SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Are you making anything "new" for Thanksgiving?

caliloo
11 years ago

I am hosting a small group (about 16) for Thanksgiving and am planning the menu. It will be mostly the standards that are served every year, but I am trying to decide on a few new things for this year. I am open to suggestion for any course - Appies thru dessert!

What has caught your eye? Do you stray from the T&T?

My menu of old stand-by items so far is:

Appetizers:

Pig Candy

Baked Stuffed Clams

Cheese Crackers

Olives

Veggies & Dip

Main:

Turkey

Stuffing (plain herbed bread)

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta and Maple

Green Bean Casserole (the only time I make it, it is a "must")

Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Topping

New England Biscuits with Cranberries and Rosemary

Cranberry Jezebel Sauce

Dessert:

Pumpkin Pie

Pecan Pie

Apple Pie

Vanilla Ice Cream

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Thanks

Alexa

Comments (47)

• Tracey_OH
    11 years ago

Alexa, your menu looks perfect! I would eat everything you are serving! I'm also looking for something new this year. Something green and a buttery dinner roll. I usually make plain green beans but I may branch out this year if something catches my eye. It's just us four and my parents this year and they will eat anything.

Our menu is

Turkey and dressing
    Sweet Potato Souffle
    Mashed potatoes
    Corn Pudding
    Dinner Rolls
    Homemade applesauce
    Green beans
    Cranberry Relish

Dessert

Apple Pie
    Pumpkin Roll
    Homemade vanilla ice cream

• lindac
    11 years ago

Alexa....scalloped oysters?

• Related Discussions

New plan- Anything you would change?

Q

Comments (20)
    This is what someone did with the plan so it's more of a hutch than a desk. I like that, but another option might be to put built in seating instead. Decisions decisions! Either one would work I suppose. Switching the fridge and pantry sounds good so we would still have a break in cabinets. But then, would you make that whole entire area (where the ovens/fridge currently are) into one big pantry? That would be a good sized pantry but then we've removed a good chunk of counter space. Hmm.. As far as the bump outs in the plan, which ones would you adjust and how? I do want to save money but at the same time, I'm not sure it would look right completely flat all the way around... [[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/classical-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~1354881) [Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Flemington Architect Pickell Architecture
    ...See More

What Is Not Going To Kill You To Make For Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (63)
    I love green bean casserole, but I make it with fresh green beans plus a mushroom veloute sauce, and that's it. I only blanch the green beans, add the sauce and bake for no more than 15 minutes, so that the beans will still be crisp. I do hate canned green beans, as they are NOT crisp, and have a can flavor, unless they have been canned at home. My father preferred canned green beans and canned peas, but I cannot stomach either of those. They always had a tinny flavor and were too mushy. I will not go near the sweet potato thing with marshmallows. I don't really like sweet potatoes except in tempura. In fact, I prefer green beans in tempura also, and so maybe I will make a Japanese style Thanksgiving dinner with sashimi instead of turkey, or maybe shrimp tempura. I could possibly make chicken tempura, but I'm not sure how it would hold together. I like broccoli tempura also. For dessert, I will probably make French vanilla ice cream with bits of leftover Halloween candy sprinkled in.
    ...See More

