Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Rice Help

Posted by elisamcs (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 18:54

In an effort to cook more healthily, I'm trying out brown rice. I've tried it several times with absolutely no luck. I'm following the directions on the bag: 1 cup of brown rice to 2 1/2 cups of water, butter and salt optional. Are there any tricks I should know????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Rice Help

Yes. The trick is to use Alton Brown's method. Foolproof for me, and many others agree.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

o

Many thanks. I'm going to try this. Making the rice in the oven was the one method I haven't tried.

o

That recipe is the only way I can make brown rice. Have never added butter to it though.

I also add chopped carrots, onions and celery and chicken broth for the liquid. We love it.

o

There are many different types of brown rice, you may have to play around with the recipes a little.

dcarch

o

I cook brown rice in the microwave... twice the amount of water as rice ( or use broth...yumm!) Big...BIIIIG glass dish with a cover ( we don't want it boiling over)...cook on high to a hard boil, let rest for 5 minutes, bring to a boil again.....and set on 30% power for 12 minutes.
Check after 8 minutes to fluff and see if it needs a little more water....rice differs in the amount it will absorb....continue cooking, let stand 5 to 10 minutes,...fluff, butter and salt and pepper and yum.

You can also get good results by cooking it like pasta....in more than enough water to well cover....simmering until tender and then straining....but I hate to strain out all the good "stuff".

o

I like to add vegetables to rice as I cook it so that I get a rice & vegetable dish together. This way also the vegetables stay hot longer. I do not have a fool-proof method of doing this, but what I'm doing now is starting with one cup of brown basmati rice, which I wash, rinse, and then soak in two inches of water in a sauce pan for about 30 minutes to an hour (obviously I have to start early if using this method). Then I drain and rinse the rice and return it to the pan with two cups of water. If I am cooking hard vegetables, such as broccoli stems (which I slice thinly), I add them at this time and simmer the rice for a total of 40 minutes. If I am adding mushrooms or broccoli florets or any frozen vegetables, I add them just ten minutes before I think the rice will be done. If I plan on adding a lot of mushrooms, I reduce the amount of cooking water a bit - this is not an exact science yet, but I like the results. I often add celery and onion as well and reduce the water when adding those. In the past when I have tried cooking the brown rice with vegetables, the rice did not get done, but when I soak the rice before cooking, it always gets cooked through. I sometimes add butter at the beginning of cooking and sometimes at the end. I don't use black pepper with rice (except when adding mushrooms), but I often add chilies or cayenne.

I think I'll try the Alton method, however, because I've never cooked rice in the oven.

Lars

o

I've been using a boil and drain method myself. Cook it basically as you would pasta, boil until soft then drain in a colander. To me this is the simplest way. Alton Brown's recipe does work but it's not a simple as boiling plus you have to heat the oven.

o

Although I have had it not cook through on occasion, and too much extra liquid left over, the brand that I buy says to use 2 1/4 cups of water for 1 cup of rice, and also to cook it for 50 minutes instead of 20 like regular rice. I have a feeling that the humidity makes some difference, since I live in a humid climate. I do plan to try the oven method sometime. I really do like the nutty taste and texture of brown rice over white.

o

Pressure cooker rice is completely fail-safe for making any kind of rice, brown, white, black, red ----, doesn't matter.

1. Rice can never be burned.

2. You can make any quantity, from one spoon of rice to whatever, depending the size of your PC.

3. Don't cook rice direct in the PC, you need to put the rice in a separate container, otherwise the rice can boil over and clog the vent.

4. No need to stir, checking timer, etc. No need to throw away water with all the nutrition and flavor.

5. If the rice comes out too hard, just add some water and cook again. The rice will come out perfect to your preference.

Like Lars, I like adding other things in PC cooking rice; beans, peanuts, meat, ham, sausages, etc.

dcarch

o

I use a one to one ratio and haven't had any trouble. If you're using a lot of water and then draining it, you're going to drain away all the water soluable B vitamins that were the reason you're eating brown rice in the first place! The oil adds a little slippery slideyness (back of EJ!) to the rice and an unctous texture and taste, but isn't necessary and if you're cutting down on fat to be healthy you don't need it. Can add veg or chicken bouillon cubes to rice cooking water for the taste of veggies or meat without the time and fuss to prepare and add them to the rice while cooking. DC is right, different type of rice cook differently. Long grain cooks in less time and is fluffier than short grain. But short grain good for creamier dishes like rice pudding. You can soak rice and then drain to shorten the cooking time, but I don't like to do that because it does rinse away those vitamins! Not all, but some.

o

There is yet one more method..... A soaked method using water and an acidic ingredient. This makes the grain easier to digest and there are more available nutrients when you soak grain first.

Soaked Brown Rice

2 c. rice
4 c. warm water
4 T. (your choice) yogurt, whey, kefir, buttermilk, vinegar, or lemon juice (I use whey from my kefir).

Place all in your cooking vessel. Let soak at least 7-hours, and up to 24-hours. Bring to a boil and remove any foam/scum. Add 1 t. sea salt and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Cover tightly and cook for 45-minutes without removing the lid.

Cut or multiply the ingredients proportionately to cook smaller or larger amounts of rice.

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here