Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for dessert?

Posted by jojoco (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 20:03

A new twist on an old favorite. Made the summer torte, but this time I used pears and sprinkled the top of the batter with a ginger/sugar mix instead of the traditional cinnamon. I served it with fresh ginger infused whipped cream.

Jo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for dessert?

Hi Jo! That sounds really good. I love ginger and pears and have canned pears with fresh ginger.

Nancy

o

Apples work too....and I have a spiced sugar mix....with cinnamon, nutmeg anda bit of cardamon.....nummy!!...and a few chopped pecans don't hurt either!

o

Yum, Jo, that sounds good. I just bought some Seckel pears too....

Annie

o

Jo, I bet that was delicious. We had pears tonight in a pumpkin pudding cake.

o

Ruthanna,
Could you post the pumpkin pudding cake recipe, please? Warm pudding cake is a favorite comfort food dessert in my family.

Thanks!
Teresa

o

Not completely homemade, but I made a Caramel Gooey Butter Cake and took it to a campout last weekend - every last crumb disappeared!

CARAMEL GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

Base:
1 (18.5 oz.) box Duncan Hines caramel cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg

Topping:
1 (14 oz.) can dulce de leche
16 oz. confectioners' sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 stick melted butter
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a mixing bowl mix together the cake mix, one stick of melted butter and one egg until combined. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.

In the same mixing bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese and the Dulce de Leche until combined.

Beat in the remaining 3 eggs, vanilla, powdered sugar and melted butter. Whip on medium high speed so that all of the ingredients come together nicely. Pour the filling over the crust and place into the oven.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the cake will still appear a little "jiggly."

Allow the cake to cool to room temperature then cut into small squares.

o

This recipe is from a 1988 magazine I used to subscibe to called Good Food.

PEAR-PUMPKIN PUDDING CAKE - 6 servings

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp.. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 ripe pears, pared, cored, cut into small dice
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)

Heat oven to 375. Butter 8 inch square baking dish. Mix flour, baking powder, spices, and salt in a small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and brown sugar on medium speed until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture. Stir in pecans, pears, pumpkin and vanilla by hand. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.

Bake cake until top is well browned, 30-35 minutes. Let cool slightly on wire rack. Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired.

o

i like apple cake for dessert. it's a sweet finish for a day in my opinion

o

Thanks, Ruthanna! I hope to try this soon.

Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here