Did You Make Turkey Soup after Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (19)
    The Fall season is stocklandia in our home. Starting in Sept. and cooler weather I have stocks near once a week on the back right burner...roasted bones, veg, fish, chicken, and of course turkey the night of Thanksgiving. We go through it quickly making soups and chowders 2-3 times a week all winter. Turkey stock is pretty special. Nothing compares, and being just once/twice a year, we look forward to such a rich savory broth. And the soup it makes the next day for a lighter meal. ...after potato cakes, breakfast stuffing/roasted veg hash, brunch turkey sandwiches... Leftover turkey and the picked carcas meat goes into a glass pyrex then into the fridge. Carcas bones, quick rough chopped onion, celery, parsley, carrot, leek tops, bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme bunch/full stems, into stockpot to just barely cover and to a boil, then down to a simmer. 3 hour minimum, 4 hours good. No timer set. I refuse to be a slave to any stock. Has to fit my schedule. --(Fish stock minimum 1 hour, 2 is fine. Chicken 2-3 hours, 4 is fine. Veg 1-2 hours. Roasted bone broth ?, 4 minimum, 6-8 is great.) Lid off, rest a bit, ladle off and garbage larger mass, strain stock through big mesh thing, cool as quick as possible over an ice bath and some ice into the broth. (so rich, that is a minor dilute). Into the fridge. Soak overnight a bag of white beans. I always have a massive amount of leftover fresh veg and root veg from all my sides. Mirepoix, minced celery, shallot, garlic, till translucent, diced veg and root veg till med-soft/firm, add stock to cover for 1/2 hour. Chiffonade greens,... kale, collards, escarole. Into 3 one quart cups, I add a fistful greens, some cold turkey meat, cold cooked white beans, ladle of simmering broth and veg, cold stock to cover...into fridge to chill, then into the freezer. Really nice thick jellied stock this year. Minimal fat layer. What's left on the stove is soup for two-four...add some white beans, greens till tender. What is left of the pure cold stock goes into pint containers and into the freezer...this year I had six. Unused cold white beans I made a pesto and kale salad for next day lunch. We like brothy soups. Just a preference. Some times chowders I stick-blend a bit to add some thickness before adding seafood,...never flour-thick. Still quite thin.
    ...See More

Have you discovered anything new in your neighborhood?

Q

Comments (42)
    I live in NYC and had been staying in my apartment up until a few days ago when I finally ventured out to get some fresh air and walk through a park near my apt. I was surprised to see many people without masks. Even tonight, after Cuomo said people must wear masks if they can't socially distance themselves, I saw people without masks. There is no way to socially distance yourself in the city. I'm wearing a mask but my glasses fog up. IDK how to solve that problem. But to answer the question, I was going out onto my fire escape for fresh air before this and there are many more birds in the area behind my building. I was thrilled to see cardinals, bluejays and robins. Before I lived in the city I was a backyard birdwatcher, so this made me very happy. They are probably always there, but with the new silence in the city they are more noticeable, you can hear them singing. I had a sparrow peeking in my window checking out my parakeet the other day, so funny! More creatures are comfortable coming out in the city with less people around. This is Riverside Park. Before this, the raccoons would just peek their heads out of those stones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLitqe60Jw
    ...See More
  • booberry85
    11 years ago

Both of those menus sound perfect to me. I am have 3-4 guests for Thanksgiving so there will be 5-6 of us. I might invite another couple to join us, so that would make 8. Here's the catch, 2 of them are vegan!!! So here is the tentative menu. * are vegan friendly.

Appetizers (not fully planned out yet)

*Hummus with raw veggies & pita chips
    *Spring rolls and dipping sauces
    Baked brie in puff pastry with walnuts & brown sugar

Main Dinner:

Roasted turkey
    Sausage & bread stuffing
    *Apple and walnut stuffed acorn squash or butternut squash ravioli
    Mashed potatoes (non-vegan)
    *Mashed potatoes
    Gravy (non-vegan)
    *Mushroom gravy
    *Cranberry sauce with apples & oranges
    * Roasted Brussels sprouts with cranberries & balsamic reduction
    * Green bean almandine
    *Roasted winter vegetables (butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots & parsnips)
    * fruit salad with a ginger sauce
    Homemade bread

Dessert:

Gingerbread cookies
    *Dark chocolate mousse with pomegranate
    *Pumpkin cupcakes with "cream cheese" frosting
    *Ginger palmiers

Apple cider to drink. The vegans do not drink anything with alcohol or caffeine.

It's ambitious and enough food probably to feed 20 as opposed to 6-8 people! At least Dh and I will be fat & happy for a while!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Our menu is not as extensive, but includes all the favorites:

wine or apple cider

roasted turkey
    mom's dressing and giblet gravy
    cranberry sauce two ways
    sweet potato souffle or candied yams
    green beans
    spinach salad
    gratin of winter squash topped with the apple-pecan stuffing (if our vegetarians are with us)
    homemade quick butter croissants

lemon chess pie
    gingerbread with lemon sauce

iced tea and water

We don't do mashed potatoes with our holiday turkey dinner, more room for Mom's dressing and gravy we all love!

Teresa

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

Teresa, when my grandmother made Thanksgiving dinner she never served mashed potatoes or bread for the same reason. More room for stuffing and gravy.

