SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlocat

I was seduced

arlocat
9 years ago

Nine years ago I was seduced by the sleek style and sophistication of my Viking oven. He didn't deserve my affection and now we are parting ways.

I have a very simple and informal poll that I am posting on the Kitchen, Appliance and Cooking forums. I'd appreciate your help. I don't care if it is a built in or free standing oven.
I just want to keep this poll simple.

1. What brand of oven do you have?
2. How long have you had your oven?
3. How many times have you had your oven serviced?
4. Do you like your oven?

Comments (20)

• deegw
    9 years ago

I am interested in this information as well. Unfortunately, the frustrating thing about appliances is that most of the older ones were not made with parts designed to fail as soon as the warranty ran out. Also, the company that made a "good" oven may have been bought out or decided to outsource manufacturing to another place,

• deegw
    9 years ago

oops double post

This post was edited by deee on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 8:13

• Related Discussions

I've been 'seduced'

Q

Comments (16)
    ken, send me a piece when you get it. Then we can see if it grows well in three states. I have a special intensive care bed on which I Installed "the clapper" I teach the hosta to clap when they need water. Unlike corn, however, they do not have ears, and don't follow instructions well. so I play a ... tape... in the driveway ^_^ --~ dave
    ...See More

Any disappointments this year?

Q

Comments (12)
    So far...I've only lost stuff I didn't get watered...I did go hog wild at the Springhill sale, and several of the 3/99cents had one die out of the bunch, but how can you fault a 33 cent loss? And...the tree peony I had doubts about when I bought it from them bare root is GROWING! YEEHAW.... I guess the biggest scare is the thought that the person who was buying my house was going to bulldoze it all right away...but this deal is now in question.....but...I now have a garden in CT which is supposed to be on a house for sale with a green fish pond and so many weeds it will take several days to get it straightened out.... oh yeah....and the fact that I can't do everything at once. That's a huge disappointment..... Allison, don't give up on the agapanthus. My bareroot ones didn't bloom the first year...they don't like a lot of messing around and I think they have to get to a certain size before they bloom. Hang on and treat them nice and they may produce for you next year. I'm also glad to hear about your experience with they nymophilia...I wanted to try these and so I am glad to hear your appraisal. Oh yeah....poker primrose...they look so neat inthe pictures...but they are TINY. I think the whole poker is about half the size of my pinkie and about 1 1/2" long.....sort of disappointing, but it may redeem itself.
    ...See More

one year of plumie fever - the story so far

Q

Comments (3)
    thanks for sharing+ I enjoyed reading that. I also like to experiment: I have a collection of fertilizers: everytime i go to the nursery (and I go to alot of them) that is the first section I look. I love to feed the plants as much I loved to feed my kids. unfortunately, we don't get the same fertilizers as you all do in the States. Tropicals are fun and challenging. sue
    ...See More

I was seduced

Q

Comments (16)
    1. 30" Thermador - Double, Convection, electric 2. Nine years 3. Never serviced, no issues, heavily used, frequently both running at 525 for hours (two large pizza stones in each) 4. Love them - would by again in a heartbeat. Love the cavernous capacity. Has a ton of automated features that I never use so that turns out not to be a selling feature for me. Used the probe only once - again, not into automated cooking. Preheats super fast. Use the warm and proof often. True convection (third heating element around the convection fan). Great, even cooking and temp control.
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    9 years ago

Oh, lvmadison, I'm so sorry that your Viking is a bounder. Mine was steadfast and true. I was the one that left him though, and now I regret it! He stayed to keep the home fires burning, and I moved on to what looked like greener pastures. (Before this little allegory gets so convoluted that you can't tell what I'm talking about, the Viking stayed with the old house when I moved into my new house.)

My new range is awful.
    1. It is a GE Cafe 5 burner double oven all gas CGS990SETSS
    2. 9 months
    3. The repairman has been here so many times, I'm wondering if I ought to buy him a Christmas present - he's nearly family!
    4. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

It is awful. There are hot spots all over the oven. The only way I can somewhat mitigate the hot spots is to use the convection setting. The repairman said it shouldn't have the hot spots but he couldn't figure out what was causing them.

Here is a picture of a test I did. The oven was set at on Bake at 350. This is the results after ONE MINUTE

GE's assessment: "burns toast" I tried to explain that I didn't burn the toast, it was a test to determine where the hot spots were. The next time I called for service, I got, "oh, it burns your toast." AARRRGGGHHH!!!

I finally ended up with a Consumer Advocate. He was about the most ineffectual "consumer advocate" I can imagine. His title should be "Consumer Placator." He didn't advocate crap! Plus, on more than one occasion he said he would look into something and call me back on a day certain. Then he would fail to call back.

