Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appetizers for a chili party

Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 19:09

Offered to bring something for a friends BD party next weekend and they suggested appys. The main meal will be chili. Three different kinds with a variety of toppers. We will be partying in the back yard around a fire pit. Fridge, oven, and stove top access is not a challenge. I'm clueless tonight......ideas/recipes.

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appetizers for a chili party

David, how about Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges and Dipping Sauce?

Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Dipping Sauce

2 pounds, 4 ounces sweet potatoes, unpeeled
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
chili powder, to taste (try using chipotle chili powder for a smoky heat)
1-1/4 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 375 F. Scrub the sweet potatoes well and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the potatoes into 3-4 inch wedges. Place in a bowl with the oil and toss gently to coat.

Place the wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with chili powder and salt. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned on the edges.

To make the dipping sauce, place the sour cream, sweet chili sauce, green onions and cilantro in a bowl, mix together and season. Cover and refrigerate.

Serve the hot wedges with the dipping sauce.

Source: The Quick Recipe Cookbook, copyright 2000

Lori

o

Hot Pepper Cheesecake? This recipe is KatieC's, in my family they like it made with Habanero gold instead of jalapeno jelly, but whatever you can get your hands on works.

JALAPENO CHEESECAKE (MY FAVORITE)
8 ounces cream cheese
5 ounces sharp che4ddar cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic
1 egg
8 ounces jalapeno jelly

Mix first four ingredients with half of the jelly. Pour mixture into greased 6 inch springform pan. Bake at 350 for 335 minutes. Cool completely and remove from pan, heat remaining jelly and pour over top of cheesecake. Serve with crackers.

Note: I made a double batch and baked it in a round cake pan with a "releaser" bar that spins around the bottom to prevent sticking. I just dumped it out and spread the jelly on the bottom, no one notices because it�s covered with jelly!!

Or Cheese thumbprints? Here they are also made with Habanero Gold, but you could use different fillings for an assortment, or add olives or pecans, whatever suits you.
It's a recipe I got from Readinglady and people usually love it.

Savory Cheddar and Jalape�o Jelly Cookies from Rick Rodgers

Makes about 4 1/2 dozen

8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, apple butter or chutney

Place cheese and butter in a food processor (could be creamed by hand or mixer); add flour and process until the mixture forms a soft dough. Gather up the dough and divide into two flat disks. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until chilled, about 45 minutes.

Position two racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 400�. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use nonstick sheets.

Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll the dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or 1/2-inch-thick dowel, poke an indentation in each cookie. Place the jelly in a small plastic bag and force it down into one corner. Snip off the corner of the bag to make a small hole. Pipe the jelly into the indentations.

Return to the oven and bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. (Cookies will continue to crisp as they cool.) Transfer to racks and cool completely.

Can be baked up to two days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container and separate layers with wax paper.

have fun, no matter what you decide.

Annie

o

I haven't recorded the original posters name but I'm almost certain that MQmoi posted this recipe, or maybe it was the next!!!!! None the less both recipes are great casual snacks. I'd also think of nachos done up a few different ways. Seems to me I recall a fabulous Queso (?), cheese dip that was served with nachos, why can't I find it ? It was from San Antonio and I think it was called Rita's Cheese dip...help me someone!

Spicy Spanish Walnuts Or Pecans

2 Tbl butter
3 Tbl sugar
2 Tsp each orange and lime Grated peel
1 Tsp ground coriander
cinnamon, and cloves
1/4 Tsp each red pepper Ground (cayenne) and salt
2 Cups walnut (or pecan halves)

1. Melt butter in medium saucepan on low heat.
2. Add sugar, peels and spices.~
3. Toss nuts w/spice mixture. Spoon onto cookie sheet.~
4. Bake at 300 for 20 minutes or until nuts are toasted. Stir every 5 minutes. Let cool.~

Nuts & Bolts

1 Lb butter
2 Tbl Lea and Perrin Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbl garlic powder
1 1/2 Tsp celery salt
1 1/2 Tsp onion salt
4 Cup cherrios
4 Cup shreddies or Wheat chex
4 Cup Life cereal
2 boxes pretzels
2 Cup salted peanuts
1 box Bugles
1 box Cheese Nips or Cheese Bites
Heat oven to 250. Place butter and Worcsetershire in very large roaster and put in the oven to melt the butter while oven is preheating. Add all the rest of the ingredients and stir well to coat evenly with the butter.

o

David, this is a favorite of my family. Bet you'd like it too.

