SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What's For Dinner #333

annie1992
10 years ago

Ann, that beef always looks perfect and so do the Yorkshire puddings. Your picture reminded me that I haven't made popovers in a long time either. (same pan, LOL)

Here I've been canning, drying herbs, trying to get things straightened around for winter on the farm. The house is finally on the market, but it's not such a good time of year to sell a house, so we'll see.

In the meantime, I made some turnip soup with crispy fried poblano rings. Elery liked it a lot, I hope he forgets about it because I was very underwhelmed and wouldn't make it again, LOL.

Today we had shrimp and scallop Spiedinis with lemon butter, some gnocchi with tomato sauce and cheese and cole slaw left over from a couple of meals ago. The cole slaw was a vinaigrette type and got really sour, so it was pucker, but the rest of the meal was yummy.

Elery has been playing with his new pizza oven, there's a learning curve he says. Couldn't prove it by me, he made this foccacia and it was delicious, with nice big holes. He drizzled it with the Italian herbed olive oil that Sherry brought when she came to visit and that gave it a nice "herb-y" taste, as well as a small grating of good parmesan.

We used some for breakfast sandwiches, it was good cold too!

A few days ago he asked me to make some pizza crust, but we didn't use it so I stuck it in the fridge for a couple of days. Yesterday we hauled it out and made some calzone with our homemade Italian sausage and cheese.

And since we had that stone oven heated up to 700 degrees, I rolled out some homemade corn tortillas:

We had black bean and rice burritos one night and so Elery took the leftover beans and rice and the tortillas and made breakfast, along with some eggs. I passed on everything except the eggs and made a slice of toast, I just can't eat that spicy stuff in the morning.

The final verdict, though, was to just slap the tortillas in a cast iron skillet, they were so not worth messing over in the pizza oven.

Annie

Comments (102)

• bettyd_z7_va
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ann, I must learn how to grill a prime rib!

There was a place in Nagg's Head that Alfred said he would almost drive all of the way down there for one.

The last time we went there the owner had sold the place & the new owner had taken it off of the menu. Poor Alfred was broken hearted :-(

Your prime rib looks exactly like the ones there.

Betty

• cookie8
    10 years ago

Shambo, I am still using some recipes from your videos you sent. I just quit my job, so next week I am going to sit back and check them out again.
    Annie, I love your dog. She is beautiful! As are the dinners posted.
    My son (12) is having a hard time going gluten free so I am going to focus on him and try and get more creative to help him stay motivated. Looking for ideas to steal from here.

• Related Discussions

And happy birthday (for real this time) Rob333!

Q

Comments (13)
    Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, Dear Robin, Happy Birthday to you. Can you hear me singing? Bet you couldn't read those lines without singing them in your head! I hope today will be the start of a great year; you've earned it!
    ...See More

333rd in line

Q

Comments (20)
    I was fifth in line until the Secret Service ushered a woman in a wheelchair to the front. I live in the 22nd Precinct of the 4th Ward; Barak Obama lives in the 23rd, but we both (along with folks from the 32nd) vote at Shoesmith School. I got in line at 5:15. The polls are supposed to open at 6:00, but a member of the Fruit of Islam and the Secret Service worked it out that Louis Farrakahn, a fellow resident of the 22nd Precinct and his wife would vote first and then be gone before anyone else was let in. The FOI guy said that Farrakahn would also be accompanied by two aides, and the S.S. man said, "They can't be carrying weapons, right?" and the FOI man said they wouldn't be. As we waited, the S.S. went down the line checking our names against a computer printout they had of the combined three precincts. At about 5:45 the poll workers started in through security, opening their bags and getting wanded. A policeman with a smallish black lab had come out of the school before they opened the doors, most likely a bomb-sniffer. The line went from the school to the street and down to the end of the block by then. The end of the block would have been right in front of Farrakhan's seldom-used Chicago home, which looks sort of like an Arabian Holiday Inn. But for him to vote, his three-car motorcade must have gone around the block -- North on Woodlawn, East on 49th, back South on Dorchester, back West on 50th to unload about 200 feet from where they started. Voting takes place in a gym that's also an auditorium. There's a stage along one side, and about eight video camera were set up there, all pointing toward the door. There were two young women -- one with pink streaks dyed into her brown hair and one with navy-blue streaks over black -- in addition to the usual middle-aged African American poll workers at the long tables set up for the 22nd Precinct. Everything went smoothly. Roberta was behind me in the line and afterwards we met outside, on the other side of the block, where we'd parked our vehicles. She had loads of time to make it into work and thought she'd stick around. She later saw the Obamas arrive, from a distance. I saw some pictures of the Obamas voting later on and noticed that the student-type with the pink streaks got up from her table to take a call-phone picture. Last night, our son came by to pick something up and stayed to watch the returns. Around 7:30, we walked over toward the Obama's house, but the cops said we couldn't stand closer than two blocks away so we went back home. A little after 8:30, though, we noticed a lot of traffic on our leafy little 48th St. Cops were at end of the block, the intersection with Woodlawn, turning back cars approaching from each direction on 48th. We walked down and eventually formed a small crowd -- our African American neighbor, the family from China who bought the end townhouse on 48th a few years ago, a man who said he was Vietnamese, stopped a block from his house on his way back from his Tae Kwan Do session, a man I'd never seen before in his bathrobe. Just after 9:00, Obama's motorcade drove past -- motorcycle cops, SUVs, some smallish busses, a Chicago Fire Department EMT truck. We waved at all the cars, not being sure which one held the Obamas. The Vietnamese guy said that earlier in the day, when Obama came back home from his traditional pickup basketball game, he'd had his window rolled down and waved to people he saw on the street. So that was our little brush with history. Early and late we heard our African American neighbors say that they wish their parents or grandparents had lived to see the day. It's strange having all the security deployed -- everything from the sniffer dog to helicopters -- but all the cops and Secret Service types were very soft-spoken and calm. I suppose we'll get used to it.
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

Gagg combi fault code e333

Q

Comments (7)
    I looked up the code and it indicates that the waste water tank is blocked E333 - if the waste water pump runs and the float switches did not close within a defined time. It looks like you will need a service call for this.
    ...See More
  • cooking2day
    10 years ago

Jasdip, your honey-sesame chicken looks so good. What's your recipe? I also would love the steamed broccoli with it.

Annie, I'm glad Molly passed her tests. She'll be so happy to be part of your family and is a lucky girl. That pork chop dinner looks good. Especially I would love all the vegetables. And the crepes are browned perfectly. I've not made them for so long.

Holy Mackerel, John! You've got some lovely photography and plating going on there. I think I'd like playing around with it more if my food wasn't getting chilly while doing so. :)

Ann, all I can say about your dinners is, "Wow." Beautifully delicious! As far as the sausage goes, I season it with a variety of herbs using about 1/2 tsp crushed dried of each per pound of meat: rosemary, fennel, thyme, and sage are some I use often because I can grow them easily. One reason I started making sausage is because commercial is too salty for my taste. I cut the salt by about half, using about 1/2 slightly rounded tsp per pound. And then l add a couple T liquid: wine/broth/maple syrup/water, etc. One of the butchers in our area adds applesauce, ground cherries, etc.

Sol, the only way I eat breakfast food is for dinner. Otherwise, I prefer leftovers. For some reason, eggs, syrup and other typical breakfast foods upset my stomach in the a.m.

Sleevendog, your oyster stew is beautiful. The broth looks like something I could drink from my coffee cup.

Last night's meal was southern-style green beans, roasted carrots, and quail and dumplings. Can you tell I've got lots of quail in the freezer and am trying to use it as much as I can without getting tired of it? All that's missing is the crusty bread that I didn't bake.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annn T, I haven't made your tuna pate in a long time, I need to do that again soon. Elery, though, wants the pita. And I'd never even heard of a Duck Toller, I had to look it up, She does have the right coloring, doesn't she?

Sol, I thought it was far more reasonable to wait until we move to the farm, but Elery missed having a dog and Molly needed a home and so, well....as I've said before, I don't usually go looking for a pet, they always seem to come to me.

Jasdip, thanks for the recipe, that's definitely going to happen here soon, it sounds yummy and doesn't seem to make a huge batch. Good thing, probably, LOL, or I'd be eating them all.

Noodlesportland, thank you and welcome to What's For Dinner. (grin) For a dog that "isn't good with children" Molly has been lovely. She has no manners at all, has chewed everything from duct tape to the seatbelts in the car, doesn't know how to walk on a leash, jumps on people, counter surfs and does not come when she's called, but she seems to just love kids. Bud is her favorite, he's just a a walking trail of crumbs and scraps, LOL, but she's so gentle with Madi, I've seen no aggressive behavior at all. They were sharing cookies tonight, and the crumbs Madi was sharing were so tiny that it's a miracle Molly could find them at all, but she did.

Cookie, gluten free is a difficult thing out in "public" but more and more places are offering gluten free choices, that's good. If you're looking for treats, try Ann T's chocolate meringue cookies, they're really good. Good luck with your son, my stepdaughter is celiac and it's an adjustment for my cooking, that's for sure, and she's 28 and doesn't live with us!

Cooking2day, Elery says he'd happily eat that quail and dumplings any old time. I haven't had quail in several years, my brother used to hunt it but there seems to be a shortage of small game/bird hunters in the family right now. (sigh) It looks good and I had to laugh when I saw your notations on the plate designating the spots for the crusty bread.

So, what's for dinner?

Last week we had some work to do at the farm, so I started a crockpot full of garbanzo bean stew with smoked pork hocks, served with a side of corn bread. It was nice to have a hot supper waiting as it's been cold and rainy here.

I have been cleaning the freezers and found 17 packages of rhubarb, so I made a rhubarb crisp:

I found a package of chicken legs and baked those along with some cornbread stuffing made from the leftover cornbread. I also roasted the last package of asparagus in the freezer, dated 2010. It was time. (grin)

More freezer meals, some cabbage rolls on a bed of home canned sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and celeriac from the garden and some sautéed edamame.

Last night I baked some cod with seasoned breadcrumbs, and served it with tartar sauce, leftover cabbage mixed with the leftover edamame and a butternut squash and poblano gratin. The gratin was good, the recipe was a keeper and I got to use up some of the poblano peppers I just bought at the local farmers' market, $1.50 for a huge bag of about two dozen.

OK, I'm caught up, kind of. (grin)

Annie

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Molly is a doll! The perfect size and mix. You've been cooking up a storm as usual, Annie. I keep rhubarb in the freezer, but just use fresh when I make a rhubarb crisp. You've changed my mind, yours looks so good. :)

Cooking2day, your written comments about the crusty bread makes me laugh! Too cute.

You asked for my honey-sesame chicken recipe. It's a slow-cooker recipe and is definitely a keeper!

Crock-Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

4 boneless chicken breasts
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    2 tbsp cider vinegar
    1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    2 tbsp veg or canola oil
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    4 tsp cornstarch
    1/3 cup cold water
    1/2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker.

Combine the onion, garlic, honey, tomato paste, cider vinegar, soy sauce, oil and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and cook on Low 3-4 hours.

