SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Suggestions - getting a second freezer.

caflowerluver
11 years ago

How many of you have a second freezer? What size and brand? Chest or upright? I am going to need a second one by this weekend when DH does a major repair on our fairly new one. What should I look for in a freezer? Never had one before because never really needed one. Though I never realized how small the current one is, only 6.6 CF. I just did more frequent shopping and didn't buy a lot of frozen stuff.

Our 2006 Jenn Air built in refrigerator/freezer is having cooling problems with ice build up on the fan. DH took it partially apart last night at 8:30 because it had been making a horrific noise since 4PM. The fan and the wires were all iced up with icicles hanging down. It seems to be working OK for now but don't know for how long. I have done lots of research and DH is a electronic and electrical engineer so is going to take it apart this weekend (using a diagram and repair manual). Don't know if we will have to replace heat exchanger, compressor, muffler, and drier or just clean out the side line and capiliary line. Recently I had an ant invasion INSIDE the freezer and refrigerator so maybe they got in and blocked the drip line. Hundreds of dead frozen ants - yuck!

I am trying to use up as much food in the freezer as possible and not buy any more. Luckily we caught it before anything melted, like ice cream, so think everything is still alright. It never got above 18F, usually set at zero. I hadn't been to the store this week and we don't buy a lot of meat ahead of time, so don't think I will have to throw out much. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

It has been only 6 years and it needs a major repair. I remember when refrigerators lasted for 20-30 years. My parents had one that did. And in our first rental place we had one that went back to late 1950's, and except for having to constantly defrost the freezer, it worked great. Not like this expensive piece of ****!

Clare

Comments (13)