SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Do you have a best peacn pie recipe?

remodelfla
15 years ago

I'm a good baker... getting better. I have much more expertise with cooking. My DS has requested a pecan pie this Thanksgiving. I've never made one. Could you please share your best tried and true recipe? I figured I'd go right to best sources around!

Thanks,

Elyse

Comments (37)

• ann_t
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everyone that has made David's Pecan Pie has raved about it.

Heart Of Dixie Pecan Pie

Source: Lakeguy35 (David)

1 Cup dark corn syrup
    3/4 Cup sugar
    6 Tbl butter
    3 large eggs
    Pinch salt
    2 Tbl Bourbon (you could omit, I use it))
    2 Cups pecan halves or pieces
    or a combination

Prepare and chill the dough.

For the filling, combine corn syrup and sugar in saucepan and stir to mix. Place over low heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. Remove from heat, add butter and allow butter to melt. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs to break up and whisk in salt and Bourbon. Whisk in syrup and butter mixture, being careful not to over mix. Allow to cool while preparing bottom crust.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the lowest level. For the bottom crust, lightly flour the work surface and the dough and roll it to a 12-inch disk. Fold the dough in half and place it in the pan; unfold the dough and press it firmly into the pan. Trim away all but 1/2 inch excess dough at edge of pan. Fold dough under and flute edge.

Arrange pecans in crust. Skim foam from top of filling (or the top will have an unattractively mottled surface) and pour over pecans. With the back of a fork, press the pecans down into the filling so that they are immersed. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until the crust is baked through and the filling is set and well puffed in the center.

Cool the pie on a rack and serve warm or at room temperature.

David's notes: I add another 1/2 cup of pecans to this recipe, all the recipes I've tried call for 1 1/2 to 2 cups of pecans, I like a little more than that in mine. This guy is a great baker, I love his recipes.
    David~

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

Here's a couple we like. Enjoy :-)

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Maple Pecan Pie

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Pies Tested and Approved

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups pecan halves
    1 cup real maple syrup
    1/4 cup butter
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    Spread the nuts evenly over pie shell.
    Mix together butter or margarine, vanilla, and flour. Beat the eggs well, and blend into the flour mixture. Add salt, maple syrup, and cream. Pour filling over the nuts in the pie shell. Make sure the nuts are covered, so they will not burn.
    Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center come out clean. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kentucky Chocolate - Pecan Pie

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 9 inch pie shell -- unbaked
    1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
    1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup butter -- melted (1 stick/4
    ounces)
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 pinch salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Spread chopped nuts over the bottom of the prepared (unbaked) pie shell; sprinkle with chocolate morsels. In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in sugars, flour, salt, vanilla, and butter. Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips. Bake in a 325 oven for 35 to 40 minutes.

Bourbon Whipped Cream

1 cup chilled whipping cream
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon good bourbon (or 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring)

For best results, chill bowl and beaters. Beat cream until thickened; add sugar and flavoring, then beat until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Source:
    "http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa042002a.htm";
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : Add a tablespoon of bourbon or a teaspoon of rum flavoring to this pie for a more "spirited" flavor.

Made 12-31-07 Very good, very rich. Didn't bother with the flavored whipped cream.

• Related Discussions

Home canned pie fill..........do you have a wonderful recipe?

Q

Comments (1)
    You can process the plain fruit in a sugar syrup and thicken as you wish when making the pie or you can process pie filling, but the only approved thickener is ClearJel. I've linked to the NCHFP page for pie fillings. The one thing I would say is these pie fillings are way too thick, downright viscous. You can easily reduce the amount of ClearJel. It doesn't affect food safety and it's cheaper. It's probably worth it to do a single quart as a test just to see how you like the consistency and then do multiples. Carol Here is a link that might be useful: Canned Pie Fillings
    ...See More

Do you have a never-fail recipe you use for cherry pie?

