SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Vegetarian Recipes for People that Don't Like Veggies

booberry85
16 years ago

I thought we could give Vacuumfreak a hand in his efforts. He's going vegetarian for a month. Unfortunately, there's quite a few veggies he doesn't like.

Bobby, I know you've posted the list before, but could you refresh our memories of the list of veggies you don't like. In the meantime, here's a couple recipes to try. Hope shellfish is ok!

Tortellini and Scallops with Pesto

This is easy and showy. This is a good dish for company. Serves at least 4.

Ingredients

1 package of tortellini (spinach, cheese or mushroom fillings work well)

1 lb sea scallops

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon olive oil

to ½ cup pesto sauce

Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain. Place in a large bowl.

Rinse scallops and pat dry. In a frying pan melt butter and put in olive oil. Cook on high heat about 1 minute on each side, until they lose their translucent appearance. Careful not to overcook or they will become rubbery. Add to tortellini bowl.

Add pesto to tortellini bowl and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately.

(Basil Parsley) Pesto

I like to make this one a lot during the summer when I have an over abundance of parsley and basil. This recipe comes from Favorite Recipes with Herbs by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good. This makes 2-3 cups.

Ingredients

3 cups basil leaves, fresh

½ cup loose packed parsley

3-5 garlic cloves

1 ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated

½ to 3/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts

1 cup olive oil

Place basil and parsley in a food processor or blender to chop. Add garlic and nuts. Process to mix. Slowly add olive oil and process until smooth. Stir in cheese.

Hints tips tricks and how to cheat

Try replacing the parsley with mint leaves.

Comments (12)

• canarybird01
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good idea Booberry.....I have a few recipes that I made up from the glycemic index diet cookbook.
    Here's a good one for you Bobby. You will have to freeze part of this as it'll be too much for you for one meal:

This is a delicious meatless baked vegetable casserole. The crumbled cheese, nut & seed topping takes this over the top flavour-wise.

Serves 4 - 6

1 TBSP olive oil
    1 lg onion, chopped = 2 cups chopped
    1 medium leek, sliced (light green and white parts only) = 2 cups chopped
    1 medium courgette, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) pieces
    1 large carrot, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) pieces
    1 cup (4 oz) (125 grams) sweet potato, peeled and cut into
    1 inch (2 cm) chunks
    1 1/2 cups (4 oz) (125 grams) mushrooms, quartered
    1 stick celery, cut into 1/2 inch (1cm) slices = 2/3 cup sliced
    1/2 a medium red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1 inch (2cm) slices = 1 cup sliced
    1 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
    3 TBSP (10 oz) (25 grams) whole wheat flour
    1 1/4 cups whole canned tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
    - this is a one lb (450 grams) tin
    1 cup (9 fl oz) (250 ml) vegetable stock
    1/2 cup (4 fl oz) (125 ml) milk
    4 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teasp sea salt
    1/2 teasp freshly ground black pepper

For the Topping:

3 TBSP soft margarine
    3 TBSP (10 oz) (25 grams) all purpose flour (I used whole wheat again)
    3 TBSP wheat bran
    3/4 cup (3 oz) (75 grams) grated reduced fat mild Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup (2 oz )(50 grams) chopped mixed nuts (measured after chopping) I used hazelnuts & almonds
    2 TBSP sesame seeds

1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C), Gas 5.
    Heat the oil over a medium high heat in a large saucepan.
    Cook the leek and onion for 5 minutes or until softened.
    Add the carrot, courgette, sweet potato, mushrooms, celery, red pepper and thyme.
    Cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.

2. Mix in the flour and cook for 1 minute more.

3. Stir in the tomatoes, stock, milk, parsley and seasoning;

Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

4. Meanwhile, combine the margarine, flour and wheat bran in a bowl.
    Rub the ingredients together using your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
    Stir in the cheese, nuts and sesame seeds.

5. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a 2 quart (2 liter) shallow baking dish.

6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is crisp and golden and the vegetable mixture is bubbling.

For Freezer Storage:
    Add 2 TBSP whole wheat flour to the filling in Step 1.
    After step 4, wrap well and freeze for up to 1 month.
    Bake from frozen, increasing the cooking time by 30 - 45 minutes.

Source: Adapted from: Rick Gallops GI Diet Green-Light Cookbook

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Here's another one:

KIDNEY BEAN TABBOULEH - serves 6

3/4 cup (150 grams) bulgur wheat
    1 teasp sea salt
    1 x 14oz (400 grams) tin of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    4 plum tomatoes, chopped
    3 spring onions, chopped
    small handful of chopped parsley, (leaves only)
    small handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
    4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
    2 TBSP lemon juice
    1/4 teasp freshly ground black pepper
    lettuce leaves and lemon wedges for garnish

1. Combine bulgar and salt in a large metal pot.
    Stir in 2 1/4 cups (500 ml) of boiling water and let sit for 15 - 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and bulgar is tender.
    Fluff with fork.

2. Mix the chopped tomatoes, beans, onion and greens into the bulgar, drizzle over the lemon juice and olive oil, add the pepper and mix well.
    Adjust seasoning if needed.

3. Place lettuce leaves on a platter, pile the mixture onto the lettuce and use lemon wedges for garnish.

Mint, coriander, or chopped cucumber could also be added in place of parsley.

Source: Adapted from Rick Gallop's GI Diet Green-Light Cookbook

SharonCb

• Related Discussions

My wife just don't understand that veggies grow in the garden....

Q

Comments (19)
    Sorry everyone these stories about NGS (love that term) make me appreciate my farm-raised DH more! He finished building my last 2 raised beds (each 2x12) today while I took DD and her friends to the movies. AND he filled them with composted manure! Definitely not afraid to get his hands dirty. He loves telling the kids each summer "If we raised our own meat then everything on this table would be from our land!" - though we're getting chickens, I draw the line at butchering them (once they get too old to lay I told him I would cook them into soup if he did the dirty deed, though). Now if I can only get him to understand things like brown/green ratios, nitrogen-robbing soil amendments (like wood chips and leaves), and soil compaction. And that not everything small and growing outside a perfectly straight row is a weed (why I try to do lettuce transplants) - the man can't stand "weeds"! He does recognize cucurbit and bean seedlings, though. My niece is a city girl though, hates getting hot/sweaty, won't get dirty, is afraid of bugs so I sort of understand. She loves coming here for the summer and picking the berries near the house and having them for breakfast though. Don't know how she and my DD can be best friends when they are so different (we call DD "Pigpen" b/c she attracts dirt just like the Peanuts character). In this house, we hate to buy produce from the grocery store b/c we don't know how it's been raised, how old it is, and even organic fruit (just bought organic nectarines, I would love to have your trees!) rots before it ripens b/c it's picked green. We like FRESH produce.
    ...See More

TS Debbie & my veggie garden don't mix :-(

Q

Comments (26)
    I found myself rushing to Lowe's to buy a rain suit and rain boots, the latter of which they were out of, so I could dig a trench in standing water to get it to flow so that it (a) did not flood the A/C fan unit and (b) kill everything. I ended up buying some hot-pink womens rainboots at Target that fit me aha. Anyhow, I've lost all my tomato, beebalm, and lemon balm plants. It looks like I am set to lose my lavender, butterfly bush, cone flowers, and some daisy bushes unless they bounce back. Right now they've all got saggy/droopy leaves. le sigh. Cambridge
    ...See More

RECIPE: Organic or Vegetarian would live healthier?

