Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T&T Recipe for Sugar Cookies with less sugar

Posted by mboston (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 21:29

I'm looking for a recipe to use with my grandson for cutting out sugar cookies. His mom really limits the amount of sugar he gets (in fact any sugar is too much in her eyes). I really want to do cutouts for Halloween with him as he loves playing with playdough and he got so excited when I showed him the Halloween cookie cutters.

I've looked at so many recipes and I can't really tell what is "low sugar" vs those with other things that sweeten them.
So any tried and true ones that will be easy to use. I am concerned about getting them from the cut out stage onto the cookie sheet without them falling apart, too.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T&T Recipe for Sugar Cookies with less sugar

Here is the recipe that I have many, many times. It's not overly sweet.

CREAM CHEESE COOKIES

Here's my long time favorite cut out cookie dough. If I remember correctly it was originally in a BH+G magazine in the late 70's. I usually double it in my KA mixer and usually make at least three bowls of the dough. I have a very large tree shape cookie cutter (about 9") and love to make and decorate special cookies for those that love cutouts.
This dough is one that you can roll thick, if you like a softer cutout, yet still holds up.

1 1/2 C sugar
1 C unsalted butter
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 1/2 C flour (I like unbleached)
1 tsp baking powder

In a mixing bowl cream sugar, butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
Add egg and flavorings, beat smooth'
Stir together the flour and baking powder, add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.

FOR CUT-OUT COOKIES
Chill dough. Roll out on surface dusted with a mixture of 1/2 powered sugar and 1/2 flour, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick depending on your preference. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet ( I line with parchment paper) and bake in a 375� oven 8-10 minutes. Watch for the edges to just barely begin to brown if you like a moist cookie. Cool and frost.

COOKIE PRESS COOKIES

Divide dough into portions and add desired colors. Force through cookie press onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 375� oven 8-10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. Before baking brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sprinkles if desired.
Note...I have added about 4 oz of almond paste to the dough when making the cookie press cookies.....yum!

FAVORITE ICING FOR CUTOUT COOKIES

2 c powered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp softened butter
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 egg white
1/4 C milk or cream

Combine egg white and milk, set aside.
Beat together powered sugar, butter and flavorings.
Add small amounts of the milk mixture until icing is spreading consistency.
Tint with desired colors.
Using the egg white will give you a nice finish on the icing, the butter will keep it soft on the inside.

Nancy

o

I use Martha Stewart's recipe and have for years.

Basic Sugar Cookies
To make icing, sift 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar into a small bowl. Whisk in 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, water, or lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If too thin, whisk in more sugar; if too thick, add more liquid.
Expand
Everyday Food, December 2003

Prep Time 90 minutes
Total Time 2 hours
Yield Makes 32

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Assorted candies, sprinkles, or colored sugars, for decorating (optional)

Directions

In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat until combined. Divide dough in half; flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic; freeze until firm, at least 20 minutes, or place in a resealable plastic bag, and freeze up to 3 months (thaw in refrigerator overnight).
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment. Remove one dough disk; let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Roll out 1/8 inch thick between two sheets of floured parchment, dusting dough with flour as needed. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Using a spatula, transfer to prepared baking sheets. (If dough gets soft, chill 10 minutes.) Re roll scraps; cut shapes. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake, rotating halfway through, until edges are golden, 10 to 18 minutes (depending on size). Cool completely on wire racks. To ice cookies, spread with the back of a spoon. Let the icing harden, about 20 minutes. Decorate as desired.
I like this on because it only uses 1 cup of sugar.

Linda

o

From when I used to cook for a diabetic....I have this in my file. I have never made then so I can't vouch for the taste.....but here's the recipe!

SUGARLESS HEART COOKIES
Exchanges
Yields about 6 dozen
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 (0.3-oz.) pkg. mixed fruit sugar-free gelatin
Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
In a mixing bowl, cream together the margarine and gelatin. Beat in the egg substitute and vanilla. Mix together the flour and baking powder and add to the egg mixture, mixing well. Chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 400�F.
Roll the dough mixture out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out cookies with heart-shaped cookie cutters (or any shape you desire). Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned and the cookies are set. Cool on wire racks. Note: You can change the taste of these cookies by trying different flavors of gelatin.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (2 cookies) equals 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat ++++ ALSO: 59 calories, 49 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 5 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 4 gm fat

I think I might try them with orange jello and add some cinnamon and ginger and use Halloween shaped cutouts.

o

You could also roll and cut out a basic pie dough. Brush with beaten egg white and decorate with a sugar and cinnamon mixture or sprinkles. The topping would be the only sugar.

o

Any others? Thank you so much. Hope to try some this weekend!

o

Here's the recipe I use. It makes a lot of cookies. It's not a terribly sweet cookie - but you could probably cut the sugar back a bit more. Right now it's 2 cups sugar to 5 cups flour. It's a really easy recipe.

Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups Butter, softened
2 cups White Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.

2. Beat in eggs and vanilla.

3. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Wrap in plastic, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Roll out dough on floured surface about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets.

For larger cookie cutters - bake about 11 minutes until edges just beginning to lightly brown. (makes about 40)

For smaller cookies - Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven (until edges are just beginning to brown lightly).

Cool completely. Frost or decorate. (These freeze nicely as well)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to pics of this recipe (but my gluten-free version)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here