SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Soup exchange party. Ideas anyone?!!

theresse
10 years ago

Hello -

This friend of mine does a soup exchange party each year. You make a big batch of soup, take it to the party then come home with a bunch of different soups to eat and freeze as you like.

I was going to do ginger carrot but someone else is doing it. Then I thought I'd do a butternut squash soup but hello - someone's doing that too!

Now I just want a bunch of ideas! Last year she said everyone brought lentil soup which is funny (don't see that's taken yet this year) - oh and a white bean is taken as well.

Anything you love enough to share or recommend? Thanks!

Comments (23)

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would suggest PA Dutch Chicken Corn Soup, delicious, easy, and this recipe makes a lot of soup!

PA Dutch Chicken Corn Soup

1 3-4 lb. chicken
    1 onion chopped
    1 rib celery w/ leaves, chopped
    4 qts. water
    2 cups or more fresh corn off cob or 1 10 oz. package frozen corn
    2 hard boiled eggs
    salt and pepper

dumplings:
    1 cup flour
    1 egg
    milk to make a soft dough to roll out, cut small dumplings 1/2 inch or so in size (not large dumplings)

Cook chicken, onion, celery, s&p, in water until done. Remove, cool and take meat from skin and bones. Add corn to pot and simmer. Add in dumplings and simmer until done. Return chicken to pot and add chopped eggs. Serve hot garnished with parsley if desired.

Enjoy!
    Teresa

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I'm holding my 2nd annual soup swap on national soup swap day which is January 25, 2014. I started planning it now as people were already asking about it.

I have everyone tell me ahead of time what they are bringing and I share that with the others. So far the soups are pasta fagoili, chicken chowder, cauliflower, italian veg., lentil, mexican meatball. Last year we had chicken noodle, stuffed pepper, potato, black bean, can't remember the rest.

I suggest to my guests that they try a recipe first to make sure it freezes well. I have everyone bring the soup already frozen in 1qt containers. One person used a ziplock bag but one bag got punctured so for this year I suggested double bag if you really want to bag it. If not use (non returned) disposable plastic containers.

I love soup swaps! I wish others would have them and invite me.

• Related Discussions

KIA: Soup exchange

Q

Comments (3)
    Trailrunner, I'd love to hear more about your soup and bread dinners. Is the idea in the book, the 1st or 2nd? I'll try to the get books at our library. We are also thinking of a soup swap at church. Maybe asking for everyone to donate one of their quarts, that could be given to those in need, elderly, or just anyone who needs some homemade soup to lift their spirits. Donaleen, one of the best smells is soup cooking. I think that could be a staging technique. Put a pot of soup on the stove on simmer. I wanted to take more photos but everyone was concerned about presentation. Next time I'll just snap away.
    ...See More

All-holiday party recipe ideas please!

Q

Comments (8)
    You could have a big platter of fresh sliced cantaloupe and watermelon, heart-shaped cookies, sweet potato casserole or candied yams, cranberry congealed salad and of course, a birthday cake. This pineapple casserole is delicious with ham: Pineapple Cheese Casserole Yields: 12 servings "Pineapple chunks baked with Cheddar cheese, and topped with a buttery cracker crust." 3 (15 ounce) cans pineapple chunks 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese 8 tablespoons pineapple juice 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 30 buttery round crackers, crushed (Ritz crackers) 1/2 cup butter, sliced 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2. In a large bowl combine pineapple chunks, cheese, pineapple juice, flour and sugar. Spoon into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with crushed crackers and butter slices. 3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
    ...See More

Place your vote for the 'Soup Party' !!! FUN!

Q

Comments (67)
    Eileen, Fantastic idea for a party!!! You've inspired me to have one of my own. Plus I will actually get to enjoy the party instead of "making sure everyone else is getting what THEY need!".. I'm a big soup maker so it's hard to pare this down. I won't put them in order since it's all a tie but... Pasta E Fagioli Chicken corn chowder split pea w/ ham tortilla soup Maybe we'll all get some good soup recipes we DON'T have out of this thread. Yeah for fall weather!! Have a fantastic party. Question: Do you make any of your soups in advance and in what order, if you did, would you make them? You've got my mind thinking now :)
    ...See More

