SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Cookalong #2 --------------------- GARLIC

wizardnm
15 years ago

Cookalong #2 --- GARLIC Thread #1

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 12:33

Everyone is invited to join in, this time the focus is on GARLIC!

Joanm won the drawing and has chosen a great subject. We should be able to have a lot of fun. Good choice Joan, I wondered if you would choose something other than chocolate, glad you did!

Our virtual dinner, focusing on garlic, will be "the weekend" of February 14th. I realize that this is an important holiday and many will going out for dinner, or may not want to have garlic breath on that Saturday night (hehe) so if you need to have your dinner earlier or on Sunday, close counts..... pictures of your finished dinner are encouraged but not required. Progress reports are fun also.

On Monday, Feb 16 another name will be drawn and that person will pick the next focus ingredient. When you post to this thread, your name is automatically thrown into the hat.

For those that may have missed the first Cookalong..... the idea here is to post hints, recipes and discuss the focus ingredient over the next two weeks. Recipes can use any form of the ingredient. Please mention the recipe source and whether it is one that you have already made (T+T) or one that you might be trying for the first time.

I'm going to make an attempt to link all the cookalongs together.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #1 link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Cookalong #2 --- GARLIC Thread #1 clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 12:45

Yippee! We LOVE garlic! Valentines Day? Who cares. If he breathes garlic on me I will breathe garlic right back at him!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Cookalong #2 --- GARLIC Thread #1 clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 13:04

Exactly! Two garlics cancel each other out.

I'll start with my favorite garlic pasta recipe.

Three garlic pasta

Martha Stewart

Serves 4

1 head plus 8 cloves garlic

1 pound spaghetti

2 tablespoons olive oil

3/4 cup dry white wine

1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped

1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Parmesan cheese, for grating

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap garlic head in foil, or place in garlic roaster; roast until soft and golden, about 1 hour. Let cool, trim tip of head; squeeze out cloves, using back of knife. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.

2. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, and run under cold water to stop cooking.

3. Thinly slice five cloves of unroasted garlic. Finely chop remaining three cloves. Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add sliced garlic; toast until golden and crisp. Remove garlic with slotted spoon; set aside. Add chopped garlic; saute until translucent, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add roasted garlic and white wine; let simmer about 3 minutes. Add pasta, parsley, red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste; toss. Serve sprinkled with toasted garlic slivers. Grate Parmesan over each serving.

Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 14:47

This is a GOOD vegetable side dish. I made it for yesterday's Super Bowl get-together for the vegetarians among us. It transported well: I baked it for 30 min rather than the 45 min & covered it with foil, then reheated it covered for 15 - 20 min.

Rustic summer vegetable casserole

Total time: 1 3/4 hours (includes 45 minutes baking time)

Servings: 12 to 16

Note: This recipe can be halved to feed a smaller crowd.

7 Tbsp olive oil, divided

3 Tbsp sherry vinegar

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 large red onion, cut in half lengthwise then sliced into 1/4 -inch slices

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

12 large basil leaves, torn into pieces (1 cup, loosely packed) OR 1 Tbsp dried

4 large tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped into 1 1/2 -inch pieces

3 ears corn, husked, kernels cut off (about 4 cups)

3 1/2 lb summer squash (zucchini, yellow squash, patty pan squash, etc.), seeded and chopped into 1 1/2 -inch pieces

3 c. coarse, fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole wheat

1/4 c. fresh lemon juice, divided

3 Tbsp melted butter

2 Tbsp chopped mixed herbs (such as thyme, rosemary and flat-leaf parsley)

1 c. shredded Gruyère cheese

1/2 c. sour cream or plain Greek-style yogurt

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 1 Tbsp oil; set aside.

2. Heat 3 Tbsp of the remaining oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vinegar, garlic, onions, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the basil, tomatoes and corn and cook until the tomatoes have released their liquid, 6 to 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the onion-tomato-corn mixture to prepared baking dish.

4. Return the skillet to the stove and add the remaining 3 Tbsp oil, the squash, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just golden-brown in parts, 12 to 14 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the breadcrumbs with 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and the butter, herbs, 1/4 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper, just until combined.

5. Transfer the squash to the dish with the onion-tomato-corn mix. Add the Gruyère, sour cream (in dollops), and the remaining 2 Tbsp lemon juice and half of the breadcrumbs, and toss together gently to combine. Top with the remaining breadcrumbs; bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.

Source: Los Angeles Times, July 23, 2008

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 14:50

Congrats Joan for the win!:) We love garlic too and we could care less if we eat it on Valentine's Day. Oh, there are way too any dishes to think about because I use garlic all the time.

I love garlic shrimp, garlic crabs, garlic pasta, 40 clove garlic chicken, roasted garlic soup, and on and on:)

Looking forward to the next dinner.

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 15:33

Loving this Cookalong! I total agree with Dixiedog; Roasted Garlic Soup was my first thought.

ROASTED CREAM OF GARLIC SOUP

26 Garlic gloves (about 3 bulbs)

2 Tablespoons olive oil

¼ Stick butter

2 ¼ Cups sliced onions

1 ½ Teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

18 Garlic cloves

3 ½ Cups chicken broth/stock

½ Cup whipping cream

1 cup white wine

½ Cup shredded Parmesan cheese

4 Lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 350°. Place 3 bulbs in small glass baking dish. Cut off top of bulbs and sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Cover and bake for 45 minutes of until garlic is golden brown. Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release garlic into bowl.

Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and thyme and cook until onions are translucent. Add roasted garlic and 18 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes. Scoop out solids and puree in blender. Add puree back to stock, add cream and wine, and bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide grated cheese among 4 bowls and ladle soup over cheeses. Squeeze with lemon and serve.

Posted by sherrmann (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 15:43

My family jokes that I can't cook anything without garlic.

Here's a T & T appetizer:

8 oz plain goat cheese

8 oz shredded Mozzarella

8 shredded Provolone

Parsley, fresh chopped or dried, 1 or 2 T

Ground Cayenne Pepper - dash or more if you like hot

2 T ExtraVirgin Olive oil

8 to 10 large garlic cloves, minced or put through a press

Garlic Powder (a light sprinkling)

Garlic Salt (another light sprinkling

Assemble all ingredients except garlic salt in oven-proof serving bowl, mix thoroughly. Bake at 325º about 25 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Serve immediately with fresh slices of French Bread.

You can bake at other temps, just adjust the time to suit.

Sherry

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 17:22

Good choice Joan! And I'm another who loves a good garlic & cream soup. This is one of my own, with butternut in it as well:

Roasted Garlic & Butternut Soup

6 - 8 servings (My own recipe. I always make too much!)

1 1/2 lbs butternut squash - after baking there should be about 2 cups of mashed squash

1 lg Spanish onion - peeled and cut into 8 chunks

1 medium leek - washed & chopped, including best-looking top green leaves

1 teasp cumin

1 head of garlic - sliced across top to expose cloves

2 - 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth

200 ml (about 3/4 cup) light cream or half & half

olive oil

fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste

homemade garlic croutons (optional) & chopped flat leaf parsley

Utensils needed: oven or toaster oven and roasting pan or tray, frying pan & lid, blender or food processor, large heavy saucepan with lid.

1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 300F

2. Split, quarter and seed butternut squash, and arrange on roasting tray together with cut chunks of onion and head of garlic. Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast 1 hr or until all is golden and tender, including garlic.

3. Clean and chop leek, including top green leaves. Sauté in a little oil for in frying pan 5 minutes. Then add 2 cups of chicken broth, turn down to simmer with lid on until tender - about 12 - 15 minutes.

4. When butternut etc is cooked, scrape it from skin and place in food processor along with the onion, cumin, and some pepper.

Squeeze the garlic cloves - which should be soft and buttery - from their skins and add to food processor.

5. Add some of the rest of the chicken broth and process to a puré. Gradually add the leek and liquid from pan. Process until all is smooth, adding more of the chicken broth as needed.

6. Place the mixture in the saucepan and gently heat. Add the rest of the broth as needed for the desired consistency..

Add the cream, reserving 2 TBS for swirling as a garnish when served. Check the seasoning - adding salt and pepper as needed.

7. Serve with a swirl of cream, chopped parsley and small homemade garlic-flavoured croutons.

SharonCb

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 17:47

Fast and easy: Pasta with Olive Oil And Garlic

1 pound dried pasta

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

3 cloves roasted garlic, minced

1/4 cup pasta cooking water

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt

1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped

Cook the pasta al dente.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the pasta water, red pepper, salt, and parsley and bring to a boil. Toss with the cooked pasta.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 19:29

Cathy beat me to it with her post of garlic soup. that is my all time favorite soua and my all time favorite recipe of garlic soup. (Thank you David). I use that recipe, but I always add a little rotini pasta to give it more substance. It also goes further that way.

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 21:52

Well I guess there are several of us who really love the Garlic Soup Recipe. The one posted is almost identical to the one that I use. I want to say that I got it from Bon Appetit many years ago. It is good.

Sharon your roasted Butternut and Garlic Soup looks delicious.

Posted by riverrat1 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 22:51

I'm in...I hope nothing gets in the way of me cooking this because it's a good one.

CI note: Try not to purchase heads of garlic that contain enormous cloves; if unavoidable, increase the foil-covered baking time to 40 to 45 minutes so that the largest cloves soften fully. A large Dutch oven can be used in place of a skillet, if you prefer. Broiling the chicken for a few minutes at the end of cooking crisps the skin, but this step is optional. Serve the dish with slices of crusty baguette for dipping into the sauce and onto which the roasted garlic cloves can be spread.

Lots of Garlic Chicken

Table salt

1 whole chicken (3½ to 4 pounds), cut into 8 pieces (4 breast pieces, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks) and trimmed of excess fat.

Ground black pepper

3 large heads garlic (about 8 ounces), outer papery skins removed, cloves separated and unpeeled

2 medium shallots, peeled and quartered pole to pole

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 sprigs fresh thyme

1 sprig fresh rosemary

1 bay leaf

¾ cup dry vermouth or dry white wine

¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Dissolve ¼-cup salt in 2 quarts cold tap water in large container or bowl; submerge chicken pieces in brine and refrigerate until fully seasoned, about 30 minutes. Rinse chicken pieces under running water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. Season both sides of chicken pieces with pepper.

2. Meanwhile, toss garlic and shallots with 2 teaspoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in 9-inch pie plate; cover tightly with foil and roast until softened and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes, shaking pan once to toss contents after 15 minutes (foil can be left on during tossing). Uncover, stir, and continue to roast, uncovered, until browned and fully tender, 10 minutes longer, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.

3. Using kitchen twine, tie together thyme, rosemary, and bay; set aside. Heat remaining 1-teaspoon oil in 12-inch heavy-bottomed ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke; swirl to coat pan with oil. Brown chicken pieces skin-side down until deep golden, about 5 minutes; using tongs, turn chicken pieces and brown until golden on second side, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to large plate and discard fat; off heat, add vermouth, chicken broth, and herbs, scraping bottom of skillet with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Set skillet over medium heat, add garlic/shallot mixture to pan, then return chicken, skin-side up, to pan, nestling pieces on top of and between garlic cloves.

4. Place skillet in oven and roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast registers about 160 degrees, 10 to 12 minutes. If desired, increase heat to broil and broil to crisp skin, 3 to 5 minutes. Using potholders or oven mitts, remove skillet from oven and transfer chicken to serving dish. Remove 10 to 12 garlic cloves to mesh sieve and reserve; using slotted spoon, scatter remaining garlic cloves and shallots around chicken and discard herbs. With rubber spatula push reserved garlic cloves through sieve and into bowl; discard skins. Add garlic paste to skillet. Bring liquid to simmer over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally to incorporate garlic; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in butter; pour sauce into sauceboat and serve.

Yummy!

Posted by amck (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 9:53

We had an opportunity to take a cooking class and enjoy the meal at Stonewall Kitchen's flagship store over the holidays. The main course was Ina Garten's "Chicken with 30 Cloves of Garlic" (or was it 40 cloves...?) Anyway, it's a dish DH loved and I've been wanting to try it out, so this will be perfect. It's been tasted, but not tried, so isn't officially T&T.

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 10:37

I've made a dish that's like that, really good.

I'll watch for you to post the recipe.

Nancy

Posted by chase (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 11:40

We have the same entree every Valentine's Day, well most anyway. Luckily it fits in with our chosen ingredient. Here is my menu so far but some of the recipes posted may change my mind...I'm thinking I need to add a soup!

Caesar salad with the dressing from Cut's in Halifax. I love this dressing! Pasta Puttanesca, which is our all time favourite pasta, with fresh home made pasta and Gilroy Garlic Bread. Not sure who posted the garlic bread recipe originally, maybe Woodie?

Not sure about dessert, but it won;t be garlic! LOL

Caesar Dressing From Cut

1 Egg yolk

1 Tsp Capers

1 Tsp Parsley

4 Tsp Lemon juice

3 Anchovies

1 Tbl Parmesan cheese

1/2 TBSP Minced Garlic

20 Drops Worcestershire sauce

3 Drops Tabasco sauce

1 Tbl Dijon mustard

300 milliliters Canola oil

1 Tsp Balsamic vinegar

Enough water to thin to desired consistency

Mix all ingredients in blender (except for oil, water and balsamic), mix for 1 minute. Add the oil slowly to obtain a creamy consistency. Add the balsamic vinegar. If needed, thin with water to the desired consistency.

