Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you like to serve with ham?

Posted by alicia7b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 07 at 9:55

A friend gave us a giant ham for Thanksgiving, and I'm fast running out of ideas for what to serve with it. What are your favorite side dishes with ham?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you like to serve with ham?

Applesauce, scalloped potatoes and roasted asparagus spears. But we like broccoli too - here's a new recipe that's become our current favorite.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garlic Broccoli Spears

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound fresh broccoli -- cut into spears
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 garlic clove -- minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Place the broccoli in a saucepan with a small amount of water; cover and cook until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients. Drain broccoli and place in a serving dish; add lemon mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Source:
"www.allrecipes.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

o

Scalloped Pineapple
Posted by: DanaIN (My Page) on Sat, Oct 5, 02 at 13:34

(An excellent accompaniment to your Easter ham.)

cup melted butter
4 cups fresh bread cubes
3 eggs
cup brown sugar
cup white sugar
cup Milnot canned milk (evaporated)
20 oz. crushed pineapple in juice; do not drain
cinnamon

Combine bread and butter, set aside. Combine eggs, sugar and Milnot; beat with mixer. Add bread mixture and pineapple, stir well and pour into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour or until set.

o

Pineapple Casserole

2 cans (16 oz. each) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place drained pineapple on bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
Mix together cheese, sugar, and flour and spread over pineapple.
Mix crushed Ritz crackers with melted butter and spread over top of cheese mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Note: Can double recipe and use a 13x9-inch baking pan.
Source: Roblyn Hymes at Recipe Link

Also,
fresh green beans and new potatoes (Red Bliss or Yukon Gold) cooked together with a little bit of bacon and finely minced onion.

Corn Pudding - will post a recipe later today

Corn Relish - good quality bottled or homemade

Baked Apricot Casserole
Source: P. Allen Smith

Ingredients
(4) 6 ounce packages of dried apricots or (4) 15 ounce cans
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 box of Ritz crackers, broken into pieces
2 sticks butter

Instructions
Start by soaking the 4 packages of dried apricots in boiling water - it will take only about 15 minutes for them to rehydrate. Or, open and drain the 4 cans of apricots.
With the apricots ready, remove them from the water or juice and line the bottom of a 2 quart buttered casserole dish with half of them.
Over the apricots, layer half of the light brown sugar (3/4 cup) followed by 1/2 box of Ritz crackers, broken into small pieces. Then cut up 1 stick of butter into small pieces and distribute the pieces evenly over the crackers. Repeat with another layer of apricots, brown sugar, Ritz crackers and butter. Bake for (1) hour in a preheated 300-degree oven.

This dish is delicious served with pork, chicken or duck and you may want to consider preparing it for a holiday dinner. I think it's best served as a dessert. All you have to do is put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

o

Au Gratin potatoes (with extra cheese) and any green, fresh, vegie.

o

I like it with scalloped potatoes.

I also like to use leftover ham in a fried rice, or just fry up some slices for breakfast (with eggs, pancakes, etc.)

o

Alicia : I love that name !!!

Nobody mentioned :

BAKED CANDIED SWEET POTATOES:
Just pour some Maple Syrup or some Pancake syrup,
Brown sugar,a pinch of Cinnomon, over them,
and bake till cooked ,while you are cooking the Ham.

HOW ABOUT SOME PINEAPPLE SAUCE FOR THE HAM ?????

Cook some crushed Pineapples in Orange Juice, until tender.
Along with an Italian pinch of powdered Cloves and sugar to taste.
Thicken with Corn Starch mixed in cold water,
remember, it thickens more, when it cools
LOU

o

I agree with Lou, my favorite side dish with ham is sweet potatoes, in any form and apples always seem to just "go" with ham or pork, so maybe some scalloped apples or a waldorf salad. My family also loves brussels sprouts, but I know many don't.

I also like to make scalloped potatoes with leftover ham, and I always make bean soup with the bone or trimmings. There is also the ever-popular (LOL) ham loaf, made of ground ham and baked like a meatloaf. We add chunks of ham to omelettes, to pots of greens and to baked beans too.

Annie

o

Corn Pudding - a family recipe, still the best (and simplest) I have found

2 cups fresh corn cut off the cob, or 2 cups frozen
1 cup milk
2 TB butter, melted
2 TB flour
3 eggs, beaten
salt and white pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a 1 qt or 1 1/2 qt greased casserole. Place casserole in a pan, fill pan with water so that the water level comes half way up the casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean.

o

I love scalloped potatoes, yams, and baked beans with ham.
Catherine

o

Baked beans, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, fried eggs and hash browns, asparagus and white cheese sauce in crepes, Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Not all together......well maybe

o

Thank you for these recipes! They sound great! I will definitely try them.

o

Pineapple kugel!
Noodle kugel
1 pound cooked noodles ( cook lightly so they dont get gluey)
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 carton cottage cheese
2 beaten eggs beaten with
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
cup sugar
tsp vanilla
Mix all and top with cornflake crumbs and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and drizzle with 1/2 stick of melted butterbake 350 for 45 minutes

o

Potato Salad....make it like a summer picnic!!!

o

Use some in split pea soup.

o

At my house, it's homemade mac and cheese made with a cheese that goes well with ham. Gruyere is my favorite, but Swiss would probably be good.

o

Some more suggestions:

Serve it cold with potato salad.

Dice it and use in omelets, or make a ham quiche.

Make a super ham sandwich: good, fresh bread smeared with mayonnaise and topped with thin slices of ham, slices of good cheese, slices of tomato, bits of crispy bacon and butter-sauted mushrooms warm from the pan.

Serve it warm with sugar-glazed potatoes, redcurrant jelly, Brussels sprouts and a salad. Make the salad from finely sliced white cabbage, grated carrots and quartered grapes, sprinkle a little brown sugar over it and drizzle some lemon juice over that, toss and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

Glaze the ham with a mixture of brown sugar, mustard and ketchup and serve with plain boiled potatoes, pineapple slices and Waldorf salad.

o

And with the leftover ham... Try boiled potatoes and cabbage....

Rita

o

Baked Roots!
Bake sweet taters, rutabaga, parsnips and yams with a little olive oil and a teaspoon or so of maple syrup. It's amazing! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here