SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Cookalong #16----------APPLES

wizardnm
14 years ago

Here's the next Cookalong ***star***ingredient:

****APPLES****

Sherrman has been away from the computer, so we will start our two weeks today. I'll draw the next name on Dec 13, 2009.

Dig out those yummy apple recipes (T+T please) and let's try to make this a great thread to refer to.

Thanks Sherrman.....I love apples!

Nancy (whoever added the other links...please do so)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #15 Potatoes

Comments (53)

• moosemac
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've posted this before but thought it was appropriate.

Quebec Apple Dumplings

4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut in half
    8 heaping tsp. old fashioned dark brown sugar
    8 scant tsp. finely chopped walnuts
    4 tsp. Canadian whiskey
    8 tsp. butter
    8 tbs. Canadian cheddar cheese, finely grated
    1 double pie crust recipe
    1 egg, well beaten
    1 tbs. water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix brown sugar, walnuts, whiskey and butter till well mixed. Roll out each piecrust into a 12" by 12" square. Cut each square into to quarters. In the center of each quarter, place 1 tablespoon of cheese, top with apple with a heaping tablespoon of the sugar mixture. In a separate, bowl beat egg and water together. Brush edges of piecrust with egg mixture. Bring four corners of each crust together at top sealing seams and folding up corners. Apple should be sealed snugly in crust. Baste with egg wash. Place on un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 dumplings.

• compumom
    14 years ago

Barb-- T&T is Cooking Forum (aka CF) speak for a tried and true recipe! I'm glad you asked!

• Related Discussions

Speaking of Apples

Q

Comments (11)
    I just tried this one and I liked it a lot, although the girls didn't care for the "custardy" middle part. It's from Cook's Illustrated but is not as picky and tedious as some of their recipes tend to be. I did not have Granny Smith apples so I used Jonathan, and it turned out fine but I think something like MacIntosh would turn to mush in the microwave. FRENCH APPLE CAKE (serves 8 to 10) 1-1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges and sliced 1/8 inch thick crosswise 1 Tablespoon Calvados 1 teaspoon lemon juice 1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour 1 Cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 large egg plus 2 large yolks 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cup whole milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Confectioner�s sugar Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch spingform pan with vegetable oil spray. Place prepared pan on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminun foil. Place apple slices into a microwave safe pie plate and cover, then mircrowave until apples are pliable and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Toss apple slices with Calvados and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes. Whisk one cup flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Whisk egg, oil, milk, and vanilla together in a second bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Transfer one cup batter to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the two egg yolks to remaining batter and whisk to combine. Using a spatula, gently fold in cooled apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan; using an offset spatula, spread batter evenly to pan edges, gently pressing on apples to create an even, compact layer and smooth surface. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into reserved batter. Pour over batter in pan and spread evenly to edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar evenly over batter. Bake until center of cake is set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Top should be golden brown, bake about 1-1/4 hours total. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen and let cool completely, 2 to 3 hours. Dust lightly with confectioners sugar, cut into wedges and serve. Annie
    ...See More

Cookalong #15 ------------ POTATOES

Q

Comments (51)
    I bought a 50 lb bag of potatoes at the farm and I have been trying to find 50 ways to use them on my blog.. I cut them with fall shaped cutter, tossed them in oil and s and p and baked till browned.. I intend to do them with star cutters for Christmas. The gkids loved them.. So many excellent potato recipes from all of you here..thank you! Here is a link that might be useful: LOTS of POTATOES...
    ...See More

Cookalong Links

Q

Comments (63)
    #43 Cabbage #44 Lamb #45 Chili #46 Poultry #47 Rice #48 Onions #49 Fish #50 Mangoes
    ...See More

Cookalong #17 ------------ WALNUTS

Q

Comments (30)
    This is a little different in that its a yeast bread and not a quick bread. It has great flavor and is well worth the trouble. Walnut Bread I just discovered this at Thanksgiving 2006. This is wonderfully nutty with a touch of sweetness. This recipe is adapted from Jimmy Schmidts Cooking Class by Jimmy Schmidt. The recipe makes 2 small loaves. Ingredients 1 package (2 ½ teaspoons) dry active yeast ¼ cup maple syrup 1 ½ cups luke warm water 2 cups flour 1 cup whole wheat flour ¾ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper 3 cups walnuts divided 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil In a small bowl, combine yeast, syrup and water. Allow the yeast to activate and foam (5 to 10 minutes). Take two cups of walnuts and chop until fine (I do this in a food processor). In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, salt and pepper. Add the chopped walnuts. To the yeast mixture, add one cup flour and mix. Add the yeast mixture to the walnut / flour mixture. Mix until a ball forms. Add the remaining walnuts and olive oil. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a clean damp cloth. The dough will be more like a batter. Let rise until dough (batter) doubles in size. Punch down dough with floured hands. Place half the dough in a greased 9x5x3 inch baking pan. Repeat with other half. Cover with a clean damp cloth and allow to rise to 1 ½ its volume. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F; turn down temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes. Hints, tips, tricks and how to cheat I changed the amount of maple syrup to ⅓ cup. I used all all-purpose flour (3 cups total) instead of using the whole wheat flour (mainly because I didnt have whole wheat flour in the house at the time). I also omitted the black pepper.
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    14 years ago

That veal recipe sounds interesting. Makes me wish I had brought Calvados home last time I was in Europe. I've never seen it in any of the liquor stores here.

Here are my contributions.

Apple Walnut Cobbler
    Source BH&G January 1997

5 c tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
    3/4 c chopped walnuts
    3/4 c sugar, divided
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 c all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 c evaporated milk
    1/3 c butter or margarine, melted
    Half & Half or light cream (Optional)

Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish. Spread the apples in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c walnuts, 1/4 c sugar and the cinnamon. In medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 c sugar and baking powder.

In small bowl, combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour evenly over the apples, sprinkle with remaining walnuts.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm, cut into squares. If desired, serve with half & half or cream.
    9 servings

01/07 made this for the first timereally good and super easy! I used Pink Lady apples, had no evap milk so subbed cream. Worked fine.

CREAMY DUTCH APPLE DESSERT 1/4 c. butter 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) 1 c. (8 oz.) sour cream 1 (3 oz.) cream cheese 1/4 c. lemon juice 1 can apple pie filling 1/4 c. chopped walnuts 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 1 1/2 quart shallow baking dish (10 x 6 inch) melt butter in oven. Sprinkle in crumbs; stir well. Press on bottom of dish. In medium bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk, sour cream and lemon juice and cream cheese. Spread evenly over crumbs. Spoon pie filling evenly over creamy layer. Sprinkle with walnuts that have been mixed with the cinnamon. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until set. May be served warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers. Variations: Omit cinnamon, substitute blueberry, cherry or peach pie filling for apple pie filling.

This one was posted by Seagrass a few years ago. I make it often when asked to bring an appetizer. It's always a nice change from the crackers, chees, meatballs, etc. on a pot luck table, and everyone loves it!

FALL APPLE DIP
    (8 servings)

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped, salted peanuts (without skins)
    3 apples, sliced but not peeled (I like to use a Golden Delicious, a Granny Smith and a red-skinned variety for the most color)
    1/2 cup orange juice

Combine cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl - mix until smooth. Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts. Dip apple slices in orange juice and arrange around the cream cheese mixture. (Can transport apple slices in a container or ziplock bag in the orange juice, then arrange when ready to serve).

Linda

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

This is a recipe a customer gave us back in 2004. For the life of me, I can't remember her name except that it began with an "L".

Praline Apple Bread
    Winner of the 2001 Apple Baking Contest in Frankenmuth MI

Ingredients:
    1 cup granulated sugar*
    8 oz sour cream
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup tart apples, peeled and chopped*
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup brown sugar, packed

Method:
    1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla using electric mixer on low speed until combined. Then, beat on medium speed for two minutes.
    2. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to sour cream mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.
    3. Stir in apples and half the pecans.
    4. Turn into a greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle top with remaining chopped pecans and press them lightly into the batter.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. (Test for doneness with toothpick.) Cool in pan on cooling rack for ten minutes.
    6. In a small pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat, boil gently for one minute. Remove bread for the pan and drizzle with butter and brown sugar mixture. Cool and serve.

My notes:
    * I find a whole cup of sugar to be a bit too sweet for us and so usually use a scant 3/4 cup.
    ** The recipe as written originally said to use "tart Michigan apples such as Ida Red or Northern Spy." I haven't never been able to get any of those, so I use whatever I can find -- usually Gala, Empire and/or York.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

APPLE AND GREENS SALAD
    2-4 servings

2 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened apple cider
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 Tbsp cider vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1/8 tsp cinnamon
    2 c. loosely packed, torn leaf lettuce
    2 c. loosely packed, torn romaine lettuce
    1 small unpeeled red apple, thinly sliced
    1 small unpeeled Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
    1 Tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
    Freshly ground black pepper, optional

Combine the cider, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt, pepper & cinnamon in a small jar. Cover & shake vigorously.
    Combine lettuces, apples & almonds in a large bowl. Drizzle with cider mixture to taste & toss gently.
    Sprinkle with pepper if desired.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

APPLE BRAN MUFFINS

I've made these several times and they turn out perfect each time. They're in the green light - go ahead zone of Rick Gallops' glycemic index list of breakfast or snack foods for those who are trying to keep their sugar and insulin levels down.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup All-Bran cereal
    1 cup skim milk
    2/3 cup whole wheat flour
    Sweetener - equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
    2 teasp baking powder
    1/2 teasp baking soda
    1/4 teasp salt
    1 teasp allspice
    1/2 teasp cloves
    1 1/2 cups

2/3 cup raisins
    1 large apple peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    1 low-cholesterol (omega-3) egg, lightly beaten
    2 teasp vegetable oil
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1. Mix the All-Bran and skim milk in a bowl and let stand for a few minutes.

