Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soaking Meat in Salt Water B4 Pressure Cooking

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 20:04

I like beef heart. I like pressure cooked meat because it is tender. My pressure cooker book says - and I quote - "Remove skin and soak in cold salt water for 15 minutes".

Well! Why in h*ll should I soak the skin?

Anyway presumably they mean soak the skun heart and just how much salt should I use? Also just what does this accomplish?

After browning the heart it says salt and pepper to taste. Well how do you judge that after soaking the stupid thing in salt water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soaking Meat in Salt Water B4 Pressure Cooking

I interpret that as "Remove the skin from the heart and discard. Soak heart in cold salt water for 15 minutes." Basically you are brining it but not for very long.

I am not an expert on brining as it is something I rarely do because I often cook for a heart patient who can't have extra sodium. The link will explain the benefits of brining and offers a "recipe" for the solution. Their recipe includes suger which I'm sure can simply be left out.

Here is a link that might be useful: CI brining PDF

o

I would think the salt water also draws out excess blood in the meat of the heart, as salting koshers meat by drawing out the blood.

o

Well that was quite interesting. Thankyou for that link.

They claim Beef usually contains enough fat that brining is ineffective or uneccessary. In the case of the beef heart my understanding is that it is one of the least fatty of all meats or contains the least saturated fat. Therefore it would seem brining would be effective for this particular beef cut. Presumably then that is why my book recommended it. It's the only recipe in the book that does.

My OP was submitted as the heart was cooking. I ate about 1-1/2 lbs of that beef heart last night and am a bit fed up on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here