Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turkey gravy using roasting bag?

Posted by ovenbird (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 9:38

How do you make turkey gravy (no giblets please) when using a roasting bag? I've been volunteered to make the gravy this year and the turkey is being cooked in a roasting bag. I've no experience with roasting bags, so any help would be very much appreciated.

I'm imagining the gravy would be quite pale and without the goodness of a nice fond? Help and thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turkey gravy using roasting bag?

I've made gravy after using an oven roasting bag with no problem. It isn't really pale if I remember right. You can always add just a drop of gravy master if you want it darker. Or make a roue, letting the butter brown slightly, then use the drippings and broth to finish the gravy. I've only cooked about 4 turkeys in my 53 years, so maybe someone else can help more.

Happy Thanksgiving
Tami

o

Ovenbird, put the bird in the oven in the bag on a rack.

Cut a few holes on the bottom of the bag for the juice to drip to the roasting pan and brown.

A few drops of dark soy sauce will darken the sauce to any degree you want. Dark soy sauce, not the light kind.

dcarch

o

Thanks! I'm not the one cooking the bird, so the "drippings" will be whatever the cook decides. Soy sauce...brilliant!

Do the drippings and broth need to be somewhat cool (not hot) when added to the roue?

o

No, I would think it would mix better if it were warm or hot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here