SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Apple pie failure

sally2_gw
10 years ago

I made an apple over the weekend for Jerry's birthday, and the apples turned to mush. I mean, total, apple sauce mush. I have no idea what went wrong. I used Granny Smith apples, like I always do, since that's what's available around here for baking. It was embarrassing, since it was for a dinner party, too. Everyone said they liked it, but I thought it was awful.

I used a recipe from King Arthur Flour's cookbook, a recipe I've used before with great success.

One thing I did differently was use hard apple cider instead of the apple juice version of apple cider, since it's what I had on hand, but the recipe calls for rum too, so the alcohol shouldn't have made a difference. I did not use rum. Here's the recipe I used.

The Best Apple Pie

One 9-inch piecrust

3 1/4 pounds (about 9 whole apples) Cortland, Granny Smith, or other baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (7 to 8 cups)

1/4 cup (2 ounces) apple cider
1 tablespoon rum (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/4 cup (1 ounce) cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir together the apples, cider, rum, lemon juice, and vanilla. Whisk together the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the apples to coat them evenly.

Roll one piece of piecrust into a 13-inch round and lay it gently in a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon in the filling. Roll out the other piece, lay it atop the filling, and seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk and sprinkle it with coarse sugar, if desired. Or save a bit of the crust and cut decorative leaf designs, laying them in the center of the crust or around the edges. Cut a few slashes in the crust, or a round hole in the center, to vent steam.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 to 55 minutes, until the top is brown and filling is bubbly.

Sally

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional