Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help pls--DH and the turkey!!!

Posted by sooz (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 3:14

DH won a turkey in a raffle on Friday. By the time he got it home, it was partially defrosted, but when I pressed on it, I could still feel the icy crystals in it. We've kept it in the refrigerator.

He thought he'd speed up the defrosting process by leaving it out on the kitchen counter for 2 hours today. By the time I got home and saw it, and felt it, it was totally defrosted but still cool (not "fridge-cool") to the touch. He says it was only out for 2 1/2 hours. I don't know if that's true, or if he just said that.

Any ideas about whether it's still okay to cook and eat? I'm more than a little chagrined about this!

Thanks!
Smiles,
Sooz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help pls--DH and the turkey!!!

I wouldn't eat it. Can you go buy a fresh one (same brand) and toss the old one? He will never know and neither one of you will die.

o

I'd toss it. :(

Eileen

o

Why risk your health? Toss it.

o

I'd toss him. Um... er... I mean "it" :)

I think you'd probably fine, but I couldn't enjoy it with that thought lingering in the back of my mind.

o

I'd eat as long as it was still quite cool to the touch...then again I like to live on the edge ;)

o

All you need to do is measure the inside temperature with a probe thermometer, and Google a chart and see if it has been in the danger zone and estimate if the time in the danger zone is within safe range.

I think you may find it very safe to eat.

dcarch

o

You are going to cook it aren't you? As long as it was still cool I sure would cook it....without a blink! And I'll bet it was still icy in the very inside. I have stuffed more than one "completely defrosted turkeys" that still were frozen on the inside.

o

I'd seriously doubt there's a problem with it. Sure, go ahead and take it's temp. What size is it? It takes an awful long time for a turkey to really defrost, let alone go bad. A couple hours out is not very long, especially since it still felt cool/cold.

o

I'm definitely in the camp to cook it. It takes a long time for turkey to thaw, much less go bad in that period of time.

The one that I cooked for Thanksgiving was still icy on the inside, and it was in the frig for a week!

I'd cook 'er up.

o

I would definitely keep it, that's just a start on the thawing. The frozen bird I bought yesterday we left sitting out all night. We are NOT baking a frozen bird again: "...it was in the frig for a week!" Yep, I don't know how long a bird takes to thaw in the frige, but a week isn't long enough.

Even if you were gone all day, there's no way that bird could have not only thawed but become hazardous to eat.

o

I'd cook it and eat it without a qualm.

o

I wouldn't hesitate to eat it. You're going to cook it, which will kill anything questionable, but unless it smells bad in the raw state, it's fine.

o

Goodness, no question, cook it and eat it. And enjoy

Happy Thanksgiving.

o

I've thawed my 20-pound turkeys on the counter for years and will continue to do so. I agree that it would take forever to thaw in the refrigerator, and I don't have time for that. I like living on the edge too! I would never throw it out.

o

yes if it were cool also smell??

o

I'd cook it.

o

Note that in the dry salt cooking method, the turkey is to be left out for at least one hour at room temp before cooking. I would not have a problem with cooking the turkey that you described.

Lars

o

Thanks, everyone!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

Well, I'm late to the party, but you can add me to the list of people who would cook it without qualms.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here