Place baby romaine leaves on plate, top with crispy pork belly pieces ( I use bacon but pancetta is great as well), homemade garlic and herb croutons and roasted cherry tomato halves and shaves of grana padano. Drizzle dressing over the salad.

Pasta Puttanesca

1 Lb spaghetti, linguine or other thin pasta

2 Cans best grade Italian plum tomatoes

1/4 Cup best quality olive oil

1 Tsp oregano

1/8 Tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)

1/2 Cup black olives Sliced

1/4 Cup capers drained

4 garlic cloves minced

8 anchovy fillets chopped coarsely (or less)

1/2 Cup Italian parsley chopped

Drain the tomatoes and cut in half. Combine the tomatoes and olive oil in a skillet and bring to a boil. Keep the sauce at a boil and add all remaining ingredients except pasta, stirring as you add. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce has reached a consistency you like.

Meanwhile bring 4 quarts salted water to the boil. Cook pasta until tender but still firm. Drain and toss with sauce. Serve immediately with fresh grated Parmesan.

Gilroy Garlic Bread

3/4 Cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter room temp

3/4 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)

6 Tbl mayonnaise

3 large garlic cloves minced

2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley

1/4 Tsp (generous) dried oregano crumbled

1-1 pound loaf French bread halved length

Thoroughly combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Refrigerate. Bring to room temp before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 375*. Spread garlic butter on cut side of bread, wrap each half in foil. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.) Place bread on baking sheet cut side up. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil from bread.

Preheat broiler. Broil cut side up until golden brown, about 2 minutes.

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 17:23

I love that soup too. I never thought to add pasta to it. I may have to make it that weekend just to try it with noodles. Yum!

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 19:02

All these years, the Roasted Garlic Soup that David posted here has been one of my favorites and it wasn't until I looked through this thread that I realized I must have copied the recipe down wrong because it's exactly the same but is missing the cup of white wine. Duh! I'll add it next time I make it but it's delicious without it.

I use fresh garlic often but usually in smaller quantities. I sometimes use the granulated garlic but don't have garlic salt or garlic powder in my pantry.

Here's one appetizer recipe where garlic really predominates. I make it with baby eggplants about 3" long, which they usually have at good prices at our Middle Eastern market. I took the pix for our family cookbook last time I made them but haven't measured out the ingredients yet because I thought the photos could be better.

Halve baby eggplants lengthwise and cut three crosswise slits in them, taking care not to cut through the skin. Cut fresh garlic cloves into thin slivers and stuff into the slits.

Put in flat baking dish or pan and brush tops of eggplants with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour hot water in pan to come halfway up the sides of the eggplants. Cover baking dish with tight fitting lid or foil. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until soft but not mushy.

Meanwhile, mix finely chopped and drained tomatoes, scallions and parsley and/or basil. In another bowl, mix bread crumbs with finely grated parmesan cheese, S & P, and olive oil to make crumbs.

When eggplant is cooked, pour off water and spread some of the tomato mixture on cut sides of eggplants.

Sprinkle crumbs on top of tomato mixture. Return to oven and bake about 10 minutes, or until crumbs are golden brown.

Posted by kathleen_li (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 20:00

I have to pass again...although I love garlic, I am allergic to it..violently ill if I eat it..

From the side lines with minty fresh breath..party on!

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 21:09

The version of the roasted garlic soup recipe that I have copied is also missing the wine. I'll have to try it with the wine now.

Posted by sheshebop (My Page) on Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 21:20

OMG I am drooling...that eggplant appetizer looks scrumptious. I am not sure I can get eggplant here this time of year though.

Posted by chase (My Page) on Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 16:14

Bumping to the top!!!!

Got to be lots more garlic recipes out there....

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 17:10

Where is that luscious sounding lamb recipe that uses a TON of garlic and cooks for 6 hours? That should definitely be here and probably what I will make on the 14th.

Alexa

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 19:19

Well...I will be, God willin' on a big bird heading to the land of warm!But I am no good, because every thing I make has lots and lots of garlic....except for brownies...

But....that soup...oh my!

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 19:42

CLAMS WITH WINE AND GARLIC

4 oz. Italian bread, cut into 8 slices

1 clove garlic, halved, plus 3 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbs. olive oil

3 shallots, finely chopped, or 1/3 cup chopped scallions

3/4 cup dry white wine

1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

24 littleneck clams

2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley

In a toaster oven or under the broiler, toast the bread on both sides. Rub both sides of the toast with the cut garlic.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot over medium heat. Add the shallots and minced garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.

Add the clams to the skillet, cove, and cook just until the clams open up, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the clams to 4 shallow bowls, discarding any clams that have not opened. Stir the parsley into the skillet and spoon the sauce over the clams. Place two slices of garlic toast in each bowl and serve.

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 19:51

Oh dear Linda, it's in the 20's tonight! I'll see what I can do to crank the heat up in the "land of warm" before you get here.

Ruthanna, I should have made a cooks note that the addition of white wine was mine. Funny that I don't drink a drop but don't hesitate to add liquor, wine, or beer.

I went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival many years ago; talk about fantastic! Another time I drove past Gilroy and had to roll the windows down to take in the aroma. I stopped at a road side stand and bought all kinds of garlic related items--that was when you could take things on the airplane.

Chorizo with Wine and Pimientos

===============================

1 lb Spanish Chorizo Sausage cut into 1/4 inch slices

4 Tablespoons dry red wine

2 medium pimientos cut into strips

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

3 cloves garlic minced

Place the Chorizo slices in a large skillet and sauté until lightly browned. Pour off some of the fat and deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the pimiento, parsley and garlic.

Arrange this mixture in the center of a large, wide piece of foil. Place in a baking dish of an appropriate size and tightly close the foil, leaving a large air pocket about the chorizo.

Place in a 350°F oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Present at the table in the foil, and then slit the foil to serve. This may also be made in individual portions if it is to be served as a first course.

Posted by stacy3 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 8:23

Alexa, is this it?

I had it saved but haven't made it. And unfortunately I never credited who posted it here...

Gigot de sept heures

"--yes, that's "Seven hour leg of lamb". I first ran across this in Anthony Bourdain's "Les Halles Cookbook". The first time I fixed it there were two teenagers in my house who claimed they didn't like lamb. Suffice it to say there were no leftovers. Bourdain makes the comment that when it's done, you should be able to cut it with a spoon.

Like all common recipes, there are variations: but it's basically a braise in a heavy casserole dish. I used a deep cast iron Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid, and it worked great. Season the lamb with slivers of garlic, add liquid and vegetables, cover the pot, put it in a slow oven and DON'T PEEK for seven hours. Omigod, is it good--and easy!!

This is a perfect dish for a day when you have a lot of laundry or housework to do. You gotta be in the house anyway, so may as well have a no-stress supper cooking while you're doing other work. You put it in the oven after brunch, then do whatever you need to do, and after seven hours you have some juicy and scrumptious lamb. A half hour before serving, cook up some noodles or something to catch the juices.

Here's Bourdain's version. You can also use a little more wine if you want. The garlic cooks down so itÂs not overpowering; do use at least the amount it calls for.

GIGOT DE SEPT HEURES

1 leg of lamb, about 6#

4 garlic cloves, sliced, plus 20 whole garlic cloves

1/4 cup olive oil

salt & pepper

2 small onions, thinly sliced

4 carrots, peeled

1 bouquet garni

1 cup dry white wine

1 cup flour, 1 cup water

Preheat oven to 300 F. Make many small incisions in lamb, place slivers of garlic in each incision. Rub lamb well with olive oil, season with salt & pepper. Place it in Dutch oven and add onions, carrots, bouquet garni, garlic, wine. Put lid on Dutch oven. Combine flour and water, make a 'caulk' and use it to seal the lid to the dutch oven. Place it in the 300 degree oven and cook for 7 hours. Yes, 7 hours. NO PEEKING--leave it alone.

Remove the Dutch oven and break the seal. You don't eat the cooked flour paste. (Actually, I've made this without the bother of making the paste, and it seems to work just fine.)

That's it. About a half hour to an hour of prep, then you leave it the heck alone for 7 hours. Serve it with whatever else you want, and a medium bodied red wine goes quite well with this (say, a nice Zinfandel) but a dry white (such as the remainder of the bottle you opened to get the cup of wine in the recipe) is fine as well if that's your preference. Variation: If you're trying to feed a lot of people, you can throw in some red potatoes as well to stretch this; the gentle 7 hours of moist heat cooks them wonderfully. If you google the term 'gigot de sept heures' you'll find a few variations. Bon appetit!

Re: Cookalong #2 --- GARLIC Thread #1 clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by stacy3 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 8:24

Did I miss Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken?

