SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Grinding wheat

annie1992
10 years ago

Elery finally broke down and ordered some wheat berries for flour. From Montana Wheat, they were GMO free and the hard red variety so I could make bread:

He dragged out the coffee grinder and with some breaks to let it cool off between batches, ground enough for me to bake two loaves of bread.

I figured I'd go with what works for me, so I took my usual Honey Wheat recipe, plopped everything into the Zo and hit the dough button. It looked good during my periodic checks (i.e., when it occurred to me to check, LOL), and so I dumped it into a loaf pan and let it rise, then into the oven it went.

Here it is, the final product:

It rose well without any additional Vital Wheat Gluten or dough amendments or orange juice for acidity, etc. It was nicely moist and not too dense and toasts well. I made a second loaf when Elery's sister and BIL visited. He's diabetic and can't eat the sweet/white/squishy stuff, so he was happy with homemade toast and homegrown eggs for breakfast, along with some of our home smoked Canadian bacon.

It was well worth the time to grind the flour, but if I were going to do this much, I'd sure buy a grinder!

Annie

Comments (3)