SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

What's For Dinner - #252

ann_t
16 years ago

Michele, you are an artist. A very talented one. Those cookies are perfect.

Kathleen, great looking rack of ribs.

Last nights dinner was breaded pork tenderloin with mushroom gravy and sides were mashed potatoes, sauted cabbage and peas.

Tonight was homemade perogies. I made about 5 dozen potato and cheddar filled perogies yesterday and we had some of them tonight for dinner. They were served with sauted onions and side pork and fresh bratwurst sausage from the local butcher.

Comments (100)

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Oh sol, that apple blossom tart is just lovely. You have a lot more patience than I do, I just toss the apples into the pastry and it's good enough. (grin)

As for that Duncan Hines, well, Ashley actually likes it BETTER than homemade. Go figure, I told you she was a heathen. She made a box of brownies yesterday too, you think our girls are actually going to learn to cook someday? Nah, what was I thinking....

What was for supper last night? Nothing, because we had a potluck at work for lunch in celebration of Boss's Day. After I had the baked beans, the au gratin potatoes, the chili, some cheese and crackers and a brownie, I didn't need supper!

Of course, in true potluck tradition one employee brought in chips and another one brought canned peaches. Ah well, there was plenty leftover anyway.

Annie

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Sol, beautiful, love the apple tart!And the pork chop and rice pyramid...lovely!
    Annie, I remember those pot luck days..they would kill themselves to get to sign up for the plates and napkins first! LOL

• Related Discussions

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

Python 2.5.2.

Q

Comments (4)
    Python is a programming language. I'd expect to find it on a Linux machine but not a Windows machine unless you purposely installed it. I wonder if you might have installed a Windows program that depends on Python to run? I wouldn't think so but I suppose it's possible. Personally, I'd probably go ahead and remove it. I'd figure if any program broke, I could always reinstall it. Out of curiosity I might poke around in the program directory. See if there's a Python folder and if so, look inside for script files. I think they have a "py" extension and can be opened in Notepad. Even without knowing Python, you might still get a clue as to what they are/were used for. (Hopefully not for something like this)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #364

Q

Comments (100)
    2many, I actually am pretty good at mudding drywall. I'm slow and meticulous, but it looks good when I'm done! As for that chili dog, well, at least once every summer I go to the local A&W. They still have the carhops that come out to the car and put a tray on your window. I get a chili cheese dog and a frosty mug full of root beer. Then I'm done for a year, but that one chili dog is sure good. As for Zaxby's, we don't have them up here so I'm not familiar, but Elery had their chicken when he went to Tennessee for Aunt Etta's funeral, and he said it was actually pretty good. He had chicken every day he was there, though, and was pretty tired of it by the time he got home. It's one of those foods that you can pretty much figure isn't too unhealthy, a grilled chicken breast, LOL, so he got it every time he had to eat out. Then his sister made chicken and dumplings, and his sister in law fried chicken and there was chicken salad and, well, he came home and wanted chili! Artemis, the best advice I have is to just do it. Don't watch, be sure you get in there and do it yourself. You can watch YouTube and watch someone else and read every instruction in the world, but you really just have to do it. The first one is slow, the second one is better. By the time you're on three or four, it'll take you a couple of minutes and you'll be done. I'm assuming you are plucking by hand, I have that handy-dandy chicken plucker that Elery bought me for my birthday and it is an amazing time saver, but with seven birds, probably not worth the price. Plucking by hand takes me about 10 minutes per bird, and cleaning another 2 minutes. Scalding is a minute or so, so about 4 birds an hour. The plucker will pluck 2 chickens in less than a minute, so that's very helpful. We did 28 birds in 2 hours, packed on ice and "resting" overnight. It took longer than that to break them down and package them. I always let them sit on ice for 24 hours or so, it seems to make the birds less stringy and more tender. And don't forget to save the backs/necks for stock. Feet too, if you can get past the thought and trim the nails! Like you, I'm offended by the life animals have in the commercial food chain, and so I have to raise my own in a humane and sustainable manner. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. Annie
    ...See More
  • kathleen_li
    16 years ago

DH went to the farm and brought home some lovely lettuce, red onion, cucumber and tomato, and probably the last of this season's corn. I made some chicken cutlets in strips, toasted some pecans, added some feta cheese and bacon, and that was dinner!

{{!gwi}}

• User
    16 years ago

Kathleen

Your dinner sounds wonderful, I had soup :) The farmers at my market said next week will be their last week, since we have had such unseasonably warm weather we have had have corn, lettuce and tomatoes beyond what is normal, but a cold front is coming in next week so it will be summer before I have a nice homegrown tomato again ... sigh.

We are having a Harvest Festival next week at the market and I will probably load up on root vegetables.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Nancy, here's the Apple Cake..I call it a kuchen, recipe..
    I use the 10 in springform pan...
    Crust...
    1/2 lb butter softened
    1 Cup sugar
    3 Cups flour
    1 Tablesp baking powder
    1/2 teasp salt
    2 eggs
    teasp vanilla
    Mix all dry together, blend the sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla. Add it to the dry and mix .
    Grease a springform pan. Press dough into the pan
    Fill with fruit...apples mixed with sugar and cinnamon or blueberries, etc...

Topping
    16 0z sour cream
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg.
    1 T vanilla
    Mix together, pour over top of the cake and bake at 350 for 1 hr.

Unexpected company method......
    1 box yellow cake mix
    1 stick butter
    handful of oatmeal flakes
    Blend with fork till crumbled.
    Press into greased spring form pan,and up the sides
    Bake 10 min at 350
    Take out and fill with fruit..then add the topping and bake another 40 min or till topping is set, but not brown.

This cake is best eaten the first day, as the crust will get soggy on the bottom the next day.
    Cake mix method is sweeter crust, but very good and quick in a pinch. You can use less topping if you want.. You can cut the amt of sugar in the topping too.. I have used canned cherries, blueberries in a pinch, but fresh fruit is the way to go, a mix of different apples some soft, and the harder ones will still have some cruch. Excellent with fresh blueberries...

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Take and bake pizza...

Thanks for the recipe Kathleen..I liked the look of it too..

And your corn..yummm...and your chicken finger salad...

Sol, gorgeously present food as usual!

Where's the picture of Sam's handy work?

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thanks Terri, and Ohiomom..our farm usually makes it to Tgiving with squash, but like you the weather has been warm, so they still have corn and lettuce and caulif etc... But we haven't had rain for a long time, till today! I want to get some squash to save too. Do you think butternut will make it a month in the frig? I have never kept it that long...

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Kathleen, that produce looks so good, I hate the end of the season when the fresh stuff is gone. I'm still having butternut squash and potatoes, beets, swiss chard, carrots and onions, cabbage.

It's the time of year to start applesauce and sauerkraut, so Elery and I shredded 30 pounds of cabbage last week and started that in the basement. That left me with a head of fresh cabbage, I think I'm going to cook some for tonight, and maybe make some coleslaw. Hey, it's still fresh veggies if it's coleslaw!

It's been raining and in the 50s for the last couple of days, but the sun is out now. I made one of Ashley's favorites last night, Shepherd's Pie. I was out of ground beef, the steers just went to slaughter last week and the new stuff isn't ready, so I pulled a chuck roast out of the freezer and minced it up in the food processor. To my surprise it worked pretty well, I've been disappointed with a lot of things I've used the food processor for.

At any rate, it made a darned good Shepherd's Pie, along with some corn frozen from the summer's garden, some carrots that I canned last year, and some fresh potatoes from the garden for topping. Yeah, I'm still working on that "clean out the pantry" thing, LOL.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Now, I'm going out to plant my garlic while the sun still shines. I have yogurt started in the kitchen and sour cherries thawing in the sink for jam. I might bake some bread. It feels so luxurious to have a day just to do what I want! I suppose I ought to clean the bathroom at some point, though. LOL

Annie

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Annie, enjoy your day! I'd skip cleaning today! I am, the closets can wait. They've already waited a few months :)

Sol, what a feast! Love the falafel! My favorite! For me, it's always overstuffed and extremely messy but so good. I've never made it, my kids love them. Can you post the recipe pretty please?

Deanna, the lasagna looks good, I'm getting a craving!