Combine water and cornstarch, remove chicken and thicken liquid with slurry by cooking on High for 10 minutes.

Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Serve with sauce over rice, sprinkled with sesame seeds.

• ann_t
    10 years ago

Cooking2Day, thank you. That is basically how I make my sausage. Minus the maple syrup or any other sweetener. I smiled at your picture with the missing parts.

Annie, I would be happy with everyone of your dinners. (would have to pick the carrots out of the soup. But that would be a small inconvience.).

Catch up from last week.

My attempt at a Teppanyaki Steak Dinner.

New York Strip steaks trimmed.

Veggies on the grill pan.

Steak was seared on both sides and then cut into bite size pieces.

My favourite was the vegetables. I love bean sprouts.

Grilled Baby Back Ribs with homemade TBQ sauce.

More bread from the same batch, two days later. Including a Pain d' Epi with Kalamata Olives.

And the same dough after three days. This loaf was more Ciabatta style. I didn't shape it.

And I used the last of the dough to make cinnamon buns. Loved the texture.

Drizzled with a cream cheese glaze.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my, Ann T, those cinnamon rolls look so delicious.

Elery and I were discussing your bread baking at supper, and we agreed that when we move and get a refrigerator big enough to store dough, that making dough weekly and baking it off periodically during the week as needed was definitely the way to go. Now, I just have to get that refrigerator, LOL.

Jasdip, I love sesame chicken, I'm keeping that recipe too, thank you. And I also make rhubarb crisp with fresh rhubarb, but there's none to be had this time of year, so frozen will do. It was still good and a nice change from apples!

Dinner last night was venison tips with onions and mushrooms, served over homemade pasta, I'm still cleaning that freezer. (sigh) Sides were colcannon made of potatoes and cabbage from the garden and beets, also from the garden, a very "local" kind of supper.

I had company, she flew in just as supper was cooking and announced she was hungry. She LOVED the venison and the potatoes, the beets, well, not so much.

She shared the last of her "noodles" with Molly, who is really learning to like this constant supplier of food, and she's very careful to gently take her morsels so as not to hurt little fingers.

Molly is learning fast, the only thing she's refused to eat so far is canned tuna. Oh, and beets, I think she learned that from Madi. :-)

Annie

• party_music50
    10 years ago

It's been awhile since I've been able to see the WFD threads! something has been causing major havoc... *extremely* slow load time, flashing black screens, browser freezing and even sometimes crashing, etc. There are some really lousy web developers and server admins out there! :p

Everything looks wonderful! I want to reply before I forget too many of the 50 comments I wanted to make. lol!

sleevendog, those are like melon berries... it looks like the seeds are bigger than the melons. ;^) I think we're both in NYS, and it was sort of a LOUSY growing year here.

cookie8, please see if you can contact me through email on my member page. I've done quite a bit of gluten-free baking in the past 3 years since my BF discovered that he's allergic to wheat. Maybe I can help you with the gluten-free change for your son.

Annie, that Molly is adorable! She just needed the right family. :)

cooking2day, that is hysterical about the missing crusty bread! :O)

ann_t, I would kill to be able to eat your fresh-baked breads. OMG, they look SO good to me!!! I also covet your bread boards and cutting boards and cheese boards. LOL! I noticed the board you have set inside a basket and it made me think... have you ever had anyone weave a basket on one of your boards? You'd have to cut a slot in the edge of the board and then the weaving materials can be attached to weave the sides of the basket. The board would be solidly woven into the basket and serve as the base. I can show you some photos of regular-shaped (e.g., circular) pine ones that I've made so you'll know what I mean.

Another big vote for 'breakfast for dinner'!!! It's the ultimate comfort food. We often opt for something like a loaded omelette, or blueberry-yogurt pancakes w/ eggs & bacon. It's especially good because neither of us usually eats breakfast in the morning. In these parts, it used to be common to eat a big breakfast at 2am after the bars closed... the restaurants that served those breakfasts always had lines of people waiting to get in. The most popular breakfast to eat out had to be steak & greens w/ eggs, but I never tried it. :p

Having a hard time going back and forth through the thread, so want to post before I lose it all!

PS: Annie, I'm glad to know there's someone else out there like me who would use that found sauerkraut. :)

I also wanted to say that since I've seen these WFD threads, I decided to try to jot down what we have eaten for dinner each night. LOL! It's hard to remember to do it, funny how fast you forget what you had the other night, and interesting to watch for any patterns. So far, I'm noticing that I often opt for food that's faster to get done because I'M HUNGRY! :O)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 10:20

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I've been in the kitchen all day today. Started out making 2 loaves of bread, my usual weekend baking. Boiled a ham yesterday for dinner with potatoes and green beans cooked with it. Had all of this ham stock that I didn't know what to do with it, so I made my cabbage soup (more like a stew, it's so thick) and a potato soup, using some ham stock. I also put some ham in the potato soup.

Having a roast beef for dinner, and have butter tart squares in the oven baking now. Here is an old picture of them.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

Looking forward to some soups again.

We did a rotisserie duck yesterday. Nice to be outside with good temp and no wind.
    Tending the fire, yard cleaning, peeked at a messy garage.
    Looks like the Christmas morn tv yule log. (Fire flames in the back calm down when the
    diamond plate goes over the front.)
    A few potatoes, whole garlic head, pearl onions, big sweet potato, in the 'fat catcher'.
    Never used duck fat or stock before...pint of fat and a qrt of dark brown stock...

• cooking2day
    10 years ago

Jasdip, thank you for the recipe. I'll be making that soon. The bread looks nice with a good rise to it.

Ann, amazing food photos of amazing looking food. Just lovely.

Annie, everything sounds good, but I especially would be all over those cabbage rolls. I've become lazy and mostly make deconstructed cabbage rolls anymore (i.e. casserole :)

Sleevendog, loving that outdoor oven! You have me even more excited about raising ducks this spring.

Some crawfish etouffee and Brussel sprouts from this evening's meal. 'Twas pretty tasty.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

party, Molly is fitting right in. She's lying in front of the oven right now, waiting for bread to be done. (grin)

Sleevendog, I am really liking that fireplace, and I'll be raising a dozen or so ducks again next year. Now I think I need a rotisserie for Elery's Camp Chef.

jasdip, those tarts look like they'd be perfect for breakfast, yum.

cooking2day, I don't dare show Elery the picture of that etouffee, he loves the stuff. I do too, it looks delicious.

The last few days we've been pretty busy, replacing a water pipe at the farm, arranging processing for the steers, insulating the well house, moving hay into feeders, filling tanks and making sure tank heaters work. Plus, I've been helping Dave keep books and do paperwork at the shop and we had Thanksgiving and Madi's birthday party, for which I had to make an "Elmo" cake. I'll post that another thread, LOL.

Anyway, we've been eating Thanksgiving leftovers, until yesterday when I made pork carnitas in the crockpot to eat when I got back from the shop in the evening. Tonight we had leftover carnitas, LOL.

Annie

10 years ago

I'm so done with Turkey day, lol. I can't even look at the casserole thread. I don't even like seeing the words, haha. The title posted words. Will, not, open/read.

We keep finding the rotis things at yard sales. Always new in the box and vintage. Probably a hot item in the 70's but not every grill had the holes for them i suppose. Or DIY knowhow.
    We have a couple back-ups. They fail often. This one wasn't working but DH took it apart and re-wired. They make a weird grinding sound, not loud. We decided that is a good thing. If it slips and stops or fails, we know right away.

We usually do two chickens or leg of lamb. The duck was great. Even put a handful of asparagus on the potatoes during the final cooking minutes.

• ann_t
    10 years ago

Annie, with all you have to do, I don't know how you ever find time to cook.

Jasdip, Butter tart squares brings back memories of my mother.

Sleevendog, Wow. I love your outside oven.

Cooking2day, Great picture. That is what I call beautifully plated.

Playing catch up. A few of our recent meals.

Chicken and Green Beans in Black Bean Sauce.

Blanquette de Veau

Slow roasted leg of lamb

Potatoes and Rutabaga added to the pan the last 30 minutes.

Chicken Tacos

Leftovers for breakfast - chilaquiles

• Solsthumper
    10 years ago

Jasdip, wish I could grab one (dozen) of the scrumptious butter tart squares.

Annie, your cooking always looks good to me.

Ann, I remember the last time I made your tuna pâté, my brother-in-law, Mike, was over. He, Jim and I made it 'disappear,' like a hungry pack of wolves. Hoowwwl.

Cook2day, years ago, I stayed at the Maison Dupuy in the French Quarter, where I ordered their etouffee. Everything about that hotel was delightful, including the lady ghost on the top floor (a story for another time).
    The only thing that didn't pass muster was their crawfish etouffee. Maybe you should send them your recipe :)

Dinner last night was Middle Eastern, from a local restaurant. Tonight, I'll be making spice-rubbed chicken with megadarra.

Not dinner, but it almost was . . . pumpkin-shaped birthday cake in my new favorite (and somewhat unconventional) blue/green color.

There's pumpkin coming out of my ears; I put them in soups, breads, etc., and I see no end to the madness.

Sol

10 years ago

WOW.
    I need an ann-t margarita and taco delight to process that pumpkin.
    I'm posting a recent disaster pic for contrast. lol.
    I thought of making a tiny cutie dessert while making dumplings...
    I should have steamed them just two minutes before baking for 10 min. haha
    (dark chocolate and blueberries).
    Not good, the won-ton wrappers,... choc/blueberry delishious.
    Do not believe a cooker blog baking dumplings without a bit of steam/moisture first. I had doubts but tried it anyway...

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sol, that pumpkin cake is just amazing and the color is beautiful. Your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday. If not, Happy Birthday to the lucky recipient of that cake.

sleevendog, I'd have eaten the filling anyway, I do that regularly.

Ann T, everything looks delicious but I had to show Elery that lamb, he loves the stuff and just doesn't get it very often here. And, of course, now he wants etouffee too, LOL.

We had mayacoba beans in the crockpot along with some of last night's multigrain bread, I am still trying to catch Dave's books up from his last secretary who doesn't appear to have done much of anything. It'll be just a few hours a week when I can get the mess cleaned up, I think.

Tomorrow I actually have nothing planned, so maybe some cooking will happen.

Annie

• cooking2day
    10 years ago

Ann, those chicken tacos and then the chilaquiles made with the leftovers looks so good. They sort of look like migas. I wasn't familiar with them and had to google it. I can see them in my future. My biggest problem is remembering all the things I want to make. My list is really waaay too long.

Annie, I also had to look up mayacoba beans. Not familiar with them either. Did you like them?

Sleevendog, the dumplings sound really good. I agree about the steaming.

Sol, we stay at a B&B not too far from the Maison Dupuy called La Maison Marigny. Etoufee is one of our favorite foods. I really love cajun and creole cooking. It's so "regional." That pumpkin cake is absolutely amazing. How long did it take you to make that?

Clam chowder and cheesy biscuits made for a warming meal on this cold, snowy night.

This post was edited by cooking2day on Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 20:53

10 years ago

Delicious looking chowder. My style as well. Chunky, nice thin broth.
    Fortunately i have soups and stews planned...the hand written header notes on my
    shopping list.
    My oven died last night. I sensed it was just coughing along the past couple years.
    Re-heating lasagna it went cold and no response. The replacements have been in the garage for, ahem, almost a year. But some electric work needs to be done and work gets busy...
    and time slips by. We were hoping it would choke along till after the holidays. Don't mind really. Nice to have a kick-in-the-butt to finally get things switched out.
    Devastating would be a fridge or freezer failing, knock on forehead.

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

So many delicious looking and sounding dinners on this thread!

I mentioned on another thread that DD was home for a two week visit after four years in the Army so dinners were many of her favorite foods she missed and some new ones that she made for us.

My faithful camera went into a death spiral a couple of months ago. I bought a new one but returned it because it was too complicated to use so am still looking for the right one. I did try taking a photo with my iPad of one of this weekend's dinners - grilled marinated lamb chops, salt-baked potatoes and steamed Savoy cabbage with orange butter and pumpkin oil.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cooking2day, I really like the mayacoba beans. They're originally from South America but grow well here in Michigan, just about 25 miles from me at Carlson-Arbogast Farms, a big local bean producer. They are creamy and mild and go well in a lot of applications.

Your clam chowder looks delicious, yum.

Sleevendog, sorry about that oven. Mine did the same thing a few years ago, died right before Christmas. The only year without cookies, LOL.

ruthanna, I'm glad you're enjoying your visit with your daughter. Your lamb chops would sure be right up Elery's alley.

My camera is also limping along. Elery tells me I need a new one but in 4 years I've actually learned to take a picture, use "macro", use the zoom, turn off the flash and import to my computer. Nothing else, all those buttons and gadgets and "applications", I don't even know what they are. Ugh. All the new ones are too complicated, I don't even want to think about it. (sigh)

What's for dinner? Last night we had ratatouille, before that Jambalaya, before that I don't remember. It's been busy here.

Annie

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Ann, I've never had a leg of lamb, but your slow-roasted dinners sure make me want to try it!!!

Sol, your pumpkin cake pic is worthy of framing! I love the colours and the artistic placement of everything. Maybe a jigsaw puzzle. Hmmmm.

Cooking, your chowder and biscuits is filling, comfort food.

Ruthanna, your lamb chops are making me drool!

Dinner tonite was pork chops with an orange juice/brown sugar and ginger sauce, latkes (hubby loves them, just like hash browns)! I cut cauliflower into florets and sauteed them in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, added a bit of water and let them cook until the liquid evaporated and the cauliflower was caramelized. Very good!

I made dinner rolls today. I've always baked them in a muffin tin so that each roll was individual and browned all around. Today I put them in a glass baking dish so that they would pull apart. Oh my, they are heaven!!!

I gave 6 to my neighbours so we have 6, as shown here. Might have to make more tomorrow!

• cooking2day
    10 years ago

Ruthanna, Yummy on the lamb chops! I've never made them before, but they sure do look tantalizing. Bet you had a great time cooking for your daughter for those two weeks.

Jasdip, If only I could snatch one of those rolls off the screen... They look so good.

Sleevendog, Here's hoping you got your oven fixed. I agree with you; better that than the freezer or fridge.

Using up some leftover steak for supper tonight.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

Cooking 2day - That leftover steak salad looks beautiful.

Jasdip - you are a role model for perfect dinner rolls.

Ruthanna - Very inviting lamb chops.

Sleevendog - won-ton wrappers,... choc/blueberry, ---- very inventive!

Sol - Poetry in pastry, as always.

Ann_t - Everyone of your dishes is equally amazing.

Annie - you have some very professional photos there.

John - Very artistic pitures.

-- - - - - - - - - - - -
    A few recent concoctions from the kitchen:

dcarch

Pulled pork, black bean sauce

Sous vided chicken, farro

Calamondin orange pork, purple asparagus

10 years ago

Ooh, baby bok choy. Need to put that on my list. A good winter green, and asparagus i never kick out of the covers...another winter favorite.
    Looks delicious dcarch!

When it rains it pours...and snows...
    Another storm on top of the last...and my oven died. But,
    it is a double wall oven and the bottom is working. Took that chance. I have used it for dehydrating things and have used it maybe once a month? The OPO, (original previous owner) did save all brochures and i have a few different dishwasher replacements manuals, but could this be the original oven from 1962? Yikes. Lovely and simple. All other appliances we replaced. We even have the lighting package receipt and order and the floor tiles and cork entry paperwork, etc.
    Oddly voo-doo in that 24hr time-frame, the microwave quit. We don't use it, or so we thought. It is a mini cube in the pantry. I took it apart and just a tiny spring held by a bit of plastic snapped. Grr. Silly design flaw. I might use it to heat some leftover soup but not really missed... Then the dishwasher went limp...did not clean, ... it had re-set somehow to 'delicate' cycle. I kept a cool head and fixed. Then the fridge, both the upper and the lower freezer drains clogged...put the contents out in the snow on the deck and took a hair dryer to the drains...
    Fixed...
    So we have had some easy standards...adobo chicken and cod cakes. Hope to put in new ovens next week.
    We have heat, and firewood if we loose power.
    Crazy week.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I love baby bok choy, Dcarch and yours looks fantastic.

I had some black beans that I wanted to use up, so I made black beans and rice. Onion, carrots, corn, chopped kale, garlic, black beans, seasoned with cumin and red pepper flakes. Served over brown rice and topped with chopped avocado. Going into the keeper binder for sure.

• cooking2day
    10 years ago

DC, your food looks really, really tempting. Very artistic, too, of course. I'd have a hard time choosing which plate to devour first.

Sleevendog, we have a woodburner too, but it's an outdoor one so if we lose power we still have no heat. I love the thing, but that's the downside. We do have a propane fireplace if necessary; though, propane is so expensive we use it as a last resort.

Jasdip, that looks good. I like every item on that plate. Especially the carrots and kale. I make a lot of meals using up leftovers. For instance, tonight's taquitos using up last night's leftover chicken.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I forgot to ask you Sleevendog, what is adobo chicken?

10 years ago

I just did a google image search of adobo chicken. (eew) lol
    My husband found a recipe years ago that i just did not like. So he made it when i was out of town working...and the anchovy pasta thing.
    I did a re-mix of it. Still fits the basic recipe. A marinade of soy, garlic, lots of bay leaves, a bit of spice...smoked paprika and a bit of sugar, we use maple sugar. Usually legs or thighs.
    I've never been a lover of chicken thighs but i remove the skin, bone in, and marinade over night. I can fit 12 thighs in a big sauce pan, meat side down, to simmer on low heat an hour with a big sliced onion, stalk of celery and a bit of sriracha. (Water/beer/wine to cover just barely halfway since the moisture from the chicken will release alot of liquid). Remove the chicken from the pan and roast in the oven while reducing the pan juices. (i often add a grain...rice or a mix like lentils, orzo(a pasta) or farro, maybe some beans, shelled edamame, a handful of greens like spinach or what i might have on hand). The thighs basically braise and the liquid does not have all the oily fat of earlier DH versions. Return the thighs to the reduced sauce and serve.
    For probably 20 yrs i did not like thigh meat. Just rich, dark and greasy.
    This one i like. Good leftovers for a lunch or meat removed from the bones for tacos.

Here is a link that might be useful: adobo chicken image search

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

We just finished breakfast.......Simmered apples over French toast with peameal bacon. Yum!

10 years ago

Tamales. Nice fat ones, lol. The ones that went to the freezer for my dad are a bit more carefully wrapped. (sorta)
    I also learned something new as i bought masarepa by mistake instead of masaharina and made stuffed corn cakes for breakfast. -a nice mistake

Here is a link that might be useful: Arepas

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What, Christmas is over and everyone stops eating? Not me, LOL.

sleevendog, I've never made a tamale, so I'm sure yours looks neater than mine would.

Jasdip, Elery and I both love peameal bacon, and it can't be had outside a small area of Canada. Most people haven't even heard of it. You reminded me that we need to make some more.

Cooking2day, my daughter and her family have one of those outside wood burners. It's great for heat, but not power, no wood burner. (sigh) The insurance companies aren't so wild about wood burning stoves in buildings anymore either. I'm thinking that when I get to the farm, I'll put a traditional wood burning stove in the tool shed, so if/when we lose power we can heat SOMEPLACE. Or maybe we'll just get a generator, LOL.

Anyway, what's for dinner?

We had Christmas, of course, a whole 'nother thread, and we had Christmas leftovers. We also had some nicely pan seared pork chops along with roasted fingerling potatoes, which are holding nicely in the cellar. A crockpot full of apples with cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins went well with the pork, and the apples are also from the cellar, the vestiges of the bumper fall crop of both potatoes and apples. Sautéed brusels sprouts with bacon and a few mushrooms that needed to be used, and it was supper.

I made some rosemary and black olive bread a few days ago:

I'm thinking the last of that loaf would make some good sandwiches with the liverwurst I just made.

The kids are coming over on New Year's Day, it'll be our final Christmas dinner, so it'll be healthy food after that!

Annie

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I spent the day in the kitchen yesterday, as the weather was stormy. French onion soup in the slow cooker, a new chicken breast recipe, baked ziti, and bran muffins were all made yesterday. I also browsed some recipes to use leftover ham, and red lentils. I found a soup that I'm going to make this week.

These are my bran muffins fresh out of the oven. They tend to spread and need to be cut apart, so are more square than round.

• ann_t
    10 years ago

Annie, I'm not a fan of liverwurst, but I'm very impressed that you made it. And it looks better than any liverwurst I've seen.

Sleevendog, I'd be very happy to have some of your tamales in the freezer.

Jasdip, would have liked one of your bran muffins for breakfast.

Just a few of the meals that we have had over the holiday season.

Short ribs over polenta.

Sesame Chicken and Broccoli.

Burger with homemade potato chips

Christmas Eve Tourtiere

Roast Turkey

Hot Turkey Sandwiches with homemade fries.

10 years ago

Our NewYears resolution is to try new things...and attempt to keep the kitchen clean so that might be possible...
    New Years day was an early hungry man's breakfast....served in bed. I heard the sizzle and enjoyed till i saw the mess....oh well.

Many new things this past week.

gnocchi a la parisienne

Here is a link that might be useful: gnocchi la parisienne

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dcarch, your pictures are gone!

Ann T, everything looks good, even the polenta! I must be hungry.

sleevendog, I have a recipe for a chicken soup with gnocchi, I keep meaning to make it and then forget. I've not made gnocchi yet...

Jasdip, it's a good time to bake, I should have made bran muffins, yours look really good. Instead, I made banana bread. Since I don't really like bananas I made small loaves and gave them all away, except one that I kept for Elery and Molly.

I have been eating and cooking. It's been cold here, wind chills today were about 30 below zero, an hour's worth of farm chores took us about half an hour, LOL. The coldest day in Michigan in years and what happens? I got the first egg in two months. Goofy chickens.

Anyway, we had enchiladas one night. I'm not good at it, and the tortillas all split, so it became a casserole, but it was still good. I used my grassfed beef and leftover pinto beans and home canned salsa. No fat in this year's beef at all:

The enchiladas were fine, the beans kept them together, LOL.

We had some chicken and noodles one night, with roasted butternut squash and green beans:

I canned some chicken broth.

It was as thick as the ghost pepper jelly I made!

I made some creamed spinach and cracked some eggs into spinach nests and made baked eggs.

Let's see, what else? We've had beans and cornbread, and breakfast for supper and pizza with the grandkids, but I didn't get pictures of any of those things. Bud and Makayla spent the weekend last weekend, and we made crepes. Bud had peanut butter, Makayla had Nutella.

Oh, and I bought a jar of Biscoff, but I don't know what the heck to do with except eat it with a spoon....

And that's what's for dinner.

Annie

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw, come on, SOMEONE has to be eating besides me!

I made roulades with round steak, red peppers, onions, mushrooms and provolone. OK, I cheated. This was really for dinner on January 1, LOL, with Hoppin' John and greens...

We had fresh porterhouse for Christmas, parmesan popovers and Brussels sprouts:

Elery's birthday was January 2, so I made him a blackberry cheesecake:

One day while I was helping Dave at the shop with books, Elery made some glazed salmon with sweet potato chips and a "pone" of biscuits.

He doesn't roll or cut biscuits, just puts the dough into a pan and bakes it, then cuts it into squares. These were garlic and cheese.

I baked some whole wheat/apple/carrot muffins and tossed in some fresh pineapple that needed to be used up.

And Elery made some chili sauce for chili dogs while I made some crunchy Asian slaw to go with them:

Yesterday we had borscht with croutons made with leftover cornbread, and before that we had paninis and veggie chips.

Now I have to get busy, I've baked bread and made dinner, but haven't gotten the pictures on line yet!

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 21:59

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What, everyone else has given up eating as a New Year's resolution?

Not me! Elery used Ann T's presalting method on a turkey, which I then roasted. We had mashed chipotle sweet potatoes and a cranberry/apple compote with it, very good.

Another day I baked bread, a soft and eggy wheat bread made with 6 eggs because I had thawed eggs for another project and didn't use them, so I needed to use them up.

It went well with some lentil soup that I cooked with these:

Yes, that's right.

It's oxtail, in spite of Makayla's assertion that "you can't eat that. It's........poopy." LOL

I also baked some cod with a crunchy coating, wrapped in lettuce leaves and drizzled with a soy and sesame sauce, Elery and I both liked them, along with an Asian style slaw and some oven roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

{{gwi:2075350}}

So, what's for dinner?

Annie

• melissaki5
    10 years ago

Ok first time participating in the what's for dinner thread. We got a bit of snow tonight and I got home late from work so I decided to make breakfast for dinner which is quick and easy. Two eggs served over turkey bacon, sautéed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and a little bit of grated white cheddar cheese.

• ann_t
    10 years ago

Melissa, Nice to see someone new participating. That is a dinner that my husband, Moe would be very happy with. He is happy with eggs any time of the day.

Annie, I love oxtails. Did Makayla give them a try?

~Ann

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Melissa, welcome to "What's For Dinner". I'm another person who would be happy to eat eggs any time of the day. Yours look perfect, just the way I like them. My own baked eggs (above) were a little too well done, I like them runnier.

Ann, Makayla wouldn't eat them. Not because they were oxtails, she'd have gotten past that I think, but because I cooked them with lentils, which she detests.

Annie

• craftyrn
    10 years ago

I'm not going to try to commend on all these delightful looking meals -- tho I'd love to know how you made those wheat/apple /carrot muffins Annie.

Just thinking I'm going to have to get my new camera's software in so I can participate again in this long running threads. And get this back up top.

Diane

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane, definitely get the software installed, I love to see everyone's pictures!

For the muffins I used a King Arthur recipe, which I took some liberties with. I added a grated carrot, some leftover chopped pineapple and a handful of dried cherries. They didn't rise high and were a little dense, but very good.

Apple Muffins
    These dark, moist muffins, studded with fresh apple, will keep well for several days. You don't even need to heat them up to enjoy them, which makes them a perfect after-school snack. The brown sugar sprinkled on top adds a nice, crunchy touch.
    1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
    1 large egg
    1 cup buttermilk; or 1 cup plain (not Greek-style) yogurt; or 3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt + 1/4 cup milk
    1 cup (4 ounces) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
    1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples; about 2 large apples, about 3/4 pound whole apples

1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin pan, or line with papers and grease the insides of the papers.

2) Mix together the butter, granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, beating until fluffy.

3) Add the egg and mix well, stopping once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.

4) Gently mix in the buttermilk or yogurt.

5) Stir in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

6) Fold in the chopped apples.

7) Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar on top.

8) Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

9) Remove the muffins from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.

Yield: 12 muffins.

In the meantime, my day started with a sore throat. We went to the farm where we found the water faucet had frozen so we hauled 150 gallons of water in a barrel to fill the stock tank. The tractor wouldn't start because of the cold so we towed a 1,000 round bale with the pick up. On the way home we broke a belt and limped the truck to Dave's for repair. (sigh) It was not a good day, and Elery made chicken soup when we got home.

OK, that Asian fish wrap picture just isn't right, it looks fine on Photobucket, but won't copy over so I'm deleting it.

Onward and upward! One night we had chicken quesadillas with refried beans and a side of wheat berries in a vinegar based dressing:

Another night we had brisket, using Carol/Dishesdone's recipe. I didn't use catsup and chile sauce, though, I used a pint of Chase's chile sauce and in place of the beer I used some apple cider. It was really good and we had mashed turnips, peas and some multigrain bread with it.