YUM!

Lemon Garlic Chicken - Sol

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil and/or oregano

S & P to taste

1 3½ pound fryer chicken, cut up

25 garlic cloves

¾ cup chicken broth

In a small bowl, stir to combine, the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, ¼ cup of the herbs, and salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, and pour the lemon-herb mixture over. Arrange the garlic cloves all around the chicken, stirring them to coat with the mixture. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden brown.

Remove the chicken from the oven. Add the broth to the pan and place on top of the stove over medium-high heat. Stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, while smooshing the roasted garlic to thicken the sauce slightly. I like to transfer the chicken to a platter, pour the sauce over the chicken and then, garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons herbs and lemon wedges.

I forgot to mention, that when you remove the chicken from the pan to make the sauce, let it simmer a few minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavors. Not that it lacks any, with 25 garlic cloves and fresh herbs in it. This dish is delicious and it keeps those pesky vampires at bay.

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 8:41

Maybe a little conversation about garlic....

I bought garlic heads yesterday, .39 a head here. These are the loose, bulk heads at the local grocery.

Last summer I bought fresh Italian garlic at a local farm mkt, don't remember the exact price but it was by the lb. and I bought probably 2 lbs, I think it was the best garlic I've ever tasted. It kept very well in a bowl in my kitchen. I've thought about buying more this next summer but I'm not sure how to store.

Has anyone chopped and tossed it in the freezer?

Burgers.... I like to use garlic and onions. I chop both very fine and mix into the ground beef along with S+P, at least and hour before I'm ready to cook my patties.

Any favorite recipes for garlic mashed potatoes?

Nancy

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 10:22

Well this will be easy. Just about everything I cook except for Dessert has garlic. LOL!

Ann

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 10:55

Nancy, I am grinding beef and doing make-ahead burger patties so your suggestion about the garlic is timely. Thanks.

Posted by woodie2 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 11:41

Ooooooh, garlic, bring it on, bring it on! This will be a great thread to keep - so much garlic, so little time!

Not sure if anyody would want to have this hearty soup on Valentine's Day (can you spell toot toot) but this is a good soup recipe for your files - calls for a head of roasted garlic and I used 2 small heads, we both really liked this a lot. I just posted it the other day on the Recipe Exchange, don't know who goes over there to peek or not, so I'll post it again here.

I tried a new recipe from a Sara Foster cookbook last night and it is a keeper. I wouldn't say I followed the directions precisely, LOL, but pretty much! I added a good amount of fresh chopped baby spinach stirred in at the end just before serving and it seemed to go very well in this soup and looked pretty too. This is quite a thick and hearty soup. Oh, and I didn't have the fresh basil that it called for, so just left that out. I think the roasted garlic is a great idea for soup.

PROVENCAL-STYLE BEEF AND BEAN SOUP

from The Foster's Market Cookbook

Makes 2-1/2 to 3 quarts

Serves 6 to 8

1-1/2 cups dried navy beans, picked over and rinsed

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 red onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced

2 ribs celery, sliced 1/8 inch thick

1 head garlic, roasted and peeled

2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes

6 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped

8 cups beef broth

3 bay leaves

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes

3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary

6 fresh basil leaves, cut into very thin strips (chiffonade)

1. Quick-cook the beans: Place the beans in a large pot with water to cover by 3 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 45 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain, rinse, and set aside.

2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the onions and cook and stir 15 minutes or until light brown. Add the celery and cook and stir 10 minutes longer.

3. Add the garlic and the beef and cook and stir until the beef is brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, salt, pepper and beans and simmer 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours, uncovered, until the beans are soft and the beef is fork-tender.

4. Add the sun dried tomatoes and rosemary and simmer about 10 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaves. Add the fresh basil and serve immediately.

(Woodie's notes: I omitted the salt and used an entire pound of beans and so I added about 1-1/2 cups of water and I chopped the sun dried tomatoes.)

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 13:06

Lately I've been grating my garlic cloves on a microplane rather than mincing/chopping with a knife. When I chop garlic with a knife I tend to end up with more sticking to my fingers than goes in the dish. I grate from the top of the clove down to the root end, usually directly over the skillet or soup pot. I don't usually measure garlic by the teaspoon or tablespoon.

Teresa

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 13:12

Some great sounding recipes. I am thinking that I am going to do an appetizer type dinner with garlic involved in each dish. We also use garlic in almost everything - we love it that much!

Since I ended up not being able to participate in making Ann's appetizers back a few months back, I'm thinking about making her Spanish Tapa - Garlic Shrimp recipe and her Chicken Wings recipe. I'm also thinking about making the soup again. We have had it before and really do like it. Having a nice loaf of crusty bread for dipping in the shrimp mix and adding a salad with a Roasted Garlic type dressing. Also if I make the chicken wings, I will make up some Penzey's Buttermilk dip for the wings and celery sticks.

Garlic Crabs are sounding good to me too.

Dessert will contain no garlic!

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 13:23

Woodie, I have that cookbook and really have enjoyed it. The soup sounds wonderful. Hope I can remember to make it. I just made beef stew this week, we ate on it for 3 days. first as stew then I turned it into beef pie. Every bit got eaten, which is pretty unusal around here.

Ann, I know what you mean about using garlic all the time.

Teresa, what did we ever do before microplanes??

Cathy, enjoy the burgers, I love 'em that way.

Nancy

Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 21:16

Nothing wrong with adding some wine to a recipe but you did make go back and check my source...LOL! Love that soup and thanks to Sherry I do add some pasta to it to make it a meal from time to time.

Here is one of my favorites from AnnT. I like it as is with a good hunk of bread or I'll top some pasta with it and call it dinner.

Spanish Tapa - Garlic Shrimp - AnnT

6 Tablespoons olive oil

4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 pound medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tablespoons of chicken broth

2 tablespoons lemon juice

salt

2 Tablespoons minced parsley

Italian or French Bread cut into cubes

Heat the oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in a large, shallow pan.

When the garlic just begins to turn golden, add the shrimp and cook

over high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth

and lemon juice.

If serving in the living room, pour into a large earthenware bowl and

sprinkle with salt and parsley. Serve immediately.

Goes great with a nice dry white wine, dry sherry, or Martini

Note: Use more chicken broth and lemon juice if you like more sauce

to dip the bread into.

I always double the sauce being a sauce/gravy lover...soaking it up with some good bread.

David

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 10:15

I have been using the coarse microplane for garlic for awhile now but last week I picked up the ribbon microplane. Big difference! I love the new microplane.

OK, confession time. I don't like seafood so I don't actually buy and cook seafood. Every time we go out to eat my sweetie orders seafood since he never gets it at home. Since this dinner is on valentines I think he should get a treat. Can someone give me a shrimp recipe that would go with garlic pasta? Shrimp 101 would probably help too. I was even thinking of pulling out the fryer and trying fried shrimp.

I guess I need a valentine shrimp treat idea.

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 12:24

Here's a shrimp and garlic pasta recipe I like to make because it lets the flavors of the ingredients come through.

FUSILLI WITH SHRIMP AND ROASTED VEGETABLES Â 4 servings

12 plum tomatoes, cores and quartered lengthwise

2 Tbsp. olive oil

freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 small head garlic

1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths

1 lb, large shrimp, peeled and deveined

3/ 4 lb. corkscrew pasta, such as fusilli or rotini

2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried

1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried

Set rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large roasting pan, toss the tomatoes with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and a generous grinding of pepper. Slice the top 1/ 2 inch off the garlic head and discard; pull off any loose papery skin. Wrap the garlic in tin foil and add to the roasting pan.

Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, without stirring, or until the tomatoes are wrinkled and just begin to brown. Scatter the asparagus and shrimp over the tomatoes and roast for 10 minutes more, or until the shrimp are curled and the asparagus is tender. Remove the garlic from the pan, unwrap, and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven and cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, cook pasta. While the pasta is cooking, separate the garlic cloves and squeeze out soft pulp. Mash to a paste.

Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil, mashed garlic, lemon juice, herbs and salt & pepper, tossing to evenly coat the pasta with the seasonings. Transfer the pasta to the roasting pan and toss gently to combine, making sure to scrape up any bits that have stuck to the pan.

Notes: You may want to use a smaller amount of herbs the first time you make this. I have used rosemary and basil, and oregano and thyme combinations too. A handful of quartered crimini mushrooms tossed with a little olive oil and added to the roasting pan about 5 minutes before the shrimp are a nice addition.

Posted by twoyur (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 13:13

Fairly new here but thought i'd toss this in

I have an Emile Henry piece they call a claypot that i use to cook this in

Sizzling Garlic Shrimp (Gambas al Ajillo)

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons olive oil

1 lb small to medium peeled raw shrimp

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Crushed chilies, or finely diced dried, or fresh red chilies, as preferred

Salt

Preparation:

Heat the oil in a flameproof dish over a medium-high heat (or in the oven at 350 degrees). As soon as the oil starts to simmer, throw in the shrimp, garlic, and chilies. Fry vigorously for a few minutes, then add salt and serve, still sizzling, in the dish (the shrimp will carry on cooking as you take them to the table).

