SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Cookalong #1 --------------------- GINGER

wizardnm
14 years ago

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 9:59

The first ingredient focus is GINGER (any form).

Let's learn all we can.

Use this thread for all posts, recipes, discussion, pictures, questions, etc. If we need to add a second thread we can link it back to this one.

Recipes should all be T+T... unless stated that this a new recipe. Please give recipe source if known.

The Virtual dinner will be on Sat. January 31 2009.

You are encouraged to participate in the virtual dinner. No real requirements other than that one dish needs to have ginger in the starring role.

Please post a photo of your dish or dishes if you can. If you are new to posting photos we can help. If you haven't posted the recipe previously on the thread, please post it when you describe your virtual dinner.

All posts need to be completed by Sunday @ 6pm EST. I'll be drawing the name of the person who chooses the next focus ingredient soon after. So please check back in here Sunday evening to see if YOU are that person. The next day (Monday) is when we need to start the next Cookalong.

The one hangup I see is having the next person check in to find out they need to choose... have to work on that part. Ideas?

Let's begin our discussion about GINGER now.... :))

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original discussion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Cookalong #1 --- GINGER clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 10:23

Oh, how cool is this? I just picked up a beautiful piece of gingerroot yesterday! Now I just have to figure out what to make...

This sounds easy and good:

ASIAN PLUM-GLAZED ROASTED CHICKEN

1 (2-1/2 lb.) chicken

1/4 cup plum preserves

2 Tblsp. oyster sauce

1 Tblsp. Asian sesame oil

2 Tblsp. minced garlic

1 Tblsp. ground ginger

2 tsp. soy sauce

2 Tblsp. Chinese plum sauce

Wash chicken; pat dry. Tie legs together and tuck wings underneath breast. Combine preserves, oyster sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and plum sauce in a large bowl; whisk to mix thoroughly. Place chicken in the bowl with the marinade, turning to coat all sides of the chicken. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

About 2 hours before serving, preheat oven to 350 F. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken in a heatproof dish and bake for 40 minutes.

Add 1/3 cup water to bottom of dish; baste chicken with dripping/water mixture. Cook another 15 minutes, then baste again. Continue cooking and basting every 10 to 15 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked, about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Let cool slightly; carve and serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Chef Paul McCann of Le Cirque 2000 creates elaborate dishes for his pricey New York restaurant, but he also developed this simple entree for Smuckers. Asian flavors inspired the recipe, and the ingredient list may require a trip to an Asian market.

Recipe from the St Louis Post 1/01/01.

I also have a recipe for Carrot Ginger soup somewhere that is fabulous. If anyone's interested, I'll dig it up and post it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 10:51

I have a "clean out the refrigerator" pot of soup going....

As per another thread....turkey carcass and a chicken carcass, boiled for 6 hours and picked clean....the broth is coming to a boil now...I have added celery onion, a green pepper and carrots, about to add canned tomatoes, considering adding that lone zucchini and looking at that nice fat piece of ginger root and thinking...????

What do you think? Ginger in Turkey soup??

Not to steal Pat's thunder...but...

Ginger Carrot Soup

2 tablespoons sweet cream butter

2 onions, peeled and chopped

6 cups chicken broth

2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced

2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger

1 cup whipping cream

Salt and white pepper

Sour cream

Parsley sprigs, for garnish

In a 6-quart pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.

Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Don't fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Cover the blender and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender*. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with dollop sour cream and parsley sprigs.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.

Recipe courtesy Maxine Bonneau

Show: All American Festivals

Episode: Carrot Festival

Posted by prairie_love (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 10:53

Yum! I love ginger!

I'm sorry, but I have a couple of questions about how this works. The discussion that is starting now - are we supposed to post *any* ginger recipes that we think people might like or only the recipe(s) that we are going to use for the virtual dinner? And are we supposed to post our recipe before the dinner or does it matter?

Can the ginger be in any of its forms - fresh, powdered, crystallized?

I posted my ginger cake recipe once before, if anyone wants that I can repost. I also have a carrot ginger soup that is good. I'll have to think about what else I have.

Ann

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 10:54

Here are links to two cake recipes. The citrus ginger cake with spiced orange compote from Eating Well is in my "to try" folder, and the Pear Ginger Coffee Cake from Penzeys I have made and it is out of this world!

citrus-ginger-cake-with-spiced-orange-compote-recipe

Pear Ginger Coffee Cake

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 11:22

Ann, the ginger can be in any form, dried, fresh, jarred, preserved... one of the reasons I picked ginger is because it does come in many forms (plus I love ginger!)

As far as recipes go... this might be a very good place to re-post your Ginger Cake recipe, some might have missed it and after all...it is a T+T. I guess what we don't want is to have someone just start collecting recipes from the Internet, posting a whole slew of them that have no relevance to the discussion...know what I mean? By all means, fell free to post any that you plan on using for the virtual dinner at anytime. Any way you want to do it is fine. Keep in mind that when you post a picture of a recipe it's nice to post the recipe at the same time on something like this.

Pat t ...I hope you make that chicken, it sure sounds good to me.

LindaC, I bet ginger would add a good dimension to your soup....go for it.

Laurie..both recipes are yummy!

Nancy

Posted by amck (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 11:51

Okay, you have lured me in. I'm not usually a game joiner, but ginger....

Posted by prairie_love (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 12:16

GINGERBREAD

2 1/4 cups sifted (9 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground ginger**

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 teaspoon Dutch-processed cocoa

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature

3/4 cup mild or light molasses

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup milk

1 large egg

**For a stronger ginger flavor, replace the ground ginger with 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger and 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger. (I used 3 T fresh, 3 T crystallized, and 1 t ground)

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of an 11 by 7-inch baking dish; dust with flour, tapping out the excess.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and cocoa in a medium bowl.

3. Beat the butter, molasses, sugar, buttermilk, milk, and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until the batter is smooth and thick, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Do not overmix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.

4. Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and the edges have pulled away from the pan sides, about 40 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack and cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Variation: Fold 3/4 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped prunes into the finished batter (I have not tried this).

Posted by marigene (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 15:17

Here is one with powdered ginger, my favorite gingersnaps.

Best Ginger Snaps

3/4 cup butter

3/4 cup shortening

2 cups sugar plus 3/4 cup for rolling***

2 eggs

1/2 cup molasses

4 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 teaspoons ground cloves

2 teaspoons ginger

Cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and molasses very thoroughly. Gradually add dry ingredients. Beat hard.

Don't be alarmed if the batter is soft!

Roll pieces of dough into 1" balls, then roll each ball into rest of sugar*** (I use coarse sugar but it isn't necessary if you don't have it).

Bake on greased baking sheet about 3" apart 10-12 minutes in 375 degree oven.

Take cookies from oven and let them stand for 1 minute before removing and cool on wire rack.

Makes 11-12 dozen cookies

Posted by netla (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 17:49

This is my own recipe.

Ginger milk

Serves 2-3.

1/2 litre (1 pint) milk

2,5 cm (1 inch) fresh ginger root, OR 1 tsp powdered ginger (fresh is much better)

sugar to taste

Grate the ginger into cold milk and bring to the boil over medium heat. Strain into cups and serve with sugar to taste. If the milk curdles, try again with less ginger (this happens occasionally and the only explanation I can see is that the strength of the ginger varies depending on the soil it was grown in and its freshness).

This has a calming effect on an upset stomach, especially if it is bloated or aching from earlier overeating. It's also a good sleep aid, but more than that, it just happens to be very tasty even if there is nothing wrong with you, and it's just as warming as hot chocolate or coffee with brandy.

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 18:07

Well, this is interesting, but to be honest, I do not like ginger. I have tried to like it, and it is ok in small quantities, but it is one of the very few spices that I am not crazy about(alond with curry powder).

Nancy, that marinade that you make for chicken, it has ginger in it doesn't it? If I were to make a virtual meal, which I have never done, and used that marinade, woudl that classify as a focus on ginger?

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 18:21

I'm NOT taking a photo of my favorite way to use ginger.

If I have a particularly stressful day at work, I'll come home and soak in a nice hot bath with slices of fresh ginger root added to it. The aroma is so soothing.

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 18:43

Sherry, I think the marinade has plenty of ginger in it to give it a starring role and because you discard the marinade you are not really eating ginger. I certainly do understand likes and dislikes. I'm sure it won't take long for a focus ingredient to be something I don't really care for.... law of averages!

Here's the marinade recipe.

ASIAN MARINADE

Enough for 5lbs. of chicken breasts.

1 C vegetable oil

¼ C sesame oil

¾ C soy sauce

1/3 C minced garlic

¼ C minced fresh ginger

2/3 C minced cilantro

6 green onions, sliced thin

1 tsp black pepper

Combine and add chicken. Marinate for 2 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Nancy

Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 18:53

I think ginger is another one of those things you either love or hate. I like ginger but my DW doesn't. Soooo, I rarely use it. It's funny sheshebop, she also doesn't like curry. Hmmm... interesting. Of course there have been many things that she didn't used to like that she now likes so maybe this Cookalong will inspire me to make something that changes her mind. That would be very good.. for me. Smiles.

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 19:07

I love ginger, but I don't care much for curry, LOL.

Count me in Nancy, I'm making these pork chops because I love pears and I love ginger, so I like them a lot. I use a sweet white moscato instead of a dry white wine, though, because I don't like dry white wine. Maybe for dessert I'll make these ginger cookies with dried ginger and ginger preserves, I got the recipe from Readinglady.

Pork Chops with Pear and Ginger Sauce

Four 4-ounce boneless pork chops, trimmed, 1/2 inch thick

Salt and pepper to taste

2 teaspoons canola oil

3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons sugar

2/3 cup dry white wine

1 cup- reduced sodium chicken broth

1 firm, ripe pear (such as Bosc or Anjou), peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths

One 1 1/2 inch long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips (1/4 cup)

6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2 inch lengths

2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water

Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Add vinegar and sugar to the pan, stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10 to 20 seconds. Pour in wine. Stand back, as the caramel may sputter. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about two minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan. Stir to coat with juices. Serve immediately.

GINGER COOKIES

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1/2 teaspoon fine salt

5 cracks freshly ground black pepper

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup sugar, plus more for rolling the cookies

1/4 cup dark brown sugar

1 large egg yolk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup unsulphured molasses

2 tablespoons ginger preserves (see Cook's note)

Whisk the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, mustard, salt and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and the sugars with a hand mixer electric mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat on medium speed until just incorporated, about 20 seconds. Add the molasses and ginger preserves and continue beating until the batter is an even light brown color, 30 seconds more. Add the dry ingredients all at once, beating slowly to make a soft, smooth dough. Use a rubber spatula to make sure all ingredients are combined. Then beat again for 20 seconds. Cover the bowl with plastic and refrigerate the dough until firm, about 25 minutes.

Put about 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. With a cookie scoop or a small ice cream scoop, portion the dough into a slightly heaping tablespoon for each cookie. Roll the dough, by hand, into balls. Roll the tops of the balls in the sugar, and space them 2 inches apart on a nonstick or lightly oiled cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 25 minutes. (The chilling is what gives this cookie a beautiful, crackly crunch on top, and a soft, chewy center.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until the top is crackly, and the insides peeking out through are dark and moist but not raw, about 15 to 20 minutes. Briefly cool the cookies on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

Serve or store in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 weeks.

Cook's Note: Ginger preserves give lots of flavor without the hard chunks of crystallized ginger. It is found in most grocery stores.

Annie

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 19:22

saying you don't like curry is rather like saying you don't like fruit....Curry is so many different things...mixes of spices...methods of cooking, foods to cook it with etc.

A lamb curry with middle eastern overtones is very different from s sweet creamy shrimp curry or form a curry and lime dip for veggies and for a brownsugar sauce to put over baked fruit.

B ut that's another thread.

here's another favorite ginger recipe...

GREEN PEPPERCORN, GINGER, AND ORANGE SAUCE

1/2 cup sour cream

1/4 cup mayonnaise

2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard

1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot

1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest

2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

1 1/2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar

In a bowl whisk together the sour cream, the mayonnaise, the mustard, the gingerroot, the zest, the juice, the green peppercorns, the sugar, the vinegar, and salt to taste and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to let the flavors develop.

And this in my "to try" files....waiting for spring!

