Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber Chicken? :-)

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 9:46

Annie's thread on "Boned/stuffed/rolled turkey" reminds me of something I have done, but have not yet posted here.

I saw Jacques Pepin and Julia Childs boning the whole chicken on TV. That was interesting. I decided to carry it one level higher, boning the whole chicken inside out without opening the chicken up.

Yes, it can be done. The chicken was completely, I mean completely cleanly boned, including all leg bones, wing bones, drum stick bones. The only bones remained were the soft wing tip pointy bones (phalange bones). All the bones were removed just from the two small openings that came with the chicken, the neck hole and the rear hole.

It looked and felt funny like a rubber chicken. LOL!!!

I did it because I planned to do a different version of truducken at some point, or to come up with some interesting recipes for stuffed chicken. A turkey probably would be easier because it is bigger.

Nice bones to make enough gravy.

dcarch

Photobucket

With all bones removed
Photobucket

Floppy chicken
Photobucket

Photobucket

Stuffed and roasted
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber Chicken? :-)

WOW, I'm impressed. You have no idea how good that looks right about now.

/tricia

o

Want to tell you how much I appreciate your photos!
Not something I would ever do, but enjoy your works!

o

Dcarch - That chicken looks so good! Like Tricia said I am impressed! I will have to practice a lot to get the same result. I enjoy all your ideas and always learn something new.

Silvia

o

I've seen a lot of roast chickens here but that one is by far the best!

Too bad you can't deliver one to tricia!

o

dcarch, that third picture looks like a chicken hoping to be a crab, LOL!

You are far more patient than I am, I was pretty much over the experience about 5 minutes into the turkey boning, LOL.
Although it wasn't difficult and took only about 15 minutes it's far too "picky" for my taste. It's not something I'd do on any regular basis and I sure wouldn't try to do it while leaving the bird intact, I'm far too impatient.

It's a nice looking bird, though. What does it look like after slicing? Or do you carve it like a traditional roast bird and remove the stuffing for serving?

Annie

o

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your kind comments very much.

Would you like to hear something weird?

You remember I just posted a thread about Jacques Pepin's steamed turkey, and also here I am on a thread about Pepin's method of boning a chicken.

Guess what, I was visiting a friend an hour ago on the train, there he was, Jacques Pepin in person!

He looked strange, so I asked him, "Is everything all right Mr. Pepin?"

"Yes, I am OK. I need to get off this train now; I am going in the wrong direction."

He got off the next station. I could have shown him this post on my Blackberry if he had stayed on the train.

Life's events sometimes can be very inexplicable.

Teresa, my roasted chicken possibly can be delivered to Tricia. You see, Jacques Pepin lives in Madison Connecticut, not that far from Tricia.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here