Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silicone funnel + baggie - as piping bag?

Posted by jally (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 4:37

I don't own a silicone funnel, but to anyone who does - do you know if it could work as a piping bag icing applicator?

i.e. by snipping the corner of a food-storage bag, then inserting the snipped corner into the funnel, until it aligns with the funnel's exit, then drape the mouth of the food bag over the mouth of the funnel & secure with clips.

Sorta like a crock pot liner, except in this case, the food bag is the disposable piping bag within the funnel, which acts as a stabilizer.

Goal: To achieve these types of cookies:

icing in the middle cookies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silicone funnel + baggie - as piping bag?

You don't need the funnel. Just get freezer baggies and put one in a glass with the top folded down so that a corner of the bag is ready to be filled. Just snip a small corner and you will be good to go. The trick is to have the frosting at room temp so that it flows evenly and doesn't clog.

You can always give the cookies, when filled, a slight shake back and forth on a flat surface to even out the filling.

Jo

o

I agree with jojoco I always use freezer baggies and snip off the corner.
If you have decorating tip you can even put one of those in the corner of the bag.

Linda

o

Unless you want some FANCY design of stuff squeezed from bag, just use bag. This is what I do when making a messa deviled eggs. If I'm taking them somewhere, they go "with somoe assembly required". Yolk mixture in zip bag, just snip off a corner and squeeze into whites. Not realy fancy but nicer looking than using a spoon.

o

Uh, see, the reason i'd posted this, was because I had previously tried using a plastic sandwich baggie to squeeze out a glaze onto the center of brown sugar cookies, but found my hand & wrist killing me after awhile, because it was very hard to control the squeezing on such a floppy bag.

Which is why I asked my Q, because I saw some silicone funnels at a local store, in a set of three. Granted those funnels are rather small, and not a perfect cone shape, but it seems more commonplace (and cheaper) to find silicone funnels, than to find those Fat-Daddio silicone piping bags.

BTW, I don't own a piping tip. As for fashioning parchment paper into a cone, that's a nuisance, and I think my idea (if it works) may be better.

So do any of you own silicone funnels, to try it out & let me know? I'd appreciate it.

o

I suspect the funnel would work, although you might not be able to get out the last little bit. Piping tips can also be used in a ziploc. They are cheap
and you can find them at party city, some grocery stores, etc. I think the best temperature depends on the icing. Whipped cream icing needs to be well chilled, for example.

o

There is an easy and cheap way. Don't buy anything yet.

I will try to post after I come back from work.

dcarch

o

You can make a cone of parchment paper which is easier to control than the plastic baggie.....and also has the advantage or being easy to save extra frosting by opening the bag, laying it flat again and scraping out the unused frosting.
And it's not so "floppy" as the plastic bag....
The video below shows how to do it easily....pretty much cut a triangle, roll it up and fold down the top.\
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: paper cone

o

I always make a huge mess with the snipped bag and tip or parchment cone. I tend to leave fussy decorating to someone else.

Alice wanted this set in the link. She likes it. I haven't tried it but the words "Great for kids!" make me think I could handle this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorator Bottle Set

o

hey, those decorator bottles look so cute - though they'd be overkill for me, and don't have a demo of how to use them or how to wash them.

Re: parchment, i had already dismissed that in my previous post.

I don't have a Party City convenient to me, nor a car to get there (my choice, cuz maintaining this difficult house is hard enough without car issues added).

Re: silicone funnel, the lower elongated part can be snipped off [or partially] to offer easier access for the corner of plastic baggie to emerge. ...so, shall i assume nobody here has those silicone funnels to experiment with a Baggie-As-Liner-Secured-With-Clips? (or that such an experiment doesn't have appeal)

o

Here is what I do.

Just find some tubes, I use old expired pens. Tie the bag to the tube with a rubber band. Squeeze away.

You can make interesting designs by shaping the plastic tube in boiling water, then run it undercold water.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

dcarch, that is SO interesting!

I'll have to rummage round the house for tubes (hopefully non toxic ones!)

Thing is, I would probably hack them off more, to resemble the short size of piping tips, otherwise alot of glaze would remain wasted inside the longer tubes.

I have these orange, yellow & green Fixwell knives (see Google Images) that are so wonderful, i'm literally able to use them as mini saws, and use them for practically everything. Or i can use my heavy NiCad reciprocating saw.

With all that, wouldn't silicone still be easier/firmer to control than floppy plastic, and therefore easier on my wrists, don't you think?

o

I actually saw this on one of the forums but; can't remember which one, scroll down for video. Tried this yesterday for deviled eggs it worked great!
Thought about those of you who make cookies and such. If it was posted here already, I apologize,

maid

Here is a link that might be useful: No clean up

o

Not sure why, but the video didn't work at my end. YouTube video's do work.

o
oops

oops, by mistake i clicked on the 1st pic. instead of the actual video which was further down. I realized that after posting the above.

