SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

The latest wedding cake/cupcake tower

annie1992
10 years ago

Yes, I've been baking again. My stepdaughter got married, a very small affair, and asked me to make the wedding cake. Black and white color theme, just like Ashley's, it must be fashionable.

Anyway, she emailed me some pictures and decided she really wanted a cupcake tower. Double bonus for me, it was far easier to transport the cupcakes 3 hours away than a multi-layer monstrosity. The "poofy bow" made of fondant, though, rode on my lap the whole way. I broke several loops and a ribbon tail and put the blasted thing together about 4 times, so I didn't breathe until it was on top of the cake and I walked away.

So, here's the "poofy bow". The loops are made separately and then stuck into a big glob of wet fondant, then allowed to dry.

Yes, it fit on top of the cake. The top layers were gluten free as the bride was diagnosed as celiac several years ago. It's one of the very few times that I gave up and bought a cake mix. King Arthur Flour's chocolate. It didn't taste awful...

I spent 2 days baking and decorating 6 dozen cupcakes. They filled every square inch of my counters that didn't hold fondant loops and the top cake layers! And the bride asked for them to look like roses, so I got some practice on that too.

She also wanted cake pops. (sigh) I hate fiddly little tedious projects, but made 25 chocolate and 25 vanilla cake pops...

Which were then packaged separately into cellophane bags and tied with black ribbon. Yeah.....I didn't enjoy that.

I made chocolate cupcakes with Snickers Bar middles, vanilla cupcakes with a red velvet "heart" and carrot cupcakes with a cream cheese filling:

And put them all together into a tower...

Elery and I have had three daughters and a son get married in the past couple of years. Thank goodness our supply of children is officially exhausted!

Annie

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County