Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Potato Dish request

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 9:36

I seem to remember having a sweet potato dish that had pineapple and possibly other vegetables (or not). Does anyone have a T&T recipe for a SP dish that is not the typical marshmallow casserole, not mashed, not overcooked and not ghastly sweet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Potato Dish request

I just posted this recipe on another thread, but here it is again. It's Fiery Sweet Potatoes, printed in the New York Times in 2009. The potatoes are mashed, but I like them chunky so I don't beat them to a pulp. You could probably leave them mostly whole. In the NYTimes article, this was the hit among the various Thanksgiving recipes they tested.

Fiery Sweet Potatoes
Time: About 2 hours

5 pounds sweet potatoes

1 cup coconut milk

1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 teaspoon salt.

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes on a baking sheet until very soft, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash.

2. In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk with curry paste over low heat. Mix coconut milk mixture, half the sugar, half the butter, and salt into potatoes. Keep warm until ready to serve, or cover and refrigerate up to two days.

3. At least 30 minutes before serving, heat oven to 425 degrees. Put potatoes in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover potatoes, dot with remaining butter and sugar and broil until brown and crusty on top, checking often to prevent scorching.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

Notes: I've made this, the full 5lbs, following the recipe up through step 2. I've frozen it in portions at this stage. If I'm serving it to guests, I'll finish it with the butter and brown sugar because it makes a prettier presentation. If it's just for DH and me, I skip this. It's good enough as is.

Cheryl

o

Here is my favorite, I make it every year for T-Day. You can adjust the sugar to taste.

Praline Apples and Sweet Potatoes

Great dish to slide into the oven just as the turkey comes out.

4 large sweet potatoes, cooked and peeled.
4 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut in 1/4" slices
1 stick butter
1C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp salt
1 C pecans, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350�.
Spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray
Cut the sweet potatoes in 1" cubes and put into baking pan

Melt butter in a large skillet, over med. high heat. Add apple slices to the melted butter, saute about 5 min., just until the apples begin to soften. Sprinkle with sugars, spices and salt, continue cooking until sugars are melted and apples are cooked but still firm enough to hold their shape. Remove from heat and distribute evenly over the sweet potatoes.

Bake approx. 30 mins, or until heated through and bubbly around the edges.

Nancy

o

This is the recipe I use. I don't peel the apples and I sometimes use a bit of brown sugar instead of maple syrup if I don't have it on hand.

Baked Apple Sweet Potato Casserole

8 lg. sweet potatoes (4 lbs. boiled and drained), peeled and cut in 1/4 inch thick rounds (I steam mine)
4 lg. tart apples (2 lbs. peeled, quartered, cored and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
1 tbsp. fresh grated or peeled orange rind
1/2 c. unsalted butter
3/4 c. orange juice
1 TBL flour
1/3 c. maple syrup or pancake syrup
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Lightly grease 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Alternate sweet potato and apple slices. Arrange slices slightly overlapping in prepared dish. Mix melted butter and flour in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add other ingredients and bring to boil, stir until smooth. Pour evenly over sweet potatoes and apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until potatoes and apples are lightly glazed.

12 servings. TIP: Make ahead - bake 20 minutes, cover and refrigerate. Before serving, uncover and bake 20-25 minutes until potatoes and apples are tender.

o

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. I thought everyone might be too busy cooking.

They all sound really good and love that each allows for doing some ahead or going into oven as turkey exits. I'm not sure which I will make for tomorrow, but definitely will try all soon. I love sweet potatoes! Thanks again!

o

A recipe was posted here by jojoco (in "Opinions needed on a sweet potato recipe please") on Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 19:20, and jessyf added a suggestion. We combined them and have been making this recipe ever since:

Delicious Sweet Potatoes
6-7 sweet potatoes
one half stick butter = 4 Tbsp
one-third to one-half cup maple syrup
one half cup brown sugar
Dash of cardamom
one-quarter cup bourbon (We use Maker's Mark)

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes in round pieces about three-quarters of an inch thick. Place in a bowl, cover lightly and microwave 5-10 minutes. Potatoes should be slightly soft but not mushy.

Melt the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a skillet. Add potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes are soft (approx. 30-40 minutes). Add bourbon and cook 5 more minutes.

o

Here are two that I have used:

Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes (From Garden Web Forum)
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces
3 Tbsp EVOO
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp fresh grated lime zest (I added more)
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (I added more)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I used a bit less)

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 425
Toss sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp of oil and 1/4 tsp of salt in a shallow baking dish. Arrange potatoes in 1 layer and roast, stirring halfway though roasting, until tender - about 25 minutes. Stirr together cayenne, zest and remaining salt in small bowl. Whisk together lime juice and remaining Tbsp of oil then add to potatoes. Sprinkle potatoes with cayenne mixture and cilantro and gently stir to combine

Smoked Chile Scalloped Sweet Potatoes by Bobby Flay

(Note white sweet potatoes work best)
2 cups heavy cream (I used 1/4 cup less)
1 heaping Tbsp chipolte pepper puree (buy a can of Chipolte in adobo sauce and puree)
3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and thinly sliced to 1/8 inch thick
Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375

Whisk cream and chipolte puree together until smooth

In a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish, arrange the potatoes in even layers. Drizzle with 3 Tbsp of the cream mixture and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cream, salt and pepper to form 10 layers

Cover and bake for 30 minutes, remove cover and continue baking for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until cream is absorbed, potatoes are cooked through and top is browned.

o

Cheryl,

I went looking for the other post where I asked for the Fiery Sweet Potato recipe and found this post first. Thanks so much for the recipe, it was a big hit. I changed the recipe somewhat based on your note because it sounded like it'd be better slightly chunky rather than mashed. I also added some caramelized carrots, since in addition to the sweet potatoes from the garden I had a large number of assorted colors of carrots from the garden.

The coconut milk and the curry paste really add make the dish great.

Thanks.

-Bob

o

Bob,

You're welcome! We just finished up our T'giving dinner where 6 of us wiped out half of the whole recipe, even with a table crowded with food, so I'd say it's a winner. A friend made it and she likes it mashed, which is fine. Good idea to add the carrots, I'll try that in future.

Cheryl

o

We took a bike ride around the neighborhood in the early afternoon, and got back much later than we intended. Only about 30 minutes before the turkey was supposed to come out of the oven. So I had to discard the bake-for-an-hour step, and cut the potatoes into chunks and boil them. Meanwhile I browned the carrot slices in olive oil, and then added the coconut milk, curry paste, salt and brown sugar to the carrot pan. Then when then sweet potatoes were cooked, put them in a baking pan, pour on the carrot-coconut-curry sauce, and mix the sauce in and lightly mash the potatoes. Then top with butter and brown sugar as your recipe states and bake for about twenty minutes. So it wasn't quite following the recipe, but the flavor was probably pretty similar and was great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here