Cookie Exchange Party - Ideas?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have done a HUGE Christmas party for years that centers around a cookie exchange. My word of warning--it is so fun that no one will ever stop insisting you give it! My kids feel it is the centerpiece of the Christmas season, and I start getting questions about when it will be starting before Thanksgiving. We invite well over 100 people (families). We ask people to bring "a plate" of cookies to share. I make a lot of extra cookies--my top pleaser with the kids are Rice Krispie bars wrapped with fruit rollup to look like little presents. I also make coconut macaroons out of Silver Palate (dead easy) and dip them in chocolate so they look fancy. I have a number of other easy recipes as well. I make two huge pots of soup--a Moroccan soup and pumpkin-peanut soup (wouldn't work for you, obviously), buy a ham and rolls, and provide a few other food items. I also have drinks plus mulled wine and hot cider. My top lessons learned: --soup is hugely popular. --have paper plates and foil available and people take home cookies on that, or on the plate they brought --people are often really intimidated by baking. If they express any reservations, I tell them not to bring anything. I always have plenty. --I end up with all of the cookies that nobody wants. I gave myself permission a few years ago to just throw out anything I didn't think we would eat. Otherwise, it got depressing with the rock hard gingerbread, my sweet neighbor's tasteless cookies with candied fruit, and the occasional bag of Chips Ahoy. --I don't ask for an RSVP because I don't get them anyway--and if I don't ask, I don't need to sweat it. There are always plenty of cookies if we run out of other stuff.
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Here is another one I can vouch for; my friend Cathy brings it whenever we have a Soup Lunch charity fundraiser here at my office.

Pizza Soup

1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
    2 cloves garlic
    1 medium onion, chopped
    4 oz Pepperoni slices, cut into small pieces or mini pepperoni slices
    1 can Rotel 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes with Chilies
    1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes
    1 15 oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
    1 15 oz can Light Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
    1 16 oz can/jar Pizza Sauce
    4 t Chili Powder
    1/8 t Pepper
    1/2 t salt

1.Brown sausage with garlic and onion.
    2.Drain well and place in crock pot.
    3.Add remaining ingredients and stir.
    4.Cook on low for 4-6 hours or simmer in pot on stove one hour.

Teresa

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think I've posted this one before but have made it many times. It's a hearty soup great for cold weather and is fine for freezing.

IRISH BEEF AND VEGETABLE SOUP - 8 servings

2 Tbs. vegetable oil or bacon grease
    2 lbs. trimmed beef chuck, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
    Salt and pepper
    2 onions, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
    2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
    1/2 small head of green cabbage, cut into 3/4 inch chunks (about 4 cups)
    1 (16 oz.) can stewed tomatoes with their juice
    2/3 cup dried green split peas
    2/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained (not quick-cooking kind)
    10 cups beef stock, preferably homemade + extra if needed
    1/2 tsp. caraway seeds

In a 5 1/2 quart Dutch oven or stew pot, heat fat until sizzling. Lightly season beef cubes with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat until meat is browned and seared on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.

To the drippings in the pot, add onions, garlic, parsnips, turnips and cabbage. Cook the vegetables over medium heat until they begin to lightly brown, about 15 minutes. Return the meat and any juices to the pan.

Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat, covered, for 2 to 3 hours. Be sure to check the soup every now and then and stir to prevent sticking and add more beef broth if needed. Adjust seasonings with additional salt and pepper if needed.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I think it is a good idea to use qrt deli containers and bring already frozen.
    I'm assembling soup today for tonights dinner and the freezer. It is our 'liquid gold' so i would never swap it, lol. It is a hearty chicken and sausage soup with harvest veggies and greens, wild rice and beans. But also very brothy.
    Always a slight variation using what i have, so no recipe. Starts with two roasted chickens, 1/2 for dinner that night, then picked off meat and stock made.
    Rice is made and chilled in fridge, greens and parsley washed and prepped yesterday. Sausage is cooked, cut into small meatball size and chilled.

A good basic trick to freezing soups is to make your basic saute veggies, onion, clelery, carrot, small diced potato, chopped tomato, some herbs...add stock and simmer.

