Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soups that Freeze Well

Posted by blueiris24 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 19:40

Now that the weather is changing, I'd like to get some soups made and put in the freezer for single college kids..... I'm looking for soups that freeze well, and that are ready to go - nothing that needs to be added after it's thawed - because realistically, that's not going to happen....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soups that Freeze Well

Blue, I am doing the same thing here. Our temps went from 82 this afternoon down to the 40's. So dinner came from the freezer, a multibean soup with smoked sausage added. very filling.

Veggie, pea, potatoe cooked on a beef base, chicken with rice/noodle/dumpling and bean soups freeze well. Undercook the pasta as they can get mushy in a warming. Vegetable can also become minestrone. Onion soup, and any soup that does not contain cream as it will separate. and don't forget chili.

Hope this helps.

o

Hey, Peppi, I'm glad to see you!

I agree, chili freezes and reheats very well, as does tomato-basil soup and vegetable beef or chicken vegetable. Minestrone is good, as is beef barley or mushroom barley.

As Peppi mentioned, pasta can easily be overcooked, so be careful how that's cooked.

Good luck, and remember, breads/rolls/muffins freeze well too and go great with soup. (grin)

Annie

o

Squash soup....and I don;t have a problem with creamed soups freezing and thawing. I add some flour to the cream/milk....so perhaps that stabilizes?
Split pea, corn chowder, redpepper and tomato, chicken veggie, beef, lentil senate bean soup, dried lima and ham, curried carrot.....the list is endless..
The only soups I don't like after being frozen are the ones with chunks of potato or noodles....even if under cooked they get mushy.

o

I agree. Nearly any soup will freeze well except those with potatoes or pasta in them.

Linda

o

Here's the recipe I use for Minestrone soup, which does call for a small amount of pasta, but the amount is so small that I do not notice it getting mushy:

Minestrone Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced white onion (about 1/2 small onion)
1/3 cup minced celery (about 1 stalk)
2 chopped zucchinis, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
2 cups water or vegetable broth
2 tsp vegetable soup base (if broth is not used � dissolve in the 2 cups water)
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (or whole tomatoes pur�ed in can)
1/4 cup carrots, shredded
2-4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 to 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable soup base
1 to 1-1/2 tsp vegetable soup base (dissolved in the water, if broth not used)
2/3 cup small shell pasta (orzo, or similar)
1-3/4 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained*
1-3/4 cups cooked small white beans or great northern beans, drained*
2 cups fresh or frozen baby spinach (optional)
2 tbsp tomato paste or 1 tbsp tomato powder
salt, to taste, if soup base is not used

Directions:

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.

Saut� onion and celery in the oil for 4-5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent. Add the zucchini and garlic and saut� a couple of minutes more.

Add vegetable broth to pot, plus tomatoes, carrot, and spices. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

Add additional 1 cup hot water/vegetable broth (more, if needed), pasta, beans, spinach leaves (if desired), and tomato paste, and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency. Less water will be needed if the spinach is used. Add salt to taste, if you are not using soup base. I use Better Than Bouillon brand vegetable soup base or one that I get from a restaurant supply store. Use more parsley if you are not adding spinach.
*Note: I use 7/8 cup of each dried bean to yield the amount needed and cook the beans earlier in the day or the day before in plain water with a couple of bay leaves. I simmer them in the same pan. Alternatively, canned beans can be used (14 oz can each), drained and rinsed.

-------------

This soup freezes extremely well, but I have found that most bean based soups are best for freezing. If I am making an Indian style garbanzo soup that I want to freeze, I will use rice instead of potato.

Lars

o

Oh Lars that looks great im going to make it- thanks for posting. I forgot about chili!
I assume soups with cheese do not freeze well either?

o

blueiris,

Nancy's Loaded Baked Potato Soup has cheese and it freezes beautifully.

/tricia

o

For soup/chili destined for the freezer I like to make a concentrated form of it (use less liquid), and when I reheat it I'll add more water or stock. This helps reduce the amount of space it requires in the freezer.

Quick-freeze it in single-serving size containers, and when frozen I pop it out of the container, stack the soup/chili/stew "cubes" and vacuum-seal them in a FoodSaver bag.

A concentrated chicken or turkey stock with lots of shredded meat in it can be thickened to use on mashed potatoes, which I also make and freeze in individual portions (much of my spring potato crop is now freezer mashed potatoes). I always have some cooked rice/beans/grains in the freezer and I can add some of those when reheating.

Small servings of chili are great as a topping on a baked potato or in a Taco Salad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SLOW COOKER SPICY CABBAGE AND PORK SOUP
(source: Betty Crocker)
Makes 8-servings

1# pork boneless country-style ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (2-cups)
2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1-cup)
1 medium potato, peeled, cut into 1/2x1/4-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2-cup)
4 c. chopped cabbage
1/4 c. packed brown sugar (I left it out.)
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
4 chicken bouillon cubes (I used sodium-free Herb Ox)
4 cups water
1 can (28-oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained (I used fresh tomatoes)

In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-9 hours.

Nutrition:
1 serving
200 calories
7 g. fat
35 mg. cholesterol
920 sodium
22 g. carbohydrates
4 g. dietary fiber
14 g. protein

Exchanges:
1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1-1/2

-Grainlady

o

I'm all about soup!

I agree: they all freeze great except noodles and potatoes.

And consider adding a stack of recipes and a soup pot and ladle! Soup is very easy to make while studying. :-)

o

Thanks so much for your help! And look what I just found - this is interesting:

http://www.soupchick.com/2011/09/how-to-freeze-and-reheat-soup.html

o

Last winter I made a big pot of potato soup. I hadit that day and it was wonderful.I froze it in one serving portions and the first time I thawed and heated some for dinner it curdled and look awful. There's still some in my freezer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here