Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turkey Wings

Posted by mike1975 (jakeseacrest@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 19:39

I've been having such a craving for turkey wings that I picked some up today. Does anyone have a good recipe for some tender oven baked wings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turkey Wings

I usually use the wings for soup. That said, there is a recipe that has been posted here often - apologies as I do not know who to give credit to. It is called sticky chicken. The chicken is roasted at a lower temp and the blend of seasonings sound fantastic.

You could do a search or perhaps someone here could provide it.

o

Oh Wow! I love turkey wings - just can't find them easily, but when I see them, stand back, Mildred!

Sometimes I just bake them on a baking (cookie) sheet with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic salt, etc. Whatever you like in the way of seasonings. I might add some BBQ sauce the last half hour.

And Sticky Chicken can be great Sticky Turkey Wings too. You might want to cook the turkey wings a little less time than a whole chicken. Start checking the wings after 3 hours at 250F.

Roasted Sticky Chicken
Recipe By :Sharon Worster Personal Chef's Network

3 pounds whole chicken, or turkey pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large onion -- quartered

Combine all spices together in a small bowl. Rub mixture into chicken/turkey WELL, inside & out, patting into the skin & try to make it evenly distributed. Put in a large bag & refrigerate overnight. If you don't have time for this step it will still be delicious!
Just before roasting, stuff the cavity w/ onions. If the onion will fit into the cavity whole, I do it this way as we love baked onions.
Roast uncovered @ 250* (YES, THAT'S 250*) X 5 hours (YES, THAT'S 5 HOURS). Baste often w/ pan juices until they caramelize in the pan. Chicken will turn golden brown.

Sharon's NOTES : These freeze GREAT & I recommend you make several of them at one time since your oven is on for so long! This chicken is to die for & falls off the bone!!!

For Heating: You can bring these straight from the freezer if you want! I've done this for years in my own home & here's how I do it. From the freezer: Put in the microwave on a plate covered w/ papertowels & heat on high X 5-7 minutes. Then, place in a 350* oven X 15-20 minutes or until hot throughout.

Or, you can thaw in the refrigerator overnight, wrap in foil and heat in a low oven for 20-30 minutes.

o

Teresa - I thought I remember you being one of those that posted the sticky chicken recipe. Funny that you mention that wings are hard to find. Turkey parts have always been easy to find year round in Minnesota. I was thinking about that as I was responding to Mike. I'm sure that is because Minnesota ranks at the top of turkey producers in the US. About a month ago I went to a store for some thighs and necks to make soup. All they had in the case were wings. The butcher informed me they would have all parts available the following day.

Up North Teresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here