Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this recipe freeze well?

Posted by laceyvail (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 6:26

I want to make meatballs that I can freeze and take out a few at a time to use in various recipes. Will this recipe freeze well, and if so, what's the best way to freeze them and then defrost them. And what is "fresh" ricotta? Is it different from the ricotta I buy in a container?

2 lbs ground beef
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground fennel
1/2 c. dried bread crumbs
1/4 c. parsley
1/ tsp oregano
1 c. fresh ricotta cheese
2 eggs.

Mix all ingredients. Roll into golf-ball size balls, packing firmly. Place in greased 9 x 13 baking dish so they're touching. Bake 20 mins.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this recipe freeze well?

I would guess that "fresh" ricotta means recently made ricotta as opposed to manufacturer-made ricotta? Maybe there is an Italian deli near you that makes their own ricotta?

I think the meatballs will freeze just fine but might be more moist than a recipe w/o the ricotta cheese - don't know for sure as I have never made meatballs with a soft cheese in the ingredients. I do make and freeze meatballs all the time.

You might want to freeze these in hard-sided plastic containers rather than bags as these may be softer meatballs than most.

I would use foil or parchment paper to line the baking sheet - less chance they will stick to the pan.

Teresa

o

They'll freeze just fine. I'd recommend after baking, putting them on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan, spaced out so they're not touching, and popping that into the freezer until they're solid, then put them in your ziploc bags or containers. That way, they won't stick together and they'll be easier to use. I generally package them in meal-sized quantities (4-6 for the 2 of us, depending upon how big the meatballs are) in smaller ziplocks, then put those in a large ziplock to keep them together. That way, I can send DH to the basement for a bag of them for dinner, and it's easy for him.

o

They'll freeze just fine. I'd recommend after baking, putting them on a parchment-lined jelly roll pan, spaced out so they're not touching, and popping that into the freezer until they're solid, then put them in your ziploc bags or containers. That way, they won't stick together and they'll be easier to use. I generally package them in meal-sized quantities (4-6 for the 2 of us, depending upon how big the meatballs are) in smaller ziplocks, then put those in a large ziplock to keep them together. That way, I can send DH to the basement for a bag of them for dinner, and it's easy for him.

o

Thanks for the advice. No little Italian groceries here in rural WV, so I guess I'll have to use the storebought.

o

Fresh ricotta refers to a batch that is made at home and not commercially. Dead easy to make and we just had a thread about it. I think it was titled "Is it really that easy?"

o

Drain the store-bought ricotta before you use it in the meatballs. Fresh ricotta from the Italian deli is much drier. It stands up, a short wide cylinder, draining all the time. It's still a wet cheese, but not like the stuff in the plastic container at the supermarket.

I'd test this for freezing before making a whole lot. Frozen cheese may change texture enough to matter, or it may not.
Standard meatballs without ricotta freeze very well.

o

Fresh ricotta means the kind sold in the cottage cheese container vs. ricotta salata which is a salted harder cheese that is often shredded.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ricotta salada

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here