But my question re: use of silicone funnel is separate & apart from Karen's Kitchen using plastic wrap as liner for piping bag.

Granted, the idea for baggie-as-liner is similar to Karen's plastic wrap as liner, but her's is still a piping bag, not a silicone funnel.

o

Gee Jally I am so sorry, guess I should have posted this on a separate thread. I just don't get the with the vibe in this forum. mea culpa!

maid

o

so, shall i assume nobody here has those silicone funnels to experiment with a Baggie-As-Liner-Secured-With-Clips? (or that such an experiment doesn't have appeal)

Probably a good assumption. More importantly, even if we tried it, it would be tough to tell if it would help your wrist pain unless we had a good understanding of your wrist pain. My wrists bother me a lot (can't do push-ups, knead dough, etc.) but I've never noticed pain while squeezing a piping bag. Even if I did I'm not sure why squeezing a firmer object would be less painful. The fact that no one thus far has particularly addressed the funnel aspect of your idea leaves me guessing that like me they don't have - or understand - your problem.

So why don't you try it yourself and report back? You say yourself that silicone funnels are cheaper than Fat Daddio piping bags, and those are under ten bucks. So what have you got to lose? Worst case, you have a new funnel. Unless you're like me and can't stand silicone anything in your kitchen, it likely won't go to waste. Good luck!

o

well, i guess that wraps up this thread.

o

Jally, it's a shame no one here
Was able (or willing) to answer your question.

I don't have a silicone funnel,
Nor have I ever seen one in a store.
(Probably because I've never looked for one)

But I can understand your difficulty
Using a sandwich bag for piping.
It does get pretty hard on the hands & wrists,
In a very short time.
Which is why I never pipe anything!

But your idea sounds very 'workable' to me.
If you try it,
Please let us know if it works for you.

In the mean time,
I will be watching for silicone funnels,
So I can try it myself.

Thanks for sharing your idea!

Rusty

o

If you do find one to try it, you're welcome to post your experience here, too, and thanks for understanding re: the wrist issues :)
(i'm fibromyalgic.

...if they'd ever come in a non-triplicate pack, i might try it if the price is right, since after all, it's just experimental.

o

Posted by therustyone (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 10:54

Jally, it's a shame no one here
Was able (or willing) to answer your question.

Seems to me that many took the time to respond to Jally's question.

Jally, I find once the filling is in the bag, and the bag is twisted to force out any air and push the filling to the bottom of the bag that it is no longer "floppy". You do need to keep twisting though as the filling is squeezed out. I guess this could also be a problem for you though depending on the pain in your wrist.

I'm trying to imagine using a silicone funnel for this purpose and, like Foodonastump I think it might be more difficult to squeeze the funnel than the plastic.
When I'm out today if I see a silicone funnel I'll pick one up and experiment.

Ann

o

The Pampered Chef decorator bottles come with a cleaning brush and an instruction booklet. I think the means of holding and squeezing may cause less wrist strain than trying to manage a funnel and bag. The icing pushes itself out the back end of an open bag with a tip or funnel. These little bottles squeeze with a thumb from the back end and could probably easily be used with two hands. They are gadgety, typical of Pampered Chef. Sometimes they come up with a good idea. This is one of those.

o

Thanks for offering Ann, though really you don't have to buy one unless you're interested yourself. btw, if it doesn't work with the long tube at bottom of funnel, i guess that could be cut, with corner of baggie extending thru the cut hole.

maybe someone should invent something that can double as both a silicone funnel, as well as a Fat-Daddio type piping bag! I bet then alot more people would buy silicone funnels, if they knew it could be used as a piping bag too, don't you think?

If i should ever try glazing with a plastic bag again, which brand plastic bag is heaviest duty quality - so i can look out for same in store flyers?

Again, those Pampered Chef bottles look great - hey genie, please conjure them up so i find them under my pillow tomorrow.
;)

o

Top of the thread - right off the bat, suggestions from jojoco and lyndaluu and even in dcarch's picture - freezer bags, not the thinner sandwich bags you have been using. I bet you could double them up for better stability.

o

Jally, I checked local stores while I was out yesterday,
No silicon funnels in this town.
So no help from here.

ann-t, I am very aware that many responded
to Jally's post.
But 'responding' and actually ANSWERING the question
Can be two entirely different things,
At least in my book.

Rusty

o

Careful Rusty, before you're accused of being "lawyerly", LOL!

