Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What else could I use this pan for besides the obvious?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 20:29

It is a Non-stick Wilton Ultra-Bake 6 cup heart muffin pan. The muffin openings measure 1 1/2" deep. I just got this at the thrift store for a couple of bucks. I couldn't resist. I have lots of different muffin and cup cake pans. That is something I make often. But what else could I use it for? Little cheesecakes come to mind. Put your creative chef caps on.
Thanks.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What else could I use this pan for besides the obvious?

I'm thinking two tiered or multi layered treats like candy barks (bottom half chocolate, top half white chocolate with peppermint candies perhaps?) or maybe a half blondie / half brownie treat or little tartlets?

Big Jello shots!

o

Use the back side to bake a cake so that the top of the cake has heart shaped depressions.

Fill the depressions with cream and other good stuff.

dcarch

o

Bake your breakfast eggs (if you eat them) in it (drop in some butter first) and serve to your sweetie (if you have one) or kids, or you, just to remind yourself you are loved! Or similar to what dcarch said, use cookie dough (instead of cake dough) on the outside of the pan and fill with fruit or ice cream.

o

Candles...use those wicks with the metal tab on the end and fill with melted wax.
Soap! Fancy rose tinted and scented oil soaps.
Jello shots! strawberry jello and framboise..cherry jello and ...uh....vodka! Raspberry jello and vanilla vodka.

Or....muffins.....

o

Oh yes, lots of stuff, like individual meatloaves, muffins or butterflake rolls, brownies, layered fudge, individual fruit pies. You could freeze ice cream in them for fancier (and controlled size) servings or make ice cubes with fruit frozen inside. You could bake cupcakes, of course, or small cheeesecakes or doggie treats for that cute little furry thing!

Annie

o

Lots of great suggestions! I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. I never would have thought of the one, turning it over and making a shape to fill. I am thinking of making heart shaped meringue shells and filling with ice cream then topping with fresh fruit. I haven't made those in years. How pretty that will look.
Thanks.
Clare

o

Press shortbread dough into the heart shaped depressions and bake; turn over and shape pastry dough over the reverse hearts and fill with lemon curd, chocolate mousse, etc. Press crescent roll dough inside the depressions and fill with cooked crumbled sausage or bacon, add beaten eggs and top with cheese for a quick quiche for breakfast.
Teresa

o

Rice Krispie treats! Shape them, dip the top half in chocolate or white chocolate, decorate with sprinkles, then put a Popsicle stick in them. I've said it before and I'll say it gain. Everything is better on a stick!

Love the pan. I would have snatched that up too!

Tracey

o

Thanks again. I have been writing them down and will keep the suggestions in my recipe box.
Clare

o

Sol's little grit souffles

For the molds

8 two-ounce timbale molds, or miniature muffin pans
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

Grease the insides of the timbale molds with butter and sprinkle with the cornmeal.

Souffles

1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup yellow corn grits
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried Thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of grated nutmeg
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 egg whites

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a 1-quart saucepan over medium high heat, scald the milk. Slowly whisk in the yellow grits. When the grits begin to thicken (after about 3 minutes) stir in the cheeses. Season with S & P, and grated nutmeg.
Allow mixture to cool, then stir in the egg yolk and heavy cream.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the grits mixture.
Fill the molds to the very top. Place molds on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until set.

Remove the souffles from the oven and allow them to cool for a minute or two before unmolding onto a serving dish or platter.

Sol

Here is a link that might be useful: link to a discussion about her yellow grits souffle

o

In my over 50 years of cooking I have never made grits. Could I substitute polenta?

I looked up the difference. "Polenta is very similar to coosh, a dish of boiled cornmeal mush, which is also often sliced and fried, but which is often eaten with sweet toppings such as maple syrup. A common dish in the cuisine of the Southern United States is grits, with the difference that grits are usually made from cooked, coarsely ground, alkali-treated (nixtamalized) kernels (ground hominy). Polenta is coarsely or finely ground yellow or white maize (cornmeal)[1] used as a foodstuff. "
Clare

o

Clare, I grew up on what is apparently called "coosh" according to your reference. We never called it that though. It was just "fried cornmeal mush" & one of my favorite breakfasts. I still make it once every few years. Learn new things here every day!

/tricia

o

Our Norwegian or Swedish neighbors maade this while processing pork in the Falll and Winter. It was some part of meat drippings and corn meal, patted into a baking pan, cooled and then sliced and pan fried and served with butter, honey, etc. It was called Pawnhaas. I'm not sure of the spelling. In those days every part of an animal was used for food.

o

Clare,

I didn't see this, my bad! I simply used cornmeal.

:)

o

You can use the pan for a condiment tray at a party. Any muffin pan will work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here