GE called the other day with a "satisfaction survey." They asked on a scale of 1-10 how did I rate my GE appliance. I asked if they had negative numbers I could use!

I am at the point of just eating the $3k and putting this POS on the curb. It is the one element of my new house that I absolutely HATE with a passion (can you tell?).

• dancingqueengw
    9 years ago

I have the Bosch Benchmark Induction. I have had it for 6 months. It follows a Jen Air drop in that was 25 years old when I replaced it. So far I like it. I have had to learn induction rathen than electric but other than replacing some pans that has worked well. The oven is huge and I have a warming drawer which is a plus. But only six months so I can't comment on how long it will last.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have a JennAir double oven both convection. Installed last July. I was nervous because I read some not great reviews but so far this pair of ovens are the best I have ever had. I haven't experienced any hot spots at all. I love having the extra space to prepare more dishes especially with the holidays. I would buy this brand again in a heart beat!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

GE Profile gas range. Given to me by BIL who restores old homes in Cambridge, MA. It was one he'd pulled out of a house he was restoring. I had to replace one part, that lights the oven. I've had it three years now, don't know how old it is, but I love it.

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

I have had Dacor, Jenn-AIr and now Viking. I liked Dacor and Jenn-Air the best. No problems whatsoever. I haven't had any problems with the Viking, but, just liked the others better.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I had a GE Profile dual-fuel double oven freestanding before moving several years ago. I loved it but only had it a year before we moved.

Current house had a 24 in GE Profile wall oven from the 80s. Uneven heating and TINY. Could not fit a half-sheet pan in there.

Was considering Electrolux and Bosch to replace it and ended up with a used Gaggenau that I love more than anyone should love an appliance.

I've had it installed since 1/13.

No service needed, so far.

• ann_t
    9 years ago

I'm surprised that your seduction lasted that long. I lost my infatuation with my Viking in two years when both igniters went in the oven and then both burners had to be replaced. I put more than $800.00 in that range within four years. A real lemon. And apparently that isn't uncommon, which I found out after the fact. Would never buy another Viking product.

The top burners were great.

~Ann

• chas045
    9 years ago

Our ~7 yr old KA double oven and convection microwave has worked well other than anxiety about using the self clean that has been known to shut down similar models. It actually cleans easily by hand. The only warranty 'repair' was when we accidently set warning tones to 'low' while wiping the touch screen. The 'low' settings sound like a broken vibrating buzzer or chime.

Our previous stove was a classic late '50s O Keefe & Merritt (see cover of 1960 Betty Crocker Cookbook) that we acquired from a neighbor when she upgraded in perhaps 1980. The oven needed a replacement thermostat in perhaps 1995 and the rotisserie in the separate broiler failed in the '90s too. I had only tried to use it twice anyway. Otherwise, it ran fine until we moved in 2005.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? Not sure if my input would help, since you are apparently looking for a wall oven? Lacanche range with 3 ovens
    2. How long have you had your oven? 3.5 yrs in use
    3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? the oven per se? 1 or2x; trouble turning it on
    4. Do you like your oven? Yes but again I am not sure of this helps, as I assume you mean just a wall oven

PS I agree in re Viking. They are so popular in high end kitchens, but their quality is lacking. I had a range and wall oven in my old house. Ovens were fine, but ignition on one of the burners went in 2yrs and had terrible time w service. Thumbs down Viking.

BBSTX, OMG, I cannot blame you for being angry. Burns toast! Here you have done a very logical experiment and those dimwits have no clue. I love "do you have negative numbers?" Too funny, but not.

• pkramer60
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? Whirlpool Gold, 30" gas

2. How long have you had your oven? Nov. 9, 1998

3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? Oven -never. Burners once as the flames were uneven.

4. Do you like your oven? I do. Temps still run true, but the self cleaning feature has died this year. I can live with cleaning it myself.

• arlocat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Thank you. IâÂÂm taking notes. Keep the replies coming.

I donâÂÂt care if you tell me about your wall oven or oven in your free-standing range. Right now IâÂÂm just looking for some direction of reliable brands.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Gaggenau standard and combi-steam

In use, 4.75 years.

Zero. Even after an epic power outage, they came back fine on their own. Had to flip the breaker for the cooktop.

LOVE. There is one flaw with the big, standard oven. On convection bake, with the item being cooked low in stature and centered below the fan, the fan can blow the heated air straight at the front right of the door, which reflects it straight back onto the pan/loaf, over browning that corner. It took my a long time to figure this out because it so rarely happens. It's easy to avoid with positioning, or by putting a rack or other baffle in front of the fan.

