Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your UNIQUE Breakfast Ideas

Posted by leaveswave (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 8:31

I'm bored with eggs, breakfast meat, oatmeal, muffins, cold pizza, etc. Help me think outside the box.

Non-traditional (for mainstream America) foods
Healthy/balanced
Tasty
Quick and easy to make, or freezable

Good luck! I'm sure there's lots of neat ideas out there; bring 'em on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your UNIQUE Breakfast Ideas

I like breakfast casseroles that I make with no bread and no potatoes, frittatas, and quiche. You may like breakfast sandwiches or burritos. On days when I need something quick I fix whole grain toast spread with ricotta cheese or yogurt cheese (FAGE) and drizzled with honey or topped with some jam.

Sometimes I make Nasi Goreng, an Indonesian fried rice, which I enjoyed each morning in Malaysia years ago.

The link below has tons of breakfast recipes that may help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Breakfast

o

Here's a recipe for a risotto that was in this month's issue of Bon Apetit. I think if I was going to make it I might use breakfast sausage rather than hot Italian though!

Breakfast Risotto
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided
4 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 small bay leaves
1 cup Arborio rice or medium grain white rice
cup dry white wine
3 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
Pinch of saffron threads
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add sausages; break up with a fork. Add next 2 ingredients. Saute until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in rice. Add wine; boil until liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Add 3 cups broth and saffron; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer. Stirring occasionally until risotto is tender, adding more broth if dry, about 18 minutes. Discard bay leaves; mix in 1/3 cup cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Pass cheese alongside.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Well...I don't suppose a bagel with cream cheese and hot pepper jelly is unique enough....but that's a favorite.

o

I make this often...

Bircher Muesli (Jeri)
2 cups yogurt (I use a non-fat Greek style from Trader Joes).
2 cups rolled oats (I use a Multi-Grain from Trader Joes)
1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk non fat. (You can use regular milk)
2 tbls real Maple Syrup (you can use honey or sugar)
2 apples grated or chopped fine (I use the food processor)
2 bananas sliced
1-2 small cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 palm full of slivered almonds
Blueberries fresh if you can get them, but frozen works well too.
Combine everything together and leave overnight.
You can alter this recipe to suit your tastes. I think you really need all of the ingredients through the bananas, but after that, you can add what ever you like. I use fresh strawberries when in season. And, dried fruit would work great too. I sometimes add dried cranberries.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I get bored also with breakfast fare. How about a nice French toast that you make the night before. I made this Ham and Tomato Pie for the 4th of JUly and it was a big hit:
Ham and Tomato Pie
Ingredients
1 (8-oz.) package diced cooked ham
1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4 onions)
1 (9-inch) frozen unbaked pie shell
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 large egg
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Garnishes: fresh basil sprigs, tomato slices
Preparation
1. Saut ham and green onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until ham is brown and any liquid evaporates.
2. Brush bottom of pie shell evenly with mustard; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Spoon ham mixture evenly over cheese, and top with single layer of sliced tomatoes.
3. Beat egg and half-and-half with a fork until blended; pour over tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with basil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
4. Bake on lowest oven rack at 425 for 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve; garnish, if desired.
Yield
Makes 4 to 6 servings
I also had a friend growing up her mom made her rice pudding and served it warm for breakfast. Very delicious and good for you as well.

o

How about smoothies? There are a million recipes out there. I always add some kind of protein powder.

AM
The Dinner Chronicles

o

My DS was so proud of himself when he surprised DH & I with a grandly presented tray of breakfast in bed when he was only 8. We took one look & thought "Ugh" but, of course, acted delighted. After the first bite we weren't acting. It WAS good. 20+ years later we still enjoy it!

Plain Rice Cakes smothered in Peanut Butter, topped w/Apple & raisins or Pinapple Slices. (Apple & Pineapple not on same rice cakes)
Suzi

o

I also like fried rice for breakfast. I generally add mushrooms and onion to it (sometimes green onion at the end). I make it in the wok, and when the rice is almost completely hot, I make a well and scramble a couple of eggs inside and then mix it all together. Sometimes I add sausage to it as well. This stays hot well with the lid to the wok. If the rice is not salty, I add soy sauce to the eggs before I scramble them, and often a bit of hot sauce, unless I fry jalapeos with the rice.

If I have bean dip on hand, I either make migas or a breakfast burrito, which includes scrambled egg, beans, rice, and salsa, wrapped in a tortilla. Breakfast burritos can be made ahead of time and frozen. Here's my recipe for bean dip.

Lars

o

Do I confess to this? I went to my Mom's on friday and stayed overnight, so DH was on his own for meals. He bought a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. This morning I made a chicken sandwich with leftover chicken and some spinach leaves we had in the frig. How's that for "outside the box." I don't mind eating leftovers for breakfast, but DH wants "typical" breakfast food.

I eat granola bars a lot for breakfast during the work week. Easy and I can eat them while I'm driving.

o

Anything that's high in protein is a good idea for breakfast. I actually think we should have heartier breakfasts and simpler dinners. Steak and eggs in the AM; yogurt and fruit in the evening. Ok, so steak and eggs is too high in calories, cholesterol, fat and all that's bad for us, but its delish! And you won't be hungry as soon as you leave the table!

Just kidding! No steak and eggs! but check out the thread on Shakshouka from about a month ago.

o

Well, my Grandfather lived to be nearly 100 and outlived 5 wives, and he had pie for breakfast every day for as long as I remember. He said it was no different than having toast and jelly and when I think about it, he's right. He also liked fried fish for breakfast and said that if other people eat steak or ham, why not fish? He was right again, of course.

Ashley never liked traditional breakfast foods. Her favorite breakfast was a grilled cheese sandwich, sometimes I added ham. Yeah, so, it's like ham, toast, and a piece of cheese! She also liked leftover soups and now one of her favorite breakfasts is SharonCB's Salmon Quiche.

SALMON QUICHE WITH WALNUT CRUMB CRUST

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Pastry:

Easy - doesn't require rolling, just press down with fingers and back of a spoon into a 24 cm (9.5 inch) pyrex flan dish or pie plate.

1 - 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup walnuts finely chopped

Mix these ingredients in a bowl, cutting in butter with two knives until crumbly then press into a pie dish, including up the sides. Bake in pre-heated oven for five minutes. Then remove from oven.
Meanwhile mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

Filling:
3 eggs beat till frothy
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can salmon (7 3/4 ounces) - I prefer fresh piece salmon that has been baked - 'smoked salmon' is really good too.
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Pour these ingredients into the pie crust - bake in oven approximately 45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.

The top is usually a nice golden brown colour. If you don't have salmon on hand, tinned tuna works well too in this recipe.

This is really, really good, and the boss and I ate the leftovers rewarmed in the microwave. Ashley eats it as fast as I can make it and she "doesn't like" fish. LOL Sure she doesn't.....

Annie

o

Grilled peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Frozen butter tarts or cheesecake.

Fried macaroni and cheese (from leftovers).

Baked potatoes with shredded cheese and bacon, can also add scrambled eggs.

o

Mango smoothies and mocha smoothies are my favorites.

o

I was following a careful daily eating plan a while ago and sat outside on the patio every morning in the sunshine, with my tray of healthy breakfast combos. Now most days I have smaller versions while sitting at my computer. I think a breakfast can be made more appetizing just by preparing and combining a few items in an attractive way with a pretty napkin when you have the time to do so and sit down and eat slowly......not always possible I know, but it makes the food seem more interesting and you feel pampered, even though you prepared it yourself.

My combos included: Weetabix, All-bran, Muesli, porridge, fresh fruit, applesauce, multigrain bread, butter, Manchego cheese, zero fat/sugar fruit yoghurt, juice, black coffee, glass of 2% milk, white bread roll, soft boiled or coddled egg, whole grain croissant, chopped dried apricot (to top fruit & yoghurt combos.) Clickable thumb pics:

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

SharonCb

o

I prefer leftover dinner's for breakfast. And breakfast for dinner.

I wish I could have fruit bowls like SharonCB's every day!!!!! WOW to live in a such a wonderful tropically place and have those wonderful fruits available more than a few months a year!

o

Annie, your story about your Grandfather reminded me of a man my co-worker told me about. My friend has property in Arkansas, and they spend as much time as possible up there in their trailer. Their next door neighbor is 103 years old, and he has fried squirrel with dumplings nearly every morning for breakfast. She told me this family has always only eaten what they hunted, gathered or grew, even starting before that was trendy. They've never had anything from a can.

Squirrel would not be on my breakfast menu, but an easy, fairly quick breakfast is to spread peanut butter on some slices of lightly toasted bread, place orange or apple wedges on top, and sprinkle with toasted wheat germ and cinnamon. Place under the broiler just long enough to heat it up. Watch out, though. Hot peanut butter can cause some bad burns, so be sure to let it cool a bit before eating. It's a very good breakfast on a cold morning.

Sally

o

The best breakfast ever..... Pizza!

o

I had pizza for breakfast just today!

A hamburger with an egg fried over easy on top... don't knock it till you try it... super yum!

Not working?... try dark chocolate, smoked chedder cheese, and a glass of claret. Eat 'till noon then take a nap. Perfect weekend food.

Pabst Blue Ribbon ain't unique but it is a decent weekend starter.

My grandfather, a farmer, often had a glass of OJ mixed about half with vodka at his usual 5am breakfast. Not another drink until after noon. He made 93 years before he had his last breakfast.

Tree rats ain't bad... prefer mine with saurkraut.

: )
michael

o

When you mentioned healthy and balanced, that eliminated a lot of favorites. Leaves me with plain yogurt with a scoop of whey protein and a scoop of frozen berries or other fruit, maybe add whole wheat toast or crackers. Keeps me going for several hours or a juice smoothy with whey protein.

o

Peanut butter and banana on whole wheat toast or pita bread - nirvana!!! I also like lowfat ricotta cheese sprinkled with a little cinnamon and sugar, and broiled in the toaster oven on a piece of bread. I need protein for breakfast, or I'm a snarling maniac by 10:00 A.M.:-) If I have time, I make an egg white omelet with all sorts of veggies and lowfat cheese, then roll it up in a whole wheat tortilla and top it with salsa. I agree with Mimsic, that breakfast should ideally be more substantial than dinner. It doesn't always happen that way since we are more apt to go out for dinner than breakfast, but I know I feel better and burn more calories when I eat most of those calories earlier in the day.
DONNA

o

Sharon,
OMG! I could serve sh*t on a shingle and if it was displayed like your breakies with that gorgeous setting and those lovely dishes and the artsy styling of the food, it would be palatable. Dang. I wanna live there.

o

Breakfast is tough for me because I can't even stand to think about food when I first wake up but give me an hour and I'm ravenous.

Here's a fun way to do oatmeal- makes it like blueberry pie filling. I take some frozen, unsweetened blueberries & cook them in a saucepan with some water until they burst, then stir in the oatmeal & cook until the correct gloopiness. You can add sugar but the berries are sweet enough for me.

Another thing that I've been doing lately is making my own bootleg versions of the Panera Bread egg "souffles". I take packaged crescent rolls & drape squares (2 dough triangles) over muffin tins or ramekins. Make a filling out of feggs (eggbeaters), grated parm & chopped spinach. Drop a glop of filling onto each square, top with a piece of cooked bacon & fold up the corners of the dough around the filling. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. These don't taste as rich as the Panera version but the hit the same notes and are portable, filling & enjoyable. I can make breakfast for the week & after a few seconds in the microwave be eating at my desk.

I'm also a big fan of dinner for breakfast & breakfast for dinner.

Nina

o

This is something I make almost every Sunday:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.

1--package turkey Italian sausage (usually 5 to a package), removed from casings if in links
1--red or yellow bell pepper, diced
1--onion, diced
3-4 sprigs thyme
rough chopped mushrooms, to taste
3-4 stalks celery, diced
A swirl or two of the pan olive oil

Brown the above, crumbling the turkey, until it is done and vegetables are soft. Remove the thyme and run stems between finger and thumb, to remove the small leaves. Discard stems. I usually cook this over medium to medium high heat.

Just before you lose all the liguid add 4-5 cloves garlic, minced (or to taste) and cook until soft.

Deglaze pan with 1 cup white wine and stir in 2 tablespoons flour. Cook for a few minutes to flavor the flour, stirring often.

Add:
1/4 cup bleu cheese, crumbled
1 can black beans, partially drained and "smooshed" slightly
1 cup (give or take) heavy cream

Add more cream to get it to the consistency you like.

Stir until well blended and heat thru.

Pour into casserole dish and grate some parmigiano reggiano over the top. Bake for 20-30 minutes until bubbly, covered. Remove from oven, make very slight indentations on top of the casserole and crack eggs into them. Return to oven and bake until eggs are at desired doneness.

I also add the following spices blindly: freshly ground black pepper, cumin, celery seed and any other spices that sound good at the time.

I usually don't salt, as the cheeses usually have enough salt in them to compensate.

Please keep in mind, that I don't measure anything for this recipe...I just wing it every time. The amount of eggs, depends on how many people you are serving. It is great warmed up and DH likes to have it for lunch or for a snack, as a burrito.

o

Ooops...I forgot to add:

1 package mini tater tots, thawed in the microwave

Pour the above mixute on top of the tater tots before baking. Sorry!

You can also used fresh or frozen (thawed) hash browns.

o

I know that hot grain cereals are not unique, but I prefer either rice or polenta. Okay, corn mush is fairly popular, but brown rice pudding or white basmati rice pudding, for breakfast? I love it...a little silk (or milk), a little honey, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla and sometimes nuts and raisins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here