Q

Comments (12)
    DH was veg long before I met him. Imagine my surprize when he rejected every veg meal in my repertoire! He doesn't eat dairy - except some fat free! Well, it is eight years next month that we have been married. I like much of his food just fine. But I gained about 85 lbs on it (plus my junk food - anything with salt or chocolate). So now I am eating low carb, low fat meat (8 oz a day) and all the veggies I want. He has not minded me cooking my food. He has never bullied me, suggested I not eat something, or even rolled his eyes at my food choices. He sits and watches me eat my diet food four days a week and eat sweets part of the other three. I think I surprize him when I still manage to lose something at the end of the week! But now I am back down 85 lbs and need to lose 50 or 60 more. I will do it slowly. What makes it work is respect. Bill does not preach, he is very quiet about his food choices. At home he would never have white bread (or even wheat pasta) and today at a gathering of old college friends, he really had to eat a white bread cheese sandwich and sour cream dip or starve, as he did not bring anything with him and he did not want to "embarrass" the hosts by bringing his own lunchmeats (soy, of course). We discussed whether the hosts would feel worse that he brought his own food to lunch, or watching him eat nothing but blue corn chips and salad and spinach dip. He opted for the suffering in silence with the munchies (thank goodness there was no bacon in the dip!). If someone asks him why he has chosen to be mostly vegan (my cheesecake and my friend's apple pie with butter are the exceptions) he will say that it is both health and philosophy. His dad had open heart surgery for clogged arteries and Bill also belieives that if we all ate veg, we could feed the world many times over. But he never preaches or engages in someone's attempt to argue. He is happy and healthy. When he is in a social setting he will eat the best he can there, but never cross over to eating meat (just some dairy). He brings an entre' to some family gatherings, or we make veg versions of some main dishes for him. He would never expect hosts to go out of their way to make sure he can eat, as these are his own choices, not theirs. And he'll sit and watch me eat something totally bad for me without a word. He knows that I know better. He knows that harping on me will not help me do better, only hurt our relationship. He really is a saint! Give your kids the food you want them to have. Know that once they are out of your sight they will try to eat like their friends, as being a kid means that different is BAD. DH will not give up his favorite foods, but will get good food from you at home. You are greatly influencing their diet and their tastes. Your good food will register with them at some level and they may make better choices because you have helped them cultivate a taste for good food. That is the only thing we can really do for our families, give them a good base to start from. Negativitiy is probably as toxic to them as some of the pesticides you are trying to help them avoid. What happens outside of your sight is their business. Don't argue about it, it only makes it a bigger issue. You can best teach by example and by teaching them to appreciate your good choices at home.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Veggie loaf/Veggie burgers

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello! Thank you, Marilyn, for at least answering my post. I don't think this particular forum gets much traffic, because this was posted some time ago. Also, I am very interested in your mushroom/tofu burger recipe, but your e-mail address was not on your page. If you do not want to post it on the forum, can you cut and paste the recipe on the forum in reply? While I am not a partciular fan of Boca Burgers, I wanted something that was not as expensive. The Morningstar Grillers in my area are just pennies short of $4.00 a package. At almost $1.00 a patty, that's much more expensive than hamburger. They weren't cheap when Worthington produced Morningstar, but since Kellogg bought them, I can never seem to find them on sale at a reasonable price. Again, the tofu sounds interesting, but I have found unfortunately that while I like it a lot, I have to lace it with soy sauce (when making tofu spread), or fry it until it cannot be called healthy anymore. I have had it fried at a a good Chinese restaurant - I think they called it mandarin tofu - and you could tell it hadn't been boiled in fat because it wasn't puffy, just crispy. I have not been able to replicate this-I guess they used rice starch or something like that. If I could learn how they did it, it would make a decent burger-like patty. Happy gardening! Borealis
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    16 years ago

And yet another. This one is SOOOO good!

BRAISED SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE

Serves 4 - 6

1 TBS olive oil
    1 onion, sliced
    1 large apple, cored and chopped
    1 small red cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly shredded - (6 cups shredded)
    1 full cup (9 fl oz) apple juice (250 ml)
    3 TBS balsamic vinegar
    1 TBS sugar (or sugar substitute if calorie counting)
    1 teasp sea salt
    1/2 teasp freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat in a deep frying pan. Cook the onion and apple for 5 minutes or until softened.
    Stir in the cabbage and toss well.
    Add the apple juice, vinegar, sugar substitute and seasoning and stir.

2. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the liquid reduces completely and the cabbage is tender.
    Check seasoning and serve.

Leftovers can be chilled for one day and reheated over a moderate heat.

Source: Adapted from Rick Gallop's GI Diet
    Green-Light Cookbook

My Comments:

This is a really good, tangy side dish for those who love red cabbage! I halved the recipe for just the two of us but it was so good we nearly finished it all, so no problem with making too much. When finely shredded with a mandolin - the cabbage measured exactly 3 cups (200 grams) for my halved version. I used one small apple and half an onion but didnt reduce the olive oil.

