SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda55_gw

Riverwalk Queso

brenda55
16 years ago

This recipe was in the SA paper several months ago and a reader had asked for this recipe from Rita's on the River because it was "the best queso we have ever eaten". I just recently fixed it and it was for us also the best queso. I changed the recipe somewhat for the heat impaired in my house and served the pica de gallo on top, which I really liked as it added the crunch with the creamy queso. I hope you enjoy as much as we did. I also halved the recipe and we still had enough left to serve over some soft tacos the next night.

Rita's Queso

3 lbs white American cheese

2 c. half and half

1 c. heavy cream

1 c. sour cream

1 c. salsa (your favorite recipe)

1-1/4 c. Pico de Gallo

1-1/2 T. Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or your favorite seasoning)

1 T Tabasco sauce

Pico de Gallo

2 c. ripe tomatoes, chopped

1/2 c. chopped onions*

2 T. minced fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles

2-3 T. chopped fresh cilantro

3 T. fresh lime juice

Salt and pepper to taste

For queso: cut white cheese into 1 to 2 inch cubes, set aside. Combine all ingredients, except cheese and Pico de Gallo in microwave-safe dish. Add cheese and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stop and stir and repeat twice; then reduce to 2 minutes until mixture is hot and well mixed. Recipe can be reduced by half or a third. *The recipe suggested a 1015 onion for the pico de gallo, but I used a white onion, since I had used a portion in the guacamole and that recipe called for rinsing the white onion in cold water to mellow it.

Pico de Gallo

Combine tomatoes, onions, chiles, salt, cilantro and lime juice in bowl. Let set for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Drain before placing on top of queso.

Food editor's notes: It can also be made in a slow cooker to keep it hot and to avoid a skin forming on the surface. You can adjust the heat level easily with salsa, pico de gallo and Tabasco.

Comments (22)

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Copied and pasted. Looks wonderful! Of course anything with cream and half and half should be good. LOL! Thanks for the recipe. I love this kind of food...so, I'll be making this the next time we have a free night of eat what you want.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Brenda,
    Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for a way to make really good queso at home. Melted velveeta & rotel is good, and traditional, but the stuff that I get in Mexican restaurants is so much better! I plan on trying this out soon.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Yum, thanks!

• trixietx
    16 years ago

Thank you, I have been making queso with just white american cheese, green chiles and heavy cream.

Your recipe sounds so good and I am going to give it a try!

• KathieT
    16 years ago

Brenda, thanks for posting. I can't wait to try this!

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Guess what I am making for football food on Sunday!

Alexa
    GO PATRIOTS!

• gnatm
    16 years ago

Hi! My name is Natalie and I am the one who originally requested this recipe from Rita's on the River. I highly recommend everyone trying this recipe. This will definitely be served at my house on Super Bowl Sunday! :-)

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

This is undoubtedly a very dumb question, but I'm clueless about the type cheese specified. Is there "white" Velveeta now that I've just never noticed?

sm

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hello Natalie - thanks for stopping in!

SteelMagnolia - I don't think that there is white Velveeta - but in my area we have 2 kinds of "American" cheese - white or yellow. I don't know if there is any taste difference but the color is different. American is different from Velveeta - I don't know how, but its not the same. All I know about the difference in color is that if you give a 3 year old white when she wants yellow cheese, she will cry and not eat her lunch :)

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up, woodie. I've always thought people meant the big "V" when they said American cheese. Hope I can find some because the recipe sounds really yummy.

sm

• gnatm
    16 years ago

The original recipe that I received from them said that the chef uses Land O'Lakes white american cheese. I found the cheese at Wal-Mart in the deli section. I'm sure any white american cheese would work just fine. Any store with a deli counter should have white american cheese. I hope this helps!

Natalie

• brenda55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natalie, sorry I missed your post about you were the one that requested this recipe from Rita's. That's too cool that you saw my post as I hadn't seen you post before, but I've been hit and miss for a while here. So, here is a great big thanks, this is our favorite queso and I hope to get it served Sunday. Also, welcome to the forum!

Steelmagnolia, I buy the white american from the deli at HEB, that way they can just cut me a piece the size/wt. I need.

Brenda

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

I have never liked American cheese at all. Too bland. However, I copied this recipe because I thought it might be something we like. I usually like cheddar for stuff like this cause it's got character. Would cheddar work for this? Or do you think it would be too stringy and rubbery? I want to try this.
    Sherry

• brenda55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sherry, I don't think cheddar would work, as I think you are right it would be too stringly. With all of the spices, such as the Pico de Gallo and salsa tabasco and seasoning, the blandness would probably be diminished. I really like this mixture of the crunch on top and the ability to limit or increase the spice both in the pico de gallo and the cheese mixture. I've considered using the same basic recipe but using a white Mexican cheese, which right now I can't think of the name of, but we have several choices here in SA. I'd be interested if you try another cheese your thoughts. I hope to be able to have this Sunday.

Brenda

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Brenda, I think I won't try another cheese. I think I will go with the recipe you posted because of your recommendation. It does sound good. Can't wait to try it.
    BTW, I was in San Antonio over Christmas. I really thought about trying to get in touch with you after Jessy told me you live there. but I wasn't feeling so good, and also thought you probably already had Christmas plans. We found a place where we want to winter in Corpus Christi, so if I retire (which I am contemplating) I will be down your way by Jan. 2008. I would LOVE to meet you then. I bet I could get May and Karen to meet with us too.
    Sherry

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

What about jack cheese? Would that work?

• brenda55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I haven't cooked enough with jack cheese, making sauces, etc., so I can't offer any advice there.

Sherry, I sent you an email about your visit to SA Christmas, via G-web before Christmas, but perhaps you didn't get it as I thought maybe you could meet up and an invitation to our house for the holidays. I am so sorry you weren't feeling well. I bet we could coerce Karen and May to meet us. Are you talking now or in a year when you will be in Corpus?

Brenda

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Brenda, it would be in a year.
    I am so sorry that we did not get together. It would have been fun. I am ready to meet a new (to me)forum person. I love San Antonio. We went there in 1996 and I loved it then too.
    Brenda, I do not get gardenweb mail, but if I end up retiring sooner than I thought, I will be going back and I will get together with you then.:-)
    Sherry

• femmelady
    16 years ago

Sigh. I LOVE queso. I'm going to try this, perhaps with Jack cheese. I've seen it used in Emeril and other's queso recipes, so I think it's used a lot. Thanks for posting! Perhaps it's time for a whole Mexican Fiesta! Tamales and all!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I have a baby crockpot - it's the cutest thing. Anyway this recipe looks like the perfect filling for my baby, thanks!

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

I made the Queso last night with guacamole and beef enchiladas. (By the way, I didn't tell my dh it was white American cheese in the recipe since there are some things he'd really rather not know.) Next time I'm making this with some Queso Blanco I have in the fridge that needs to be used. Thanks for sharing this. It's delicious, and the recipe is a definite keeper!

• brenda55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire, I'm glad you liked the recipe as much as we did. I'd appreciate your thoughts when you make it with the Queso blanco, too, as I would like to try that too.

Brenda