I'm still figuring out the menu...

Eileen

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I am adding an orzo salad this year. Here is my menu...

Turkey
    Ham
    Oyster dressing
    Regular dressing
    Orzo salad
    Broccoli casserole
    Sweet Potato casserole
    Green Bean casserole
    Corn
    Mashed Potatoes
    Fruit skewers
    Cranberry sauce
    Pies
    Apple cake

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I want to try the split turkey technique a la tyler florence...has anyone ever tried it?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I am making these for one of the appetizers. I hope they are as good as they sound.

MARINATED OLIVES
    These are so tasty and get better with time. Store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
    Meg, NY 11-21-2002

1 orange
    1/2 lemon
    1 can black olives, drained
    1 clove garlic
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    Dash of cayenne pepper

Cut orange in half. Dice up one half into large chunks and squeeze the juice of the other half into a bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon into the same bowl. Discard squeezed orange and lemon halves and place diced orange in bowl of juice. Add rest of ingredients to this mixture and keep in refrigerator at least 24 hours. When you serve let come to room temperature.

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Your menus look great!

Lat year I used this recipe recommended here on this forum and will repeat because it was so good!

You could make the herb butter ahead of time refrigerate and then just cook the green beans the day of and toss with the prepared butter.

Also - I don't think I had tarragon so I skipped it.

Haricots Verts(small string beans) with Herb Butter
    Gourmet : November 2007
    Melissa Roberts
    ake it again
    total time: 30 min
    By mixing butter, shallots, fresh herbs, and lemon juice together right in the serving bowl, you get an instant dressing on contact with hot haricots...
    iIngredients
    � 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    � 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    � 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    � 2 teaspoons finely chopped tarragon
    � 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
    � 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    � 2 lb haricots verts or other green beans, trimmed
    preparation
    Stir together all ingredients except haricots verts with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl until combined well.
    Cook beans in a large pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 6 quarts water), uncovered, until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes, then drain. Toss with herb butter.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh "I want to try the split turkey technique a la tyler florence...has anyone ever tried it? "

Yes I have. It is a better way to make a turkey without overcooking part of the turkey.

I am thinking of making a goose this year.

dcarch

• cynic
    11 years ago

By "split turkey" do you mean butterflied, where it's cut open and cooked "flat"? I've done that with a turkey breast and it was fantastic. I watched Andrew Zimmern do it back when he was doing local television. I've never done it where you cook it on the rack over the stuffing though. That sounds good to me.

Problem is, it's hard for me to not use ol' Nesc for turkey. Easy to do, consistent results, easy cleanup. But a butterflied bird was good.

The other thing I'd probably do if I made a whole turkey would be cooking it in parts like they did on America's Test Kitchen. Again, more even cooking, less room required. Less hassle.

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

Booberry, how do you make ravioli without eggs? It would be great to have an egg-free option.

• katefisher
    11 years ago

My step son is getting together with friends for the holiday and they are making fried oyster poor boy sandwiches. Can't wait to hear the reviews:)

Kate

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Islay, I plan on following the recipe posted below for the ravioli. In the recipes I've looked at, they either substitute olive oil or canola oil for the egg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegan Butternut Squash Ravioli

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Yes, I am making something new! I just tried a chocolate pudding recipe which is basically bittersweet chocolate, silken tofu, a little honey and a touch of kahlua. DH was sceptical, but it's amazingly good! No-one would ever think it had NO cream, eggs or other dairy.

Basic recipe:
    1 lb silken (or soft) tofu
    13 oz bittersweet chocolate
    1 Tbs honey
    1/4 cup Kahlua

Melt chocolate over double boiler with Kahlua and honey. Puree tofu in blender. Add chocolate mix. That's it.

The pudding had lumpy bits because the blender doesn't circulate the mix well. I refrigerated it to see how it sets up. From the fridge I find it too firm. I'm going to add more tofu and puree it in the food processor. It's better at room temperature or slightly warm IMO.

Try it, you'll be amazed at how good it is.