SPINACH CON QUESO

2 C. Queso cheese , shredded
2 or 3 Jalapeno peppers, chopped (I use 3)
1/2 C. half & half
1/3 C. onion, chopped fine
1 teas. cumin
salt to taste
1/2 box thawed, chopped spinach, drained, squeezed and chopped
2 T roasted red pepper, chopped

Heat all ingredients over low heat in the top of a double boiler, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Makes about 2 cups

Note: I almost always double the recipe because it sure doesn't last long once people get a taste of it. It's so simple and so good!

jude

o

I would do stuffed jalapeno peppers. Half the peppers, remove the seed and membrane and stuff with cream cheese. Wrap in half a slice of thin bacon and broil until done or bacon crisp.

We love this. There are several variations, but always good.

o

Chili goes well with bread. I'd guess some of the chili is going to be spicey so I'd steer towards snacks that cool the burn. Maybe a creamy spinach dip with some chunky rye bread? Bread sticks that can be dipped in the chili? Garlic bread sounds really good right now. Soft pretzels could be good. Crackers with cheese?... maybe with sliced smoked brisket? I often down a handful of nuts when eating chili... I live on chili for months if not years at a time. Sweet chocolate snacks good after a bowl of chili.

Hope you have a fun party!

: )
lyra

o

Annie, the Jalapeno Cheesecake sounds great. However, I think there is a typo in the baking time....335 minutes sounds a little long to me....LOL What is the correct time?

I think a fruit or sweet based appy would go well with chili. Here is a recipe for Pumpkin Dip as an idea.

Pumpkin Dip
2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preparation:
Cream together pumpkin and cream cheese. Add in all other ingredients until well blended. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with gingersnaps and graham crackers.

Just another thought for you from a "lurker"....:)
Murphy

o

I haven't tried this recipe but I saw Guy Fieri do it onb the FN and they looked good.

I'm also adding my stuffed mushroom recipe. Not exactly Mexican themed but they are always a hit.

Jalapeno Poppers - Italian Style (guys Big Bite)

15 jalapenos
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 pounds mild Italian sausage casings removed
2 cups mascarpone or cream cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan plus more for garnish
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Minced chives (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Place jalapenos on a sheet tray and roast for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Heat the oil in a medium saute pan. Add onions, peppers, garlic and sausage and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove and place in a large bowl.
Cool to room temperature, then add mascarpone, and Parmesan. Mix ingredients thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.~

Place approximately 1 tablespoon of mixture into each jalapeno half, and top with 1/2 teaspoon of mozzarella cheese.~

Place the sheet tray of stuffed peppers in oven and bake for 5 minutes or until mozzarella cheese melts.~

Garnish with minced chives and Parmesan.

Stuffed Mushrooms

20 large white mushrooms
1/3 Cup butter (maybe a bit more)
4 or 5 green onions, chopped fine
2-2 1/2 cups grated cheddar
1/3 Cup bread crumbs
salt

Clean mushrooms and carefully remove stems. Chop stems finely (I use the food processor). Melt butter in a saute pan. Saute mushroom stems and onions over medium heat until soft but not browned and the stems have given up their juices. Mixture should be quite moist. Add the bread crumbs, only enough to absorb the liquid. Add the grated cheese and stir just until it has melted. Don't worry if the oil separates from the cheese.

Stuff the mixture into the caps and sprinkle with a bit of salt or you can salt after they come out of the oven...which is what I usually do.

Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the caps are nice and soft.

o

Is this what you were looking for, Chase?

Posted by chase (My Page) on Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 9:49

I made this dip for a Canada Day get together and it was a big hit.

Rita's Queso from "Rita's on the River" in San Antonio

Originally posted by Brenda55 on the Cooking Forum.

