SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Potato Frittata or Spanish Omelet

Lars
9 years ago

I'm not sure what I made for breakfast this morning, but it started out as a Spanish omelet but ended up more like a frittata, I think. I've made it several times and have finally come up with proportions that I like and therefore wrote them down for future reference. Here's what I made:

Potato Frittata

2-3 tbsp olive oil (approx)
1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 ripe chilies (Jalapeno, Serrano, Cayenne, etc. combination), minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped, or 4 small sweet ripe peppers
1-1/4 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (approximately three medium sized), cut into quarters lengthwise and then into 3/16" thick slices
3/4 tsp dried thyme
6 oz grated cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Asiago, Manchego, or Gouda, etc.)
5-6 eggs
2 tsp water
salt, to taste, depending on cheese selected

Preheat oven to 360 degrees.

Heat olive oil in 10" cast iron skillet skillet. Add onion and saute for a few minutes - then add the peppers and saute for 2 minutes more. Add the potatoes and saute, stirring to make sure that the chilies and onions do not stay on the bottom. You may need to add a small amount of oil at this point, but it should be minimal. Cook potatoes for a total of 10 minutes on medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle with salt and thyme, as desired, and add the cheese, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and adjust mixture so that it is an even depth across the pan.

Beat the eggs with the water, and add about 1/2 tsp salt, if needed. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture, and tilt pan so that eggs get evenly distributed. Put the skillet in the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until eggs are set.

Cut the frittata into six wedges and serve.

Serves 2-3 people.

------------------------------

I used Cheddar cheese this time and measured it. I saw Martha Stewart make something similar on TV earlier that morning, but she made it in two pans and used 18 eggs. I don't remember how much of the other ingredients she used, but she used a lot more onion and no chilies or peppers. I don't think she used cheese either - if so, it was a paltry amount. Hers was largely egg and onion, but it did contain potatoes.

I think adding the extra ingredients makes it something besides a Spanish omelet, but I really like the addition of the chilies, and I have so many of them ripe in my yard at the moment. I did NOT use any Habaneros, as they are way too hot for this recipe, but I did use two Cayenne and two ripe Serrano chilies. I used four small sweet chilies instead of the red bell pepper because that's what I had on hand. Despite the seemingly large amount of cheese, there was not that much cheese flavor in the final product. I used five eggs, but it seemed that six would have been better.

How do you make Spanish Omelete / Frittata? Do you just throw whatever you happen to have into a frittata? I do not use leftovers when I make them.

Lars

Comments (5)