SharonCb

• vacuumfreak
    16 years ago

Thanks Boo! It would be easier to say what I DO like since the list is shorter!

I do like corn, carrots, peas, raw spinach, fresh green beans, lettuce, cucumbers, any potato...

I can tolerate bell peppers, squash....

Absolutely can't stand okra, colored, mustard, or turnip greens, tomatoes (sauce OK, chunks not OK) and cabbage.

Would be willing to try to learn to like asparagus, broccoli, and mushrooms... or anything else on the list that can be made to taste like something it isn't!

I'm neutral about cauliflower and radish, though I doubt I'd buy them in purpose.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of vegetables right now, but those are what come to mind at this time.

Can't wait to try that crumble, Sharon! :o)

• jojoco
    16 years ago

Here is my favorite:
    Portobella Lasagne (from the Barefoot Contessa)

Kosher salt
    Good olive oil
    3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
    4 cups whole milk
    12 tablespoons (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms
    1 cup freshly ground Parmesan
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt and a splash of oil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
    For the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan. Set aside. Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the hot milk into the butter-flour mixture all at once. Add 1 tablespoon salt, the pepper, and nutmeg, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring first with the wooden spoon and then with a whisk, for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick. Set aside off the heat.
    I have made this a bunch of times, always to rave reviews from carnivores.
    Jo

• woodie
    16 years ago

I'm sure you could lighten this up somewhat (less cheese and more veggies) and use veggie broth instead of chicken broth, but this is a favorite in this house.

VEGETABLE LASAGNE

1 pound lasagne noodles, cooked and drained
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded fontina cheese
    1 package (10 oz.) chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup shredded zucchini
    3 cups part skim milk ricotta (divided)
    1 egg
    1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Mix together fontina, veggies, 2-1/2 cups of the ricotta and the egg.
    Place layer of noodles in 13 x 9 pan. Spread half of ricotta mixture. Repeat layers, ending with noodles on top.
    Cook and stir onion in oil under tender. Stir in flour and nutmeg. Stir in chicken broth and 1/2 cup ricotta. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Spoon over lasagna. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and broil about 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.

8 servings

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

You can always substitute a vegetable you like for one you don't like. For example, if you don't like cabbage, sub beets for that recipe above. You'll have to cook the beets a little longer than the cabbage though. I love beet greens too, so I buy the fresh beets with the greens attached.

Lasagne is great, but takes forever to cook. Make a big batch over the weekend and have it for quick lunches and suppers during the week. Same goes with enchiladas. I make my lasagne the "no boil" way with prepared commercial sauce. It is quick that way and a snap to put together. Throw in whatever veggies you like. Use nonfat ricotta though, jazz it up with good fresh herbs and veggies in the middle. Butternut squash is good, even in a standard lasagne. Also good in enchiladas. You can add a sprinkle of wheat germ in the middle of the lasagne to add more nutrition, you'll never taste it.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I have a friend/co-worker that hates all green veggies, but will eat orange and yellow veggies. Go figure.

If you'll tolerate squash, here's one that might put you over into the loving squash camp.

*******************************************************************************

Risotto with Butternut Squash and Sage

From "The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook" by Jack Bishop

Serve's 4

6 cups Vegetable Stock or 1 vegetable bouillon cube dissolved in 6 cups water (my note - there's some pretty good store bought boxed vegetable broth available now from the supermarkets these days if you want to save some work, but remember they are pretty salty. If you use bouillon or store bought stock keep the salt content in mind when seasoning this recipe. It's best if you make your own vegetable stock, which is pretty easy.)
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 medium onion, minced
    6 large fresh sage leaves, minced, plus 8 leaves for frying (optional)
    1/2 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), stringy pulp and seeds siscarded, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. (My note again - if you make your own veggie stock, throw the seeds and pulp into the stock.)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for the table
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Bring the stock to a simmer n a medium saucepan. Keep it warm over low heat.

2. Heat the oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy-bottomed medium pot. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced sage and cook for 30 seconds to release the flavor. Stir in the squash and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often to coat the pieces.

3. Add the wine and 1 cup of the warm stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the squash is very tender, about 25 minutes. (If the pot runs dry, add more warm stock as needed.) ncover the pot and cook off any extra liquid.

4. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup of the warm stock and cook, stirring requently, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Continue adding stock in 1/2-cup increments, stirring, until the rice is creamy and soft but still a bit al dente, about 25 minutes. (Add hot water if you run out of stock.)

5. Remove the pot from the heat and vigorously stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the 1/2 cup cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Divide the risotto among individual soup bowls and garnish is the fried sage leaves, if using. Serve immediately with more grated cheese passed separately at the table.

To fry sage leaves, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small nonstick skillet until quite hot. Add 8 large whole sage leaves and saute them, turning once, until crisp. Drain on paper towels. (If you've never tried fried sage leaves, you gotta try them. They're real good.)

Serve with your favorite green salad or spinach salad.

******************************************************************************

Or, here's a salad from Ina Garten I've made once, and really liked. DH loved it, too.

Salad with Warm Goat Cheese
    Copyright, 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All Rights Reserved

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    User Rating:

1 (11-ounce) log plain or herbed Montrachet
    2 extra-large egg whites, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    Fresh white bread crumbs
    For the dressing:
    2 tablespoons good cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons good Champagne vinegar
    Pinch sugar
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 extra-large egg yolk
    1 cup good olive oil
    Enough mixed salad greens for 6 servings
    Olive oil and unsalted butter, for frying

Slice the Montrachet into 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. (The easiest way to slice goat cheese is to use a length of dental floss.) Dip each slice into the beaten egg whites, then the bread crumbs, being sure the cheese is thoroughly coated. Place the slices on a rack and chill them for at least 15 minutes.
    For the dressing, place the vinegars, sugar, salt, pepper, and egg yolk in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and blend for 1 minute. With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube until the vinaigrette is thickened. Season, to taste.
    Toss the salad greens with enough dressing to moisten, then divide them among 6 plates.
    Melt 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a saute pan over medium-high heat until just under smoking. Cook the goat cheese rounds quickly on both sides until browned on the outside but not melted inside. Top each salad with 2 warm rounds and serve.
    Episode#: IG0703
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

*********************************************************************************

Then there's this soup recipe from this forum a year or 2 ago. I made it last year at Thanksgiving time when I had a housefull of people. It went well with sandwiches for lunches leading up to the big dinner. It could be good anytime, though. This includes the notes and comments from the original poster.

*****************************************************************************

Potato-Fennel Soup - better late than never.

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 22:53

This is a really yummy soup from The Barefoot Contessa - it's the soup that convinced me that I do like soup and want to cook it.

ROASTED-POTATO FENNEL SOUP (from The Barefoot Contessa)
    The potatoes are roasted first to give them extra flavor and Ina adds a touch of heavy cream at the end to give it a little richness (My note: I also add a little sherry at the end)
    4 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered (my note: that is if they are the small red potatoes. If they are large, cut them into approximately 1 1/2 inch cubes/chunks)
    1/4 cup plus 2 TBS good olive oil
    1 TBS minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
    1 TBS kosher salt
    2 TSP fresh ground pepper
    4 cups chopped yellow onions (4 onions - my note: 2-3 of my onions yielded 4 cups)
    4 cups chopped fennel bulb (about 2 pounds)
    3 quarts chicken stock or water
    1 cup heavy cream
    (my addition: add sherry to taste- ounce or so)
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
    In a large bowl, toss potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, until cooked through.
    Saute the onions and fennel with 2 TBS olive oil in a large stockpot on medium heat until translucent, 10-15 minutes. Add the roasted potatoes (including the scrapings fromt he pan) and the chicken stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until al the vegetables are very soft. Add the heavy cream and allow the soup to cool slightly. Pass the soup through the largest disk of a food mill or chop coarsely in batches in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Taste for salt and pepper. Reheat and serve hot.
    My Notes: I don't have a food mill and found that blending multiple batches in a blender was a royal pain and a big mess. I cook the soup in a 7 quart dutch oven because it is wider and not as deep as a stock pot. That way I could use my immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the pot. (In a large stockpot the immersion blender wouldn't reach to the bottom.)
    Everyone I've served this to has enjoyed it (even my daughter though she'd like less pepper).
    Lynn

******************************************************************************
    It's Sally again. I better quit and let someone else have a turn. I did notice that as I went through the recipes I had on the computer, many of them were from this forum, and most of them were for sweets. Shows where my priorities are! lol. It also means that when I fix veggies I frequently just wing it, and don't follow a recipe. Nevertheless, I hope you get some enjoyment out of these recipes.

By the way, this is a great idea for a thread. I'm cutting and pasting the recipes, too.

Sally

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I can't stand store lasagna and I have tried, at least once, all the major brands. Something in the sauce gets to me. I don't know if you like cooked spinach or not.

Here is a lasagna recipe from my vegetarian days. I like it because you don't have to cook the noodles ahead of time but put them in dry. It is always a favorite.

SPINACH LASAGNA

3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    3 cups marinara-style pasta sauce (bottled or canned)
    9 no-boil lasagna noodles
    10oz. pkg. frozen spinach - thawed and well drained
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper, cracked
    pinch of red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 375° F.
    Combine 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, and ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, spinach, chopped parsley, garlic, and red and black pepper. Set aside.

In a 9x13 inch baking dish pour 3/4 cup marinara sauce. Place 3 pieces of no boil lasagna on the sauce, covering with another 1/2 cup of the sauce.

Layer with half of the spinach cheese mixture, then noodles and sauce. Layer the rest of spinach cheese mixture. Finish with 3 more lasagna strips and cover with remaining sauce.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour. Uncover and top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese during last 15 minutes of baking.

Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 8.

Also don't know if you want to try tofu. I like it and with this recipe, you don't know you are eating it. It helps if you freeze the tofu overnight then defrost it and squeeze out all the water. It makes the tofu hold together better and we like the texture more. And meat eaters seem to really like this recipe. Great with a salad and garlic bread.

MUSHROOM TOFU STROGANOFF

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons butter or margarine (or olive oil)
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried dill weed
    2 teaspoons basil
    1 1/2 pounds firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
    4 tightly-packed cups sliced white mushrooms
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
    3 quarts water
    1 pound dry noodles
    1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, deep, heavy-bottomed skillet. Add onions, garlic, dill weed, and basil and saute for about 5 minutes, then add tofu and continue to cook on medium heat, stirring gently occasionally, until tofu browns nicely. Add tamari. Then add mushrooms, salt, and cayenne. Lower heat, stir, and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Cook noodles until tender but not mushy. Drain and return to pot. Toss noodles with 1 tablespoon butter to prevent sticking.

3. Add sour cream and parsley to mushroom mixture and mix well.

4. Place noodles in a pretty serving bowl, then spoon stroganoff on top. Garnish with a sprig of fresh parsley.

Serves 4.

Hope these recipes help with your vegetarian diet. I have been making both for over 35 years.
    Clare

• User
    16 years ago

My dear SIL is a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables, and eats few salads. He wouldn't eat any of the recipes posted above, too complex and too many veggies (and seafood, which many vegetarians don't eat these days, it's another animal that has to be killed).

Cooking for him is always a challenge. He will eat Quorn Naked Cutlets when I prepare them like chicken. `Chicken` Parmesan is a favorite. Quorn has a good selection, the problem is finding a store that carries their products.

He mostly eats frozen vegetarian items like Amy's Enchiladas, there are several companies that make something similar. He does eat some veggie burgers, but not too often, they are kind of awful. The imaginative recipes that my daughter (his wife) and I have tried have pretty much met with failure.

He has a pretty unimaginative diet, one that I find depressing, I hope his tastes mature.

Unless vacuumfreak is willing to work hard, becoming a temporary vegetarian is going to be tough.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Here are some more vegetarian recipes that I compiled some years ago.
    I didn't compare the ingredients with your dislikes Bobby but you may want to have a look at these:

RECIPE: Vegetarian Recipes from Spain
    Posted by Canarybird (My Page) on Mon, Oct 4, 04 at 8:01

Garlic Soup (Sopa de Ajo)
    -------------------------------
    A garlic soup recipe from the Island of Mallorca.

Ingredients:

9 oz (250 grams approx) *shaved dry brown bread
    6 garlic cloves
    6 fine stalks spring onions
    1 small cabbage
    2 medium size ripe tomatoes
    fresh Italian parsley
    1/2 cup good quality olive oil
    1 teaspoon red sweet pimento powder (paprika)
    salt
    water

* Note: this refers to a type of local bread often used in soups (sopas) as a way of using up stale bread. It's a round, flat and heavy tan-coloured dense country bread loaf which is sliced crosswise paper thin, the cut pieces having a half-moon shape and being as thin as a slice of salami. (An electric meat slicer does the job well if you can find a heavy loaf of brown country bread.)

Method:
    Heat the oil in an open, shallow casserole dish and add the peeled garlic cloves; remove them when browned and set aside. Add the finely chopped spring onions to the oil and when lightly golden add the finely chopped cabbage.

Stir fry together then add the pimiento powder and enough water to cover all.
    Mash the browned garlic cloves in a mortar and pestle, add a little water to dilute the paste then add to the casserole. Season with salt and cook until tender at a low heat on the stove top. Then add the bread slices, scooping up the cabbage mixture and piling it on top of the bread to sink it down.
    Let return to a boil and remove from the stove. This soup is usually brought to the table and served out of the same casserole. I don't have a photo of the finished product but I do have my Mallorquin clay casserole which is what is normally used.

(photo of dish with another recipe in it) I brought mine from Mallorca 20 years ago and whatever comes out of it tastes wonderful. It works equally well in the oven or on an open gas flame.

Baked Lettuce & Cheese (Lechuga al Queso)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    For 2 persons:
    2 heads of lettuce
    4 TBS butter
    4 TBSP grated cheese
    salt, white pepper and water

1) Remove damaged outer leaves from lettuce, wash and put in saucepan in boiling salted water. Cook 10 minutes.

2) Remove from pan and rinse under cold water. Drain.

3) Cut each lettuce in two lengthwise, fold the pieces in half and place them in a buttered baking dish.
    Sprinkle with pepper and cheese and dot with the rest of the butter.

4) Put the dish in the oven for about 5 minutes and serve the dish at the table.

Source: 'Cocina Balear' - Ana Maria Calera

Spanish Poor Man's Style Potato Casserole -( Patatas a Lo Pobre)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Serves 5 as a side dish:
    2 lbs potatoes
    1 onion
    1 small green pepper
    1 small tomato, sliced
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 TBSP chopped parsley
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teasp thyme
    1/4 teasp sweet paprika (or saffron)
    1/4 cup white wine
    1/4 cup water
    salt & pepper

1) Peel potatoes and slice fairly thinly. Peel and slice onions. Cut peppers in strips.

2) Pour a little of the oil into the bottom of a flame-proof earthenware casserole or oven-safe pan. Arrange alternating layers of potatoes, onions, green peppers and tomato slices, sprinkling each layer with some of the chopped garlic and parsley.

3) Break the bay leaf into pieces and tuck them among the potatoes with the thyme. Sprinkle with the paprika and pour over the remaining oil.

4) Place the casserole on a medium heat just until potatoes start to sizzle. Add the wine and water. Season with salt & pepper.

5) When the liquid comes to a boil, cover the casserole and put in a medium oven (350F/180C) until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Let the casserole rest 10 minutes before serving.

Adapted from: 'Tapas and More Great Dishes from Spain' - Janet Mendel

Fresh Garden Peas with Lettuce
    --------------------------------------
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 young lettuce, broken into largish pieces
    1/2 lb fresh peas
    butter
    sugar - about 1 TBSP
    salt & pepper

1) Sauté a large sliced onion in a little butter, then transfer to a large saucepan, add lettuce and shelled peas.

2) Add a little more butter, salt & pepper to taste and the sugar. Mix well and add a little water. Bring to the boil and then simmer very slowly with lid on, until peas are tender, about seven minutes.
    Source: 'The Bar we Found' - Anne Oates - Palma de Mallorca 1972

Danish Style Cauliflower and Cheese Sauce
    ----------------------------------------------------
    1 large white cauliflower
    1 TBSP butter
    1 TBSP flour
    2 cups milk
    2 egg yolks
    1 cup grated cheese
    sugar, salt
    breadcrumbs

1) Boil the cauliflower until nearly tender. Drain and place in a baking dish.

2) Make a white sauce with the butter, flour and milk. Stir in the egg yolks and then the grated cheese. Season with sugar and salt.

3) Separate the cauliflower into pieces and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, dabs of butter and place in hot oven.

Bake until golden brown and serve.

Curried Potato Salad
    -------------------------
    6 large potatoes
    1 cup tart French dressing
    4 hard boiled eggs
    chopped onion
    chopped celery
    chopped green pepper
    salt
    heaping TBSP curry powder

1) Boil potatoes in their jackets. When cool enough to handle, remove skins and slice potatoes into large bowl.

2) While still warm, coat slices with French dressing which has been mixed with the curry powder, and leave to penetrate while the potatoes are cooling down.

1. Then add other ingredients and mix them in lightly taking care not to disturb the shape of the potatoes.

4) Crisp in the refrigerator before serving.

I was never sure if this really originated in Cuba. But it's a very simple dish which I used to see in Mallorca in small family restaurants and still see today on restaurant menus. I also made it when my girls were small.

For three people:

3 ripe bananas
    3 eggs
    rice - three servings
    tomato sauce or puré - about 1 cup
    S & P
    oil or butter

1) Boil the rice until tender in salted water. Drain.

2) Split the bananas lengthwise and sauté gently in butter or oil.

3) Heat the tomato sauce.

4) Fry the eggs in butter or oil keeping yolks runny.

5) Arrange the rice in the centre of each plate, with a banana half on each side, cover the rice with an egg and pour sauce over top. Add salt & pepper.

Poached eggs instead of fried are also good.

This is one of those 'survival'-type dishes - it is now served in some of the top restaurants of the Balearic Islands. It's so easy to make as well.

Vegetable & Bread Stew from Mallorca -

This is a much loved hearty meatless peasant dish from the Balearic island of Mallorca. Although called 'sopas' or soup, it is actually a stew-like combination of available winter vegetables such as chard, cabbage and cauliflower cooked in water, oil, garlic, paprika and salt, which is then poured over thinly-shaven slices of dry salt-free country bread - called sopas - which are a day or two old. These thin bread slices are available in nearly every corner 'colmado' - as the small neighbourhood grocery stores are called. Those who have grown up with sopas Mallorquinas on the table will probably always look forward to having it again, and again. You can prepare this dish and have it ready in less than an hour.

Ingredients for 4 persons:

1/2 lb (200 grams) of thinly shaven slices of country bread (Website showing photos of loaf).
    A dense country-style bread is needed for this and it should be stale, dry and sliced paper thin.

- about 8 young leaves & stems - roughly chopped
    small cabbage - Chinese cabbage if possible - roughly chopped
    1 onion cut in julienne
    handful of
    - roughly chopped - (quantity as in foto)
    cauliflower - a few florets broken in pieces
    1 ripe tomato, peeled and diced
    2 teasp sweet paprika powder
    4 TBS olive oil
    2 green peppers - cut in large dice
    2 - 2 1/2 cups water
    optional: chicken stock cube
    salt
    fresh ground black pepper
    4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed

1) Put the oil in a shallow flame-proof earthenware or ceramic casserole (eg Corning Ware or similar). When oil is hot, add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Saute without browning.

2) Add the tomato and the large diced vegetables. Sweat the vegetables and blend in the paprika powder. Season with salt & fresh ground pepper.

3) Add the water and let simmer gently for about 15 - 20 minutes, then taste to check seasoning. (Note: After pouring in the water I added a Knorr chicken stock cube, broken up and scattered over top.)

4) Once vegetables are tender, turn off stove, remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a warm bowl, leaving the broth in the casserole dish. There should be about an inch of broth.

5) Arrange the thin shaven slices of dry bread over the bottom of the casserole dish so the broth is totally absorbed, and put the vegetables back in the casserole on top of the bread. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving at the table.

6) Serve at the table in the same earthenware casserole dish.

NOTES: The bread used in this recipe is typical to Mallorca and is a simple bread made of unbleached partially whole wheat flour, water and yeast. It is therefore dense and able to absorb the broth without becoming mushy.

There are many variations of 'sopas mallorquinas' as the ingredients depend on what is available in the garden at the time. However those listed above are the main ones used and will give the true flavour of this dish.

SharonCb

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer