Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expired shortening -- would you use it?

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 9:04

I am home with two sick kids today. I was thinking about making peanut butter cookies. My only shortening is two of those Crisco shortening sticks that are in the foil containers unopened. They say "best if used by Aug 2, 2009" on them -- do you think they are still ok to use since they have not been opened? I drive to the store is out of the question today....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expired shortening -- would you use it?

I would taste it...the problem is rancidity which would make the cookies taste awful....but I dout that will happen in 3 months....that stuff has to be way full of preservatives!
But taste the crisco before you mix in a lot of sugar and other good stuff.
Don't you have any margerine or butter? You could use either of those things....but I think the crisco will be OK.
Linda C

o

I would use it. It seems to last forever.
jo

o

Use it! I just threw away a rancid can of Crisco,believe me when I tell you that if it's rancid, you'll smell it. :-P

o

Why take a chance??? Use Butter .
Lou

o

Lou, I don't think that butter and vegetable shortening are always interchangeable. Depends on the recipe.

As long as it doesn't smell rancid (and as compumom said, you will KNOW when it is rancid), it should be fine to use.

o

This must be why my mom keeps her shortening in the refrigerator.

o

Since they are still in their foil containers, I don't expect that they would have gotten rancid. I think that usually takes exposure to oxygen or bacteria. Plus it is only a few months past its "best if used by" date.

o

"Slightly rancid" affects the flavor way before it gets to the "ewww!" stage.
Rancid fats come from oxigination...exposure to air...so chances are large that the wrapped stuff isn't rancid.
And saturated fats resist getting rancid better than unsaturated fats....so unless it's that new Crisco with all the unsaturated fats....you are probably safe from nasty Crisco.
Linda C

o

Well I used it. It smelled fine to me. The cookies were excellent! I made them in my new range on convection bake. My best recipe for this is from my Betty Crocker cookbook that calls for 1/4 C shortening and 1/4 butter and only 1 egg.

I just wish they weren't so fattening.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here