SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Duck Dinner

foodonastump
10 years ago

A couple weeks ago I told my wife I knew what I was going to try to make for Valentine's Day. (A dessert I saw on Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate.") Later in the day I was reminiscing about some duck I had over summer vacation in Sag Harbor. Wife said, "Please don't make duck for Valentine's Day, I don't really like duck."

Well that sounded like a challenge, so I decided to create a meal centered around duck. With a plan in mind, I ordered three fresh ducks from a local poultry farm.

I crisped up some skin and served it atop a salad with an Orange and Ale Vinaigrette from F&W.

Next was duck soup. It was based on a Vietnamese recipe from Epicurious, but I kept it much simpler. Duck stock, ginger, fish sauce, rice vermicelli, duck breast.

The main course was duck three different ways: wasabi breast au poivre (the original inspiration for this meal), Modernist Cuisine's confit, and "Duck Sausages Hunter's Style" from Hank Shaw's blog.

I should note that except for the sausage, all the duck meat was cooked sous vide, and I'm sold on this method - for duck. The au poivre would have been a perfect med-rare except that I made the mistake of putting it under the broiler when the fat hadn't rendered to my liking. I should have put it back in the skillet. Either way, it was my wife's favorite part of the meal. The confit had wonderful texture and flavors of juniper, rosemary, thyme, etc, but unfortunately it was borderline unbearably salty. Most of my wife's portion went to the dog, and now I've got to figure out what to do with the three remaining legs to mask this problem. I really loved the sausage and am happy that there are several more links in the freezer for another meal.

Best part, my wife decided she likes duck afterall!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!