Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I freeze Brie?

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 19:42

My husband came home with a huge round of Brie ---- party sized. Can I cut it into wedges and freeze it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I freeze Brie?

This is from "Chef Answers" online:

Q. I just bought a wheel of Brie and don't want to use it just yet. Can it be frozen, and if so, will that alter its taste, texture, etc. in any way?...... Leann, St. Louis
A. You can freeze Brie, as a matter a fact several of our staff members have, but it will alter the texture somewhat. Cheeses that have been frozen are best used in cooking. The texture will be undesirable to eat without cooking.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: What People Are Asking the Chef

o

I wouldn't freeze it!
Invite the neighbors in....and eat it anyway you can...on your morning toast, in a salad, on baked potatoes...
I think I could eat it all myself!
Linda C

o

Cheeses that have been frozen are best used in cooking.

Brie makes a wonderful grilled cheese sandwich. For the Burger cook-off I had my burger with melted brie and sliced apples and it was delicious!

You can also bake brie en croute topped with toasted almond slices and served with apple wedges. I always serve brie en croute for the Super Bowl.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: brie en croute

o

Brie tastes so much like really great butter, just use it in place of butter! It makes the BEST grilled cheese with procutto & fresh pesto on a panini grill. But, if you need to freeze it, use it in a gourmet mac & cheese with pancetta, spinach & sundried tomatoes. The brie gives it a very creamy texture. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Daisy Catering

o

Could someone actually answer this question? I've googled whether or not you can freeze brie wrapped in puff pastry overnight (not for 20 minutes) and then cook it later - I understand that the water will separate if you try to freeze it and then it won't work at room temperature on crackers: obviously.

What I'm wondering is if you can freeze brie wrapped in puff pastry and then cook it - and - more importantly - will it taste/cook/be different and why. The why is very important: if you don't know why, then it's not an answer - it's just an opinion or guess based an an individual experience.

Anyone? Anyone?

ps: i'm not trying to be rude - i'm just frustrated because there is no actual answer anywhere on the internet.

o

The answer I've been seeing is that, yes, you can freeze brie, but the texture will be adversely affected. It will only be useful for cooking after. Not sure how the pastry will be affected since the freezing separates the water from the brie. Keep an eye on it while cooking to make sure that the thawing water does not make the pastry soggy or sag and/or fall off. (Depends on how it was wrapped) You may need a vent hole in the pastry for the separated water to steam out.

o

Yes, you can freeze them together. I freeze my Brie wrapped in the puff pastry. It ensures the Brie does not cook out of the pastry before the pastry is done. Otherwise...you have Brie melting out all over the place! Just make sure when storing you have an airtight seal. I use parchment paper, then wrap with press n seal, then place in a freezer bag and suck all the air out. Comes out PERFECT every time!

o

«Il n'y a aucun problème à congeler des fromages, que ce soit des pâtes molles, des bleus ou des pâtes fermes. Le seul hic, on pourrait dire, ce serait les fromages plus frais qui, à cause de leur très haut pourcentage en humidité, vont réagir moins bien avec la congélation.

«La seule chose qu'on vous conseille de faire, c'est de "portionner" votre fromage le plus petit possible pour qu'il soit décongelé en une fois et qu'on puisse l'utiliser dans les journées à venir et que vos fromages soient bien rafraîchis avant d'être congelés.

«Pour ce qui est de la décongélation, ce qu'on recommande, c'est de les laisser bien au frais au frigo pour que la décongélation se fasse le plus tranquillement possible. Vous allez retrouver le même fromage qu'au début. Il n'y aura aucun changement de goût, peut-être un léger au niveau de la présentation. Mais si le fromage utilisé est dans une préparation culinaire, il n'y aura aucun changement.» (link attached to original text)

Main points with slight poetic license:

You can freeze any cheese, though fresher cheeses take less kindly to freezing because of their high humidity content.

Freezing: Divide cheese into smallest portions possible in accordance with planned use, and cool well in fridge before transferring to freezer.

Defrosting: In fridge - and DO NOT disturb the cheese's peace of mind! The taste will not change at all, though visually the cheese may not be as handsome as it was before it went into the freezer.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cheesemaker's Tale

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here