SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Black Magic , Good for The Palate? The Body?

A few years back, I traveled to the Far East. When I was in China, I learned a lot more about Chinese cooking.

When you think of Chinese food, you think of delicious food with copious amounts of MSG in a takeout box.

In fact there is an aspect of Chinese cooking that's rather culturally unique. The wisdom of the Chinese kitchen goes beyond merely pleasing the palate thru the alchemy of seasonings.

Traditional Chinese cooking is very much part of medicine, healing and good health.

There is a great deal of overlapping between good eating and medicine. Every Chinese mother is a walking herbal doctor in every household. Whenever there is conversation about food, you seldom hear the topic being how to make food tastier; rather it is always about health. In NYC, in all the Chinese grocery stores, there is always a large area which sells all sorts of herbal medicinal stuff.

One of the interesting health ingredients which fascinated me when I was there was a thing called Black Garlic. I was fascinated by its supposedly much better health benefits than regular garlic and that it also happened to taste uniquely good.

Regular garlic has been used traditionally and historically throughout the world for its exceptional health benefits. It contains anti-microbial, antibiotic and anti-fungal agents in its active ingredients. It is supposed to be anti-cancer, lower cholesterol, blood pressure etc. Unfortunately, consuming garlic is a little anti-social. It can give you garlic breath and people can smell you from some distance away even a few days later. It can also create gastronomic problems for some.

So, what is black garlic?

It is regular garlic subjected to a special process with nothing artificial added to it; no salt, no sugar, nothing, just pure garlic. Some call it fermented, but it is not. The result is a magical transformation of garlic that is very black, sweet and fruity with no strong garlic odor or sharpness. Furthermore, Black garlic contains ten times the antioxidants and more other beneficial compounds. You don't get bad breath or body odor from eating a lot of black garlic.

So what does it taste like?

Molasses-like in its deep black color and it's slightly syrupy and with a sweet tone. The first taste is remotely garlicky, quite tame. In addition there are strong umami-rich fruity-savory notes.

So how is it used in cooking?

Recipes include everything from salad dressing, bruschetta and pasta sauce to baked banana. In another garlic thread, I hinted that garlic can indeed be used in desserts. This is what I was talking about. Black garlic has been used in many sweet treats in the Far East.

There are many black garlic recipes you can find on the internet. Also, You can just about add it to any recipes. It will impart a richly-flavored taste with plenty of umami and some beautiful color. It really adds a new drama to your recipes.

So who uses black garlic?

Black garlic has become the latest "it" ingredient for chefs. It's the new plaything of gourmet restaurant kitchens across the U.S.. and its recent appearance on Top Chef and Iron Chef television shows created newfound fame for this unique thing. It is the new superfood.

In the other thread about "menu", the restaurant Palate got my respect because they have one of the very difficult dish on the menu, i.e. sous vide cooked Wagyu beef and another dish using black garlic.

So where do you get black garlic.

There are many places now sell black garlic, including Amazon.com and Whole Foods. Black garlic is not cheap, about $5.00 to $6.00 a head, and I have been using them in many recipes as well as for snacks a few bulbs every day. Being a firm follower of "Molecular Gastronomy", it is a very good thing that I have figured out how to and have managed to produce my own black garlic. This past year, using a machine which I designed and constructed, I have been able to have a good supply for my own use and to give to friends and relatives.

That explains why I needed 12 lbs of garlic the other day.

I would love to hear your experiences if you have had or used black garlic before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer #1:

Whether my current good health is a result of long term use of black garlic is not proven. I am not recommending it as a health supplement to anyone. You will have to do your own research and decide for yourself. I am only pointing out that it is used by many in cooking because it makes food taste good.

Disclaimer #2

For those of you who sometimes feel that my "tone" is "know-it-all", "authoritative", "obnoxious", --- what-not, I apologize in advance. This is the way I write, discuss, exchange, share information. In no way that I am saying that you are stupid.

Black Garlic Salad Dressing and Rosemary Infused Black Garlic

Comments (60)