SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wintercat_gw

Tea Bread question

wintercat_gw
10 years ago

I made this tea loaf a couple of times, using raisins and dried cranberries, and now I'd like to make it without the sugar. The dried fruit gives the cake more than enough sweetness and the cup of sugar required in the recipe makes it cloying sweet for me.

Can I just omit the sugar? Will such ommission damage the texture of the cake unless I replace the sugar with some flour?

Help will be greatly appreciated because I don't have that wonderful instinct for cake making that some people seem to have. The cake is delicious and i'd love to make it again.

White Moss Lakeland Tea Bread:

12 Fluid oz of tea (1 1/2 cups, or 350 ml)
12 oz mixed dried fruit (2 1/2 cups or 350gm) (I use raisins, currants, sultanas and mixed peel bought ready mixed)
10 oz self raising flour ( 2 1/2 cups or 280 gm)( or use all purpose flour and add 1 teaspoon baking powder)
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
Pinch of salt
1 egg
4 oz (1 cup, 120 grams) light soft brown sugar
This recipe does not have to be very precise - it's an old , country tea bread recipe, not a gourmet master chef recipe! If you use slightly different sugar, or slightly different measures, then it will be slightly different- but it will still be wonderful tea bread.

http://www.squidoo.com/tea-bread

Comments (17)