Q

Comments (8)
    Growing up in my small hometown in Indiana, pie baking was an art and if you made a good pie, you could probably have a statue of yourself on the courthouse lawn! LOL! This recipe came from one of the many bake-offs the Home Extension office put on during the year. It is the recipe from a lady who was famous for her pies. She made them for the best restaurant in town and was the go-to person if you wanted pie for a special occasion. Her crust was made of lard and just about melted in your mouth. Anyway, here is her cherry pie recipe. It's the only one I use. I haven't made one in years (but now I'm craving) and the recipe doesn't give the oven temp and I don't remember??? CHERRY PIE 2 c. canned tart cherries, drained (save juice) 1 c. cherry juice 1 c. sugar 1/4 tsp. salt 3 Tbsp, flour 1/3 tsp. red food coloring (optional) 1/8 tsp. almond extract 1 Tbsp. butter Mix sugar, salt and flour together. Add cherry juice, food coloring and extract. Stir well. Carefully add cherries.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Best of Best Pumpkin Pie

Q

Comments (4)
    If you don't care for traditional Libby's pumpkin pie, here's the absolute best alternative, as long as you're willing to add some bourbon. PUMPKIN GELATIN PIE 1 envelope unflavored gelatin 3/4 cup sugar 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (use fresh grated) 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup milk 3 slightly beaten egg yolks 1 -16 oz can pumpkin 1/4 cup bourbon 3 egg whites 2 Tbsp sugar 1 baked 9" pie shell Whipped cream for serving In saucepan combine gelatin and 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in milk, egg yolks and pumpkin. Cook and stir over medium heat til mixture thickens and just begins toboil. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon. Chill mixture until partially set. In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl over). Gradually add 2 Tbsp sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Pile pumpkin mixture into baked pie shell. Refrigerate several hours until mixture is set. Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with fresh grated nutmeg, if desired. Enjoy!
    ...See More

best lemon meringue pie recipe

Q

Comments (7)
    Still no replies? I did a lot of research on "best" lemon pies, and also on meringues, a couple of years ago but can't find my final recipe or any of the results! A number of years ago, I encountered a woman in a grocery store where we were chatting while waiting to be served. She mentioned that she couldn't find the old Joy of Cooking recipe her mom used in the 1960's. I mailed her the three recipes that were in my mom's copy from that era. Joy of Baking blog has a recipe that looks good, with a lot of method details: http://www.joyofbaking.com/PiesAndTarts/LemonMeringuePieRecipe.html
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting David's recip[e Ann. I'm, here at the cottage without access to all my recipes but his Pecan Pie is absolutely to die for! My kids fight...I mean fight over the size of the slice and who gets the last piece...Chris almost always wins! LOL

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Then I'll have to try David's recipe first! Thanks so much for posting all!

• ltcollins1949
    15 years ago

BERNICES PECAN PIE

--Take 2 eggs and beat well with fork;
    --add 1-cup white sugar;
    --½ cup white Karo syrup;
    --1 stick of melted butter; mix well and
    --add 1-½ cups chopped pecans.
    Pour into unbaked piecrust. Bake for 1 hour in 275-degree oven until brown. Serve when cool.

LINDAS PECAN PIE

5 eggs
    2/3 cup white sugar
    1 1/3 cup white syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/3 cup melted butter
    Pecans, about 2 cups

Mix all ingredients well and put into a large unbaked pie shell. Cook at 400° for 10 minutes and then lower the over to 325° and cook for another 30 minutes or until it puffs.

P.S. I am not sure, but I believe that this recipe is the one that the Morrisons Cafeterias used to use.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW... they all sound wonderful. I'm going to bake this on Wednesday. It seems like one of those pies that's even better the next day. I'm baking the things I can freeze right now. I'm working with only one oven so I need to carefully plan when I can make what. I like to make my apple pie that day I'm serving it so that will have to wait till Thursday. I love all this help... THANK YOU!

• kayskats
    15 years ago

I haven't yet madethis recipe from Thursdays Wash Post but I will soon because I've always thought most Pecan Pies were tooooo sweet

Mama's Pecan Pie
    The Washington Post, November 19, 2008
    Cuisine: Southern/Soul Food
    Course: Dessert
    Features: Holiday (Thanksgiving), Make-Ahead Recipes
    Summary:

Chef Virginia Willis says too many pecan pies are mostly goo without enough pecans, making them far too sweet. The secret to the success of this pie is that its pecan-to-goo ratio is just right.

As a child, Willis helped her mother make the pie by running the nuts through a hand-held grinder, which her mother still uses. It has a crank that forces the nuts through two opposing forklike blades and a glass jar to catch the nut pieces. The metal top that screws into the glass jar is bent and dinged, but the tool still cuts the nuts just right.

MAKE AHEAD: The pie crust dough can be assembled and refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. The pie can be baked up to 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Makes two 9-inch pies (16 servings)

Ingredients:
    For the crusts
    2 1/2 cups flour, plus more for the work surface
    1 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, such as Crisco brand, cut into small pieces
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    6 tablespoons ice water, plus more as needed

For the filling
    3 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
    3 cups (two 6-ounce packages) pecan halves, coarsely chopped (see headnote)
    Directions:

For the crusts: Combine the flour, salt, shortening and butter in the bowl of a food processor; pulse for up to 10 seconds, until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Add the ice water one tablespoon at a time, pulsing to combine just until the dough comes together without being sticky or crumbly. Shape the dough into 2 flat disks and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.

Have ready two 9-inch pie plates. Lightly flour a work surface.

Working with one disk of dough at a time (keeping the remaining disk chilled), place the dough in the center of the floured surface and roll close to, but not over, the edge of the dough farthest from you. Lift the dough and give it a quarter-turn; repeat the rolling and turning until the dough is 1/8-inch thick and about 2 inches wider than the diameter of the 9-inch pie plates.

Ease the pie dough into the pie plate; trim to a 1-inch overhang, then fold the overhang under itself along the rim of the plate. Use a fork or your fingers to crimp the edge as desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes; repeat the process with the remaining disk of dough.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

For the filling: Combine the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl, stirring until mixed well. Add the pecans, stirring to incorporate. Divide the filling evenly between the 2 chilled pie shells.
    Place the pies on a large baking sheet and bake, rotating once, for about 55 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pies to a wire rack to cool before serving or storing.

Recipe Source:
    Adapted from Willis's "Bon Appetit, Y'all" (Ten Speed Press, 2008).

Tested by Bonnie S. Benwick for The Washington Post.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I hate to brag, but I've got absolutely THE best pecan pie recipe! :) I've been making it for 20 years now and it is delicious. Not goopy or too sweet.... well okay so all pecan pies are sweet, but this one has some depth of flavor. The key ingredient is the browned butter.

Don't remember where the original came from but the title is fittingly
    "Best Pecan Pie"

1 unbaked pie shell
    1 stick butter (I use salted)
    3/4 cup white Karo syrup
    1 cup granulated white sugar
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1/2 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp vanilla
    dash salt
    1 cup chopped pecans

In a saucepan, brown the butter until a dark golden brown. Do this over medium to medium high heat. The butter will melt and then foam up as though it has soap in it! Then it will subside and will begin rather quickly to brown. Stir constantly. Remove from the heat when the butter is a dark golden brown, and be very careful that it doesn't burn. It can go from brown to black in seconds if you aren't watching and stirring!

Set aside to cool a little. It doesn't have to be cold or room temp, but do not use it right away or you may wind up with scrambled eggs.

Preheat oven to 425 and get pie crust ready.

In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients one at a time in the order listed. Stir well after each addition.

Blend in the browned butter and pour into the pie crust.

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes and then REDUCE heat to 325 for 40-45 minutes. Piec should be firm in the center and evenly browned across the top.

Cool on a rack.

Enjoy!! Grace

• granjan
    15 years ago

My pecan pie recipe is almost like David/Ann T's except a little less work.

Melt the butter and let cook slightly. Whisk the eggs and sugar and add the dark corn syrup. Add salt, Bourbon, rum or vanilla and cooled butter. Toss in the pecans and coat well. Pour into the pan and bake. The Pecan do float to the top but look pretty I think. (I prefer only 3/4 cup sugar rather than 1 cup.)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Like everyone else I think my pecan pie is mjust the best....b ut I am not at home with the recipe....so will have to post it tomorrow...
    Mine has butter, white kayro, white sugar, eggs, vanilla and pecans....mix all up and put in pie shell and bake.
    details later!
    Linda

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

For something truly different and VERY special:

CAJUN FIG AND PECAN PIE
    Serves 8

Ingredients

1 9-inch uncooked pie shell
    1 Tbs corn starch
    1/2 cup chopped fig preserves
    1 Tbs vanilla
    1 cup chopped pecans
    3 whole eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup white Karo syrup

Directions

In a mixing bowl, mix corn starch and sugar.

Add syrup, vanilla and eggs and blend well.

Add pecans and figs.

Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake at 300 degrees approximately 45 minutes.

Joe

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Linda, found your recipe.

* Posted by lindac (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 22:51

A pecan pie from another Linda....This one originated in Silver Springs Florida....
    The recipe is;
    1 cup of white sugar
    1 cup white Karo
    1 cup chopped pecans ( save 8 or 10 for decorating the top of the pie)
    2 eggs and 1/2 a stick of butter ( not margarine!)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp pure vanilla
    Cream butter and sugar and Karo, add eggs and beat...add nuts and flavorings. mix well and pour into unbaked 8 inch pie shell. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 1 hour to 1 and 1/4 hours, until firm.
    Linda C

• casi
    15 years ago

No, MY PECAN PIE IS BETTER! lol This one is a little trouble but it is truly the best! It is from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook.

Wonderful Walnut of Pecan Pie

Prepare an unbaked 9" Pie Shell. Preheat oven to 350.

In double-boiler top, with elecric mixer at medium speed, or with spoon, mix 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter until well blended.

Add 3/4 cup granulated sugar; mix well. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, to blend. Add 1/4 t. salt, 1/4c. corn syrup, 1/2 cup light cream or milk; mix well.

Cook over boiling water, stirring, 5 min. Remove from water; stir in 1 cup pecan halves or walnut pieces and 1/2 t. vanilla. Pour into lined pie plate.

Bake 1 hr.

The filling is very light and not real sweet and syrupy. It puffs up when baking and shrinks just slightly during cooling.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Can you stand one more? Craig Claiborne gave this as his mother's recipe for Pecan Pie. It is my favorite! and considering I'm a Pecan Pie Addict it's saying a lot. For some reason It's not as horribly sweet as some.

Kathleen Claibornes Pecan Pie
    8 to 10 servings

1 10" baked Pie shell
    1 egg white
    ------------------------------------------
    1-1/4 cups dark corn syrup
    1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 cup whole pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350º F. Brush pre-baked pie shell lightly with egg white; set aside.

Combine corn syrup and sugar in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Beat eggs in mixing bowl. Blend in syrup, melted butter, chopped pecans and vanilla. Pour into pie shell. Arrange pecan halves around top. Bake until center is set, 40 to 50 minutes, covering crust with foil if it begins to over brown.

Basic Pastry (Croustade)
    makes one 10" pie shell

3/4 cup (1-1/2 stick) unsalted butter, well chilled and cut into small pieces
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    2 - 3 Tablespoons ice water.

Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400º F. Add butter to work bowl of processor. Measure in flour and sugar. With machine running, gradually pour in water, adding only enough so dough holds together and can be shapped into a ball.