2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir in the oat bran, raisins and apple.

3. In a small bowl, combine the egg, vegetable oil and applesauce. Stir, along with the All-Bran mixture, into the dry ingredients.

4. Spoon the mixture into an oil-sprayed 12-muffin tray. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Source: The Glycemic Index Diet
    Rick Gallop ©2002
    Random House Canada

My Notes:

You may have to find the oat bran in a diet or health food store
    I used fructose for the sweetener but for anyone on a strict no-sugar diet use the artificial sweetener of your choice. Otherwise non-dieters use granulated white sugar.
    The mixture is thick and dry-ish. Keep stirring until all is well mixed and don't think you made a mistake in the amount of milk.

This one calls for phyllo pastry but I don't see why you couldn't use puff pastry instead.

Recipe as recounted to me by Resi, the owner of our favourite neighbourhood Austrian restaurant. This is how she makes it and I took the photo as she served it to us.

APPLE, RAISIN & QUARK TART

1 pkg frozen phyllo pastry
    1 egg
    1 or more apples - peeled and diced
    sugar to taste - guess I'd start off with 1/3 cup ?

- here the quark we buy comes in 250 gram tubs so that would be 500 grams or just over 1 lb total.
    raisins - a handful
    1 egg beaten with a little milk for brushing on top

1. Open out a square/rectangle of the defrosted pastry
    2. Beat together 1 egg, quark and sugar. Spread it over the pastry.
    3. Sprinkle with chopped apple and raisins to your taste.
    4. Fold over one side of pastry to close and press edges with fork to seal.
    5. Brush with the 2nd beaten egg & milk mixture
    6. Bake 350F (180C) about 20 minutes or until top is browned.

SharonCb

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I'll definitely be saving this thread.

from Irene Chalmers:

Farmhouse Baked Apples

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 medium Granny Smith, McIntosh or Rome apples
    1/2 cup walnuts -- chopped
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/3 cup real maple syrup
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    3 Tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs (8 small cookies)

Preheat oven to 350.

Peel the top half of each apple and remove the core. Stand apples in a baking dish.

In a bowl toss together the walnuts, raisins, maple syrup, nutmeg, and melted butter. Fill the empty apple-core space with this mixture. Brush the peeled part of the apples with the liquid remaining in the bowl and press the cookie crumbs onto the surfaces.

Gently pour 1/2 inch of hot water into the bottom of the baking dish. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the apples have softened. You can test doneness with the sharp point of a knife. Apples should be tender but retain their shape. Serve hot or at room temperature.

From Leave it to Linda Catering:

Greens with Caramelized Pecans

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Salads Side

Caramelized Pecans:
    1 1/2 cups pecan halves
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup granulated sugar

Dressing:
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar -- (Caterer prefers Elsa)
    1 clove garlic -- crushed (can be 2 cloves)
    freshly ground pepper -- to taste
    2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil -- (Caterer prefers Badia a Coltibuono)

Salad:
    1 bunch arugula
    1 head red leaf lettuce -- (small head) torn into pieces
    1 head butter lettuce -- (small head) torn into pieces
    1/2 pound spinach leaves -- (baby) stems removed
    2 apples -- (Gala) sliced and slices cut into thirds
    2 pears -- sliced and slices cut into thirds
    1/4 pound gorgonzola cheese -- (Marco Oro is her preferred brand.)

To make caramelized pecans: Coarsely chop half of the pecans. Melt the butter in a nonstick pan over medium to low heat. Add all the pecans and stir to coat with butter. Sprinkle the sugar over the pecans and cook over medium to low heat until sugar is melted and the pecans turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Spread on a lightly greased baking sheet to cool.

To make dressing: In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, black pepper and olive oil. Shake to combine. Set aside until ready to use. Shake again before drizzling over the salad.

To make salad: Combine lettuces, spinach, apples, pears and cheese in a large bowl. Gently toss to combine. Drizzle about half of the dressing over the greens and toss gently. Sprinkle caramelized pecans over the salad and toss again. Taste and add more dressing if needed. Serve immediately.

