Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searing removes seasoning from cast iron?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 21:16

I had seasoned a cast iron grill pan, the kind with raised ridges on it, which I thought would be perfect for making a London Broil, as it could go from the stove top to the oven. But for some reason, the searing removed the seasoning, right in the center where the meat was in contact with the pan. The rest of the pan is still brown and shiny with the seasoning, but now there's this grey circle in the middle.

Was it the high heat that did it? Should I avoid using cast iron for searing? Maybe I will just have to transfer from a conventional pan to the cast iron when I put it in the oven.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searing removes seasoning from cast iron?

Wasn't seasoned enough. Keep using and seasoning it. Cast iron, after it gets seasoned enough, is excellent for searing.

o

I agree, keep using it. I sear steaks in my old cast iron pan regularly and don't compromise the seasoning at all.

Annie

o

I use a little shortning on a paper towel to wipe the pan before I sear meat. See if that might help. I also don't use the high heat, just med. high on my stove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here