The multi-grain bread thread made me think about baking a loaf:

And Johnliu's Fried Chicken thread made me haul out the cast iron skillet and make some fried chicken, along with some homecanned kale, warm cornbread and chipotle mashed sweet potatoes.

Who knows what tomorrow might bring, in the kitchen or otherwise!

Annie

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

This is what I baked this afternoon.
    Honey whole-wheat and an apple pie. (AnnnT, don't look at the pie, yours are just out of this world perfect) :D

The breads indented in the middle when they were in the oven, but hubby says they're "smiling" and they'll still taste awesome.

• melissaki5
    10 years ago

Annie - that fried chicken looks perfect and I love the idea of the sweet potatoes. Can I ask what went in them? I'm guessing a little butter, chipotle sauce, and some type of liquid maybe chicken stock?
    Jasdip - your pie looks great! Mine never come out looking so good.

Ok for us on last Sunday we had NY strip steaks with cauliflower puree and creamed spinach. The steaks and the cauliflower puree were great the creamed spinach not so much. I used tapioca flour instead of regular and was wishing I would have just used regular.
    {{gwi:2075361}}
    {{gwi:2075364}}

Tuesday was braised pork tacos with pickled onions and home made corn tortillas. We both thought it was really, really good.
    {{gwi:2075365}}
    Pork Cooked and Shredded
    {{gwi:2075367}}

I left work early on Thursday and was able to make it home soon enough that Chris(DH) and I were able to have lunch together. A rare treat since Chris changed jobs in August and our work schedules are completely conflicting. I made a quick salad of spring mix, apple slices, walnuts, chopped dates, crumbled feta, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Makes me wish summer were here - this winter has been dreadful.
    {{gwi:2075369}}

• ruthanna_gw
    10 years ago

I have been cooking some good meals but nothing very exciting. Last night, we had what we call Ukrainian Church Chicken - bone-in thighs laid on a thick bed of onions, celery, parsley, lemon slices and other herbs, rubbed with oil, tightly covered and baked for two hours so they steam in the vegetable and fruit juices. Then they are browned under the broiler.

With another snowy day yesterday, I made split pea, ham, and barley soup, a pot of beef and turnip stew, dried cherry nut bread and a container of Creole sauce for later this week. I will be trading stew for some rolls one of my neighbors will be baking tomorrow.

Otherwise, we have basically joined the chipmunks and groundhogs in hibernating this winter.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Annie, your fried chicken looks perfect!!!
    We've been eating more sweet potatoes, and we love them mashed along with white ones. Roasted too, of course. I haven't mashed just sweet ones on their own.

Melissa, I love the looks of your salad! Everything you put in it appeals to me.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Melissa, your dinner looks delicious and I love creamed spinach. I'm sorry yours wasn't as good as expected, but I'll bet it was still pretty good.

The sweet potatoes are actually very easy. I just peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes, then simmer until tender. Mash them up with a masher and add a little bit of butter and chipotle to taste. Elery likes to add a little sour cream or cream cheese, but I don't think it needs it. As for the chipotle, I like chipotle, but I never use a whole can. I used to freeze the peppers in little containers but I've found that I can just dump the can into the food processor and puree it all, then keep it in the fridge in a small jar for at least a month. I just dip out as much as I want and put the rest away for another time. If you don't use much you could easily freeze the puree in ice cube trays and have a cube of chipotle puree when needed.

Ruthanna, Old Man Winter is definitely keeping a tight grip this year, isn't he? Split pea soup sounds yummy and warming, I've never added barley to mine, I'll have to try that. I usually add potatoes.

Jasdip, your bread and pie look just fine to me. Sometimes my bread caves in too, but it still tastes pretty darned good and I'd never pass up a piece of that pie.

Here we're still trying to thaw water and it's cold. We spent 5 hours outside thawing the water faucet that I use to fill the stock tank, then insulating it with straw, a good layer of snow and a roll of fiberglass insulation. Hopefully it'll work, we'll see tomorrow. It's supposed to be a high of 6F and a low of -5 tomorrow, then a high of 3F and a low of 1F on Tuesday, then it'll moderate a bit and climb back up into the teens.

We came home and had egg sandwiches and leftover chicken soup and were happy with that.

Annie

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Is it permissible to post what we ate for dinner last night sans photos? I forgot to take them. It was the last day of duck season, and DH got a single widgeon. I stuuffed it with some of my robo-rosemary (never been able to kill it, unlike some of my other forays into gardening), a slice of apple with a few cloves stuck into it, a slice of pear (because it was left on the cutting board from earlier in the day), and a slice of onion. The I roasted it at 425 for 15 minutes or so, rested it another 15, deglazed the little roaster with Madeira, added a little cream at the end. The result was extremely tasty, but tough. Any way around that? Anyhow, it was accompanied by roasted Brussels sprouts, rice, and a generic mixed salad. Dinner was not planned because the duck was a complete surprise at 5:00 p.m. The drake required a quick perusal of the Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook site. I had never eaten wild duck before.
    All of the upthread photos are marvelous, especially those featuring tots and dogs (grin), and those Barbie melons. Well, all of them.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kitchendetective, pretty much anything goes on What's For Dinner, LOL. The only thing we do is usually we start a new thread at 100 posts because the pictures start taking so long to load.

The duck sounds delicious, BTW. The only way I've found around the toughness of some wild fowl is to cook it "low and slow". A long slow braising makes for a more tender bird.

We've also done a couple in the smoker and they were very good, but mine were domestic Pekin ducks.

Annie

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals