SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Heavy cream in bread recipe

Lars
10 years ago

The last loaf of bread I made was a Scandinavian rye bread, and as an experiment, I decided to use heavy cream in place of part of the water, but I also increased the total liquid so that it would not be too dry, since cream is not water. The loaf came out extremely dense, which is okay for rye, but is this the fault of the cream, or did I do something else wrong? I have made the recipe before, without cream, and so I do not think it was anything else. I used 1-1/4 cups of rye flour, 1-1/2 cups white flour, 2-1/2 tbsp semolina, 1-1/2 tbsp VWG. The semolina has never made the bread this heavy before, and so I am thinking it must have been the cream. I don't usually have cream on hand, but I did have some that I wanted to use up. I will add it to scone, pancake, and waffle recipes with good results, and the pancakes I made last week-end using cream were very light and fluffy, even though I did not add Vodka, since we were out. I usually do add a tsp of Vodka to pancake or waffle batter, and they come out much lighter and fluffier this way. I won't be adding Vodka to my bread, although I do have a beer bread recipe that I like.

What do you think happened? The bread is still edible and tasty - but about 2/3 the normal size. I'm slicing it thinner to compensate. Should I have not reduced the amount of water when I added cream?

Lars

Comments (3)