Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana Something

Posted by nancedar (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 18:34

Bought a bunch of bananas that were brown speckled organic on the 75% marked down shelf. Now that I am officially sick of smoothies. banana walnut bread, and banana pudding, what can I do with them?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana Something

I've made these at least 5 times since I found the recipe in August. Great as a breakfast bar or substantial energy snack. -Grainlady

BLUEBERRY COCONUT PECAN BREAKFAST COOKIES

1-1/2 c. rolled oats (I also use 3/4 c. oats and 3/4 c. almond flour)
1 c. unsweetened coconut flakes
1 T. golden flaxmeal
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 c. dried blueberries (or other dried fruit)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c. coconut oil, warm enough to be liquid
1 T. agave nectar (or you could use honey or coconut nectar)
1 t. vanilla extract
Cooking spray.

Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Combine oats, coconut, flaxmeal, salt, pecans, and blueberries. Stir in bananas, oil, agave nectar and vanilla until well combined.

Press 2 T. of mixture into a 2-1/2-inch round cookie cutter onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray (I use parchment paper). Continue with remaining mixture.

Bake at 350-degrees for 25 minutes or until fragrant and golden. Cool on pan. Yield: about 15 cookies.

[Grainlady note: If all I have is 2 bananas it works just as well. Increase the coconut oil 1 T. more and use 2 T. agave nectar instead of 1 T. I also toss in some organic cacao nibs sometimes.]

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberry Coconut Pecan Breakfast Cookies

o

This looks yummy to me, it's from the chiquita web site:

Here is a tropically kicked-up version of banana cake, infused with extra banana and coconut. Using a coating of turbinado sugar in the pan makes a sweet crunchy coating. You can use a mini bundt cake pan or jumbo muffin pans; invert the cakes to decorate and serve. This cake is nice and light and perfect topped with fresh bananas, pineapple or strawberries. A dollop of fresh whipped cream makes this a fabulous dessert.

Ingredients:
�� Canola cooking spray
��3 Tbsp. Turbinado sugar
��2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
��1 cup toasted Unsweetened coconut, cooled
��2 tsp. Baking powder
��1/2 tsp. Baking soda
��1/2 tsp. Salt
��3 Chiquita Bananas, very ripe , peeled
��1/2 cup Cream of coconut
��1/2 cup Low-fat sour cream
��1 tsp. Vanilla extract
��1/2 tsp. Banana extract
��1/2 cup Butter, softened
��1 cup Sugar
��2 large Eggs
�� Optional Toppings: Orange marmalade, turbinado sugar, or fresh fruit for garnish

Instructions for:

easy Tropical Chiquita Banana Coconut Mini Bundt Cakes Recipe

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 12 jumbo muffin cups or mini bundt cake cups with cooking spray. Sprinkle the inside of each cup evenly with turbinado sugar. Tap out any excess sugar. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, toasted coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside. In another large mixing bowl mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Whisk in the cream of coconut, sour cream and extracts; whisk just until smooth. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time; beat just until blended. On medium speed, alternately add the reserved wet and dry ingredients into the butter mixture; start and end with the dry. Start each addition on low speed for 30 seconds and then medium speed just until combined. Add the batter to the prepared pans and bake on the middle oven rack for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert and cool completely on a serving plate. Add optional toppings just before serving: orange marmalade, fresh fruit, or a sprinkle of turbinado sugar. ��-- Recipe idea and photo courtesy of Lorraine Stevenski for the Ultimate Chiquita Banana Recipe Contest.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe link.

o

I was just on a blog that I like and noticed some good sounding banana recipes. Including.. Banana Whoopie Pies...

Link below.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bananas

o

I really like the banana cake that jgarner posted here some time ago. The notes are hers. I don't even like bananas, but I like this.

Banana Cake (Rose Levy Berenbaum�s Cordon Rose Cake)
Jgarner-Cooking Forum

(good as layer cake, elegant, delicate texture)
mix together:
sifted cake flour 2 cups (200 g)
sugar 3/4 c + 2 Tbs (170g)
baking soda 1 tsp
baking powder 3/4 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp
puree together:
2 large ripe bananas 1 c (227 g)
sour cream 2 Tbs or up to 1/2 c (30 g to 121 g)
2 large eggs 2 (100 g)
grated lemon zest 2 tsp
(I left this out since I don't like the flavor of lemon with banana)
vanilla 1-1/2 tsp
soften:
Butter 10 Tbs (5 oz) (142 g)
Add butter and half of pureed mixture to dry ingredients in stand mixer and mix at medium with paddle for 1-1/2 minutes. Scrape bowl and add rest of banana mixture in two batches, mixing 20 seconds after each addition. Pour into 9"x2" round pan (I just lined the bottom with parchment, no spray or butter) and bake at 350 F for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in pan and then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Hint: Use smallest amount of sour cream and 3 bananas for more pronounced banana flavor
Cream Cheese Icing
Cream cheese, softened 8 oz.
Butter, softened 5 TBS (2.5 oz)
Sour cream 1 Tbs
Vanilla extract 1/2 tsp.
Rum 1 Tbs
Powdered sugar 1 1/4 C (5 oz)
Process (yeah, the food processor) or beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream, and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and pulse until smooth. Makes enough to frost the top of a 9x13 sheet cake.

I know you make jam, and I have this recipe, although I haven't tried it and am still trying to decide whether it's a good idea or not, LOL. It came from Harvest....

Banana Jam
4 cups prepared fruit (about 11 fully ripe medium bananas)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. EVER-FRESH or Fruit Fresh Fruit Protector (optional)
1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)
6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
MASH bananas thoroughly. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir lemon juice and fruit protector into prepared fruit in saucepot.
STIR pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

STIR in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here