From the King Arthur Flour Baking Sheet, September, 1991:

Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts Cakes

Cake
    2 1/3 cups All-Purpose Flour -- Unbleached (9 3/4 ounces)
    2 cups granulated sugar -- (14 ounces)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening -- (3 1/4 ounces)
    1 pound apples, peeled -- (12 ounces yield or 4 cups) chopped
    2/3 cup walnuts -- (4 ounces) chopped
    Brown Sugar Frosting
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (2 1/2 ounces)
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed -- (3 1/4 ounces)
    3 tablespoons milk -- (1 1/2 ounces)
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar -- (6 ounces)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cake: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan.

Mix all of the ingredients except the apples and walnuts in a large bowl. Beat until well combined; the mixture will be crumbly. Add the apples and walnuts, and mix until the apples release some of their juice and the crumbly mixture becomes a thick batter, somewhere between cookie dough and brownie batter in consistency.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan, smoothing it with your wet fingers. Bake the cake for 45 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Remove from the oven and place on a rack, to cool completely; don't remove the cake from pan. When the cake is completely cool, frost with Brown Sugar Frosting.

Frosting: Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts. Add the milk, bring to a boil, and pour into a mixing bowl to cool for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat well; if the mixture appears too thin, add more confectioners' sugar. Spread on the cake while frosting is still warm.

From Smithfield Pork:

Pecan-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Relish

2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins
    1 16-oz. can whole-berry cranberry sauce
    1/3 cup chopped apple
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
    1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
    2 teaspoons dried thyme or rubbed sage
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 400.

2. Combine cranberry sauce and next five ingredients in a bowl; stir well and set aside.

3. Combine pecans, breadcrumbs, thyme or rubbed sage, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish; stir well. Spread mustard over tenderloins; roll in pecan mixture, pressing pecan mixture into pork. Place tenderloins in a shallow roasting pan. Press any remaining pecan mixture into top of tenderloins. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until meat thermomenter registers 150 (pork will be slightly pink). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with cranberry sauce mixture.

This recipe came originally from Use it All: The Leftovers Cookbook but I changed it considerably.

Waldorf Salad with Chicken and Grapes

Dressing
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup lowfat yogurt
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons honey

Salad
    3 medium apples, diced large
    3 stalks celery, sliced
    1 cup grapes -- halved
    4 ounces cooked skinless boneless chicken breast, diced large
    1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts

This has no instructions. Just mix the dressing ingredients and toss with the salad components.

Carol

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

T&T means tried and true.

I'm going to be learning a lot from this thread, as I don't cook with apples as much as I'd like to. I love apples, and I tend to eat them before I can cook them, lol.

DH and I have both made apple pies, because that's his very, very favorite pie, maybe his favorite food in the world. I figure everyone here has made apple pie, but I'll post a recipe anyway. The recipe for the filling we've been liking lately is derived from a recipe in King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, called "The Best Apple Pie." I changed a couple of ingredients due to what I had on hand, and it worked so well, we've kept the changes, and never made it the way it's written. I'll type the recipe as presented in the book but make note of the changes I made. We used AnnT's Butter and Lard pie dough recipe, using shortening instead of lard.

The Best Apple Pie

One 9-inch double piecrust

3 1/4 pounds (about 9 whole apples) Cortland, Granny Smith, or other baking apples, peeled , cored and sliced (7 to 8 cups) (* my note* I used a mixture of apples, with Granny Smith in the majority)

1/4 cup (2 ounces) apple cider (*my note* I was out of apple cider, so I used orange juice)

1 tablespoon rum (optional) (*my note* I used amaretto, as I was out of rum, and had amaretto. I also thought it would taste really good, especially since I was using orange juice. It did.)

Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teasoons apple pie spice (KAF's note - If you don't have apple pie spice, use 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and allspice. That's what I did.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the apples, cider, rum, (or the substitutions) lemon juice, and vanilla. Whisk together the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the apples to coat them evenly.

Roll one piece of pie crust into a 10-inch round and lay it gently in a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon in the filling. Roll out the other piece, lay it atop the filling, and seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk and sprinkle it with coarse sugar, if desired. Or save a bit of the crust and cut decorative leaf designs, laying them in the center of the crust, or around the edges. Cut a few slashes in the crust, or a round hole in the center, to vent steam.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F, and bake for an additional 45 to 55 minutes, until the top is brown and filling is bubbly.

Another thing I like to do with apples occasionally for a different breakfast, is to spread peanut butter on bread, lay sliced apples on top, sprinkle with cinnamon, and broil just a minute or so, until hot and slightly browned. This could be done in a toaster oven I imagine, but I don't have one, so I use my oven's broiler. It's good with orange slices, too, but this thread's about apples. Be careful when eating, though, as hot peanut butter can really burn your mouth.