I did some cooking at the beginning of the week, we had Ann's Stuffed Peppers without the peppers. Just used the filling to stuff some Portobello's. Excellent. Made baked meatballs with the leftover filling. I also ordered some bottles of Head Country BBQ sauce that David has mentioned, and Cindy had sent me some and it's great stuff. Grilled some chicken and slathered on the Head Country Hot. So good! It's a pretty day after the torrential downpours of yesterday, probably grill some ribs!

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Ann, Kathleen, Annie and Sol.....beautiful meals!
    Sol that prickly pear really does match the lovely bowl and plate....and the lighting is just perfect!

Yesterday I made one of my favourite salads...Spinach Salad with Orange-Balsamic Dressing. We both love it. For me it's because of the freshly squeezed orange juice and the grated orange zest mixed with the tangy vinegars mmmm. I had to add a little mixed salad leaves as well to fill out the plates. We had a little more of the never-ending beef stew....I always make too much!

Today we were out to the Austrian restaurant for their freshly made goulash with spaetzle. Wolf was in the mood for fish again, with German potato salad and I had their little mixed salad.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

OMGoodness so much good cooking going on!

Must say it has been less than stellar meals around here lately. Last night I thought I'd make a pizza rather than order one in. Well the whole damn thing stuck on the peel and flopped on to the stone and made one hell of a mess. I just burst into tears...Clive cleaned up and ordered us a pizza from my fav place.... good guy!

Things are semi back to normal so tonight I'm making Crab and Asparagus Crepes with a Mornay Sauce. I may even take a pic!!!

Sharon I made your Orange and Balsamic Vinaigrette at the cottage and it was a huge hit. We love it. I add mixed greens to the spinach too. We love it! Thanks for the recipe

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Annie, using up the pantry is a good thing! I should do that. I bring cans and boxes of food every week to church, yet somehow it gets filled again. Empty pantry syndrome..
    Your biscotti looked excellent, I haven't done that either. So many things on the list!
    Sharon, I love Spinach salad, but do not like cooked spinach, go figure, Lovely pics, as usual!

We had pork schnitzel with brandied apples, pierrogi and onion, and broccoli.

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Everything looks so good. I was out all day so picked up food to bring home. I can't wait to cook something good tomorrow and you all have given me inspiration. Thanks!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Dinner tonight was quick and very easy. Tried a new recipe I found online. Orecchiette With Ricotta, Bacon and Peas. I used Farfalle. It was a keeper! Larry and I had a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc in the glasses that Karen sent to me in the swap. I love these glasses! The wine was pretty good, too!

{{gwi:1466407}}

Sharon, glad things are starting to get back to normal!

Kathleen, dinner looks good!

SharonCB, Salad is copied and pasted. Thanks! As usual, great meals, great pictures! We had a doozy of a storm yesterday. Heavy downpours and some flooding. It was pretty bad for a few hours.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annie,I haven't made shepherds pie recently. Yours looks delicious. Comfort Food.

Sharon, Ive saved your Orange Salad dressing recipe. I think Moe would really like that. But it is Wolf's goulash that am craving.

Kathleen, cute little pumpkin napkin holders.

Carol, I like the sound of the combination of bacon, peas and ricoctta.

Awwww Sharon, sorry about your pizza. Clive really is a sweetie. I hope you will post a picture of your crepes.

Dinner Friday night was breaded chicken breast with homemade mac and cheese on the side. I can probably count on two hands, with fingers leftover, the number of times I've made mac and cheese in 30 years. I added tomatoes and fresh chives to this batch. Moe loved it and I thought it was good, but Mac and Cheese is just one of those foods that I've never really cared for.

I kneaded up some sourdough bread yesterday morning before heading to work. Used some of the dough to make a pizza for dinner. The remaining dough is back in the fridge and I'll make bread with it tomorrow. Should be good and tangy by then.

• woodie
    16 years ago

OMG - I know I don't live close enough - but please just let me know if you would have one piece of pizza leftover for breakfast, Ann? I just need to know!

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Jeez - it's only 9am here and now I'm craving pizza.

Sharon - the same thing happened to me with a homemade pizza a couple of weeks ago. I sat down in the floor and cried too. Sometimes you just gotta. Unfortunately, Clive wasn't here to order me a pizza.

My sister & BIL were here for the weekend to do some repairs on BIL's Mom's house - I cooked dinner for them yesterday evening. I roasted a chicken with some herbs de provence, and had cornbread dressing, mashed taters & gravy, cream peas, and big glasses of sweet tea. For dessert I made Double Chocolate Gooey Butter cake, a la Paula Deen.

Then I went out and got drunk. Yee haw! (No worries, I wasn't driving!!!) Has anyone tried the new Absolut Mandarin? It's heavenly. 27 more days till my sweetie comes home from Iraq for a break. Will I survive that long?

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out my Culinary School blog here

• ann_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Woodie, although there is pizza leftover, it would be the last thing I would have for breakfast or even lunch. I don't like leftover pizza. I saved two slices for Moe though for his lunch.

Pat, thanks for the link to your Blog. I'm enjoying reading it. Wish there were more pictures though.

Ann

• woodie
    16 years ago

Oh Ann, I meant for me, not for you :)
    I know you'd rather have a brownie!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Well, last night's dinner was soup, soup and more soup! Every one of them was a hit and there is none leftover!
    The weather was perfect, a nice change from the cold and rain we have had for weeks on end. I wore my flip-flops all night!

We had about 35 people, a nice fire and tons of food, wine and fun. I think I got to bed around 2am, a few stayed up until the wee hours!

I haven't figured out what dinner will be yet, today. It's 4pm, tho so I better get on it, huh? LOL

Linda

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Sorry about your pizza Sharon...I think I would also sit down and cry! Lucky you had Clive to solve the problem nicely.

Ann your pizza looks delicious and I would go for that one as I love olives on anything.

Kathleen your pork schnitzel dinner sounds lovely!

Pat I enjoy reading your blog. It looks like you're doing well at school too....(despite the sweetbreads lol.)

Linda I've never been to a soup party but yours sounds like it was a great success.

Today I spent part of the morning in the nearby Botanical Garden, taking over 400 photos and enjoying the greenery.
    So I didn't even begin to start lunch until after 2 pm.
    Luckily Wolf is very patient and understanding and is never so hungry that he minds a late meal.

I did my simplest roasted dinner....using some of Lou's Old Bay Seasoning in a small bag, shaking the skinless chicken pieces in that and then putting them on a roasting pan in my little countertop oven along with potatoes, thyme, squash, onions and a drizzle of oil. It was so easy....as there was nothing green on the plate I opened a jar of asparagus and we ate the spears cold.
    Lou, if you read this I'll say that Wolfram LOVES the Old Bay Seasoning that you sent. This time I used more than the last time I tried it and it really gave the chicken a great flavour.....Wolf said to thank you again!

Much later ......after my siesta....I put together a fresh fruit salad and squeezed the juice of two oranges over top.

• ann_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Woodie, too bad you weren't closer. You could have had the pizza for breakfast.

Sharon that chicken looks so good. Neat trees.

Linda, sounds like your soup party was a lot of fun. It is such a great idea for a party.

We had prawns again last night. Used them in a scampi sauce over rice. Quick dinner to make on the days that I work.

• User
    16 years ago

As usual, everyone's food looks so yummy. Cold pizza for breakfast, lol, back when I was single I worked in an Italian restaurant and one of the perks is we got to pick a meal off the menu. I always got the pizza for breakfast the next morning ... washed down with a Coca Cola !

Here in Cleveland with near 80 degree temps at the end of October, we ate light. A salmon casserole with sauteed potatoes and onions topped with a pie crust, green beans and roasted pumpkin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunday Dinner

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Great blog, Ohiomom! I went to college in Ohio, I am a NYer, but go Red Sox, lol! Almost 80 here too.
    Ann, I am craving your shrimp dish!
    Sharon, the desc of your fruit salad is as good as the pic!
    Linda, aren't you going to tell us the type of soups?? I want the details, lol!
    Went to a girls night bday dinner for friend..Name is Susan, so I thought this was appropriate. We had turkey with all the fixings..I brought dessert...

• User
    16 years ago

Kathleen ... you are just saying that cause we stomped your Yankees LOL ! I am sad for my Tribe ... there is always next year.

Are those real black-eyed susans ? Cake looks delicious !

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

OHIOmom........EEEWWWW! I am NOT a Yankee fan! DH has been a Red Sox fan for ages, I just go along!
    Yep, last of the real Susans...
    Hey, do you go "Krogering"? I always thought that was so funny when Ohio friends would say that instead of shopping...

• User
    16 years ago

Naw, never heard of "krogering", must be a southern Ohio thing ?

We do say pop instead of soda and until someone pointed it out I didn't realize we end our sentences with prepositions.

Oh, and Cincinnati is about 3 1/2 hours away .... LOL .... have no idea how many miles though :)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I was about 45 min from Pittsburgh..and 2 miles from Wierton, WVA. Great little houses turned Ital restaurants, first time I ever had home made gnocchi, delicious, but awful pizza. Like a saltine with sauce and pepperoni, no mozzarella...nothing like NY pizza.

• tammy518
    16 years ago

I'm from Northern Kentucky originally, just across the river from Cincinnati, and people said Krogering there. Ohiomom, we also said pop, but I've lived in Virginia for over 19 years, and retaught myself to say soda now.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

MMMM, just finished dinner and it was scrumptious! Tried a new recipe that I picked up at Fresh Market in Grand Rapids when we visited Annie last month. Creamy Tarragon Chicken. It was so easy and so tasty, it will be on my regular dinner rotation!

Kath;een, I posted the soups earlier, but here they are a gain: Tortilla Soup with Chipotle Crema, Turkey Spaetzle Soup, Navy Bean with Ham, Ribollita and Tomato Basil with Parmesan.

Here is a photo of the buffet before guests began arriving. I told you it is very casual, set it up in our partially finished basement which walks out to the back yard where we had the bonfire. It worked out very well. I made labels for each of the soups, too.

{{!gwi}}

Linda

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thanks, Linda, after I asked I saw you posted it on Eileen's thread! Sounds great!
    Tammy, glad you remembered that, I thought I was imagining things!
    We had pot roast noodles and gravy and red cabbage tonight...
    And today I managed to find the HUGE cupcake pan by Wilton I have been looking for....Can't wait to try it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: HUGE cupcake

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Oh, good looking meals, as usual. I have been experiencing computer problems or I should say connection problems but should be fixed tomorrow.

I tried a new soup recipe, Pureed flageolet, with a little cream, diced roma tomatoes and homemade croutons followed by crab cakes and Parisienne potatoes....no veggies or salad, I was too hungry.

I had to bake the leaf cookies, like so many others. I decorated some with veins but decided I liked them without, so half with and half without. An artist, I am not! I sent lots home with Trevor.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen, we had Krogers in MI but I don't remember hearing the phrase "going krogering" before. My sister shops at Krogers and lives just outside Columbus, OH.

Linda, I say pop too, always have, always will. I mix soda with scotch. I end sentences in prepositions and add an "r" sound to some words too.

I received my Pandoro Pans today from KA Flour. And am looking forward to the Pandoro-athon which will be so fun!

We had Lori's Bow Tie Pasta with Tomatoes, Sausage and Cream, as always, it was outstanding and one of my favorite dishes.

Michelle

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Marigene, we were posting at the same time! Your cookies are gorgeous!

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Marigene, great cookies! Glad you are back! Info on the big cupcake ..did you see it??
    Michelle, you must be royalty. King Arthur delivered to you faster than me! lol

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Marigene, I love your marbled cookies...those look great.
    Kathleen, I love that pan! How cute is that!

Tonight is panni sandwiches..I had turkey and several cheeses.
    The boys had Pizzawiches..LOL Mozz and pepperoni with a bit of Marinara heated to dip..

I've got butter in the KA...might start on The Lollipops, I've been meaning to make for a week!

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Yumm! Linda your chicken looks wonderful..could you please post the recipe. Love your soup set up. Do you actually own all those slow cookers or do you borrow them for the party?

Kathleen, that huge cupcake pan looks cool. Do you cook it with the lid on or separately in the two pans?

Marigene your dinner looks awesome! I think your cookies are beautiful and would say you are every bit an artist!

I have actually been cooking some pretty good dinners lately. Lots of moaning and groaning from the hubby, which is always a good sign,lol. The other night I made arroz con pollo which was wonderful, and will definately become a regular dish. My version was a little differant from the ones posted on the thread, but it was a recipe I had been wanting to try so I thought I would start with that.
    Last night we had beef/lamb gryo's with homemade pita. Turned out fantastic. I think only one of my pita's didn't rise. Very easy to make and I may never go back to store bought again! I even got a picture of one puffed in the oven! (not the best picture but you get the idea). If anyone wants any of the recipes let me know.
    {{!gwi}}

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

ssommerville, it is 2 sep pieces and you assemble it. I plan to cut both parts in layers and put filling in between. When I do it I will post. Have no one here to eat it now! I'd like the recipe for your pitas, if they are easy!
    Terri. post your lollipops, please!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

sure when I get them made....LOL

• ann_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marigene, lovely dinner from soup to dessert.

Shelley, homemade pita is so much better. And the best part is you really don't need a special recipe for pita. I've made them using both the French and Italian bread recipes, including sourdough.

I bought a whole beef tenderloin yesterday and cut it into three roasts. Froze the roasts and used the tail end and some of the side pieces in dinner last night. Tenderloin tips in a green peppercorn sauce. The meat was nice and rare.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

OK, Ann, you got me with the beef, perfectly rare and it looks delicious. I'm hungry.

For lunch I had a spoonful of peanut butter and a cup of coffee, no breakfast because I had a Department Heads meeting. Supper last night didn't happen either, I made a big pot of suce for lasagna that Amanda is serving at the kids' birthday party on Saturday.

I also baked sugar cookies so Makayla and I can frost them tonight. They won't look like Marigene's, but they'll be good.

Annie

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Annie...eat.

Ok, I have a picture to show I have been diligent on vacation...this paella is from a mix that I think Cathy/Mustangs sent me...a loooong time ago. Anyhow, it was good with some additions of pork in criollo sauce and then the peppers that mah man roasted.

I'm keeping an eye on him here..(the pic has a note if you click and enlarge)

And the result...

Well...we're off to an owners' party in a bit so I'll turn the computer over to him. I guess it will be WFD 253 in a heartbeat. Maureen

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Ann, your beef looks delicious!

Man, all the fun cookies being baked, too! Wish I had time (and talent)to get all creative like that!

You got it, Shelly. Here is the recipe and my notes at the bottom. Enjoy!

Creamy Tarragon Chicken
    From Fresh Market-Grand Rapids, MI

4 boneless, chicken breast halves
    Salt & pepper to taste
    3T all purpose flour
    2T olive oil
    1T onion, finely chopped
    1/4 c white Bordeaux wine (you could use any white wine)
    1T fresh tarragon, chopped
    1/4 c chicken broth
    3T butter
    1/4 c heavy cream

Season the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, dredge in flour. Set aside chicken and remaining flour.

In large sauté pan, heat olive oil over mediumh igh heat. Brown the chicken 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Set aside and keep warm.

Add onion to pan and cook 1 minute. Pour wine into pan and increase heat to high. Deglaze pan by cooking until almost all the liquid has evaporated, stirring to loosen browned bits on bottom of pan. Reduce heat to medium low and add reserved flour, stirring to form a thick roux. Stir in tarragon and broth. Return chicken to pan and cook until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear, about 10 minutes.

Remove chicken to plates, add butter and cram to pan and heat through. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.

10/22/07 Really good and very quick and easy. On the table in about 30 minutes! I used 2 breasts but made the same amount of sauce as the recipe calls for four breasts. I like the sauce a lot and would definitely do it that way again.

Linda

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ann, that does looks delicious! Melt in your mouth tender...
    Linda, thanks for the recipe!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Ann!!!!!!!!! Sure show me that amazing beef...and I'm not eating it right now..wahhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Linda, What do you serve with the Chicken..The recipe sounds really good. And I like 30 minute meals!

Annie, you're meals are sounding a bit like mine..
    I've not been eating much either.

Today at 10:30 was a grilled turkey and cheese.

2:00 was a Snickers...(that was the most "balanced" product in the teachers lounge machines at school!)
    4:00 small Wendy's Fry on the way home from school...

Dinner...I've got an 8lb Pork Shoulder in the oven...been there since 10:45 at 300F..gonna check on it in a minute..
    it will be Carolina Style BBQ...

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Terri, I just served it with white & wild rice and buttered peas. You could serve it with potatoes or rice pilaf, maybe a salad....

Tonight was Mediterranean Pasta. Had all the stuff on hand and was in the mood for pasta! I love this stuff, and there's enough left over for me to take for lunch tomorrow....YAY!

I have a pork tenderloin thawing in the fridge to try something new on Friday....I'll let you all know if it's good!

Linda

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Kathleen, thanks so much for the recipe. Will be making that near the end of the week!

Annie, how do you do all you do on a spoonful of peanutbutter? I'd be passed out!

Ann, my mom is looking for a recipe for a dinner party and that looks fantastic,(I gave her your salisbury steak one and she was looking for something not too fancy, and because to me the salisbury steak is good enough for company, especially the gravy)! So could you please share your recipe or technique for your tenderloin recipe?

Kathleen here is the recipe for the pitas.

3 c bread flour or all purpose
    1 tbsp honey
    2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    1/4 c warm water
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 c to 1 c warm water
    1 tbsp olive oil

Mix yeast honey and warm water in bowl til foamy. In processor or in a bowl with a wooden spoon, mix flour and salt. When yeast is ready add too flour mixture along with olive oil and 3/4 c water. Mix or process til mixture comes together (may need more water). Transfer to a floured surface and knead for about ten min until smooth and soft. Lightly oil a bowl and put dough in and turn to coat. Cover and let rise until doubled 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on room temp. Punch down and divide into balls slightly smaller than tennis balls. On a floured surface flatten each ball into a disc and then roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Put on a floured surface, cover and let rest 30 min.

Baking, I set my oven at 500F and used a baking stone in the very bottom of the oven. I used a pizza peel and cooked two at a time until they puffed (2-4 min) cooked about 1 min more after they puffed and then flipped and cooked another minute. I then put them in a large metal bowl that was covered with a damp towel until they were cool enough to put in a plastic bag. (I don't know if this step was necessary or not but I heard it helped keep them soft). Its important to let oven come back to temp before cooking the next batch.

Note: I think AnnT cooks hers on baking pans lined with foil in the upper and bottom third of her oven, (correct me if I am wrong Ann). Recipe said it made 5 6-inch pitas, but I got 9 out of it. Original recipe called for sugar but I subbed the honey as I saw it on someone's blog and it looked good! Could also sub 1 c whole wheat flour for one of the white.

Shelley

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

DH made eggplant parm, meatballs and rotini.
    And a prayer for dear Lou, the fluffy cheesecake man and his dear wife....we are all thinking and praying for you!

• ann_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Shelley. It isn't me that bakes them on cookie sheets. I cook all my breads on a preheated stone including pita. Preheated to 500°F. I seem to remember someone posting that they baked them on cookie sheets though. Can't remember who it was.

Linda, delicious looking pasta dish. Looking forward to hearing about the new pork tenderloin recipe.

Traditional roast chicken dinner tonight.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Shelly, I bake pita bread on baking sheets in my oven, but I tried using two sheets at once, the top and bottom third of the oven which didn't work very well. One sheet at a time works best, the sheets must be really hot. Both sheets are in the oven at once, but only one has bread on it, the other is just heating, then I switch baking sheets. Finally, it puffs every time!

As for the peanut butter, that's often my "breakfast". I seldom eat before 10 a.m., I just don't like to, it unsettles my stomach. My staff laughs when they see me at my desk with a spoon in my mouth, LOL, but I like just plain peanut butter.

Supper tonight? Cookies! Makayla and I made orange, green and purple frosting, then frosted cookies orange with green spider webs, green with orange and black sprinkles and purple with orange spider webs. They were very "ooky spooky" according to Makayla.

I went to the farm today for the farrier, did cookies with Makayla and came home because someone wanted to drive Ashley's Saturn (which I'm trying to sell because she bought her new car). Of course, the blasted thing wouldn't start. Grrrr....

I ate two cookies with Makayla, and now I'm just sitting down with a cup of tea. It's too late for anything very substantial, my choices appear to be more peanut butter or some toast. I think I'll go for the toast! Maybe I'll put some peanut butter on it, and live a little dangerously. LOL I'll add a little candy corn for dessert....

Elery will be here tomorrow and Wednesday, so I'll eat well then because he'll cook!

Annie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!