SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

What's For Dinner? #284

canarybird01
15 years ago

I'm another who hasn't been here much lately but I must compliment everyone for the food and photos on the last thread!

Everything looks so good mmmmmm lovely shrimp, ham, beef dinners and more with pretty table settings as well.

And Stacey...your son is now so big and handsome!

Well to catch up...we have snow here....but it's up on the mountain and looked like this yesterday from our front garden.

Since it's been pouring for days with much needed rain, there have been more dinners in than out this past week.

We had fish three times, a repeat of that delicious Osso Buco recipe, Almond Breaded Chicken tenders and a Mac & Cheese with Tuna and peppers.We're still having salads as well as some purchased gazpacho which we drink from a glass:

Gazpacho & Salad

Osso Buco

Almond Breaded Chicken Tenders and Steamed Vegetables

1. Frozen Hake in Italian Sauce

2. Baked Grouper with Onion & Baked Tomato

3. Hake in Batter with Bratkartoffeln

4. Macaroni, Cheese, Tuna, Peppers & Onion in Casserole

5. Same again Plated.

Sun is out today so maybe I can wash and dry some laundry outdoors!

Happy Weekend everyone!

SharonCb

Comments (50)

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Stacy, I can't believe that is the same little boy we saw going off to kindergarten. He really is a handsome lad.

Sharon, fish three times a week would please Moe. Lovely photos as always.

I had the day off yesterday. I multi tasked. Started some bread dough rising while I got the swap figured out and all the emails out. By the time that was done, the bread was ready to shape. Saved some of the dough and made a pizza for dinner. Pepperoni and Mushroom. My favourite.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Great start for the new thread, Sharon! Wonderful pic of delicious foods!

Ann, that is lovely looking bread, and the pizza outstanding!

Marigene, chicken picatta one of my faves!

Stacey, that's a big 5th grader! I taught 5th grade, and some of the boys were tiny...he is going to be a bruiser..does he like football? Very cute!

Here's my table for Halloween, and dinner....
    Hope everyone had a safe one..I can't believe less than 2 mo till Christmas!

Vertical pear salad, my first attempt, need to practice..
    Potato Leek Soup with a sprinkle of bacon..
    Apple crisp..

• Related Discussions

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More
  • trsinc
    15 years ago

WOW! You are all so inspirational.

Sharon, I'm a little new to the CF (only a few months). I am so envious of your lifestyle I could spit (or cry)! Sometime, when it is convenient, could you share how you ended up in the Canary Islands? That's where you are, right?

Ann, your bread is exactly what I try to do when I bake bread. Love that crusty exterior. Could you please share your recipe or give me a link to a previous thread for it? I have a 'James Beard on Bread' cook book, but I'm sometimes disappointed with how they turn out. I'm still learning the bread thing...

Kathleen, I love your Halloween table setting. It was so elegant as well as your food. I've been telling my husband I should start taking pictures to post, but I could never do it as well as you, and others, do here.

Stacy, I saw your son's pic on the other thread. I think he'll be a lady killer when he grows up. He's already so tall!

I kind of lost track of that thread later... hope Ann's recipe isn't on that one. I'll check after I post.

And again Ann, if it isn't there, could you please share your recipe? And, do you have variations for whole wheat/half and half, etc.?

Tonight I worked in the garden until 7:00, so all I had for supper was a lot of water! lol Now I'm having a glass of wine for dessert. I had a late lunch of bean soup and cornbread, so don't think I'll be teetering around drunk... :)

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Trsinc, I love bread with a good crust too.

Try this recipe. The dough is a very wet dough. I takes some practice working with this type of dough. I put together a couple of pictorials that you might find useful.

Italian Bread

Working with a wet dough.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Italian Bread
    =============
    This recipe is also perfect for both Focaccia and Pizza.

Sometimes I make a Biga the night before using 1 1/2 cups of the flour used in this recipe with one cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon yeast. If you don't have time to make the biga then this the recipe works just fine as follows. This is a very wet dough and needs to be mixed in a machine for a long time before you can finish kneading by hand. I use a Magic Mill Machine. If you are using something like a kitchenaide you have to watch it carefully as it climbs up the beater or hook.

8 Cups Bread flour
    1 Tablespoon Yeast
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Salt
    about 4 cups of water
    2 Tablespoons olive oil. (optional)
    . Mix flour yeast water and oil( Optional) (not salt) together for a
    minute and leave for 20 minutes for the water to be partially absorbed.
    Add salt and mix for about 30 minutes until the dough comes together
    enough to be worked by hand. Continue kneading until smooth. Place in
    an large oiled bowl and rub olive oil on top, cover and let rise until
    more than doubled. Pour out on to surface and divide into the number of
    loafs you require. Do not punch out the air. Shape into loafs, sprinkle
    tops with flour and leave to rise on a flour/cornmeal dusted surface.
    Heat tile/stones in oven to 500 degrees while bread is rising. Slide
    loafs on to hot stone and spray with cold water, three times, three
    minutes apart. Lower heat to 450° and bake for about 30 minutes. (I can
    do two loafs at a time in the oven on a large stone).

• sooz
    15 years ago

Tonight was "plain ol roast chicken" with stuffing and gravy and sauteed veggies--the stuffing recipe was posted by Sharon (Cb) and I finally made it, and it was wonderful! BTW, Sharon, beautiful photos and I love the osso buco picture--reminds me I'll have to make that sometime soon!

Ann, I can almost smell the bread baking, and the pizza, and taste the mushrooms on that wonderful pizza!

kathleen, what a fun & fab table you set, and I'm drooling over the food!

Dessert was pumpkin pie in a maple syrup puddle, and the pie was topped with maple whipped cream. I only took a picture because I've been practicing, trying to take better food photos!

{{!gwi}}

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Sharon, I wish I could reach through the screen for that almond breaded chicken dinner, it looks so good.

Ann, nice looking bread, reminds me to get busy and make a couple loaves.

Kathleen, what a stunning black/white table. I love it! I always look forward to seeing what your holiday tablescapes are going to be. You have so many different dishes and accessories for each holiday....sounds like I am a little envious, doesn't it? Ahhhh, you bet I am!

Sooz, I always put Vermont maple syrup in my pumpkin pie for the sweetner, it is such a wonderful combination.

Dinner last night were pastry leaves filled with ham/cheese and a big salad.

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

I can just see myself being clumsy and making that pear salad roll for a ways. My feast was pop tarts, tomato soup, a tangelo and an apple. After working all day and a midnight shopping run for cat food it was good enough to get me by. The tangelo was less then delicious... no flavor. One more shift and I'm done working for the week.

: )
    lyra

• patricialynn
    15 years ago

Marigene, do you have a recipe for those leaves. They look beautiful....

thanks, Patti

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Yes, Marigene, the leaves/sandwiches look delicious! And thank you!
    Thank you sooz and trsinc too..
    Sooz, you pie looks good!

Ann your crust certainly does look good. I am not such a great bread baker...

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Wow, Everything looks amazing..but I really want that pie!!!!!!!! LOL
    Kathleen, I love the black and white halloween theme!

Stacy, Will is like the size of most 8th graders! LOL Actually on Kellan's football team he was one of the smallest and these were 6th and 7th graders. There was a 6th grader the size of my 3rd grader and another 6th grader the size of my 16 yr old! LOL Kellan was the 3rd shortest. We had nearly 6' 7th graders too! (for comparison though, my 11 yr old is only 1 1/2" taller than my 8 yr old, but about 30lbs heavier)
    Kids are growing at amazing rates..but there are still some shrimps around too..LOL

Ann thanks for reposting your bread links. I lost my files in the computer crash! Snaggin and saving to my thumb drive and printing out! LOL

We've been eating of course but not alot of worthy pictures or talk abouts. LOL
    Let's see. Lastnight was those grilled giant beef deli dogs from Costco for the guys on homemade grilled rolls.(I reaheated some red beef sauce and slathered a roll with butter.) Friday was homemade pizza night. Thursday was fried keilbasa and cabbage over white rice. I can't recall past that. LOL

Maybe this week I can take pictures. Today will be roast chicken and roasted beets and a spinach salad. Plus mashed potatoes.
    Tomorrow will be a rack of pork chops. Never cooked them this way before but Costco had an amazing price. 2.99lb plus $5 off at the register. So I got this gorgeous rack of 5 or 6 ribs for $7 and change!!! I'll double up on the potatoes today, so I can make a potato casserole tomorrow. Roasted green beans and cauliflower.
    Yes, roasted veggies are the best way to get the boys to eat them.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Thank you Ann! Love the pictorials. They are very helpful. That's a lot of mixing!!! If my cheapy mixer can't handle it I'll just park myself in front of the TV and mix by hand, lol.

Marigene, those leaves are spectacular!

Tonight we're having T bones - Yay! - corn on the cob dipped in chile butter and rolled in parmesan, grilled bread with rosemary garlic butter, and a caesar salad. Can't wait!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Living through you all with the cooking right now. Between our family friends funeral last Sat., the passing of my dog on Wed. and my Uncle's funeral on Friday, not much cooking has been going on.

Tonight we just ate soup and sandwiches which was fine with us. Hopefully, I'll be back in full swing here shortly. I did at least take some boneless pork chops out to defrost - that's getting somewhere:(

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathleen you do have some lovely table accessories. I particularly like your white openwork tablecloth in the first 2 photos.
    Here in the Canaries, the women have traditionally done embroidered handiwork of doilies, tablecloths and table runners. The women of the neighbouring island of La Palma have been especially good at making these artisan pieces which are now very expensive.
    (Link in Spanish but with photos.)

Trsinc...Yes I've been living on the Island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands for the past 25 years after spending some years in the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Ibiza etc) where I originally came as a teacher of classical guitar for a position in a music centre. I loved it so much I stayed on and when a different job brought me to the Canaries each winter I settled here on this beautiful island.

Sooz......I love pumpkin pie....and especially topped with whipped cream! Yours looks wonderful!

Marigene...I would love to have some of your ham & cheese pastry leaves for sitting in front of the TV tomorrow evening.
    Hope you're having a wonderful birthday today!

Terri....if you are still missing some recipes after your crash, let us know. I have cut and pasted so many from here over the past 6 or 7 years.

Dixiedog......I hope your sadness gradually lifts over the next days.

We had a baked teriyaki salmon last week as well, which I forgot to mention. But I found a nice pork loin roast the other day which we had yesterday and probably will have again today. I rubbed it with a combo of garlic,crushed herbs, onion and olive oil and roasted it with some partially steamed potatoes. More of the same veggies as the other day.....steamed carrots, brussels sprouts and peas.

Dessert was a slice each of cheesecake from the bakery yum!

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Ann....I missed out saying how Pepperoni & Mushroom pizza is also my favourite. But I'll be buying mine at the supermarket to have tomorrow in front of the TV. Here it will be very late when the election results start coming in!
    Your bread looks delicious too.

SharonCb

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

I really enjoy looking at all the wonderful pictures ya'll post of your food. I just got a new computer and can't seem to get the camera cable to recognize and upload my pics. I did find out late last night that I can put the memory card in and load pics from that so I'll try to start taking some pics of our food.

Dixiedog, I'm so sorry for all of your losses and hope your grieving lifts up somewhat soon.

I've been working on trying to save money, like many, and bread baking has been one of my focuses. Recently I made my first batch of the Artisan bread in 5 in a day. The loaves came out great. As a matter of fact they looked very much like Ann's loaves above so just insert that pic here. Smiles. Today I'm going to finally make my first loaves from the sourdough starter I've been making. I look forward to seeing how my starter did.

This weekend my wife went to the farm around the corner and got some cauliflower and the first few stalks of brussels sprouts. We blanched them and froze them. The cauliflower was outstanding and the sprouts are sweet already, but are just starting to come in, so many more to go in freezer.

I used my last ham scraps for the last batch of lentils, so we got a nice big ham and cooked that yesterday, along with some parsley potatoes and some of the cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Nice dinner. There are only two of us, so today I'll cut that ham into a bunch of packets for soup flavoring. I might save a bit for some sandwiches. Smiles.

Since I'm making the sourdough today, I think I'll just take out the last half gallon of navy bean soup from the freezer to have with it. Love shopping in the freezer.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Hello Coconut, we're in NJ too. We also got some nice cauliflower and brussels sprouts from a farm stand but Ken would still prefer green beans, ugh, in my opinion.

Last night I tried a recipe for pork chops in apple cider sweet and sour glaze and it was a keeper, I'll post it over on the Recipe Exchange, its a nice and easy seasonal dish (lots of apples up in the Adirondacks where we just came home from).

Ken made a big huge pot of chicken soup yesterday (we keep all the "used" bones in the freezer until it gets so full you can't squeeze anything else in and that's when he knows its time to make soup) and I am just dying to eat some! He still has to defat it and fix it up, not sure exactly what that means, LOL, but its always delicious.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Great looking Pork dinner Sharon. I love roast pork.

Grilled a small Prime Rib for dinner last night. Served with a cauliflower gratin, roasted potatoes and fresh green beans.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

This thread with the mouthwatering photos has jumpstarted my cooking, THANK YOU! As my kids left home, it was difficult to adjust to cooking for just two after feeding 4 hungry teens who gobbled up everything for so long! Esp since we two really need to cut back on our middle aged calories!

I can'tpost pics til I get a new camera, but I made some Cranberry Carrot Muffins for breakfast and I'm baking a red Kuri squash now to try and replicate a salad for lunch that I saw yesterday at Whole Foods in their display case. It was spinach salad with roasted winter squash cubes.

We're having a meatless meal tonight. Have some bread started (I'll give away the other two loaves to neighbors) and will be making a vegetable chowder recipe from my old Moosewood cookbook. Dessert will be a sweetpotato sugar cake recipe (first time to try) from an old Kitchen Garden magazine.

Tomorrow my husband goes in the hospital for hip replacement so it will be hospital food for a few days.... yeech! I'll bring some things from home when I can so that he actually gets some nutrition!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

gb, if that sweetpotato cake is a hit, will you please share it?

Sharon, thanks for the offer, most of the recipes I used alot of I had printed off and are in my most used binder..it's those ones that I was collecting to try..and some that I created and typed onto the computer.

If there is something I can't find I will definately ask!

Dinner was delish.
    Tonight change of plans a bit...instead of the pork chop roast, it'll be spareribs in the oven..

• shellm
    15 years ago

Oh Ann that prime rib dinner is calling my name.I love my meat rare.Perfect picture.

Shelley

• shaun
    15 years ago

My my my. Gbsim said it best.... mouthwatering photos!!

This was desert tonight.

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

Now, those Pecan Pie Muffins sure made my eyes perk up! Yum!!! OH...got a sweet tooth going on, can you tell?

• patricialynn
    15 years ago

Can you post the recipe for those yummy looking pecan pie muffins.

thanks, Patti

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

Here is what my DH made for us for dinner tonight:

Salad, pan fired potatoes, rutabaga, carrots and mini meatloaf with shrimp :)

Delicious...

• shaun
    15 years ago

Patti of course I'll post the recipe! I'll make a new thread so it won't get lost.

Tonight I made pot roast, mashed potatoes and peas. That pot roast was the most delicious one I've ever made. I usually use the crock pot but this time I followed the directions of this forum and used the oven. Here is the result:

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Oooh, Shaun, I'm craving potatoes and gravy now! I wish my hubby could cook. I'm feeling a little puny so we had canned soup and grilled cheese. I sure wish he could have whipped something up for us! Don't know if you're a guy or girl... but Punamytsike's hubby sure did a good job!

• bri29
    15 years ago

As usual, everyone's meals look lovely. Kathleen, your table setting is beautiful! I'm on my own for dinner this evening, so I actually had time to take a picture. Usually the DH is starving, so I don't take the time for pictures. Tonight I had pasta with pesto, broccoli and panko crusted shrimp (I don't know why I'm so addicted to the panko crusted shrimp, I'm hoping the craving passes sometime this year). I needed to use up the rest of the pesto from a pizza I made last weekend, so dinner was an easy decision.

I'm still not disciplined enough to plan dinners out for an entire week, so it's a bit of a rush to get something out of the freezer and get it on the table. The long lead item in this dinner was the pasta, which made for a 20 minute meal. Almost as fast as fast food and a heck of a lot better!
    Bri

• jwm211
    15 years ago

Woodie2 referred to posting on the Recipe Exchange. I'm not familiar with that. Can someone tell me where it is on here? Thank you!

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Link to the Recipe Exchange

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe Exchange

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You'll find the link to the Recipe Exchange as well as our other cooking related links at the top of this page.

Have a look as well at the other links below to the Conversations side where we get together to chat about non cooking related things. There's also the photo Gallery and the Exchange sections which are an integral part of this Cooking Forum.
    Hope you find what you're looking for!

SharonCb

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Sharon you are amazing, must be the name!! LOL

I have been cooking and we have been eating, I have just not been posting much. Most meals have been , same old, same old, not that that's a bad thing but not newsworthy. Last night however I did make a new dish which was a huge hit with Clive and Meredith, they were looking for seconds but sadly there were none.

I used my tried and true Coquille St Jacques recipe but subbed lobster for the scallops and added Gruyere cheese and cream.

Rather than glaze it under the broiler I served it over egg noodles. They scarfed it up!

I didn't have any. After cooking it I just didn't want it, that happens to me a lot....that ever happen to anyone else?

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Bri -- that "fast food" looks AMAZING! I've actually been having a bit of a pesto craving lately, and with those shrimp.... Mmmmmm... Do you have any tricks when you bread with the panko? Do you dip in egg first or something to make it stick?

Emily

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Monday I fixed Pork Chops, Potatoes, Glazed Carrots and fried apples. Last night I made Country Fried Steak w/white gravy, mashed potatoes & green beans.

Tonight was BBQ Shrimp with salad and crusty bread to dip in the sauce.

• bri29
    15 years ago

Emily~
    The panko shrimp are really really easy. Coat the shrimp lightly in flour, next into a mix of an egg and a little water and then into the panko. The most difficult part is avoiding club hand! I usually mix a little garlic powder, paprika and pepper in the panko. Then they go on a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with a tiny little bit of olive oil (or spray with a nonstick spray). Then depending on the size of the shrimp, bake at 425 for 7-10 minutes. Just don't let them get overcooked. :) Enjoy!

Bri

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Shaun, Your muffins and your pot roast look delicious. I
    could dive right into the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Bri,your pasta dish looks sooo good.

Dixie, I would be happy with just that crusty bread to dip into the sauce.

Last night was wings with parmesan crusted Sweet potatoes. I used the lighter skinned, pale fleshed sweet potatoes. I like these because they are not as sweet as the orange ones.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Ann, those potatoes look delicious!
    Bri, the baked shrimp look so good too!
    Chase, lobster, yum! Lucky, you!
    Sharon and Marigene, so nice and helpful!
    Nothing new here, same old...

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Hey folks --

Made a new recipe last night that was a huge winner -- it is an indian kidney bean recipe -- kind of like an indian kidney bean chili. SO GOOD! The only changes I made to the recipe is that the recipe called for 4 cups of water but I thought that would be way too soupy, so I used 2 cups... Also used a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes rather than fresh... And cooked it a little longer so the flavors melded. Served with brown rice it was great, and so good for lunch today!

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Rajma -- Indian spiced kidney bean stew

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

This thread is just full of good food. I'm sure I just gained 5 lbs while reading it. I've been pretty busy with working.....that's the only excuse I can think of, for not contributing more regularly.

We took a micro mini vacation last weekend. Stopped at a nice farm market where I bought a giganic head of cabbage. I made cabbage rolls with it. I had to triple the meat mixture (Diane's recipe) and still ran out of filling before I used up all the cabbage leaves. They were very good and I froze some for the future.....

I also picked up some of my favorite apples for a pie...

Nancy

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Ohhh... Everyone's food looks so delicous! I'm living vicariously through all of you! My husband gets out of the hospital tomorrow and if I posted pictures of some of the hospital food that we've been eating, it might break some of your computer screens!!!
    Gloppy gravy, white rolls that come individually wrapped, pressed mystery meats, iced tea in a can with HF corn syrup.... The stuff they consider a "meal" is really sad.

Grace

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Nancy I made a big batch of Diane's cabbage rolls too, I just love them. All this shrimp talk has me Jonesing for a shrimp dish. Either Gina's Lemon Shrimp Scampi or Joe's Tempura fried shrimp is calling me!

Everyones food looks and sounds so much more interesting than I seem to be making lately! Oh but I did try Janet's Spinach Salad with Dijon Maple Vinaigrette, Meredith and I both loved it.

Off to the cottage a little later this AM....I'm think stuffed ribs may be in order this weekend. Linda got me thinking of them with her stuffed pork chop recipe. That stuffing would be fabulous in ribs.

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing the panko shrimp recipe Bri - easier than I thought it would be since it doesn't involve frying. C and P into my file.

Thanks to you also Em, the Rajma sounds perfect for Saturday lunch here.

Sharon, I just found the Spinach Salad recipe from Janet and saved that too.

Grace, LOL, hospital food is universal isn't it. I know you'll both be happy to be home from the hospital. Best Wishes for a quick recovery for your DH.

Nancy, please pass me your entire dinner. It's perfect fall comfort food.

Costco had some lovely Wild Alaska Coho Salmon lox which we had last night with cream cheese on seeded bagels from Einsteins - not like Chicago or Montreal bagels, but still good with lettuce, tomato and capers.

Tonight I'm solo and will have leftovers of the favorites from my election night/birthday dinner - barbecued shrimp, roasted eggplant spread, a little cheese and some veggie sticks. And a little splash of the leftover and vacuum sealed sparkling Chardonay.

Lee

• jwm211
    15 years ago

ann t, How did you make your parmesan crusted sweet potatoes? Do you have a recipe? I've tried these before and had trouble getting the parmesan to stick.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Jwm211, here is the recipe. I use fresh grated Reggiano Parmesan and haven't had a problem with it sticking.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Parmesan-Coated Sweet Potato Fries
    ==================================

http://www.wholeliving.com

Serves 4; Prep time: 15 minutes; Total time 40 minutes
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
    2 large egg whites
    1 1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
    4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed and quartered lengthwise (I peel the potatoes)

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and then set aside.
    2. In a shallow bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and pepper. In a separate shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of water until combined. Place the Parmesan on a sheet of waxed paper or put it in another shallow bowl.
    3. Dip the sweet potato first in the flour mixture, shaking off excess. Then dip each wedge into the egg white mixture until coated. Finally, dip the sweet potato in the Parmesan, pressing the exposed surface of the potato into the cheese. (Don't worry if some gets on the skin.) Transfer potato wedges onto the prepared baking sheet as you go.
    4. Bake potatoes until tender and crisp, about 25 minutes. Serve sprinkled with more salt if desired.
  • bri29
    15 years ago

Oh Ann, those sweet potato fries look fabulous. If I make them for my husband he'll never want anything else! He LOVES sweet potato fries. :) Maybe I'll give in and make them for him, they do look tasty. Thank you!!!
    Bri

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I agree, those fries look delicious, I've been meaning to try them for some time and this just reminded me.

I've been catching meals as I can, but Elery and I had some flounder stuffed with crab meat and a side dish of quinoa salad, it was pretty good.

{{!gwi}}

Another day we had salmon patties with spinach and feta cheese, with sauteed cabbage, roasted cauliflower and some mashed rutabaga:

I just put 292 pounds of beef in the freezer, so Ashley needed to have Porterhouse one night. She eats it like I do, rare, but warm in the middle. This one weighed a bit over a pound.

{{!gwi}}

Last Sunday was Amanda's birthday so Elery and I cooked dinner for her. We cooked at home and took it to her, so I did a turkey stuffed with onion/celery/sage stuffing in the electric roaster and transported it that way:

For dessert we had pumpkin roll:

Elery and I went out to supper one night, we went to Red Lobster and had coconut shrimp and it was the same as it always is. I really like that sauce they give me to dip stuff in the best!

Right now I'd like some of SharonCB's gazpacho, some of Marigene's leaf shaped sandwiches, Kathleen's dishes (LOL), Shaun's pot roast with Nancy's apple pie.
    Ah well, I guess I'll be content with my cup of tea and see what tomorrow may bring me for supper.

Annie

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

No photo since I'm still without a camera, but we had a great first meal home from the hospital tonight.
    Roast chicken with lemon and rosemary, sweet and sour cabbage, and green beans cooked with a little orange juice and zest and topped with roasted pecans. It was wonderful to eat at home!
    After dinner tonight, my husband read the info about the post surgery medication that he's on for the next couple of weeks..... no cabbage! Also no spinach, lettuce, brocolli, brussel sprouts and a lot of other things that I had planned for the week's menus. Back to the drawing board! I can't believe nobody told me about this before now! Maybe most people don't eat a lot of greens etc, but I definitely would have been giving him too much vitamin K which is a no no.

• jwm211
    15 years ago

ann t, Thank you for the sweet potato fries recipe. I can't wait to try them!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Trade you dishes for the pumpkin roll, Annie! I am craving that lately!
    Thank you Ann. I never dipped them in egg white before, I will try that!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Kathleen, you just send me the dishes, I'll send the pumpkin roll, LOL. I think the dishes might travel better than the cake would though!

I haven't had supper tonight because I took stepmom to the bank this morning to get everything straightened around on the mortgage to the farm. Afterward we went out to eat at a new restaurant in Big Rapids, she had crab benedict and I had smoked salmon benedict, we each had a caramel mocha coffee. It was pretty good and stepmom was happy.

Annie

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Ann, your parm crusted sweet potatoes look great.

And Annie, you never cease to amaze me with all you cook and do. And you still are smiling at the end. Putting all that beef in freezer should have taken care of weight training for a week.

Grace, your first dinner at home after your DH left the hospital sounds delicious. I'm sure he enjoyed it and I hope there were no ill effects from eating forbidden food.

La at night we had the best post roast ever! If you want to know more, click the link. Sides were simple baked sweet potatoes and steamed green beans. DMIL came to have dinner with us. We enjoyed a tapioca pudding that DMIL brought over with some spiced tea while we watched Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters.

Tonight we had chicken fajitas, with a fresh salsa and sliced avocado. I marinated chicken tenders for a few hours in the afternoon and then dinner went together very quickly.

Tomorrow, it will be leftover pot roast at our house.

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Prime pot roast