Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I bought a pig in a poke :-(

Posted by katykelly (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 11 at 0:08

In Oct. I drove a 12 hour round trip over the Rockies to pick up a 28 lb. piglet to roast on the grill for the families . As we are thawing it out , we have discovered Wilber is missing an ear ! I am looking for suggestions to camo this flaw . Sheesh !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I bought a pig in a poke :-(

Go to the pet store and buy a pig ear....meant for a dog chew toy. You may have to trip it to size.....but after grilling.....who's to know.
12 hour drive to buy a little pig? Wow! Where do you live??

o

12 hour round trip . 6 hours over and 6 hours back . And yes , I could not find a butcher willing to supply me with one . They only do it for graduation parties in the spring . Maybe that's when pigs are born ?

o

Tell your guests that you bit it off Wilbur when you hand-wrestled him. Or it's an "honorable scar" earned in combat. He lost it during a machine gun fight with Tony Soprano's gang. His mother wanted something to remember hi by. It's now a silk purse (bring out a fancy beaded bag.)

Make it a joke and don't worry.

o

I'm going with the pet chew ear unless I get a better suggestion . Happy Thanksgiving and safe passage to every one .

o

I immediately thought of the dog chew, but I think it would be much easier to work with raw skin. I'm thinking fashion an ear out of rind and then sew it to Wilbur's head. Toothpicks could help give it shape if needed. (I don't recall how stiff dead pig ears are.) And if it doesn't look enough like his other one, well then cut the other one off and make a second!

If you can't find rind sold alone (here the Latin markets sell it in sheets) you could just sacrifice it off a fresh ham.

o

After he is cooked put a hat on him! No one will know!

o

Ew, sorry but I wouldn't want one of those pet chew ears any where near something I was going to eat. I think they all come from China and are processed with some fairly nasty stuff. I'd just not worry about it.

o

Call them up and have them FedEx Over-night a replacement ear.

They are responsible to correct the situation.

dcarch

o

I would be so impressed that you roasted a whole pig that I wouldn't check for symmetry. Besides, our mind likes to fill in missing pieces that our eyes don't see. I bet the subject won't even come up, unless you bring it up or your guests are swine connoisseurs. I definitely wouldn't worry about it (and I'm a food-presentation-worrier). Enjoy!

o

I've been to more than one luau (lived in Hawaii), and I don't recall ever noticing the ears? But I agree with dcarch, shouldn't they rectify their mistake? At any rate, enjoy your roast!

o

Tell your guests it is a Van Gogh pig. Really, no one will care. I put a lot of thought into presentation, but I think you can let this one slide.

Dcarch, I am not sure if your suggestion was tongue in cheek, but the thought of receiving a piglet ear in the mail is so disturbing to me. Same with the thought of sewing it back on.

Jo

o

I don't think anyone would care either. But maybe you could stick a pretty fall flower over where the ear was. Then it would be properly dressed and fancy.

o

Can you serve him on his side? How about a crown of crabapples? or wrapping him in bacon? Does the pig have quite large ears (er, quite a large ear?)? Sometimes they are just little black nubs by the time the pig is roasted anyhow.

o
:) RE: I bought a pig in a poke

But maybe you could stick a pretty fall flower over where the ear was. Then it would be properly dressed and fancy.

But what if it's the left ear that's missing? Everyone will think this pig is married? (see? cause a single pig would wear it on the right side. At least I assume a piglet is unmarried? If you stil don't get it, it's a Hawaiian custom). KIDDING!!!!

;)

Here is a link that might be useful: flower meanings

o

Wow, who knew Rob? Thanks for the interesting flower tidbit.

Katy, I think you are over-thinking this. Heck, a lot of people don't even notice a part missing in a utility turkey. I know the piglet is bigger, but I think they would be salivating over the cooked meat, more than if Wilber is fully intact. But a hat can do wonders if need be.

Or a flower.....at that age, he's definitely single! :)

o

I buy my doggie pig ears from Iowa pigs....in Tehisen's....smell and probably taste just like bacon!!
28 pounds is a pretty young piglet!

o

"Tell your guests that you bit it off Wilbur when you hand-wrestled him. Or it's an "honorable scar" earned in combat. He lost it during a machine gun fight with Tony Soprano's gang. His mother wanted something to remember hi by. It's now a silk purse (bring out a fancy beaded bag.)"

"Tell your guests it is a Van Gogh pig."

"I think you are over-thinking this."

I agree with all of the above!

Yes, have fun with it!

Think of all the fun and interesting dinner conversation
This situation can evoke!

After all, it's not as though a turkey
Were missing a leg. :>)

Rusty

o

I don't think she's overthinking this. She drove 12 hours to get this pig, and probably spent good money for it. You don't roast a whole pig if presentation isn't a significant factor. I'd be pissed.

o

I would take the other ear off. No one would notice an earless pig!

o

Instead of putting an apple in the mouth put it in the ear place. Make it a big joke. I have been to many pig pickings and all I noticed was all the wonderful pork meat to be eaten. Yummmmm!

o

If anyone says anything about the missing ear, I'd tell them You shudda seen the other pig!

I wouldn't grunt about it too much, though I would call them and say something. Maybe they'd credit you a couple bucks. Maybe tell them you would prefer the winner next time? Or they might tell you shudda seen the other pig! :)

Happy Thanksgiving! Pig out and have fun.

o

Thanks for all the advice , everyone . They are going to give me 25 % discount on my next purchase . Wilbur is stuffed , rubbed , and sewn up , ready for the grill . Happy Thanksgiving !

o

I hope you can take a picture and show us your piglet!

o

Like sw, I, too request a picture!

o

So how'd it turn out? Inquiring minds wanna know. Ok, my just plain ol' nosey mind wants to know. But cool! that he got stuffed and cooked.

:)

o

I agree, I'd love to see a picture. 28 pounds is a pretty young piglet, maybe a couple of months old, I buy "feeder pigs" that run about 30 pounhds or less and they are just old enough to leave their mothers. Going price right now is $40, but that's still alive and kicking and with both ears.

I agree that the company should make it right, if I went to the trouble of roasting a whole piglet, presentation would be important to me. Like FOAS, I'd probably have gotten a fresh ham, with the rind on, and made an ear which could have been attached.

So, how DID Wilbur turn out? I've been to lots of pig roasts here, my daughter even had one for her wedding reception, and it's always well received, you can't go wrong with roasted pork!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here