Rest of the menu is pretty traditional:
    roast turkey
    fiery sweet potatoes (SP with Thai curry and coconut milk)
    turkey gravy
    bread stuffing
    cranberry relish (cranberries, whole oranges, sugar, everything minced, nothing cooked - just wonderful!)
    cranberry sauce for the traditionalists
    baby green peas in butter
    roasted butternut squash
    cranberry nut dinner rolls
    Shartlesville pumpkin pie (with whiskey!)
    apple pie
    chocolate pudding

No mashed potatoes, thank goodness. I may make miso-marinated black cod for 2 vegetarians, but one of them sent strict instructions not to make anything specially for her so we're in negotiations.

Cheryl

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Did anyone watch Iron Chef last night? They had individual servings of dressing "dumplings", made rather like Ann T makes her dressing (somewhat poached, right?). I thought that was totally cool. Along with the pumpkin souffle. They were supposed to be using up leftovers, but the judges remarked how the souffle should've made it to the first round of Thanksgiving. Both looked good. Am I doing anything new? Nope. I'll be lucky to make it through the typical Thanksgiving. We're highly disorganized and not really ready for other extenuating circumstances.

Hope everyone has a great holiday!

• Bizzo
    11 years ago

This year it is just the two of us. We're going to have clay pot chicken with stuffing.

I'll do mashed potatoes and am working on the rest of the menu...

items I am considering, (but certainly not all)

• sauteed green beans with bacon

• roasted asparagus and pancetta

• large slices of squash served as a "boat" with fresh cranberries and drizzle of maple roasted together

• homemade apple sauce (DH is allergic to cinnamon)

• rolls and butter

• mixed salad with gorgonzola

DH is in charge of the dessert. He got the Cooking with Chocolate: Essential Recipes and Techniques book put out by Valhrona recommended by a friend at Epicurious, and he's tried a couple things in it. Time to try some more!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking with Chocolate: Essential Recipes and Techniques

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

Yes, something " new" for the very first time in my 34 year marriage...reservations for Thanksgiving dinner out...at the assisted care facility where my 95-year-old FIL lives.

Last year we cooked at our place and he came for a brief time, but he no longer wants to leave the facility (only 20 minutes away). So DH, SIL, BIL, and I will eat with him there. Fortunately, they do offer alcoholic beverages on these occasions....

seagrass

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Seagrass, I'm still trying to convince my family to allow me to put oysters in the stuffing like yours, but I dunno...

They serve alcohol at the assisted living facilities?

Annie

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

Annie,

This place has a bar in the first floor common living area that opens for the residents on Fridays before dinner, and on family dining events that they hold throughout the year. The level of care my FIL receives puts most responsibility on himself regarding food/beverage intake. He does like his highballs. And the ladies.

Best observed after a few gin and tonics in my experience...

seagrass

• annie1992
    11 years ago

OK, Seagrass, now you have me grinning.

Boy, I'll tell you, give a 95 year old guy a couple of gin and tonics and he'll start acting like he's a youngster of 92 again! LOL

Good for him anyway, I've never known a facility that served alcohol. Here they'd have to get a separate and very expensive liquor license, I suppose.

Annie

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

cynic, what is "Ol Nesc?"

dcarch, thanks for the encouragement.

More than butterflied, this turkey is split...remove backbone, flip bird over and slice it in half through the breast bone....then nestle each half into a roasting pan. Just seems like it would roast much better that way and take up less oven space. Plus it won't need basting.

My big concern with basting is every time I open the oven, the temp drops like crazy and takes time to reheat, so the bird takes a long time to get done. This way it should be much faster.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tyler Florence Split Turkey

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

We will have 9 adults and 2 tots with us this year. Our menu has been pared down over the years, but the traditions are still the core of the meal. I added corn pudding two years ago, and everyone likes that too.

Roast, stuffed fresh turkey
    Corn pudding
    Minced meat peaches
    Twice baked potatoes
    Candied sweet potatoes
    Pumpkin tea bread
    Cranberry-orange sauce
    Fruit salad (my sister's choice)
    A fresh vegetable (my sister's contribution)
    Dessert (also from my sister)

My husband prefers that we have just a limited amount of leftovers, so I send turkey leftovers home with my sister and/or son.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

AnnieD, the "Old Nesc" is a large Nesco electric roaster. Cynic and I definitely agree on the value of those roasters.

I do a wonderful turkey in mine every year, the skin is exactly crispy all over, but I don't care. I carve the bird in the kitchen and I don't care for poultry skin, so into the Nesco it goes!