Think the recipe came with the pot but would not swear to it

Friends like it because it cooks fast small batches and this makes it easy to adjust the heat from chilies almost to order

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 16:03

David I guess you and I are thinking about the same:). Look up above your post.

I'm looking forward to making this.

Posted by joanm (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 16:37

I just picked up Ina's new book called Back to Basics. This shrimp scampi recipe caught my eye because it can be made ahead of time and just popped into the oven. I might try it since it will give me plenty of time to learn how to deal with the shrimp without holding up dinner.

Baked Shrimp Scampi

Ina Garten

Serves 6

2 pounds (12 to 15 per pound) shrimp in the shell

3 tablespoons good olive oil

2 tablespoons dry white wine

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)

1/4 cup minced shallots

3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 extra-large egg yolk

2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)

Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.

In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until combined.

Starting from the outer edge of a 14-inch oval gratin dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and towards the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.

RE: Cookalong #2 --- GARLIC Thread #1.1 clip this post email this post what is this?

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 16:41

Joan I have already made that recipe of Ina's and so did my Mom. We all enjoyed it. I didn't make it ahead of time though.

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 19:31

I don't remember who asked, but garlic mashed potatoes?

Peel potatoes, peel garlic...as much of each as you think you would like. Cut potatoes into chunks, leave garlic whole, cover with water and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain, and mash all together using butter, sour cream ,butter milk or chicken broth as you would usually do.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I am still dealing with the cruddy sinus problems....feel like I have my head in a barrel of water....Today started taking Levaquin at $13 a pill....wondering if a garlic sandwich might have cured me at a much lesser price....

Linda C

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 10:35

I watched the ginger thread with interest, but didn't play since I had a horrible cold. Feeling better now, and have been also drooling over these recipes :-)

Here's an easy scampi with lots of garlic - we had it for dinner last night with some warm sourdough, baked potatoes and asparagus. We're planning a meal out on Valentine's Day, so I guess this is an early offering.

Not for those who might still be watching their calories due to New Year's resolutions... LOL.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp Scampi Bake

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 cup butter

2 tablespoons prepared Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

2 pounds medium raw shrimp -- shelled, deveined with tails attached

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, and parsley. When the butter melts completely, remove from heat.

3. Arrange shrimp in a shallow baking dish. Pour the butter mixture over the shrimp.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and opaque.

www.allrecipes.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 12:28

My sister makes very good roasted garlic mashed potatoes that I love. I'll have to get the recipe from her, but I assume it's pretty simple. I figure she just roasts the garlic, cooks the potatoes and mashes the garlic into the potatoes as she mashes them. One thing she does with mashed potatoes, which can be risky, is to beat them with a hand beater. The one time I tried that they turned into glue.

I use garlic in lots of things, but have been cutting back since it's actually not one of my DH's favorite ingredients. He likes it okay, but doesn't think it has to be in everything. I can't imagine why not, but that's the way he is. I love garlic with Swiss Chard or spinach, but alas, he finally let me know he hates it like that. So, no more of that.

Speaking of garlicky greens, I've posted a polenta recipe before with garlicky greens. I won't write out the whole recipe again, unless requested, but will summarize it here. Cook the polenta according to directions on the package, or according to the way you're used to cooking it. While the polenta is cooking, saute 2 thinly sliced onions in about 1/4 cup olive oil until translucent. Add 6 slivered garlic cloves, and cook for a couple more minutes. Add 1 1/2 pounds each Swiss Chard and Spinach, (or whatever greens you like) and saute until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When the polenta is done, add some butter, salt and pepper to taste, and divide into individual large bowls. Top with the greens. If you like polenta and greens, you'll like this recipe. It's from the Complete Italian Vegetarian by Jack Bishop. Even though I've posted this recipe, I don't expect to make it, since DH doesn't like garlicky greens (he tells me this after I've made this recipe 2 or 3 times. Aargh!) I'm probably going to have fun with one of the recipes y'all have posted, and/or explore my cookbooks to see what else is out there to try.

Sally

Posted by woodie2 (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 22:18

I hope I won't be excommunicated because I made something earlier than I was supposed to!

Yum, Becky, thank you for the new scampi recipe - it is delicious! We had it tonight - simple and good - what more could one ask for? The mustard really adds an extra 'somet

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia