SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

How large a turkey for 5 adults with leftovers?

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I checked Butterball calculator, they say 11 lbs (we also have DD who eats 1 chicken drumstick and is satisfied). We do like leftovers but I put in "heavy eaters" and leftovers in the calculator. I suggested that 12-15lbs may be the smallest I can find, my mom said larger but didn't say how large and she's in a meeting this morning. I'm heading out now and hope she emails me back.

I do recall last year my parents made a turkey, sent us home with some meat but not much (not enough for DH and DS anyway, I don't think we made too many sandwiches, or they ate a lot of sandwiches and I didn't have enough to make another meal) plus half a carcass for soup. I ended up cooking 1 I bought on sale for New Years or DH's birthday in Jan but I don't remember how big that was - it was way too big for the 4 of us and we had a lot of leftovers then.

Just for reference, a 6-7lb chicken will serve us 2 meals (no sandwiches) plus a big pot of soup (which might make 2 meals). My mom's not a big eater (I'd say I'm average) but we do like turkey sandwiches all weekend, my DH is average for a guy (again likes sandwiches), DS can eat a lot but also can restrain himself when he's not running, but my dad is a really big eater who can easily eat 1 lb of steak or roast, even more of salmon, I don't know how much turkey to allow for him with bones but I'd say 1.5-2 lbs just for TG, not sure how much to allow for leftovers/sandwiches.

So 7lbs plus 2 for my dad is 9 lbs really just for TG dinner (and soup), add 5 lbs for leftovers (with bones) and I'm still coming up with 14 lb bird should be enough for 5 adults and 1 really small kid?

If my dad usually does 20 lb or so now I know why they usually start it in the morning for mid-afternoon dinner. But I don't know what size they did last year that left my DH unsatisfied with the leftovers sent home with us.

I suppose I can always buy 2, cook 1 for TG to share with my parents and another in Jan for DH again. I have 2 chickens in the freezer I should cook in the next month or so anyway, so we'll have plenty of soup. And I can get another turkey on sale (probably after Xmas). We don't tend to do turkey for Xmas, it's too crazy with my sister and her family there, I'll have to ask her and my mom what they want to do this year, esp. since my dad will be having his 2nd knee surgery a week or 2 before.

Comments (8)