Jally - From the start I've not been 100% clear on your idea. Are you figuring on pushing the bag into the funnel, or are you thinking sqeeze the funnel? I've got a couple ideas, but I'm not sure if I'm headed down the right path for you.

o

I looked at silicone funnels online, none of the ones I saw looked suitable. What does the funnel you are thinking of look like? A link would be helpful.

o

Rusty, you didn't just express disappointment for Jally, that no one had been able to help her with regards to the funnel idea. But you implied with your "or Willing" that people were unwilling to help her. And that wasn't the case. Many offered helpful suggestions.

Most of our members go out of their way to be helpful. So if meant to imply otherwise than that was not very nice of you.

o

Uh, re: the above controversy, since i'm the OP, i guess i should stick in my 2 cents. I believe everyone made their point, and i do appreciate all your viewpoints and suggestions and I'd further appreciate if nobody held anything against each other on my account. Thanks!

Re: pic of the silicone funnels, they look like the Norpro 3-piece set on Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestions re: freezer bags. I don't usually stock them, rather just regular baggies & food bags.

So I've been rethinking my aversion to the parchment tubes, after finally finding a quick & concise tutorial on YouTube (see below link).

In fact, i just made one out of a quadruple layer of parchment. I also stuck in a plastic food bag as a liner, awaiting the next time i make cookies, to see how it works out.

btw, after rummaging, couldn't find any of dcarch's [blue] marker tubes to experiment with. I'll be on the lookout, though, because i'd like to stick one of those inside the aforesaid food bag liner.

Here is a link that might be useful: parchment cone tutorial - you tube

o

jally, some of the cooks and chefs on this Forum are more passionate about cooking than Gordon Ramsey. Don't let that bother you.

Here is another suggest for you and anyone else who has issues with doing this by hand.

you can try using a cordless caulking gun such as the one linked below.

Some may be less expensive than that one.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: caulking gun

o

not relevant to the original question and brings up food safety concerns...

o

The suggestion of gallon freezer bags is a good one. They are sturdier than similarly sized "food storage bags." Locally the unit price is 17 cents. Not even worth a mention in the thank-you note if you got one in the mail filled with rice!

o

Actually, square bags work, but the shape makes it somewhat clumsy. I know, most people would not be as nutty as I am in doing things. I cut the bag at an angle and use a torch to heat seal the cut. The bag would be in perfect shape for squeezing.

FOAS, you have a very generous friend, a gallon bag means ten pounds of rice!

dcarch

o

Oh no, no, no, dcarch, I didn't mean to imply I ever received a gallon of rice in the mail. I said "if"!

I see no need to seal the bag into a triangular shape. No matter what, you need to squeeze the contents "spoutward" so who cares what empty shape remains above. Twist the bag and crimp it with twine or a rubber band if you must. Same overall effect, unless your goal is to impress your guests with the drama of a blowtorch and the smell of melting plastic.

o

Dcarch, et al: My only concern about your suggestion of using the plastic pen barrels, if I understood you correctly, is that they are not made of "food-grade" plastic, I'm willing to bet. Normally, it's not good for food to make contact like that within a typical plastic item (lots of potential "plastisizers" and unknown chemicals), even though brief. You would prob. know that better than me!

o

arlinek,

I understand what you are talking about. Chemical reaction has to do with many factors:

1. Temperature - at high temperature, chemical reaction speeds up. For cake icing, it is always at very low temperature.

2. Duration - You should not keep food in non-food grade material for many days. Icing in the tube stays there only for a few minutes.

3. Surface area of contact - The contact area of icing with the plastic is very small.

4. Movement - agitation speeds up chemical contact. Very little agitation is involved with the icing.

5. non-food grade does not mean it is poisonous.

6. Quantity of consumption - It depends on how much and how often you eat icing.

Absolutely, if you don't feel comfortable, you should not do it.

dcarch

o

Because this is a public forum Arlinek brings up a very good point, all of our posts need to be 100% food safe.
One never knows who is reading.

o

actually, i did make a comment above re: "hopefully non-toxic ones" - so i'm already aware of it.

But dcarch is correct about it not having to be food grade (as long as it's free of toxic ink).

For example, if you scroll down to the SP180 filter in the below link, you'll see the Sawyer filter company states you can affix their adapter kit to "any bucket". Meaning - it doesn't have to be food grade, since it's only transitory, and it's only water.

dcarch's use is for icing, not water, but that's OK too in my opinion, since neither water nor frosting is "sharp" such as lemon, vinegar or onions.

Here is a link that might be useful: SP180 Sawyer filter kit - affix to ANY bucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here