Line up your freezer containers when your 'stock' base soup is off heat and resting.
    Add cold ingredients, already cooked, in equal portions to each container, stuff in chopped un-cooked greens, parsley, fresh herbs, cooked and chilled rice and beans...laddle your warm, not too hot, soup broth to cover. Your greens will soften a bit. All your containers will have equal amounts. Freezes great and everything is cooked but not over-cooked and mushy. Re-heating will cook everything perfectly. A good restaurant chef will assemble ingredients last minute into a good veg soup base.

I'm still debating about adding a bit of potato and roasted corn, but might just make two different soups and stick blend some of the base stock with corn for a chowder. And no meat.
    We had our last qrt of summer corn chowder last weekend and it was delish. Maybe i'll roast one of those strange squash/pumpkins for the chowder...
    I just blend half for richness and leave half for chunky.

Pureed soups are good and a bit easier, but when it is cold and the power is out, or the flu or feeling just blah, i reach for a warm broth, meaty veggies, a meal in a bowl with toasted bread slices. Purees are not my first choice when i dig in the freezer in late January. (-i need to make a pot of chili to freeze, lol.)

That was not much help, haha. Not even a recipe. Oh well. I suppose the point was...if you choose a meaty soup, freeze with some fresh ingredients in the containers so it re-heats well.

• John Liu
    10 years ago

Elephant's Deli Mama Leone soup is a favorite here.

You can taste a cup at the nearest Elephants to see if you'd like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe

• azzalea
    10 years ago

If you want something different, what about Philly cheesesteak soup?

Saute strips of sandwich steak (tissue thin sliced round), onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, until tender. Add equal parts of medium white sauce and chicken broth. Season to taste. Just before serving, stir in your favorite cheese for a cheesesteak (american, provolone or the traditional Whiz). Serve with Garlic toasted Italian bread to float in the soup.

• Lars
    10 years ago

This soup has a lot of ingredients, but it is really easy and freezes well:

Minestrone Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup minced white onion (about 1/2 small onion)
    1/3 cup minced celery (about 1 stalk)
    2 chopped zucchinis, chopped
    2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
    2 cups water or vegetable broth
    3/4 tsp salt (if broth is not salty)
    1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or whole tomatoes puréed in can)
    1/4 cup carrots, shredded
    2-4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 to 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable soup broth
    3/4 tsp salt (if broth is not salted)
    2/3 cup small shell pasta (orecchiette, or similar)
    1-3/4 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained*
    1-3/4 cups cooked small white beans or great northern beans, drained*
    2 cups fresh or frozen baby spinach (optional)
    2 tbsp tomato paste or 1 tbsp tomato powder
    salt, to taste, if needed

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.

Sauté onion and celery in the oil for 4-5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent. Add the zucchini and garlic and sauté a couple of minutes more.

Add vegetable broth to pot, plus tomatoes, carrot, and spices. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

Add additional 1 cup hot water/vegetable broth (more, if needed), pasta, beans, spinach leaves (if desired), and tomato paste, and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency. Less water will be needed if the spinach is used. Add salt to taste, if you are not using soup base. Use more parsley if you are not adding spinach.

*Note: I use 7/8 cup of each dried bean to yield the amount needed and cook the beans earlier in the day or the day before in plain water with a couple of bay leaves. Lately I have been using the pressure cooker to cook them, which is really fast. Alternatively, canned beans can be used (14 oz can each), drained and rinsed, but I have not tried this.

Lars

This post was edited by publickman on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 15:09

• malna
    10 years ago

This one is delicious and freezes very well.

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup
    Source: Harvest Forum (brokenbar)

2 sweet red peppers
    6 cups tomatoes, chopped (2 - 28 oz. cans, undrained)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cloves garlic
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 yellow Bell Pepper cut into rings (garnish)
    Sour Cream (garnish)

Grill the peppers, turning frequently, until blackened all over. Peel off the skin. Gently wipe or scrape off any remaining black stuff from the outside. Cut open and discard seeds and white insides. Do not wash as this will flush away much of the flavour.

Puree peppers and tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
    Strain out seeds. I use my own jars of tomato sauce that have no seeds.
    Place pepper/tomato mixture in a saucepan.
    Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients except butter.
    Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.
    Remove from heat. Set pan in ice water and gradually whisk in butter.
    Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, heat gently, garnish with yellow bell pepper ring with a dollop of sour cream inside ring and serve. Note: This soup is quite mild.

