SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Apple Slab Recipe for Trudy

annie1992
10 years ago

Trudy, don't be afraid of the dough, it's actually very easy to handle. I did only a bottom dough as I'm not all that fond of pastry/crust, and then put a maple drizzle over the apples after the slab was baked. I used the basic glaze recipe, but added maple flavoring. I'm thinking it would be yummy with caramel too.

Anyway, here's the recipe, it's from Midwest Living, originally called Apple Bars or something similar. It's always been "slab pie" to me, LOL, so that's what I call it. I usually leave the cornflakes out, just because I seldom have cornflakes on hand It's fine without them, although they do add a bit of crunch.

Apple Slab

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 egg yolk
Milk
1 cup cornflakes
8 -10 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (8 cups)
3/4-1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
3 -4 teaspoons milk

In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a liquid measuring cup, beat egg yolk lightly. Add enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Stir well to combine. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture with a fork until combined (dough will be slightly sticky). Divide mixture in half.

On a well-floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 17x12-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Transfer to a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and unfold dough, pressing to fit into the bottom and sides of the pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes. Top evenly with apples. In a small bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Roll remaining dough to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Place atop apples and unfold dough. Crimp edges or use the tines of a fork to seal. Cut slits in the top. Brush top with beaten egg white.
Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 50 minutes or until golden and apples are tender, covering with foil after the first 25 minutes of baking time to prevent overbrowning.

In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.

Nutrition Facts

carb. (g) 21, chol. (mg) 7, Fat, total (g) 7, iron (mg) 1, vit. A (IU) 49, vit. C (mg) 1, calcium (mg) 10, sodium (mg) 83, sugar (g) 12, fiber (g) 1, sat. fat (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 147, pro. (g) 1

I just bought a peck of Jonagolds for $2.50, now I have to make something else with apples!

Annie

Comment (1)