Brenda's notes: This recipe was in the SA paper several months ago and a reader had asked for this recipe from Rita's on the River because it was "the best queso we have ever eaten". I just recently fixed it and it was for us also the best queso. I changed the recipe somewhat for the heat impaired in my house and served the pica de gallo on top, which I really liked as it added the crunch with the creamy queso. I hope you enjoy as much as we did. I also halved the recipe and we still had enough left to serve over some soft tacos the next night.

Can be cut in half or thirds

Rita's Queso

3 Lb white American cheese ( Use Queso Blanco Instead ) *
2 Cup half and half
1 Cup heavy cream
1 Cup sour cream
1 Cup salsa (your favorite recipe)
1-1/2 T. Lawry's Seasoned Salt (or your favorite seasoning)
1 Tbl Tabasco sauce

Pico de Gallo

2 Cups ripe tomatoes chopped
1/2 Cup chopped onions
2 Tbl minced fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles
2-3 T. chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbl fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

For queso: cut white cheese into 1 to 2 inch cubes, set aside. Combine all ingredients, except cheese and Pico de Gallo in microwave-safe dish. Add cheese and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stop and stir and repeat twice; then reduce to 2 minutes until mixture is hot and well mixed.

Recipe can be reduced by half or a third.

Pico de Gallo

Combine tomatoes, onions, chiles, salt, cilantro and lime juice in bowl.

Let set for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Drain before placing on top of queso.

Food editor's notes: It can also be made in a slow cooker to keep it hot and to avoid a skin forming on the surface. You can adjust the heat level easily with salsa, pico de gallo and Tabasco.

My notes:

I could not get Queso Blanco at the cottage so used Monterey Jack cheese.

I served the Pico separate from the Queso rather than on top

Here is a link that might be useful: Queso dip thread

o

My first thought was poppers but then I thought it would be better to have something that doesn't duplicate the same ingredients as the chili and toppings.
So, I would do some kind of spicy, marinated cold shrimp on skewers with some crackers or flatbreads or tortilla chips. Actually a Mexican dolmade would be good to me; a miniature bit of cold spicy rice to off set the heat of chili.

But I love simple stuff: chips and salsa.

o

Chi, that's it! What a trooper you are. I don't know what happened to my copy .....Thanks

o

Wow Murphy! What a unique idea! I know that will go over very well at work this fall. Thanks for posting!

o

Thanks for all the great ideas and recipes everyone! I was really drawing a blank on this last night. Glad to be on track with some ideas now. I'll decide on two or three that have been posted and report back here next weekend. Looks like our temps will be pushing close to 90 by the weekend. Guess we will be partying in shorts by the fire. LOL!

David

o

Ok rub it in...we'll be enjoying low 50's daytime , hopefully pushing 60, for our Thanksgiving this weekend. Night time lows in the 30's.

Great cooking, eating and cuddling weather!

Have fun David, no matter what you make it will be great and a good time will be had by all....: )

o

Reporting back here finally!

I made the spicey spanish walnuts/pecans.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The hot pepper jelly cookies.

Spinach artichoke dip...requested by the BD girl.

Thanks to some drama from my teenage nephew I didn't take this on until after midnight the night before the party. Hence, the bad pics with a flash... it was around three in the morning. NOT, LOL about that!! They were dropped off the next morning on my to work at the host house. The party was great fun and most of the recipes shared here showed up via other people. Poppers, stuffed shrooms, two kinds of queso, and some killer homemade salsa. I did make a couple of loaves of Elvis pound cake that was cut up for the chocolate fountain too. No pics though.

Thanks again for getting me on track and for the recipes. I'll be making some of the others for football games now that we are in that mode. Those sweet potatoe wedges for sure(love them and have made them in the past Lori) and Murphy I have your dip on the list for the office Halloween Party.

Thanks again for your input and recipes all y'all!!

P.S. I hope all of our Canadian friends had a great Thanksgiving weekend. Sorry I missed it due to a busy schedule last weekend. Sharon, I hope you enjoyed your leftover sandwich the the next day....my favorite part of the holiday. I always hide some good stuffing from the bird for mine...LOL!

David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here