My notes: I use canned roasted red pepper when I can't get fresh ones. It's worth the overnight wait, as the flavor improves 1000%. I quadruple this for a freezer batch.

• cooking2day
    10 years ago

All of the above soups sound very good!

We really like this soup. If my dh had to choose a fave, and he's thankful he doesn't because he loves his soups, this would be it. (My sister served it recently to a group of 20 people and 19 of them said it became instantly their all-time favorite soup.) It's wonderful the next day, too.

If we're eating it immediately, I often thicken with a little beurre manie; if it sits a bit first, the starch from the pasta thickens it enough. I usually use Swiss chard or kale, and often a lean ground pork instead of beef. So this is the gist of it:

Italian Wedding Soup

2 tablespoons oil
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 rib celery, chopped
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 pound ground beef
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt; pepper to taste
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano
    1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

6 cups chicken broth
    2 cups water

1 1/2 cups dried smallish pasta; if I use orzo, I use about 3/4 cup

1 pound fresh chopped or torn greens, chard/kale/spinach; I've even used mustard greens; I don't really measure this.

1 egg, beaten

In a pot, heat oil, carrots, celery and onions and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook veggies are tender. Add a little liquid if necessary.

While this cooks, make meatballs by combining meat, egg, garlic, grated cheese, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Uncover your soup pot and add broth and water to the pot. Increase heat to high and bring soup to an easy boil.

Start rolling meat mixture into small balls, dropping them straight into the pot. You are making meat dumplings that will cook in the broth.

When you are done rolling the meat, add pasta to the soup and stir. Cover and simmer the soup several minutes and then add chard or green of your choice. Cook until it is wilted the way you like it.

At the very end, beat an egg with a fork and pour it in a thin steam (or through a fork) into the simmering soup.

Remove from heat.

It can easily be doubled or tripled.

Edited to add: I wasn't thinking about the freezer part of your request. Not sure this would freeze well. But it's really good for another time, maybe. :)

This post was edited by cooking2day on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 9:33

• party_music50
    10 years ago

I made Emeril Lagasse's Potato & Leek soup for a get-together last year and it was a big hit. I made subtle adjustments for my tastes and I didn't puree it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato & Leek soup

• sheshebop
    10 years ago

I created a soup cookbook for cooking forum people some years back using my favorite and many of the favorites here. If you like, I could send it to you, if I had your email.
    Sherry

• doucanoe
    10 years ago

Here are a couple from my collection that would freeze well. I do a Soup party and bonfire every fall so I have made a bazillion different soup recipes!

Tomato Basil Soup
    (Inspired by Carol’s Restaurant, Blaine MN)

1 Tsp olive Oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 28oz can Muir Glen Whole peeled tomatoes
    1 28oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Basil
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    Pepper
    2 tsp sugar
    1-1/2 c chicken stock
    2 T tomato paste
    1/4 c chopped fresh basil
    1/3 c fresh grated parmesan
    2T dry red wine

Heat olive oil in large dutch oven, saute onion 1 minute or until tender.
    With fingers, squish whole tomatoes until chunky. Add both cans of tomatoes to onions, bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, sugar, chicken stock and tomato paste. Simmer for 7-10 minutes. Add basil, parmesan and wine, cook until heated through.

Hearty Harvest Soup
    Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients

8 ounces Fresh Italian Sausage, casings removed
    1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
    2 cans (14.5 ounce each) Chicken Broth
    1 can (14.5 ounce) Diced Tomatoes with
    Roasted Garlic, undrained
    1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
    1 bag (9 ounces) baby spinach leaves

Directions

1.Brown sausage with onions in large saucepan over
    medium-high heat, stirring frequently to crumble
    sausage; drain.
    2.Add broth, tomatoes with their liquid and the
    beans; mix well. Cook 5 minutes, stirring
    occasionally.
    3.Stir in spinach; cover saucepan with lid. Cook 5
    minutes, or just until spinach is wilted, stirring
    occasionally.

Sherried Brie and Mushroom Soup
    Makes 8 cups

1 pound Brie cheese
    2 cups dry sherry
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup minced shallots
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tablespoons flour
    4 cups low-sodium beef broth
    1 3/4 cups half and half
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh chives, for garnish
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Trim the rind from the brie and then roughly tear it into 2-inch pieces. (It is easy to trim if you first place the cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes or until it is sufficiently hard.) Set aside.
    In a small saucepan, reduce the sherry over medium-high heat to 1 cup. Set aside.

in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and lemon juice and cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, add the flour, and stir until the flour is fully incorporated.

Return the mixture to heat and add the beef broth and reserved sherry. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
    Add the trimmed Brie, stirring until the cheese has melted. Add the half and half and pepper and continue to simmer without boiling for 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.

To serve, ladle the soup into separate bowls and garnish each with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the chives.

Mushroom, Barley and Beef Soup
    From "Living the GI Diet" by Rick Gallop
    4-6 servings

1 T canola oil
    8oz lean ground beef (I used a small piece of a beef roast and cut it into small cubes).
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb mushrooms, sliced
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1T fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
    2 T tomato paste
    1 T balsamic vinegar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    4 c beef broth (low-fat, low-sodium)
    3 c water
    1/2 c barley
    1 bay leaf
    1 can (15oz) black beans, drained & rinsed

Heat oil in large deep pot over medium high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring, until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, fo 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrot, celery and thyme and cook until all the liquid has evaporated from the mushrooms, about 15 minutes.

Add tomato paste, vinegar, salt & pepper, stir to coat vegetables.Add the broth, water, barley and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Add the beans and heat through. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Chicken option: You can use ground chicken or turkey for the beef and use chicken broth instead of beef broth.

Linda

• livvyandbella
    10 years ago

When you have a soup exchange, what type of bowls do you use? Do you have small cups, or something special to put them in?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

livvyandbella, Are you doing a soup exchange with soup tasting or not? Last time I had everyone taste the soups. I gave everyone a regular soup bowl and they helped themselves. You could buy small disposable cups for soup. This time we are not tasting as there will be 8 - 12 people. You could still do it with that amount of people but my guests don't want to make and bring more than 6 qts. More would be needed for tasting and my guests said they would rather have more soup to exchange instead of tasting. Sorry for the long answer.

edited for spelling

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 7:17

• sheshebop
    10 years ago

For my party I bought dollar store little tiny refrigerator bowls. They use those for tasting, then use a regular bowl for the soup they decide they want. However, usually most of my friends eat bowls of 2 or 3 soups. AND I always buy quart freezer screw on top containers and they each get to take 1-2 quarts home of their favorite.

• livvyandbella
    10 years ago

Just thinking of having a soup exchange-tasting. If I do, I don't have enough bowls, so I wondered what size to use.
    Thanks for you information.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love mulligatawny.

I also love stuffed cabbage but hate making it, so I make stuffed cabbage soup instead. Saute onion and bacon. Add chunks of cut up pork and brown. Then I add beef broth, shredded cabbage, cooked rice, a can of diced tomatoes and dill weed. S&P to taste, and simmer until cabbage is tender.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Red bean and sausage soups are good, and I prefer to use the dried pink beans instead of kidney beans.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

livvy, one thing I did not think of ahead of time at my last party was how to heat up all the soups for tasting. We had five soups so I had 4 pots going on the stove and then used the microwave for the 5th soup.

• theresse
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is reeeeaally late but I want to thank everyone who responded to my initial post! I'd completely forgotten about it obviously, and only now discovered it (in the warm season when no one's making soup)! But it's a great thread to have that perhaps we can each keep adding to over time - though there are probably several other ones out there like it!

These all sound so yummy (maybe I won't be able to wait till Fall)! And I appreciate all the storage suggestions too. I feel so bad about forgetting about this thread! I need to figure out how to get email alerts when I get a response however I'm a bit jaded about using the email I regularly use because I'm worried about viruses and spam. Anyway, I see there's a "check here if you would like post replies" box now so I'll be sure to do that now!!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

theresse, keep in mind that the "check this box for replies" doesn't always work so don't depend on it. I find it so unreliable I don't bother with it anymore.

• sooz
    9 years ago

My most recent soup was posted on the latest What's For Dinner Thread. The Mulligatawny Soup was delish!

Here's a photo, and a link to the recipe is below the photo.

Smiles,
    Sooz

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulligatawny Soup from Lise P.