There is total control over which heat is coming from where, the pizza stone is amazing (though doesn't do it for Rhome410's method of pizza baking), and the temperature setting is true. I think the previous model to mine was even better, but I prefer the 30" oven. I bought extras of the enamelled baking trays and prefer them for almost everything to other kinds of sheets and sheet pans. Never any issues with the self-clean (905ð F), though, being conservative, I only use it a few times per year.

If you want rhapsodies on the combi-steam, check my screen name in Appliances. :) My premise in redoing my kitchen was that I would have Gaggenau ovens. If I'd had a tighter budget, I'd still have Gaggenau ovens, and would have scrounged everything else.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

- Whirlpool Gold double wall oven (top is convection)
    - 7 years
    - Once. Three months after it was installed, the mother board had to be replaced. Warranty covered it, and no issues since.
    - Like, yes. Love, no. The upper oven is true to temp and no hot spots. The lower runs cooler. The finish on the upper oven handle (used more) is flaking off and looks terrible. I'm thinking about taking a silver market to it.

• arlocat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Everyone. Your feedback is helpful. I'm just hoping the door doesn't fall off my Viking oven before the turkey finishes roasting on Thursday. The hinge broke and it is a two person job getting things in and out of the oven right now. The temperature numbers are neatly written around the dial by me with my trusty permanent marker. There have been other issues as well. We won't have it repaired and we absolutely refuse to put anymore money into Viking appliances.

I think shopping for appliances is hard. The professional reviews always seem to focus on model numbers that the stores don't have. In the past I had a parade of less expensive stoves and ovens (some fairly ancient) that never seemed to quit. Now the companies are being bought,sold and gobbled up so quickly that it is hard to find out who is really making what. Whatever I decide, I promise you it won't be Viking.

At this point I won't get out shopping until next week. I really hate spending the money, especially this time of year. Wish me luck and keep the info coming.

Thanks

• Gooster
    9 years ago

My prior oven was a Maytag single electric oven with no convection -- and yet, it managed to cook things terribly unevenly. It was purchased as a stopgap because the original Dacor failed. That one cooked pretty well but the electronics and touch pads started failing after about five years.

My current oven is in my range, a CornuFe (18 months). It is a single oven combo -- preheats in an adequate time, cooks evenly, and convection/heat mode that can roast foods like root veggies wonderfully. Last T-day, it held a 20 lb Turkey and a half bone-in ham.

• bcskye
    9 years ago

I had a Jenn-Aire for four years in our last house and loved it. It got left with the house when we sold it, but my husband promised me I could have another when the new house is built. Twenty years later, when we got the new house built (health problems interfered) we put in my Jenn-Aire. That was nine years ago and I've never had a problem with it. It has two permanent burmers and I have the inserts for the other side to use as a griddle, a grill or another two burners where I've switched out the larger burner for the canning burner. Its all electric with just one oven which is regular plus convection. I can proof bread in it and and use it as a dehydrator although I wouldn't because I have two of those. It's worth every penny! And now DH wants to move to a different part of the country, so when we get the new place, the first thing I'm going to do is replace the stove with a Jenn-Aire!

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

What brand of oven do you have?
    - Miele double wall oven
    - 7 years
    - Once - a few months ago after it failed rather spectacularly - the convection element shorted producing much light and sound for a few seconds before the breaker popped - hundreds of $ to repair.
    Yes mostly. Cooking performance is great. It cooks evenly and temp seems pretty accurate.

There are things about the controller that I find annoying - like that the timer is set in minutes and seconds instead of hours and minutes and has allows setting for a max of 59 minutes and 59 seconds.

Every once in a blue moon (maybe a few times a year), it's controller will decide it has detected an error condition and turn the oven off. No idea what cause it. The problem isn't repeatable.

We are thinking about replacing it with a side swing oven. I'm short and find reaching over the door awkward at times. When we didn't know if the Miele repair would make sense, we started looking at French door or side swing alternatives. We can't use a French door because the refrigerator next to the oven would keep it from swinging open so that leaves side swing.

Bosch seems to be the sensible choice - saw these in a show room that just got them in and they fit in our existing opening. Also thinking about replacing with Gaggenau - their double oven is too tall.but we could fit their steam oven over their convection oven and maybe a warming drawer, but that alternative costs a lot more.

• chas045
    9 years ago

c_s: I don't know anything about Mieles, but I suspect if you either double press or perhaps hold the timer button for a few moments, that it will switch from minutes to hours.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor