SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Boston Brown Bread in a crock pot

annie1992
10 years ago

Well, you know me, I see something unusual or that I haven't tried, I just have to....

Anyway, does anyone besides me remember that Boston Brown Bread that came in a can, had raisins in it, I think. I remember Grandma buying it occasionally, and I thought I remembered I liked it.

During a check of new recipes at King Arthur Flour, I came across a recipe for Boston Brown Bread, steamed in a crockpot. Wha.......? Well, you know I had to try it.

You mix the batter, pour it into wide mouth canning jars. Grease the jars well, add batter, apply greased lids with rings just tight enough to keep the lids from coming off. Put the jars into the crockpot, fill halfway with water, bake on high for 2 1/2 hours.

It was a bit tricky getting the stuff out of the jars, but I perservered. (grin) They smelled good cooling on the racks and I think would be delicious toasted with some cream cheese.

With whole wheat, rye, cornmeal, molasses and buttermilk, no eggs, no fat, no sugar (although the recipe said to add 1/4 cup of brown sugar for added sweetness, I didn't), I was impressed. It was sweet, moist, more like quick bread than anything. I'll definitely make it again, although the recipe made 4 breads. Maybe it'll freeze well. I hope.

Annie

Comments (4)