I also have the smaller 6 quart Nesco roaster that I've used for everything from roast chicken to bean soup to baking brownies. Great little piece of kitchen equipment for under $50.00.

Annie

• John Liu
    11 years ago

My sister and I do Thanksgiving together. She brings the turkey, since I don't like making (or eating) it. I make sides and a turkey alternative main dish. Often it is some sort of roast beast. This year I am thinking either lobster or a Peking Duck. I'll probably choose the lobster as I am feeling lazy. Might get an extra crustacean and make a lobster bisque. For dessert, I am also going to try my self-challenge, the Paris-Brest.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seagrass you made me laugh out loud! I wish you a very happy nd entertaining Thanksgiving, I bet you will have a great story to tell.

Everyones menu sounds wonderfully traditional. I do try to add something "new" most years and it has been met with varying degrees of enthusiasm, maybe I will stick with the T&T unless something really jumps out in the next few days.

WalnutCreek, I made these marinated olives a couple of weeks ago and will pull them out for the big day(I should have mentinoed that the olives were marinated on my initial post, and the "cheese crackers" are actually a cheese board WITH crackers, not Cheez-Its or something LOL!)

Anyway, this is how I make my Marinated Olives -

Herb Marinated Olives
    Ingredients
    1 pound assorted olives, such as Kalamata, Cerignola, Greek, Gaeta or Nicoise
    2 cups olive oil
    1 onion, julienned
    4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    4 bay leaves, torn into pieces
    1 branch fennel or 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
    2 sprigs fresh thyme
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    3-inch piece orange peel, julienned
    12 coriander seeds
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more, to taste)
    Instructions
    In a large bowl combine all ingredients and stir well to combine. Marinate at room temperature at least 24 hours before serving (cover and refrigerate if longer). Transfer to glass jars with lids and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. (Allow to return to room temperature before serving.)
    �
    Note:� Don�t discard the remaining olive oil after the olives are gone�it is delicious served as a dipping oil for crusty French bread or drizzled over pasta or grilled vegetables.

Looks like there will be some fine eating again this year!

Alexa

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

As for basting, it is for the skin, not the meat under it and it really detracts from the meat cooking properly due to the oven temp. fluctuating every time the door is opened to baste. Better to just butter the bird over and under the skin and hope for the best. The skin is not good for you but it is a favorite food for many. I often kinda compromise, I baste but sparingly. Too bad they haven't invented a basting device that you can set up to work automatically inside the oven without opening the door!

We usually do duck, and for that I have to eventually open the oven door and siphon off the copious duck fat that collects in the roasting pan!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thanks, Annie...never heard of it before. I learn so much here!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Alexa, your marinated olives sound wonderful. Thank you so much.

• granjan
    11 years ago

I'm going to do just turkey breast since none of the 6 us are fans of turkey dark meat.(Probably 2 breasts for leftovers to send home.)I've never roasted just turkey breast to get a crispy skin. Any recipes, tips?

• lori316
    11 years ago

Not necessarily anything new here...they'd revolt. However, I am finally going to brine my turkey. I've never done it before, so I'm a little late to that party.

We have a huge gathering of about 50, but it's not as bad as it sounds because everybody brings something.

I am in charge of two turkeys, gravy, and a ham, cranberry sauce two ways, and most desserts. I will make one turkey the day before and brine the other for Turkey Day. I'll do the ham in the Nesco.

Funny how different people have different traditions. I can't imagine not having mashed potatoes, but we NEVER do apetizers. My mother didn't so I don't, plus it saves room for the meal, much the same way people feel about mashed potatoes. ;)

If anybody has any suggestions on the brining, let me know. I'm sure there's lots of posts here that I will check on.

Maybe I'll head over to the assisted living facility for dessert ;)

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AH HA moment here!

