SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Can i make a tart filling as a cake?

laceyvail 6A, WV
10 years ago

This comes from the Dec. Cooks Illustrated. I would like to make this for a friend who is gluten intolerant and am wondering if I could just skip the tart crust and make this as a cake. The filling recipe:
1 1/4 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder (don't plan to use this)
1/4 tsp salt
9 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
4 Tbs. butter, cut into thin slices and softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten, room temp

Heat oven to 250 degrees. pring cream, espresso powder, and salt to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Place chocolate in large heatproof bowl. Pour simmering cream mix over chocolate, cover and let stand for 5 mins to allow chocolate to soften. using whisk, stir mixture slowly and gently until homogeneous. Add butter and continue to whisk gently until fully incorporated. Pour eggs through fine mesh strainer into chcolate mixture; whisk slowly until mix is homogenous and glossy. Pour into tart crust and shake gently from side to side to distribute and smooth surface; pop any large bubbles. Bake tart, on baking sheet, until outer edge of filling is just set and very faint cracks appear on surface, 30-35 mins, filling will still be very wobbly. Let cool completely on sheet on wire rack. Refigerate, uncovered, until filling is chilled and set, at least 3 hours and up to 18.

Then there is a ganache glaze.

So, can I make this as a cake? Many thanks for your replies.

Comment (1)