SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Is there any hope for this pork?

foodonastump
9 years ago

I usually roast pulled pork in the oven, but today I decided to do it low and slow on the grill with some smoke. I was planning to serve in the mid afternoon, so I started it at 4:30am. Lunch and dinner plans changed, as it's now 10:45pm and I just took it off the grill and the temp is only about 160, far short of the 195-200 target. I've wrapped it up tightly and put it in a 300 deg oven.

Trying to figure out what went wrong. I don't have a good oven thermometer, so I monitered the grill by sticking my Thermapen through the hole that usually houses a very inaccurate thermometer. I checked the temperature several times an hour to ensure that it read between 225 and 250. But something must have gone wrong since after 19 hours I'm still not past the stall, if I've even reached it.

I'm trying to decide whether this thing is going to be remotely safe to eat. Normally I'd just throw it out without thinking twice, but it's about 8 pounds and for some reason I paid about 2.5x more than I typically pay for pork butt so even I'm hesistant to do that.

WWYD?

Comments (14)