Makes 1.4 kg (3 lb)

Rhubarb - 1.1 kg (2½ lb), chopped

Sugar - 1.1 kg (2½ lb)

Lemons - 2, juice only

Fresh root ginger - 25g (1 oz)

Preserved or crystallised ginger - 110g (4 oz), chopped

METHOD

Put the rhubarb in a large bowl in alternate layers with the sugar and lemon juice. Cover and leave overnight.

Next day, bruise the ginger root slightly with a weight or rolling pin, then tie it in a piece of muslin. Put the rhubarb mixture into a preserving pan with the muslin bag and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 15 minutes.

Remove the muslin bag, add the preserved or crystallised ginger and boil for a further 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is clear. Test for a set and, when the setting point is reached, take the pan off the heat and skim the surface with a slotted spoon. Pot and cover the jam.

Posted by beverlyal (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 19:34

Linda, your Green Peppercorn,Ginger and Orange Sauce sounds good. What do you use it for?

Beverly

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 20:24

This link is a T&T recipe that I made for Christmas this year. It was my first time doing a pork loin roast and it was out of this world delicious. I did not use all of the ingredients for the marinade, my mom had a bottle of asian style marinade called "Soy Vey" which I subbed. I also did't use all that sugar for the sweet potatoes--just about 3/4 cup brown sugar and a small can of crushed pineapple. I know you said not to just post Web links, but that's how some of my recipes are filed--as bookmarked Web pages. No sense just cutting and pasting when folks can go to the Web site themselves. I did make this, as I mentioned. It's an easy peasy way to do a ginger marinade for pork or chicken if you don't want to fuss with fresh ginger (like me).

Ginger Ale Marinated Pork Loin with Caramelized Sweet Potatoes from Emeril Lagasse for Foodnetwork.com

Posted by trsinc (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 20:38

Well, darn it! We just finished up supper. T bone with fried shrimp and a garlic ginger mayo for dipping. LOL I just checked in here and what da ya know? I'm not one of those measuring, writing it down, kind of cooks although I keep saying I should be.

Tonight we had a dip for our fried shrimp that was Hellman's mayo, ginger, garlic, hot pepper (ripe red from the garden), a smidge soy sauce and lemon juice. It was good on the shrimp and good on the steak too. I wish I had seen this post before I cooked. I would have measured.

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 20:53

Here are a few T&T that we love.....

Honey Ginger Salmon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup orange juice

1/4 cup honey

1 green onion, chopped

1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet

4 servings Change size or US/metric : 35 minutes 20 mins prep

Change to: servings US Metric

1. In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.

2. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.

3. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.

4. Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.

5. Turn bag occasionally.

6. Lightly grease grill rack.

7. Preheat grill to medium heat.

8. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.

9. Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

10. Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.

11. Discard leftover marinade.

lemon ginger biscotti

30 biscotti

2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger

2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

3 large eggs

cooking spray

1 tablespoon water

1 egg white

1 tablespoon sugar

preheat oven to 350 combine flour, sugar, baking soda, ginger and salt in a large bowl.

stir in crystallized ginger.

mix lemon rind, lemon juice and eggs together and stir into flour mixture.

the dough will be crumbly.

turn dough out to a lightly floured surface, knead 7-8 times.

divide dough in half.

shape each half into a log.

spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray, place logs 6" apart.

combine water and egg white and brush over tops.

sprinkle with sugar.

bake for 30 minutes.

remove to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.

slice each log diagonally into 3/4" slices.

place back on baking sheet, upright.

lower oven to 325.

bake 30 minutes longer , remove to a wire rack, cool.

Carrot Ginger Soup with Coconut Roasted Shrimp

HEALTHY

ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN

TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN

SERVES: 6

The Good News A little coconut milk and shredded coconut soften the spicy edge of this soup while adding just a small amount of fat.

ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

4 large carrots (3/4 pound), chopped

1 tablespoon finely grated ginger

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

3 cups low-sodium chicken broth

3 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter

1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

1 cup skim milk

1/4 cup light coconut milk

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

16 large shrimp, shelled

1 1/2 tablespoons shredded coconut

Pinch of cayenne pepper

directions

Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, ginger and crushed red pepper and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter and sesame oil.

In a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return it to the saucepan and stir in the skim milk and coconut milk. Season the soup with salt and pepper and keep warm.

Toss the shrimp with the coconut, cayenne and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes, or until pink. Ladle the carrot-ginger soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the coconut shrimp.

NOTES One Serving 230 cal, 11 gm total fat, 3.6 gm saturated fat, 17 gm carb, 3 gm fiber.

Crispy Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients:

24 medium Shrimp

3/4 cup Flour

1/2 tsp Garlic and herb seasoning

1 Egg, well beaten

1/4 tsp Black Pepper

1/4 cup shredded Coconut

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray large baking sheet with non-stick spray. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with seasoning blend and pepper. Place flour, egg, and coconut in three small separate bowls. Dip shrimp first in egg, then flour, then back in egg, then generously in coconut. Arrange shrimp on baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve with dipping sauce. Makes 4 servings.

I like a plum or mango chile dipping sauce. Nectar, preserves, fresh fruit if available, crushed pepper or fresh chiles.

And one I have NOT tried, but I have it in my try soon file... just because!

Ginger Ale

1/2 ounce ginger root

1 large lemon

1 cuo sugar

1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar

1/2 gallon boiling water

1/2 tablespoon packaged dry yeast

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cuo warm water

4 pint size bottles with corks or screw tops

lightly crush ginger root. Peel and slice lemon. Add ginger, lemon and 1 cup sugar to boiling water. Allow to cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons years. 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Add to ginger mixture. Let sit in a warm area for 8 hours. Skim off bubbles from time to time. Ladle into bottles- avoid the sludge att the bottom of the pot. cork or cap the bottler and let them stand in a warm place for three days. Chill before serving.

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 21:00

Alton Brown just had on a very good episode about....

ginger! Anyone else catch it? I might have to make his homemade gingerale soon.

Posted by annie1971 (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 21:33

I KNEW you guys didn't want me to play with you!

Hubby Dubby Do doesn't like ginger, so I don't cook with it much. I have something up my sleeve for you to try, however! Will be in touch.

Annie1971

Posted by kathleen_li (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 21:53

I'll be a spectator too on this one...we don't care for ginger...I'll set the table for you, though..:)

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 22:18

Given this topic, I challenge myself to create a recipe named 'Fred Astaire's Finger'.

Posted by trsinc (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 22:38

You are terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 22:40

LOL

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 23:10

Jessica, you're incorrigible. That's why I like you, LOL.

Teresa, I saw that episode just tonight, but didn't get any good ideas except that now Elery wants to make some homemade ginger ale.

Yes, LindaC, I know, there's many kinds of curry. I've tried curried lamb and detested it, not liking either curry powder or lamb. I've had curried fruit, equally icky. I've had a curry and carrot soup and a curried chicken thing with pineapple in it that was supposed to be Thai. Didn't like any of 'em, so I probably don't like curry. I even invoked Renee's 7 year rule and try it again every now and then, but still haven't eaten anything called curry, flavored with curry or "curried" that I like.

Annie

Posted by kathleen_li (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 23:39

Ditto the above for me!

Posted by lisa_in_germany (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 2:05

I love ginger. I am certainly going to try doing this. If I am lucky, that will even be my day off. If not, I will just cook for lunch instead of dinner. Hope that's o.k.

Lisa

Posted by adoptedbygreyhounds (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 7:32

Here is a simple tea/infusion that is comforting on a cold day. Use kitchen shears to snip 6 or 7 "quarters" of crystalized ginger into a large mug. Add cold water and microwave for 3 minutes and let it steep for a couple. You could strain out the ginger, but I leave it in for a treat when the tea is gone.

We also like this one...

Baked Oatmeal

from King Arthur FlourÂs "Whole Grain Baking"

This makes a great breakfast or brunch casserole. IÂve made it many times for house guests. (Some people in my extended family get very nervous without their daily oatmeal, lol.) You can vary the fruit (blueberries, bananas, craisens, etc) to your liking or add walnuts or pecans.

1 cup (4 3/4 ounces) steel-cut oats

4 tablespoons (½ stick, 2 oz.) unsalted butter

4 cups (1 quart) water

3 cups (10 ½ oz.) old-fashioned rolled oats

3/4 cup (5 5/8 oz.) packed light or dark brown sugar

1 ½ cups (6 oz.) Peeled and diced apple (1 large)

1 ½ cups (6 oz.) diced dried apricots

1/4 cup (1 5/8 oz.) diced crystallized ginger

1 tsp salt

2 tsps ground cinnamon

2 tsps ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 large eggs

½ cup (4 oz.) milk [I use 1 cup]

1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Butter a 9-inch-square baking dish. [I make it in a 8x12 casserole.]

Place the steel-cut oats and butter in a large bowl. Bring the water to a boil and pour over the oats. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, stir in the old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, apple, apricots, ginger, salt and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir into the oat mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Bake, until the center is set, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve warm with milk or cream for breakfast, or warm with whipped cream, ice cream or frozen yogurt for dessert.

Posted by nan_nc (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 8:16

Next time you make chick or turkey soup, DO add some fresh ginger to the broth. It's wonderful!

Posted by caboodle (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 8:56

Annie, I've made the pork, pear, and ginger recipe. We, and especially my dh, liked it.

I've been wanting to make a carrot soup and might just try the ginger carrot soup recipe.

I've also been wanting to try the Dan Dan Mian recipe that seagrass posted.

Here is a recipe that we like:

Asian-Style Green Beans

=======================

1 lb fresh green beans

1 tsp minced ginger root

1 clove garlic

Mix together

2 T water

1 T soy sauce

1 tsp cornstarch

1 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp sesame oil

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

toasted sesame seeds, opt.

Steam or saute beans with ginger and garlic until desired tenderness.

Add the sauce to the beans and cook, stirring gently until sauce is clear-- less than a minute.

Top with toasted sesame seeds, optional

Judi

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 10:20

Lindac, I said I did not like curry POWDER. I believe that is what the following comments were referring to.

Annie, those pork chops sound good. I might try that with less ginger.

Posted by triciae (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 10:40

Another one here with a DH that won't eat ginger. He gets little painful bumps in his mouth/throat. I'll watch for the next ingredient. I sometimes make gingersnaps & then eat them all myself!

/tricia

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 13:13

Sherry, curry powder is not a finite thing like ginger. It is a blend of spices, usually but not always containing a mixture of tumeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cinnamon, ginger,several kinds of pepper, mustard, fennel, cloves, cardamon and likely more....in various amounts and proportions. Different brands contain different mixes of different spices in different amounts.

So if you don't like one curry powder, try another. Different curry powders are more different than different kinds of cinnamon.

Those that are heavy with tumeric are not as good to me as those which have less of that "yellow dye" in them.

Linda C

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 15:52

While I agree that curry powders vary, I don't think the differences are so significant that you really need to try more than one to decide that you don't like curry powder. Just my opinion. I love curry powder but just don't know why we're talking about it.

Ginger - Julienned, salted till tender, rinsed, added to stir fry - Yum!

Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 16:02

In honor of of this weeks ingredient - ginger - I put half a tee spoon to the chili I am making for dinner right now:)

I will try to come up with something where ginger is the king/queen if time allows.

Posted by gellchom (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 17:56

I chose this because it uses TWO kinds of ginger. The crystallized ginger really makes it pop. Plus, you all already have the recipes for that Polynesian peanut soup and the Chinese meatball soup.

This dessert is easy (SUPER easy), yummy, and even pretty healthful (unless you serve it with ice cream).

Annie1992, you'll like this one: ginger and pears.

Ginger pears

203 pears, peeled, halved, and cored

1/2 c brown sugar

1 T fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/4 c sliced almonds (I like them toasted a bit)

crystallized ginger, chopped, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange the pears, cut side up, in a baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, lemon juice, ground ginger, and almonds. Spoon over pears. Add a little water to the bottom of the baking dish and bake 15-20 min., until pears are tender.

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 18:16

Someplace I saw a recipe for a ginger cake or gingerbread using 3 kinds of ginger...powdered, grated fresh and bits of candied ginger.

Would love to know where I saw it....andw ould love to find it again....and make it!

Linda C

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 19:35

That cake recipe caught my eye too Linda. I have been trying to find a nice gingerbread cake. It is about the 9th post on this thread.

Posted by malna (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 20:40

gellchom,

How big a baking dish do I need for:

LOL!

Posted by kathleen_li (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 21:14

Very, very big!!!! :)

Posted by ssommerville (My Page) on Tue, Jan 20, 09 at 21:51

This is what we had last night for dinner and it is a favourite of ours.

Japanese chicken noodle bowl

1/2 tsp five spice powder

1/4 tsp salt

2 6-7 oz boneless chicken breast halves, skin on

2 tbsp miso paste

1 tsp light soy sauce

3 14 oz cans chicken broth, divided

2 large garlic cloves, sliced

1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh ginger

1 carrot sliced 1/2 inch thick

2 bunches baby bok choy or 1/2 lb spinach (I use spinach)

4 oz firm tofu diced, (I usually omit just because I never have it handy)

8 oz soba noodles cooked according to directions then drained and rinsed under cold water

Directions:

Heat oven to 325F. Combine five spice powder and salt in a cup. Sprinkle over chicken. Heat oil in medium dutch oven over med high heat for 1 min. Add chicken skin side down, cover and cook about 6 min or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to small baking dish and discard drippings.

Bake chicken twelve to fifteen min or til an instant read thermometer reaches 170F when inserted in center of each breast..

Meanwhile, combine miso paste, soy sauce and 1/4 c of the broth in a small bowl. Heat same dutch oven over med heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 min. Stir in remaining broth and miso mixture until smooth. Add carrot and bring mixture to a boil; cover and simmer 15 min. Add bok choy or spinach and tofu. Cook uncovered 5 min more, til greens are tender and tofu is heated through. Slice chicken into chunks and add to pot or place in bowls with noodles and top with soup. (I just add chicken and noodles to the pot and then serve). Any leftover soup will thicken quite a bit, so I usually just add a bit more stock the next day.

Serves 4

Shelley S.

Posted by prairie_love (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 10:07

How big a baking dish do I need for:

I was wondering how long it would take me to peel, halve, and core the 203 pears. And how this could be a super easy recipe. LOL! Actually sounds very good.

Linda_C, I do think it's the recipe I posted above that you are thinking of. I had a thread about the frosting to be used for this back right before Christmas and you asked for the recipe.

Ann_F

Posted by magothyrivergirl (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 11:23

Two recipes using ginger we like:

from Cooking Light, Dec 2003:

Note: To speed prep, heat skillet while fish marinates. Serve w/ pickled ginger & white rice tossed w/ chopped green onion.

WASABI SALMON

2 T low sodium soy sauce

1 tsp wasabi powder

1 tsp bottled minced fresh ginger

1/2 tsp dark sesame oil

4 (6 -oz) skinless salmon fillets 1" thick

cooking spray

Combine soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, & sesame oil in a large zip top bag; add salmon. seal & marinate at room temp. 5 mins., turning bag occasionally. Remove salmon from bag, reserving marinade.

While fish marinates, heat a large nonstick skillet coated w/ cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the salmon & marinade; cook 3 minutes. Turn salmon over. reduce heat to medium; cook 8 minutes longer or until salmon is done.

The 2nd recipe is from the Food Network from at least 2004

I make this dish in a deep dish pyrex pie pan. I stand the shrimp up in a concentric (?) circle (keep going round & round til there is only 1 shrimp in the center). This makes a pretty presentation.

Garlic Ginger Teriyaki Shrimp

Recipe courtesy Keith Young

Show: Cooking LiveEpisode: Gridiron Gourmet: Girls Night Off

4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:

* 2 pounds shrimp, 16 to 20 count

* 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

* 1/2 cup soy sauce

* 1/4 cup sesame oil

* 12 cloves garlic, minced

* 1/2 cup peeled ginger, minced

* 2 teaspoons red pepper sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Peel shrimp leaving the final tail section intact. Devein and partially butterfly shrimp (only butterfly the area furthest from the tail, so the shrimp will stand properly in a casserole dish). Set shrimp aside.

Place all remaining ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add shrimp to bowl and marinate for about 1/2 an hour, any longer may toughen the shrimp. Remove shrimp from marinade and stand each one individually in casserole dish, one behind the other, with each tail resting on the shrimp in front of it. Pour marinade into casserole dish covering shrimp approximately 1/2 way. Place shrimp in oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

Posted by chase (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 12:03

Well the resident wimp doesn't "do" ginger...well he thinks he doesn't but I put it most of my Chinese recipes and he loves them all!

He also doesn't do spicy and that's harder to hide! LOL He will be out of town the weekend of the 31st so I think I'll make this one just for me. I made it once before and loved it...think it may have come from here but I* neglected to copy the source. If you recognize it speak up.

Hot And Sour Shrimp Lo Mein

1 1/2 Lb medium shrimp peeled

Ginger Marinade

3 Tbl Chinese rice wine or sake

1 1/2 Tbl minced fresh ginger

1 Tsp toasted sesame oil

Hot and Sour Sauce

1 1/2 Cup chicken broth

5 1/2 Tbl soy sauce

2 Tbl Chinese rice wine or sake

2 Tbl sugar

2 Tbl Chinese black vinegar or Worcestershire sauce

1 Tsp sesame oil

1 Tbl cornstarch

Lo Mein

3 1/2 Tbl safflower or corn oil

1 medium red onion thinly sliced

2 1/2 Tbl minced garlic

1 Tsp hot chile paste

1/2 Lb snow peas ends snapped and strings removed

1 1/2 cups canned water chestnuts, sliced

1/2 Lb flat noodles

In a bowl, combine the shrimp with the ginger marinade, tossing lightly to coat.

Combine ingredients for Hot and Sour Sauce

In a wok or heavy skillet over high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil and heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and toss lightly for about 1 1/2 minutes until they turn pink. Remove with a handled strainer or a slotted spoon and drain in a colander. Wipe out the wok.

Reheat the wok over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and heat until hot, about 20 seconds. Add the onion, garlic and chile paste and stir-fry until the onion is slightly softened, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and snow peas,turn up the heat to high and toss until heated through.

Add the hot-and- sour sauce and cook, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the shrimp and noodles and mix gently. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 12:14

Prairie/Ann, not the recipe for the ginger cake. The cake I am thinking of had 3 kinds of ginger in the cake, and I found it in a cookbook or magazine...I can see it on a printed page....but not well enough to read it! LOL!

It'll surface....sometime!

Linda c

Posted by ssommerville (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 12:46

LindaC,

Here's one that uses all three.

Triple Ginger Cake with Lemon Glaze

A great dessert for a buffett.

Serving: 8

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground ginger

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

1 large egg

1/2 cup light unsulphured molasses

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

1/2 cup milk

3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger

For the glaze:

2 tablespoons dark rum or ginger liqueur

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square or round cake pan.

2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the egg, molasses, and fresh ginger and beat until well blended. Reduce the speed to low and in 3 batches, beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in the crystallized ginger. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

4. Bake until the center springs back when touched lightly with a fingertip, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a rack and turn right side up. Cool 15 minutes.

5. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. Stir until well blended, then brush onto the top and sides of the cake. Let cool before serving. Makes one 8-inch cake.

Based on individual serving.

Calories: 350

Total Fat: 12 g

Carbohydrates: 55 g

Protein: 4 g

Shelley S

Posted by prairie_love (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 13:27

OK, it may not be the same, but that one above does have three kinds of ginger. At least the way I make it :)

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 14:48

If that isn't "IT" it'll do until the real one gets uncovered.....sounds wonderful....and it may well be "IT" because I am remembering a lemon glaze....but don't remember there being any molasses in the cake nor rum in the glaze....

Now if I ever get my sink un plugged....I amy make it!!

Thanks!

Linda c

Posted by trsinc (My Page) on Wed, Jan 21, 09 at 15:21

I've made this one a few times. It's so simple it doesn't seem like it would be good.

Note: I start with less honey than called for and taste as I go. I've also used boneless breasts with no overnight marinating.

INDONESIAN GINGER CHICKEN

Ina Garten - The Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients

* 1 cup honey

* 3/4 cup soy sauce

* 1/4 cup minced garlic (8 to 12 cloves)

* 1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh ginger root

* 2 (3 1/2 pound) chickens, quartered, with backs removed

Directions

Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is

Comments (2)