hot, but the tea doesn't taste as good as tea made with good boiling water.

Have fun experimenting and enjoy.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Northcarolina, thanks for thinking of me. Where can I find the rooibus to try it, please?

I am not supposed to have caffine in any amount, not even chocolate for health reasons. I had to do with out all caffine for 3 months. It worked. I am back to having some, but I know it if I have too much. But I love tea when I get cold! It's the only thing that warms me up.

Oh, and Charleston Tea does do mail order!

Tami

• pretty.gurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to see the tea lovers are still enjoying a good cup!

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Tami - Upton tea sells about 20 varieties of rooibos. See link below. They offer sample packs for some smallish amount so you can try several different varieties.

Hope this helps,
    Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: rooibos at Upton tea

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Thanks Jadeite!

• compumom
    11 years ago

I just finished checking out a new Mediterranean grocery store and almost took a photo of their tea/coffee aisle for this thread. There was a plethora of choices available. I restrained myself for fear my DH will strangle me if I buy more teas until we work through some of what's on hand already!

• ruimi
    11 years ago

Hello Folks
    We buy loose leaf English Breakfast and Earl Grey and mix equal quantities in the tea caddy or container. It cuts back the bergamot flavour of the Earl Grey somewhat and makes a nice blend. I agree with you all that loose leaf is way ahead of bags, in the same way that freshly ground coffee beats the pants off 'instant'. Just a little more work I guess.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Ruimi, that blend sounds like something I should try! Thanks!

To all, when you order from Upton Teas, you can rate and comment on the teas you have sampled under Your Account. It helps to keep them straight and decide what to order in the future. I'm enjoying Ceylon OP = orange pekoe = leaf size, no orange flavor, from the Kandy District. Ceylon tea is one of my favorites!

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

I just got my latest Upton shipment on Friday. Good-sized bags of Russian Caravan and a really nice Darjeeling, with some Assam samples.
    For Earl Grey, we still prefer Twinings loose tea. The bergamot isn't too aggressive, which I guess is what Ruimi is after by blending Earl Grey with English Breakfast.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Late to the party.
    My brother introduced me to some excellent loose leaf green and black teas - mostly from Japan.
    He gave me specific steeping instructions for the teas - most of the green teas were to be steeped at 180 to prevent bitterness.
    He gave me a number of Adagio teas to try.
    I have been enjoying the many varieties. So much smoother than cut teas in bags.
    Also - if you are serious about tea - check out this forum.
    Teachat.com.
    Full disclosure - I am not a member but my DB is one of the moderators.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

CC, what Darjeeling did you order this time? I need to venture into Darjeeling with a sample or two on my next order.

Teresa

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Teresa, it's TD 50, No.1 Tippy Orthodox GFOP Darjeeling.

I usually didn't order Darjeeling, but one time I got a lot of samples of all kinds of black tea, and this was the standout.

• compumom
    11 years ago

If you are in reach of Peet's Coffee stores (California +?) their Earl Grey is delightful. Although its a bagged tea, I don't think it's cut like a typical bag. They brew it hot, but the flavor is so smooth, almost velvety. At least it was on the last cup I drank. I"ll be heading back soon to pick up more coffee and I'll try another cup of EG and see if its the same experience. No bitterness, even after sitting cold for hours. That was the most remarkable part of my experience!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Placed an order with Upton Tea this morning, more of my favorite Scottish Breakfast Blend, trying a new to me blend, Leadenhall Street Breakfast blend, and a sample pack of the Darjeeling recommended by Cloudy Christine. I never knew I could get so excited about tea!

Here is a pic of my favorite little teapot, a Swan aluminum pot:

I know you're not supposed to brew tea in a metal pot - but I can't taste any difference at all between this cute pot and my earthenware Brown Betty pot. I found this on Etsy at a vintage shop. I think it keeps the tea hotter longer too.

Teresa

• cloudy_christine
    11 years ago

Teresa, I used to brew tea in a lovely old pewter pot. That and an very old unglazed Chinese dragon pot worried my DH!
    Your metal one is very charming. I must get back to using more than just my everyday ones. I really miss using my Mason's transferware square teapot; I soaked it in bleach (a big mistake) and since then it exudes grainy crystalline stuff from the crazing.
    Some day I will count my tea pots.
    I hope you like that Darjeeling.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Kitchen Detective, great grandma swore by Liptons loose leaf, but I have had Swetouchne and like that too. And yes, it's not the end of the world to use a tea bag, the greatest difference in teas being the quality of the tea leaves. It's just easier to hide carpy tea in a tea bag, so caveat emptor. There's a lot of variety in teas so something for everyone. I don't know why I like the malty ones the best rather than the herbal or smokey ones, but it may have something to do with how well that tea holds up to Grandma's molasses cookies!

• Jamie.11
    11 years ago

Ah me too. My life is complete when I met loose leaf tea. It's very different from the tea that you can buy at the supermarket.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Ordered more tea from Upton's on Tuesday, 3/5 and it arrived Thursday, 3/7 with only $4.40 shipping charge. And a free sample of green tea.

Sign me "a happy customer"
    Teresa

• pretty.gurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went on an out of town loose leaf tea run to Wegmans. Lol. I took a trip for tea!

• petra_gw
    11 years ago

Lpinkmountain, I've read that D-Mannose and Marshmallow Root in combination are very good for IC relief and prevention. If you haven't tried those yet, it might be worth it.

Re. tea, hub and I are currently hooked on loose-leaf Rooibos and Tulsi. No caffeine and lots of health benefits, as well as very tasty. I just pour the hot water directly on the loose tea leaves in the pot and then pour the steeped tea through a small, fine-mesh sieve. Works perfectly to filter out all the leaves and bits and pieces.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I am not a big tea drinker but I have tried and enjoyed some of the Harney & Sons teas. I rarely see the name mentioned when tea comes up and wonder why? Would love to hear from a tea expert.

• jakkom
    9 years ago

For those who use any old pot around - in our case, a tempered glass coffeepot - the compostable paper filters are wonderful. I've linked to amazon's page as they have a picture which is self-explanatory.

One of my favorite teas is brewed at a couple of local restaurants. I haven't looked for it yet as we are stocked up with enough tea for the next year, all different kinds, LOL. It's a Ceylon-based black tea with organic lavender and vanilla. My DH doesn't normally like flavored teas - he hates Earl Gray and loves Turkish or Peet's (smoked) Russian Caravan - but he thought this flavored black tea was really exceptional.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper tea filters

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Okay just to dump those on the compost pile?