Sally

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Bean there, did you mean 1 and 1/4 cups of apple in the Praline Apple Bread? It just says 1/4.

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

I have made the Praline Apple Bread recipe numerous times throughout the years. It is a SL recipe and I have shared this recipe here many times and didn't want to post it again (thinking people would get tired of seeing the same old recipe). I like it and so do my family and friends. It is very cake like but moist.

Praline-Apple Bread - SL

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    1 8 oz. carton sour cream
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/4 cups chopped, peeled apples
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease the bottom and 1/2-inch up the sides of a 9x5x3-inch aluminum loaf pan (dont use glass, it will not set up right). Set aside. In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl beat together sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add flour mixture to sour cream mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Stir in apples and 1/2 cup of the pecans by hand. Spread batter in the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with the remaining pecans; press lightly into batter.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover bread loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan.

Meanwhile in a small saucepan combine the butter and brown sugar; cook and stir until mixture begins to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 1 minute. Drizzle brown sugar mixture over top of bread; cool.

Yield:
    "1 loaf"

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Ooh, another printing frenzy is coming on.

This one is so simple I bet everyone already does it. I love it because it is easy, not too sweet, and impresses everyone who eats it. Makes me feel guilty, lol.

EASY APPLE STRUDEL
    From The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan

2 Granny Smith apples
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup raisins (optional)
    2 TBL chopped nuts
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Rind of 1 lemon
    4 sheets fillo dough
    1/2 cup butter or pareve margarine, melted
    1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
    Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 375.

Peel and core the apples. Then combine with the sugar, raisins, nuts, cinnamon, and lemon rind.

Take 1 sheet of fillo and spread out on a dry board. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs. Place a second fillo leaf on top. Brush with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Place half the apple mixture at the end of the fillo sheets, leaving a 1 inch border. Starting with that end, carefully roll, jelly-roll fashion, ending with the seam on the bottom. Brush the top with more butter and place in a greased jelly-roll pan (a cookie sheet will do fine).

Repeat with the remaining filling and fillo dough.

Bake 35 minutes, or until golden. Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

Serve the same day as baking. By the second day it becomes tough. One of these will serve two big strapping men or 4 dainty ladies for desert.

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Arrg. Peel core and CHOP THE APPLES IN A SMALL DICE.

I always forget something.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Yep, CC, that I did. Thanks.
    See, Trsinc? We all do it. :)

Would be nice to have an "edit post" function, wouldn't it?

DD, that recipe's probably been published several places. I got it from a dog-earred recipe card handed to me by a customer. She was from the town in Michigan wher the festival is held and said she got it from the local paper. Just goes to show what a small world it is. :)

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

What's pareve margarine? Just curious.

Sally

• lindac
    14 years ago

Apple Cake with cake gravy

4 cups chopped apples
    1 ½ cups sugar
    ½ cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots)
    Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK)
    2 cups flour
    1 ½ tsps baking soda ( I like ¾ tsps soda and ¾ tsps BP)
    ¾ tsps salt
    1T cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg
    Mix dry ingredients
    2 eggs
    ¾ cups veggie oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    beat together
    1 cup chopped pecans if desired.
    Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.
    Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until done..40 to 50 minutes.
    Serve with cake gravy!

Cake Gravy
    Mix 1 cup sugar
    1 stick butter
    ½ cup evap milk
    1 tsp vanilla.
    Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes.
    Serve warm over the cake.

Posted many times before....but here it is again.

Apple cake with cake gravy.

• woodie
    14 years ago

Thought I better post this quick before Compumom beats me to it! (Its a nice breakfast recipe that we both make and enjoy.)

APPLE PUFFED PANCAKE

6 eggs
    1-1/2 cups milk
    1 cup flour
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 lb. butter
    2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    3 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In blender (or large bowl) mix eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until blended. (If using a mixer, batter will remain slightly lumpy.) Melt butter in a 12 inch quiche dish or a 13 x 9 glass dish in the oven. Add the apple slices to the dish and return to the oven until the butter sizzles. Do not let brown. Remove the dish from the oven and immediately pour the batter over the apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake in the middle of the oven 20 minutes or until puffed and brown. Serve immediately.

6-8 servings.
    From Marlene Soroskys Cookery for Entertaining

• sheesh
    14 years ago

I've posted this before, but it is so good, quick, fresh, and easy that I can't help myself. I think everyone always has these simple ingredients on hand.

3 or 4 apples - any variety with red skin, unpeeled
    1 or 2 ribs celery
    1/2 red onion (red because it looks pretty in the salad)
    handful of raisins
    handful of pecan halves
    2 handsful of seedless grapes
    handful of salty nuts, such as cashews, cocktail peanuts
    juice from half a lemon
    dash salt
    mayo - enough to hold everything together - 1/3 c or so

Core the apples but don't peel; cut into bite-size pieces; drizzle with lemon juice
    Cut celery and onion into bite-size chunks
    Add everything but the nuts, stir to combine. Add the nuts at the end so they don't get soft or lose their "saltiness".

Serve cold as salad, dessert, side dish or snack.

When I was working, I took it to the library with me for an afternoon pick-me-up; I often shared it with teachers as they passed through the library to see what goodies (if any) I'd brought that day. This was hugely popular.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

OOH great ingredient choice.

Ann

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

My family also likes this cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

• trsinc
    14 years ago

Sally, from what I understand it is margarine that has no dairy in it (I guess sometimes they do) and it has to fit certain criteria to be certified as pareve.

I'm not Jewish so there may be more to it than that.

• maggie2094
    14 years ago

APPLE DAPPLE CAKE
    Printed from COOKS.COM

2 c. sugar
    3 eggs
    1 1/3 c. cooking oil
    3 c. flour
    1 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. salt
    3 c. apples, chopped
    1 c. nuts

Mix ingredients thoroughly, folding in apples and nuts last. Turn into greased and floured pan (9 x 13 inches). Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool, cut into squares.

APPLE DAPPLE CAKE GLAZE:

1/2 stick butter
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 c. light brown sugar
    2 tbsp. milk

Combine all ingredients into a boiler. Boil for 1 minute. Spread on hot cake.

...so I forgot to add the glaze on the hot cake...and it was great! The caramel hardened and it was still good - lol:)

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Here's a recipe that I tried just last week & was a hit with the family.

Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Cobbler w/ Cream Cheese Topping

(Battlefield Bed & Breakfast Inn Gettysburg, PA)

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Apple Layer
    8 apples (peeled, sliced)
    1 c. sugar* (I used less)
    1 T. cinnamon

Cobbler Layer

1/2 c. butter
    1 c. brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 c. flour
    3 t. baking powder
    1 t. salt
    1 c. sour cream
    2 T. rum* (Didn't have any so I omitted it)

Crunch Baked Topping

1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 T. butter
    2 T. flour
    1 t. cinnamon

Cream Cheese Topping*
    (I skipped this because I'm not a big fan of cream cheese; the cobbler was delicious w/out.)

8 oz. cream cheese
    1 c. cream
    1 t. vanilla
    1/2-1 cup sugar

Whip together until light & fluffy.

Directions:

Peel & slice the apples. Spread the apples into a 9x13 glass baking dish with the sugar & cinnamon and let them bake while you prepare the rest of the cobbler.

Mix the topping & set aside.

For the cobbler layer, mix butter & sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs & mix. Add remaining ingredients & combine. Dollop over hot apples. Sprinkle with the cinnamon topping.

Return to the oven & bake 30-40 minutes more. Cobbler is done when cake part is brown & firm.

Serve warm with cream cheese topping. (Again, we thought the cobbler was delicious without the topping.)

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

It's been an apple-y fall for me. I've been planting apple trees, doing apple prints with kids, reading stories, an apple tree skit, making applesauce. But the most fun has been my new toy!

I have a fridge full of apples from the sales. I made the one batch of applesauce, so who knows what I might do with the rest of the apples. Right now I'm loving just eating the raw Galas I brought back from Michigan. My home state does the best apples! I'll probably do either an apple pie, apple pie jam, or as a long shot, this apple/potato/celery soup I have on my "to try" list. I am just too tired and too uninspired to do much else in the next two weeks. I have a gazillion apple recipes though, I cook with them so often.

• JoanM
    14 years ago

This is a good applesauce recipe.

Applesauce
    Ina garten

2 large navel oranges, zested and juiced
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    3 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 6 to 8 apples)
    3 pounds sweet red apples, such as Macoun, McIntosh, or Winesap (about 6 to 8 apples)
    1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Place the zest and juice of the oranges and lemon in a large bowl. Peel, quarter, and core the apples (reserving the peel of 2 of the red apples) and toss them in the juice. Pour the apples, reserved apple peel, and juice into a nonreactive Dutch oven or enameled iron pot. Add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and allspice and cover the pot. Bake for 1 hour, or until all the apples are soft. Remove and discard the red apple peel. Mix with a whisk until smooth, and serve warm or at room temperature.

We also love Woodie's Apple Puffed Pancake.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Ok, that's it. I have to make Ci_lantro's cobbler. That just sounds too good not to try. Ci, 1 cup sounds like a lot of sugar to me, too. How much do you recommend cutting it?

My dad used to love spiced apple rings. I haven't had them in years, and my grandmother never wrote down her recipe. Does anyone have a T&T?

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Joanm, I got that Ina recipe from you and it's now my "go to" applesauce. Thanks for posting it again, I think of you whenever I make it. I leave out the butter for canning though. I favor Golden Delicious for applesauce for the yellow apples, not really sure why, since I love Granny Smith for pies. Just my quirks I guess.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

The apple cobbler recipe looks great! ALL the recipes here look great, but that one is simple enough for me, LOL, and DH absolutely loves cobblers.

I like to do something very simple with apples, and the DC especially love it. We often have this on a cold winter's morning -- they like to put it on top of oatmeal -- or for a quick dessert after dinner on an especially busy day when I only have time to cook a very simple meal.

apples (any variety, any number -- I usually use at least 4 or 5 large apples, cored and sliced) I don't peel them, in order to retain vitamins.

3 T. butter

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. sugar, optional

If I use more apples, I adjust the other measurements accordingly. This is also very good with pears!

I melt the butter in a saute' pan on medium heat, then saute' the apple slices for just a minute or so. Then I sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg over them, put a lid on the pan, and turn down the heat to low. I let them simmer for about 5 minutes. There is plenty of liquid in the apples, so I don't add any.

After about 5 minutes, the apple slices are softened but still have plenty of texture. If we have this for dessert, we like it on slices of pound cake, with whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream, depending on the season) on top.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Mara that's one of my favorite apple dishes too. I call it "fried apples" and I thought I invented it, lol! Great with raisins too! I know the peel retains vitamins but I'm getting so scared of the waxes and pesticides on apples these days. Too bad, because I like the skin. I used to be able to afford organic but not anymore. Apples are so hard to grow organically though.

"Fried apples" is one of my "go to" kiddie dishes. I have solved more than one kid crisis with that dish.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Bean--I was using Wolf River apples & used 2/3 to 3/4 cup of sugar and it was plenty sweet.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Yikes, that cake gravy again.... : )

Here is one for you HWB canners. I googled this but did make several years ago. I thought it was Diane's recipe but maybe not?? Anyway, it is a great recipe and I love it on ice cream.....it's like apple pie without the crust!

Here's the Apple Pie Jam Linda Lou posted. I think the recipe is also on the Cooking Forum somewhere. You can see Linda Lou's comments in the last paragraph clarifying the measurement of the apples:
    Apple Pie Jam
    4 cups tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    4 cups sugar
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 box powdered pectin
    1/2 teaspoon butter

Add water to chopped apples to measure 4 cups. Place apples and water into large, heavy saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.

Measure sugars. Stir pectin into fruit. Add butter. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in both sugars. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Ok, I get LOTS of questions about the apples/water measurement. Dice 4 cups of apples. Place in a 4 cup measuring cup, then add water to cover the apples up to the 4 cup mark. It is NOT 4 cups of each. Hope this helps clarify this for you.

~Linda Lou~

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

lpinkmountian, I haven't tried the "fried apples" (I think of them as more like "stewed apples") with raisins, but that sounds yummy! I know the DC would love them that way.

I do scrub the apples, under running warm water, with a veggie scrubber, as I too am concerned about pesticides. And I hope the heat from cooking helps to annhilate (sp?) any bacteria. Thus far, after years and years of doing this, we've had no problems. I hope that continues to be true, as my family loves them so much.

• compumom
    14 years ago

Thanks Woodie! I've been too busy to read this thread, but apples are one of my favorite foods. Lots to copy and paste here too!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lpink, isn't that peeler fun? Of course, you completely ruined my surprise, I was looking for one on sale for you and you just beat me to it! That applesauce recipe sounds delicious, though.

Canning jam? My favorite apple jam is a recipe I got from Nancy, the original author of the Cookalongs, so it's very appropriate. I've made two double batches this year and I think I'm going to still run out. It takes no commercial pectin and you can double the batch without causing any problems. I love the stuff.

APPLE MAPLE JAM
    12 C finely chopped apples (about 6lbs) I used the food processor
    6 C sugar
    1 C Maple syrup (grade B if possible)
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Allspice
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg
    1/4 tsp cloves
    Combine all in a large deep pan. Slowly bring to a boil. Cook to the jellying point. Stir frequently, so it doesn't stick.Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 min in BWB.
    Yields about 8 half pints. I double this recipe and it works fine.

Those fried apples? I used to make them for the girls, they loved them on pancakes or hot biscuits, I never thought of adding them to oatmeal. Yum, thanks for the idea.

Annie

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some great recipes here... I'll be back later with some more..

Any other cooks who haven't had much time to post yet?

Nancy

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A couple of my favorites...

Apple Squares

2 cups flour
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup granulated sugar,divided
    1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 pkg 8oz cream cheese -- room temp.
    2 tbsps milk
    1 lg egg,beaten
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    3 1/2 cups chopped apples

Mix flour,brown sugar,1/2 cup reg sugar and cinnamon;cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.Stir in walnuts.Reserve 2 cups of the crumb mixture;press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan.
    Beat cream cheese and milk on medium speed until well blended.Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar,egg and vanilla;mix well.Pour over crust.Top with apples;sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
    Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.Chill, then cut into squares.

Apple Pie with Maple Syrup Prepared double crust for 9" pie 5 cups apples, peeled and sliced 3/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup 3 tablespoons cornstarch 1 egg 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) Maple granulated sugar (optional) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place apples in pie shell. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl, and pour over apples. Place top crust over filling, cut steam vents, and sprinkle with maple sugar (optional). Bake for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 25\-30 minutes. Yields: 8 servings. Nancy
  • lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I really wanted to make an apple pie this weekend but too many other things were on the priority list. I still have the apples in the fridge but they are going to have to wait another week.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Ci_lantro, I made the apple cobbler with cream cheese topping recipe you posted this week. Thought it would go well with our sub-zero temps! It's was very good. Thanks.
    I did make two changes: I didn't have rum, so I used brandy, and I put a pit of cardamom on the apple layer.

• denise8101214
    14 years ago

:) peace

Here is a link that might be useful: Other cook a long threads

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I don't know what I'm going to have time to do this weekend, but I think I'm going to make pancakes for breakfast, and top them with those fried-stewed apples. MMmmmmm, I just might go to bed now so I can get up and have those sooner, lol.

Sally

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Oh, thank you for letting me know that you liked the cobbler recipe, Bean. Kinda' new on this forum & I was a little nervous about posting a recipe so it's good to get positive feedback.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I did mara's "Fried Apples" for breakfast. They were delicious! I made Gingerbread Pancakes, which were close to a disaster, but luckily I had those apples to top the pancakes with. I think I got the griddle too hot, or something, but the pancakes burned on the outside and were raw on the inside. I'll start a different thread to ask about cooking pancakes, though. Anyway, we salvaged a few for a photograph. Jerry, my DH, is the photographer.

Sally

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Here's the recipe for the gingerbread pancakes, in case anyone is interested. It's from King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion.

Gingerbread Pancakes

1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour (I used about half and half white whole wheat and all-purpose)
    1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) yellow cornmeal
    2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ginger
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) chopped crystallized ginger (optional) (I used about half to 2/3 that amount, being stingy)
    2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) vegetable oil
    1/4 cup (3 ounces) molasses
    1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, sices, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and the crystallized ginger. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, molasses, buttermilk, and egg. Add liquids to dry ingredients all at once, stirring until just combined.

Preheat a griddle and lightly grease it. Drop the batter, 1/4 cup at a time, to make a 3 1/2-inch pancake. Cook until the edges look dry and some of the bubbles that come to the surface break. Turn the pancakes over to finish cooking, then remove them from griddle to a warm serving dish.

The cookbook recommends serving these with warm applsauce, sliced peaches, or warm custard sauce. They also suggest some lightly sweetened whipped cream as an enhancement. I think that would have been fabulous over those apples and gingerbread pancakes, and I would have gotten all my calories in for the week in that one meal, lol!

Sally

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sally, the Gingerbread Pancakes sound really good. Since I enjoy the combo of ginger and pears. In fact, my head is suggesting turning the idea into a dessert. I might try adding additional milk and an extra egg, making a thin batter, more like a crepe. As Mara noted, saute'd pears are also good and might be extra good with a gingerbread crepe...going to have to try it!

Well folks, all the recipes sound really good. I know I'll be trying many of them, thanks for all the work you did posting.

I'll be back in a few minutes, gotta make sure I have all your names in the hat... :) Nancy

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WoooooHooooo! Are you ready????

drum roll please..... The next CF'er to pick the *star* ingredient is:

Beanthere_Dunthat

Bean, if you would make a choice and post it here, I'll set up the next Cookalong. Thanks!!!

Nancy

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttt

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I like the way you're thinking, Nancy!

Sally

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttt Beenthere_Dunthat.... yoohoo where are you?

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Is anyone else having trouble getting a post reply through?

Nancy, I pick walnuts. :)

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good choice for this time of year! Thanks!!

I've set up the next Cookalong, here's the link..

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #17---------WALNUTS

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's funny that all the posts are here but only shows 2 or 3 posts on the main page..