No, I haven't found something "new" to add.... I am dusting off a recipe I haven't made in over a decade and bringing this retro-baby back to life for this year. It takes a couple of days, so planning in advance is needed and perfect for my schedule this year. Plus it makes 2 and freezes well so the second will be added to my Holiday Open House menu! (Yes, I have strained my shoulder patting myself on the back with this one... LOL)

Alexa

Autumn Pate with Mushrooms and Hazelnuts

2 lbs ground turkey meat
    8 oz pork fatback, diced
    12 oz bulk pork sausage
    1 med onion minced
    5 cloves garlic
    3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
    2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 lb lean pork cut into 2 x 1/3 inch strips
    4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto minced
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    3/4 cup Calvados or brandy
    6 bay leaves
    1 lb sliced bacon
    3 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 lb shitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps sliced
    3/4 cup lightly toasted hazelnuts, skins removed, coarsely chopped

1. The day before baking the pate, combine the turkey, fatback, sausage, onion and garlic. Put the mixture through a meat grinder or process in a food processor until well blended.
    2. place the mixture in a large mixing bowl and mix in the rosemary, thyme, coriander, salt pepper, pork strips and prosciutto. Beat in the eggs and Calvados to bind. Cover the mixture and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
    3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    4. Place a row of 3 bay leaves down the center of two 6 � 8 cup terrines or loaf pans. Line each with bacon slices arranged crosswise to line both the sides and the bottom. Let the ends of the slices hang over the edges of the pan.
    5. Melt the butter in a skillet over med-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saut�, stirring frequently until lightly browned and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
    6. Layer 1/3 of the pate mixture in the prepared terrines. Top with half the saut�ed mushrooms and hazelnuts. Top with another 1/3 of the meat mixture, then the remaining mushrooms and hazelnuts. Make a final layer with the rest of the meat and pack the mixture compactly with your hands or a wooden spoon. Fold the overhanging bacon over the top of each pate.
    7. Completely wrap each pan tightly with aluminum foil. Place the pans in a larger baking pan and pour water halfway up the sides of the terrines. Bake the pate 1 � hours. Remove from the oven and let cool under a weight (I use another loaf pan with several cans of beans) for at least 2 hours. Chill the pates several hours before unmolding. (It freezes well at this point)

• pink_warm_mama_1
    11 years ago

Here in parts of Maryland (and perhaps Pennsylvania too) we wouldn't think of having roast turkey without sauerkraut cooked with ham hocks and tart apples. Yum.

• jude31
    11 years ago

Thnksgiving for me is at Sister-in-law's. What I'm taking that is new for me are Katie C's Potatoes Elegante and LindaC's Apple Cake with Cake Gravy. I'm also taking the Haricots Verts with Herb Butter, and LindaC's Cranberry Jezebel, both of which I took last year.

• jessicavanderhoff
    11 years ago

It'll be just me and the dog this year, and I bought some meat glue on a whim, so this may be the year of the turducken . . .

• lindalou
    11 years ago

jude, would you share katie c's potatoes elegante recipe? thanks, so much!! :)

• lindalou
    11 years ago

jude, nevermind.....i found it.
    Potatoes Elegante

Recipe By :Katie, adapted over the years from an old sour cream recipe booklet Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Vegies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 2 pounds (3-4 large) potatoes -- cooked and sliced salt and pepper -- to taste 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese -- * see note 3 tablespoons butter 1 1/2 cups chopped onions 1 1/2 cups sour cream 3 eggs paprika

Saute onions in butter until golden.
    In a deep, oiled casserole dish, layer 1/2 potatoes (sprinkle with salt and pepper), 1/2 onions and 1/2 jack and cheddar cheeses. Repeat layers.
    Beat sour cream and eggs. Pour over top. Sprinkle with paprika.
    Bake @ 375� for 40 minutes.
    NOTES : *The original recipe called for Monterey Jack cheese and Romano cheese, but we prefer the cheddar.

• cyalexa
    11 years ago

I made this last night. It is the best cranberry sauce I've ever tasted. I decreased the white sugar to 1/2 cup and cooked the berries about 15 minutes instead of 6. I also added a 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Sauce with Port and Dried Figs

• Lars
    11 years ago

It's just two of us this year, but I still plan to cook so that we can get leftovers. We bought an organic roasting chicken at TJ's along with a turkey breast, and I'm pondering how to cook them together. I think I will use the smoker, butterfly the chicken, and put the turkey breast under the chicken, since the turkey breast has almost no skin, and I am afraid of it drying out. Anyway, this will be something new for me to do. I was thinking of using the barbeque instead, but I don't feel like dealing which the charcoal. I might use the small barbeque and roast some chilies and other vegetables, however. Weather should be cooperating - there is only a 10% chance of rain.

I'm also cooking a butternut squash, although I have not settled on a recipe. I am leaning toward the kimchi recipe in the latest issue of Los Angeles Magazine, but I would have to start that today or tomorrow, and I do not have the kale yet.

Lars

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I think I'm going to try Art Smith's Soul Food Chutney that was heard on NPR recently.

If I want to use dried ground ginger instead of the cystalized ginger, what amount do you think to use?

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Art Smith's Soul Food Chutney (scroll down)

• bob_cville
    11 years ago

jadeite,

Would you mind posting the recipe for
    fiery sweet potatoes (SP with Thai curry and coconut milk)

I'm bringing some sweet potatoes that I just dug up from the garden a couple of days ago, and the host, a brother-in-law who's a really good cook seems to be wanting me to come up with a special way of making them. Your recipe might be interesting.

I just noticed yesterday at the store that sweet potatoes were on sale for $0.39 / lb. So given that I got about 6 lb or so from the garden, that adds up to about $2.40 worth, which is just a little bit short of the $2.99 that it cost to buy the 6 sweet potato plants back in April. Yay.

• caflowerluver
    11 years ago

No, it is just the traditional basics here. DH and son like it that way. Dog doesn't care as long as she gets some of the leftover turkey. Bought a 9.5 lb. Butterball turkey that I stuff with a Meyer lemon - sliced, celery and fennel. I make enough to heat up for a second meal on Sunday. I always enjoy it more the second time around.
    Clare

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have found something new to add to the menu... you knew I would LOLOLOL! So here is the "warm up" cocktail before the festivities begin for real!

Alexa

Oh yea... it is compliments of my good buddy Rachael Ray
    Ginger Snap Martini
    Ingredients
    � 1 ounce Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
    � 1 1/2 ounces vodka
    � 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
    � 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    � 1/4 teaspoon agave syrup
    � Pinch of ground cloves
    � Pinch of ground cinnamon
    � Pinch of grated nutmeg
    � Cinnamon stick, for garnish

Put everything except the Cinnamon stick in a cocktail shaker with a little ice. Shake hard. Pour into a chilled martini glass and garnish with cinnamon stick

• jakkom
    11 years ago

We always do a potluck at get togethers because we all like to cook. But the group is smaller this year, so we're keeping the menu modest. Also, the Gen X'ers prefer the traditional, so we save the wildly creative for the rest of the year, lol.

One new recipe: a rye bread/whole wheat dressing, with mushrooms and dried cranberries. Making it with a super-rich vegetarian broth as we have 2 vegetarians at the table this year.

Homemade sushi
    Goat cheese & red pepper mini-quiches
    Artichoke heart appetizer
    Mushroom soup
    Traditional roast and brined turkey with gravy
    Rye/whole wheat dressing (vegetarian)
    Cranberry sauce: canned, homemade chunky, and homemade sugar free
    Slow-roasted mixed veggies
    Mashed potatoes
    Lemon curd cheesecake
    Sugar-free pumpkin pie custard

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Cyalexa - That looks like a great recipe! I've already made the cranberry sauce but will put on the list for next year!

Dawn

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Oh yes! for dessert, I am ordering Twinkies.

dcarch

• jadeite
    11 years ago

bob_cville, I'm happy to post the recipe. It came from the New York Times in 2009.

Fiery Sweet Potatoes
    Time: About 2 hours

5 pounds sweet potatoes

1 cup coconut milk

1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 teaspoon salt.

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake potatoes on a baking sheet until very soft, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash.

2. In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk with curry paste over low heat. Mix coconut milk mixture, half the sugar, half the butter, and salt into potatoes. Keep warm until ready to serve, or cover and refrigerate up to two days.

3. At least 30 minutes before serving, heat oven to 425 degrees. Put potatoes in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover potatoes, dot with remaining butter and sugar and broil until brown and crusty on top, checking often to prevent scorching.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

Notes: I've made this, the full 5lbs, following the recipe up through step 2. I've frozen it in portions at this stage. If I'm serving it to guests, I'll finish it with the butter and brown sugar because it makes a prettier presentation. If it's just for DH and me, I skip this. It's good enough as is.

Cheryl