Roll dough out on lilghtly floured surface to thicknesss of 1/8th inch. Fit into 10" metal pie pan; trim and flute edges. Line pastry with waxed paper and fill with rice or dried beans. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to
    375º F and bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove waxed paper with rice or beans; set aside for pie filling.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Wouldn't it be fun to have a pecan pie tasting where we could sample a bite of everyone's recipes?

I think it is impossible to have something that is basically sugar, butter and eggs taste bad, so I know they're all good!!!

I've got about 40 lbs of pecans to crack this weekend. The cracking is the easy part, but the picking out is sloooow. I've got my fathers old cracker that bolts onto a bench..... brings back memories.

Grace

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Here's another to add to the mix!

I was not a fan of pecan pies because of the filling. I just can't stand the texture and I won't say what I thought of everytime I ate a pecan pie.

A long time ago I came across this pecan pie recipe and we love it. I wouldn't think of making any other pecan pie for my crew.

Buttermilk Pecan Pie *****
    ===========================
    1/2 c. butter
    2 c. sugar
    2 t. vanilla
    3 eggs
    3 T. flour
    1/4 t. salt
    1 c. buttermilk
    1/2 c. pecans
    . Preheat oven to 300. Cream butter and sugar, adding sugar 1/2 c. at a
    time. Blend in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. Combine flour and
    salt, add small amount at a time. Add buttermilk. Sprinkle pecans on
    bottom of crust. Pour custard mix over pecans. Bake 1 1/2 hours.

Best served at room temp.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting Ann! I thinkis the bourbon does the trick. : ) Lots of recipes to check out and compare here. Trixie, I've been wanting to try that buttermilk one for some time. I think I saw someone make on FN some time back.

David

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Whatever recipe you choose, I do find that whole pecans concentrically placed on top make a lovely pie but are very hard to cut into pieces. So, I only use chopped pecans. I like 2 cups to a deep dish pie.
    I use a recipe similar to David/lakeguy only I use dark brown sugar instead of white sugar. And, yes, dark brown corn syrup too. It's a magnificent pie. One Thanksgiving, I didn't cook it long enough and it was syrup - head hangs in shame - but every last drop was eaten and I had people tell me how delicious it was!

• lindac
    15 years ago

Thanks Ann...I'm home now....and yearning for pecan pie...
    Linda C

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have been making pecan pie from the recipe on the back of the Karo bottle. It is pretty authentic according to my southern friends! light or dark it makes no difference. Once in awhile I add about 1 T or 2 of bourbon.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I think I may try the Maple one....Gosh there are a lot..I too usually use the Karo bottle recipe.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My gosh.... there are so many wonderful recipes posted here! OK... I"m going to print this all out... study the similarites/differences in the pies... and go from there! I know my family would prefer one that wasn't overly too sweet.

• Rusty
    15 years ago

ann_t.. . . .Is this an 8 or 9 inch pie recipe, or does it matter? Sounds so good, I want to try it!

• Rusty
    15 years ago

lakeguy35 or ann_t: In the post above, I am asking about the size pie the recipe for 'Heart of Dixie' pecan pie makes. Sorry I wasn't clear on that last night, yesterday was a very long day. Would like to try it sometime today. . .
    Thanks!
    Rusty

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

This isn't a recipe per se but rather tips to modify a pecan pie. I like my pecan pies to be relatively dark and complex instead of simple and sugary. I tend to follow the Karo bottle recipe except:
    1. Toast the pecans first to bring out their flavor.
    2. Use dark corn syrup, not light.
    3. Use 2 Tbsp Frangelico instead of bourbon.
    Also IIRC, the Karo recipe makes too much, so I cut it down by 1/3.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Rusty I have made the recipe many times, always used a 9" pie plate

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Nine inch here too.

David

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Where is Jessy?

• Rusty
    15 years ago

Thank you, Chase and Lakeguy35.
    Rusty

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

I've been avoiding this thread because I love pecan pie and we usually wait til Christmas to make it. I make them to give to the other executives at Christys work and to mail to the family in New Orleans, so I just make an extra for us. They travel really well, btw. Now I am really craving pecan pie. Rats..

Like most of the recipes above I too use the basic Karo recipe. I like the dark syrup best, but if I have light that needs to be used up, I'll mix it in too. I like to use pecan halves and just cut the pie with a serrated knife if it's hard to cut. The only other thing I do is I like lots of nuts so I fill the piecrust up with nuts then pour on as much filling as needed. I guess I get about 3 pies for the normal 2 pie recipe. My wife doesn't always like nuts so sometimes I will even use the extra filling to make her a pie with no nuts. Almost a shoo fly pie.

• Rusty
    15 years ago

Lakeguy35's "Heart of Dixie" pecan pie, posted by ann_t at the beginning of this thread is, without a doubt, the BEST pecan pie ever ! ! ! It is the first pecan pie I have ever liked. Not cloyingly sweet like usual, a wonderful texture, & the bourbon gives it just the right punch. This will definitely be a 'must have' in our family for holidays, from now on!
    If you haven't tried it yet, you are missing out on a real treat.
    Thank you, ann_t, for posting it! ! !

• Rusty
    15 years ago

coconut-nj, how do you mail a pecan pie? I would love to send a couple of these to family & friends, but I can't figure out how to pack them. I would think they would be nothing but a shambles on arrival, with the treatment the USPS gives packages. Thanks in advance,
    Rusty

• sharon_s
    15 years ago

Here's my recipe. Most pecan pie recipes are too sweet and goopy for me, but I love this one. It always gets rave reviews and I crack up every time I make it, thinking about how I got the recipe.

I was standing in front of the pecans at Costco a number of years ago when a woman appeared next to me and said that she had the BEST pecan pie recipe and would be happy to share. She was so excited about it that I figured, why not, and she reached into her purse and pulled out an index card. She traveled with extra copies of it in her purse!! Cracks me up to this day. Anyway, here it is. It's very, very simple.

1/4 cup sugar
    1 cup corn syrup
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 Tbs flour
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 Tbs butter, melted
    1 1/4 cups pecans (I use way more)

9" pie shell (I like to use a deep dish), 350 deg, 1 hr.

That's it.

And, if anyone out there recognizes themselves as the mystery pecan pie lady, thanks for the recipe!

Sharon S.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Hi rusty. I do use more pecans than most people, so I don't know if that makes any difference. I don't think it would though. Naturally I use a foil pan, then I just put the pan in a gallon ziplock bag, wrap it with gift wrap paper and then wrap some bubble wrap around it if I have some. Stick it in a box with newspaper around it and that's all. I've never had anyone have a problem with it falling apart. I usually send them with other presents in a box and just put the pie in the middle of box or on top with plenty of newpaper on top of it. Seems to work fine. Smiles. Good luck. Then again, who knows, maybe they all end up as goopy crumbs but the crumbs and goop are so good they don't say anything for fear I won't send more. LOL.. Just kidding. Even my picky brother is surprised how well they travel.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Glad to hear you liked it Rusty! : )

David

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I made the Kentucy Chocolate Pecan pie...OMGoodness..that is a delish pie..Hubby even liked it..and he loves pecan but not usually my addiction to semi sweet chocolate..LOL So I thought I'd have to suffer through and eat it all by myself...LOL

I'm so glad he'll help me! It tastes like a big ol chocolate chip cookie..we ate it when it was just a touch still warm..

• Rusty
    15 years ago

Thank you, coconut-nj, for answering. I'm definitely going to try it for Christmas: the Heart of Dixie pecan pie, with extra lots of pecans, and packed according to your instructions. I think I had visions of the P. O. turning the box upside down, and all the filling from the pie being everywhere except in the pie pan. But I guess if it is wrapped snug enough, it would survive. Maybe I WON'T ask them to let me know how it arrives ;>)
    Again, thanks!
    Rusty

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County